Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it was priceless you'd see more people like Lillard and Carmelo playing for cheap to win a ring. It's not priceless. It's just career jewelry. If you can buy a ring, which a player can do basically by foregoing their salary to move to a stacked team, then it's hardly priceless.
    Some players don't value things that are priceless. Priceless doesn't mean everyone wants it. It just means you can't put a pr Very on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some players don't value things that are priceless. Priceless doesn't mean everyone wants it. It just means you can't put a pr Very on it.
    The term "priceless" means it cannot be purchased for any amount. Think about time with your loved ones after they are gone, memories, certain works of art and literature. NBA championships are bought all the time. Mark Cuban bought one then cashed it in. Teams that pay over the cap for stacked rosters are buying championships. Players that sacrifice money to win rings are buying championships. It doesn't need to mean everyone wants it. Your market size is about 400 players, most of whom would choose money over a ring 100 time out of 100. Guys that wait until they are about to retire before ring chasing obviously don't really value the ring, they are just taking that flailing swing on their way out, like that last second heave from half court that you won't take in normal game situations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The term "priceless" means it cannot be purchased for any amount. Think about time with your loved ones after they are gone, memories, certain works of art and literature. NBA championships are bought all the time. Mark Cuban bought one then cashed it in. Teams that pay over the cap for stacked rosters are buying championships. Players that sacrifice money to win rings are buying championships. It doesn't need to mean everyone wants it. Your market size is about 400 players, most of whom would choose money over a ring 100 time out of 100. Guys that wait until they are about to retire before ring chasing obviously don't really value the ring, they are just taking that flailing swing on their way out, like that last second heave from half court that you won't take in normal game situations.
    Yet there are countless examples teams try to buy a championship and failed. New York, Brooklyn, lakers, are some recent examples.

Money improve your chances but you can't buy it. Thus priceless.

As for the original argument:

No one in their right mind walks away from 70 million. It's impossible. I like rings and all but I'll take the 70m over any accolade, call me a sellout. IDGAF

I have no problems with most people choosing $70m. I think that's fair. I don't agree that choosing a ring over $70m means the person is not of the right kind. Duncan and dirk chose to give better chances at a ring over money, so did west. I think they are of sound mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet there are countless examples teams try to buy a championship and failed. New York, Brooklyn, lakers, are some recent examples.

Money improve your chances but you can't buy it. Thus priceless.

As for the original argument:

I have no problems with most people choosing $70m. I think that's fair. I don't agree that choosing a ring over $70m means the person is not of the right kind. Duncan and dirk chose to give better chances at a ring over money, so did west. I think they are of sound mind.
    "give money" /= 70m

That's half of Tim's net worth, maybe more. That's almost a full Amy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "give money" /= 70m

That's half of Tim's net worth, maybe more. That's almost a full Amy.
    Duncan made $35m his last four seasons when his market price is closer to $70 or $80. Dirk made $16 his last two when he could have pulled in about $50. If want to say that's not exactly $70m, then he my guest. The point is there are many players giving up huge contracts for a better chance at the ring, not even a guaranteed ring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan made $35m his last four seasons when his market price is closer to $70 or $80. Dirk made $16 his last two when he could have pulled in about $50. If want to say that's not exactly $70m, then he my guest. The point is there are many players giving up huge contracts for a better chance at the ring, not even a guaranteed ring.
    You're comparing walking away from a team offering you 70m more than any other team can offer and staying with a team without taking any other offers. Like always, you're not comparing apples to apples. Tim will spend the next 30 years chasing the 25m he lost. Imagine it was 70m. Jesus Christ it would be a forum unto itself. Imagine Blackjack Customs posting a 70m profit and Tim saying "nah".

You don't understand the concept of 70 million. It's more than some corporations post as a quarterly profit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're comparing walking away from a team offering you 70m more than any other team can offer and staying with a team without taking any other offers. Like always, you're not comparing apples to apples. Tim will spend the next 30 years chasing the 25m he lost. Imagine it was 70m. Jesus Christ it would be a forum unto itself. Imagine Blackjack Customs posting a 70m profit and Tim saying "nah".

You don't understand the concept of 70 million. It's more than some corporations post as a quarterly profit.
    I understand it's a lot of money. But there are cases where players realize they have enough money for anger generations and decided that they would rather have a ring.

It's pretty much diminishing returns.

Will I choose $70m over a ring? Sure. Will someone like Chris Paul who already made $130m in his career and will at least make another $130m in his career do it? Hard to say but it's not far fetched as Duncan and nowitzki and west already showed that they would choose winning over money. I'd hardly think that anyone in their right minds wouldn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand it's a lot of money. But there are cases where players realize they have enough money for anger generations and decided that they would rather have a ring.

It's pretty much diminishing returns.

Will I choose $70m over a ring? Sure. Will someone like Chris Paul who already made $130m in his career and will at least make another $130m in his career do it? Hard to say but it's not far fetched as Duncan and nowitzki and west already showed that they would choose winning over money. I'd hardly think that anyone in their right minds wouldn't.
    You don't do that walk away thing in your financial prime though. You do it in your last mini-contract years. There's also a huge difference between choosing career winning where you are part and parcel of the franchise, and ring chasing where the majority of your career you were on a struggling 1st round playoff team and just decided one day you'd try to get one. If I was holding 200m and thought an extra 70 would change 20 years of my career, I'd do it. I won't do it for 2 years of my career though.

Plus, this is why CP3 wanted that provision in the first place, so he could personally cash in. I'd hate to be the agent of a guy who turned down 70m more. Ok maybe hate is a strong word, but I'd prefer the 70m commission.

Regardless, who's to say these teams will pay that for these guys? I don't fully understand the verbiage of the CBA so are the teams required or just allowed to pay it? I wouldn't think you could require it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't do that walk away thing in your financial prime though. You do it in your last mini-contract years. There's also a huge difference between choosing career winning where you are part and parcel of the franchise, and ring chasing where the majority of your career you were on a struggling 1st round playoff team and just decided one day you'd try to get one. If I was holding 200m and thought an extra 70 would change 20 years of my career, I'd do it. I won't do it for 2 years of my career though.

Plus, this is why CP3 wanted that provision in the first place, so he could personally cash in. I'd hate to be the agent of a guy who turned down 70m more. Ok maybe hate is a strong word, but I'd prefer the 70m commission.

Regardless, who's to say these teams will pay that for these guys? I don't fully understand the verbiage of the CBA so are the teams required or just allowed to pay it? I wouldn't think you could require it.
    Sure, but just like you said:

Lefty, just because someone does what they want to do doesn't mean everyone wants the same things. For example, you might like to suck a so you'll go suck a . Others here will likely go have a beer, but you're both doing what you want to do, putting something in your mouths that satisfies you, so technically it's the same thing, but in reality you're a got and we're just beer drinkers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My you would take a kit Kat bar over a ring.

Thread Information