My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Any suggestions?

Earlier today, I had a couple of important folders open, and windows 10 chocked on me. When I finally was able to exit the system, and restart it, both folders were gone. Everything had open, is simply gone. I can do without a word and excel do ent I had open, but need the files in those folders that are now missing.

The were in the trash can, or elsewhere. Just missing.

I then, in retrospect, made matters worse. I did a full virus check with Norton. Just the directory entry pointers were missing. Now it's possible with more activity, I overwrote what ever sectors these 8GB plus of important data were on. These files are about 4 weeks old now.

Anyway, Norton was set to shutdown the computer when finished. I then bought a mSATA to USB3 adaptor, and cloned the drive to a fresh 1 TB HD. I already had my laptop set for cloning and have two USB 3.0 to SATA adapters, so the process was simple. The cloning process took a miserable hour and 23 minutes though. I'm ready to put the new 1 TB drive in my tower, and see if the latest automatic backup on my other internal 1 TB drive will fix it. I doubt it will, but I'm going to try.

Anyway, if this isn't successful, does anyone know of good software that will scan a hard drive for such missing files?

Maybe I need a RAID...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Thanks, but I'll do without those files. Makes a legal case harder for me, but I already have ample evidence.

I resorted to using my last Norton backup which was about an hour before the files disappeared. problem was, these were Home Security DVR videos and I didn't have Norton set to back them up. When I set it up in the past, I wasn't doing anything with video. I at least updated that setting now.

I hadn't yet had a recent clone of my Tower. I did of my laptop. Anyway, it promoted me to buy two more hard drives. I now have a fresh clone of each, and in computer automatic backups. My MSI laptop is strange with windows 10 as well. I had a clone on the original HD from it, but took it out as the fresh clone. The new HD I bought is a 1 TB Barracuda. The clone to the original 2.5" drive took around 1-1/2 hours. It only took 25 minutes to the Barracuda, using the same setup. Well, the barracuda is going back in the laptop to get reformatted, and save the automatic backups on, and as a data drive.

Know of any Home Security DVR systems that use USB 3.0 or 3.1? All I have seen use USB 2.0, and it takes a long time to copy video from the DVR at those speeds.

I did buy an eSATA cable to SATA, and I'm going to try that route for backup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Recuva"
    Love the name.
    "We b comin from the streetz to yours komputor"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, but I'll do without those files. Makes a legal case harder for me, but I already have ample evidence.

I resorted to using my last Norton backup which was about an hour before the files disappeared. problem was, these were Home Security DVR videos and I didn't have Norton set to back them up. When I set it up in the past, I wasn't doing anything with video. I at least updated that setting now.

I hadn't yet had a recent clone of my Tower. I did of my laptop. Anyway, it promoted me to buy two more hard drives. I now have a fresh clone of each, and in computer automatic backups. My MSI laptop is strange with windows 10 as well. I had a clone on the original HD from it, but took it out as the fresh clone. The new HD I bought is a 1 TB Barracuda. The clone to the original 2.5" drive took around 1-1/2 hours. It only took 25 minutes to the Barracuda, using the same setup. Well, the barracuda is going back in the laptop to get reformatted, and save the automatic backups on, and as a data drive.

Know of any Home Security DVR systems that use USB 3.0 or 3.1? All I have seen use USB 2.0, and it takes a long time to copy video from the DVR at those speeds.

I did buy an eSATA cable to SATA, and I'm going to try that route for backup.
    You're watching video of your female roommate?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    You're watching video of your female roommate?
    I see where your mind is.

I pity you.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    muh spreadsheets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see where your mind is.

I pity you.
    You did say your beautiful female friend moved in with you. Now you're scouring through home security footage. It's not far fetched to connect the two. I'd have thought it would be like "snap, there it is" for you.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    You did say your beautiful female friend moved in with you. Now you're scouring through home security footage. It's not far fetched to connect the two. I'd have thought it would be like "snap, there it is" for you.
    I had an attempted break in. All my cameras are outside. I had archived footage of the same dude from prior actions he took that I lost.

You are pathetic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had an attempted break in. All my cameras are outside. I had archived footage of the same dude from prior actions he took that I lost.

You are pathetic.
    If you say so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, I've used Windows 10 since launch, never had a problem. You can also solve this by spending $100 on a 5TB USB3 backup drive and setup Windows to do automated backups with File History. Having backups is always a good idea anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at someone using Norton Antivirus. No wonder you're asking for tech help.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    tbh, I've used Windows 10 since launch, never had a problem. You can also solve this by spending $100 on a 5TB USB3 backup drive and setup Windows to do automated backups with File History. Having backups is always a good idea anyways.
    I had my setup to backup already. I just didn't have the video folder set for backup. That is corrected.

Thread Information