Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    That's about what I spent last time I shopped there...

Amazon
    said on Friday that it had agreed to buy the upscale grocery chain Whole Foods for $13.4 billion, as the online retailer looks to conquer new territory in the supermarket aisle.

For Amazon, the deal marks an ambitious push into the mammoth grocery business, an industry that in the United States accounts for around $700 to $800 billion in annual sales. Amazon is also amplifying the compe ion with Walmart, which has been struggling to play catch-up to the online juggernaut.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/business/dealbook/amazon-whole-foods.html?_r=0

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What will be interesting is if they implement their "no physical employee" model they have been testing. Simply using technology instead.

Lost jobs, but interesting.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    What will be interesting is if they implement their "no physical employee" model they have been testing. Simply using technology instead.

I mentioned the same thing this morning - I would say the odds are pretty high that's what they are planning. Why build brick and mortar stores to implement this at when you just purchased 365+ existing locations? I'm curious what it's going to do to the retail/grocery industry; Wal-Mart must be ting bricks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    unlikely that they own all the buildings.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    They were close to tossing the towel not long ago.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Whole Foods stock is currently up 29% today and 39% YTD. Jesus, why can't my Financial Advisor ever get it right.

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=WFM

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Whole Foods stock is currently up 29% today and 39% YTD. Jesus, why can't my Financial Advisor ever get it right.

Ummm...fire him? Financial advisors are like lawyers- a dime a dozen and most working the misdemeanor courts for $100 per.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Buy organic non-GMO health food from robots, or traditionally raised/grown food from people... for the same price. Which do you choose?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Buy organic non-GMO health food from robots, or traditionally raised/grown food from people... for the same price. Which do you choose?
    I choose buying regular produce from HEB. LOL paying way more for organic crap.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Easy. Steal from food bank.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not about that IMO. Imagine no more lines or any wait at all. You walk into a grocery store, automatically logged into your account with a preferred payment method grab whatever you want and walk out with being charged for what you grab. No lines, no interaction, no coupons scanned.

You can even load a basket full of stuff online, come and pick it up and be out in minutes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

What is there to get right? Of course they will see a bump after this news, but unless you have inside knowledge, tough luck. Chances are you own some Amazon stock anyway if you have just about any mutual fund.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Not about that IMO. Imagine no more lines or any wait at all. You walk into a grocery store, automatically logged into your account with a preferred payment method grab whatever you want and walk out with being charged for what you grab. No lines, no interaction, no coupons scanned.

You can even load a basket full of stuff online, come and pick it up and be out in minutes.
    That's most likely how it would work honestly. The first paragraph would be difficult logistically.

Of course you'll always have the little old ladies who want to physically shop around, that's why the other stores will never completely go out of business.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    That's most likely how it would work honestly. The first paragraph would be difficult logistically.

Of course you'll always have the little old ladies who want to physically shop around, that's why the other stores will never completely go out of business.
    Not most likely, it is how it will work.

Last edited by Spur|n|Austin; 06-17-2017 at 01:44 AM.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders

<autism>

So? This is great for our economy. I can't wait to see all this money go into the jewish overlord CEO from Amazon's pocketbooks. All those cashiers will just have to learn Python, C++, etc in order to learn automation or else they'll just die off like the s they are!!

</autism>

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

You won't "always" have the little old ladies. Their days are numbered. Amazon will eventually have the food delivered to everyone anyway. How could anyone not jump on that. I'm already creating pirate drones to nick food in the air.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    You won't "always" have the little old ladies. Their days are numbered. Amazon will eventually have the food delivered to everyone anyway. How could anyone not jump on that. I'm already creating pirate drones to nick food in the air.
    Eh, staple box and canned goods maybe, but what happens when you get delivered a ty pint of strawberries with mold on some of them

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Eh, staple box and canned goods maybe, but what happens when you get delivered a ty pint of strawberries with mold on some of them
    I'm pretty sure they'll have it figured out at some point with quality control. But I get your point. People are going to want to pick their fruits, vegetables, and meats.
    But maybe they'll have cameras where you can actually point and click what you want.

Thread Information