Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    while this might look scientific and is applicable in a sport like basketball where bringing a ball to a player is basically guaranteed if the offense is anything but inept, this metric is beyond pointless in football where positioning, pressing, testing the keeper and opportunism are far more important qualities. Your argument also doesn't take into account the pressure on the opposing defense caused by headers, set pieces (a very important part of the game) and long ball lone wolf play. misty >>> penaldo but in no way is your argument relevant tbh and penaldo is by far the better poacher.

THAT would be your opinion. What the simple calculation shows is that Messi is a more efficient scorer.

If the point of the thread is to show that somehow Ronaldo is the better player simply because he has more goals than Messi then one could point to the fact that he has taken waaaaaaay more shots than the latter to accomplish the feat.

THIS isn't the standalone argument. All this does is provide proper context to counter the OP's claim.
    Last edited by Phenomanul; 06-19-2017 at 11:24 AM.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    THAT would be your opinion. What the simple calculation shows is that Messi is a more efficient scorer.

If the point of the thread is to show that somehow Ronaldo is the better player simply because he has more goals than Messi then one could point to the fact that he has taken waaaaaaay more shots than the latter to accomplish the feat.

THIS isn't the standalone argument. All this does is provide proper context to the OP's claim.
    I understand the rationale but positioning and positional pressure are the most important stats in football tbh. Compared to basketball, football is more about breaking down order and forcing mistakes then attacking orderly and efficiently, thus a player of lower accuracy but higher offensive versatility is a better poacher because he forces the defense to constantly change strategies. Ronaldo has good accuracy, good long range, can play the pivot, has GOAT aerial game and can fake retreat on the wing with the best of them so you need to constantly change the defense for him. Sure he needs a team to be used properly but on a high end team he puts extreme pressure on the back line alone, while messi's creative game distributes pressure on midfileld and back line. Messi generates more pressure overall but ronaldo generates more on the back line. This opens up more poaching opportunities for ronaldo, thus more goals on a slightly worse accuracy. It's also the reason why ronaldo's rate against top teams doesn't vary that much as top teams can distribute pressure efficiently between midfield and defense .. just look at juventus tbh, and thus can better handle pressure from messi. Assuming a top team, the rate of mistakes caused by ronaldo is higher in high stakes games => more defense collapses => more poaching opportunites.

That's why accuracy is weak stat imo.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    I understand the rationale but positioning and positional pressure are the most important stats in football tbh. Compared to basketball, football is more about breaking down order and forcing mistakes then attacking orderly and efficiently, thus a player of lower accuracy but higher offensive versatility is a better poacher because he forces the defense to constantly change strategies. Ronaldo has good accuracy, good long range, can play the pivot, has GOAT aerial game and can fake retreat on the wing with the best of them so you need to constantly change the defense for him. Sure he needs a team to be used properly but on a high end team he puts extreme pressure on the back line alone, while messi's creative game distributes pressure on midfileld and back line. Messi generates more pressure overall but ronaldo generates more on the back line. This opens up more poaching opportunities for ronaldo, thus more goals on a slightly worse accuracy. It's also the reason why ronaldo's rate against top teams doesn't vary that much as top teams can distribute pressure efficiently between midfield and defense .. just look at juventus tbh, and thus can better handle pressure from messi. Assuming a top team, the rate of mistakes caused by ronaldo is higher in high stakes games => more defense collapses => more poaching opportunites.

That's why accuracy is weak stat imo.
    I can agree with what you've said... again, I was simply trying to point at the fact that the total number of goals scored in the vacuum of context is a least weighty argument to prove Player 1 was greater than Player 2.

Thread Information