Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What could the Cavs offer to the Bulls? Love? Teams still want that stiff? Whatevs... Offseason gonna offseason.
    Sounds like a 3 team trade... I suppose their assets (Cavs) + whatever they can get from other teams in exchange for Love. Something like that.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cleveland doesn't have any assets other than Love, tbh..no young players, no enticing picks, etc..can't see why the Bulls would even want Love, too..

Just an attempt to generate hype IMO..
    Yeah Love in Chicago makes no sense. It would have to be a three way deal. Now Love in Indiana works, their fans would show up in droves to see their great white hope bring class back to the organization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George's agent must have told Cleveland to off if they're after Butler all of a sudden, since George fits their needs much better and will have a lower asking price thanks to his revelation that he's walking next summer.
    Or maybe the Cavs decided they weren't that interested in a one year rental and decided to push for Butler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Butler, LeBron and Kyrie would be a terrible fit, tbh..
    I don't know about "terrible" but PG is clearly an easier fit (in the Durant mold) because of his ability to play off the ball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Love in Chicago makes no sense. It would have to be a three way deal. Now Love in Indiana works, their fans would show up in droves to see their great white hope bring class back to the organization.
    True, same with Boston..if Ainge could pull off a Love-Hayward duo, all those white ex-NBA fans that love college ball would be glued to their TVs, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a 3 team trade... I suppose their assets (Cavs) + whatever they can get from other teams in exchange for Love. Something like that.
    I get that, but my point still stands- what team still thinks Love is anything more than a serviceable player in the right system?
    Sure, he gets stats on teams... put on a good team and you recognize his true worth, which is not that much.

Whether it's a 2nd team, or 3rd team, or whatever- how is Love valued?
    And if it's not Love, who? Thompson? Lol.
    Kyrie? Not even happening. Who?

I just don't get it. If a trade for PG goes through to Cleveland, someone is getting fleeced. Whether they know it, or not.

Believe it... or not(with Jack Palance saying it).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love is not some scrub either. I bet GM's rate him higher than LMA. He's an asset. I could see PHX wanting Love for sure and them sending younger talent (Bledsoe, Chriss, etc.) to IND while PG goes to CLE. Same thing for Butler.

Spurs could definitely get in with LMA but I think we have to consider that SA really likes their team (which I understand but many don't). They were step for step with GS and even with TP injured were giving GS the business in GM1 with also some regular season success against them too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about "terrible" but PG is clearly an easier fit (in the Durant mold) because of his ability to play off the ball.
    Relatively speaking..it would be an awkward fit and unlike in Miami, there wouldn't be the super-human athleticism from LeBron/Wade to negate some of it..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love is not some scrub either. I bet GM's rate him higher than LMA. He's an asset. I could see PHX wanting Love for sure and them sending younger talent (Bledsoe, Chriss, etc.) to IND while PG goes to CLE. Same thing for Butler.

Spurs could definitely get in with LMA but I think we have to consider that SA really likes their team (which I understand but many don't). They were step for step with GS and even with TP injured were giving GS the business in GM1 with also some regular season success against them too.
    If GM's rate him higher than LMA... those are wasted checks being sent to men leading their organizations. Not that that's a shock, or anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or maybe the Cavs decided they weren't that interested in a one year rental and decided to push for Butler.
    Well yeah, if George really is a one year rental that means his agent told the Cavs to off. Because no way they haven't been trying to make moves to land him. He'd be a great fit there and would make them much better against the Warriors.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Yeah I'm not moving George to LA unless I get the #2 pick. Otherwise if you're Indy you just gotta hold out hope you can move him to a contender who can give you a nice player or two. I don't see anything on the Lakers roster other than that lottery pick that offsets the possibility of what they might be able to get elsewhere. And if they lose him for nothing it's no big deal since they'd be trading a dollar for two dimes if they took two of LA2's young guys.
    No contender will give up anything of value unless they get some kind of commitment from PG that he'll re-up or sign an extension. This has all the making of a trade deadline deal where the Pacers end up getting shafted because of the lack of leverage. PG opening up his mouth rather than just walking away when his contract expired is going to be the straw that breaks the Camel's back for the Pacers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone after Jimmy Butler just shows how lousy and watered down the league has become.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone after Jimmy Butler just shows how lousy and watered down the league has become.
    Why? He's a damn good player. Also, he's one of the few "stars" available and lots of teams want to improve. You can only go after who's available. Not like teams are calling SA about Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No contender will give up anything of value unless they get some kind of commitment from PG that he'll re-up or sign an extension. This has all the making of a trade deadline deal where the Pacers end up getting shafted because of the lack of leverage. PG opening up his mouth rather than just walking away when his contract expired is going to be the straw that breaks the Camel's back for the Pacers.
    That's what they'd be hoping for: that George would give his blessing. It's a risk worth taking when the alternative is getting Julian Randle or some other crap that the Lakers don't want anyways. I don't think George did anything wrong. He gave the Pacers plenty of advance notice he is leaving. That's much better than stringing them along and having them make trades to try to accommodate him like OKC did for that got Durant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Define value? I think getting a first rounder + expiring deal (so you aren't taking on more money like w/ PG opting out) + maybe a young cheap player is solid given the cir stances.

They have the leverage against LA in the context of LA knows there is interest from others in PG even at a rental price. If you don't make a solid offer, I am trading him to someone else where they get bird rights and year of winning to convince him.

But it's definitley a game of chance here. Lots of bluffing and lots of risks. IND in a tough, tough spot no doubt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I'm not moving George to LA unless I get the #2 pick. Otherwise if you're Indy you just gotta hold out hope you can move him to a contender who can give you a nice player or two. I don't see anything on the Lakers roster other than that lottery pick that offsets the possibility of what they might be able to get elsewhere. And if they lose him for nothing it's no big deal since they'd be trading a dollar for two dimes if they took two of LA2's young guys.

It's been mentioned a few times, but LA really need to secure his Bird rights. If I'm the Pacers' FO, that's the game I'd be playing for sure. Lakers either put up that #2 pick, or wait till next year and lose all the cap benefits of acquiring his Bird rights with him. And there's always the chance that he changes his mind about LA in that year. Don't forget that the Bird rights are an asset to the player, and benefit him because it allows their teams to pay them more money without handcuffing them.

That #2 pick is probably the only thing the Lakers can/will offer that other teams can't. Without that on the table, they can probably get as much or more for PG from several other teams. Damn straight they'll be playing hard ball with the Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? He's a damn good player. Also, he's one of the few "stars" available and lots of teams want to improve. You can only go after who's available. Not like teams are calling SA about Kawhi.
    I wish he'd come water down the Spurs!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Define value? I think getting a first rounder + expiring deal (so you aren't taking on more money like w/ PG opting out) + maybe a young cheap player is solid given the cir stances.

They have the leverage against LA in the context of LA knows there is interest from others in PG even at a rental price. If you don't make a solid offer, I am trading him to someone else where they get bird rights and year of winning to convince him.

But it's definitley a game of chance here. Lots of bluffing and lots of risks. IND in a tough, tough spot no doubt.
    The Lakers have enough cap space that Indiana won't need to take an expiring contract from them to make the trade work under the cap. The problem with the scenario you're envisioning is Indiana is waiting until 2019 for the first round pick if it's not the #2 pick this year, since Philly gets the Lakers' pick next year. If I'm Indiana I'm not interested in doing like Boston did with Brooklyn or Denver with New York where it's 3 firsts in the future for my guy now, since the Lakers are going to rise to the upper half of the league with Magic there. So those picks aren't going to be that good 3-8 years from now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is gonna be a good offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers have enough cap space that Indiana won't need to take an expiring contract from them to make the trade work under the cap. The problem with the scenario you're envisioning is Indiana is waiting until 2019 for the first round pick if it's not the #2 pick this year, since Philly gets the Lakers' pick next year. If I'm Indiana I'm not interested in doing like Boston did with Brooklyn or Denver with New York where it's 3 firsts in the future for my guy now, since the Lakers are going to rise to the upper half of the league with Magic there. So those picks aren't going to be that good 3-8 years from now
    Sorry - I was referencing a team like SA or CLE trading for PG with regards to sending expiring back. LA can just absorb like you said, but that doesn't change what I was getting at. LA should still have to make a decent offer or IND should trade PG to another team where they get a first round pick + expiring + maybe a 2nd rounder or flier younger player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers are in a decent spot cap wise next year, but getting the bird rights are big. Unless they are going to dump Nance, Russell and/or Randle, they are at 70M as far as the cap goes after next year (options and qualifying offers). So you get PG at ~30M that puts them at 100M

With Deng/Mozgov/Clarkson/PG/Randle/Ingram/Russell/Nance/Zubac - not exactly a contender. Then they will have to go over the cap to sign Randle. Then the following year Russell. Then the following year after that Ingram.

Of course, they could move guys like Deng/Mozgov but at what price will it cost them? They could stretch them too. Point is, the best way is to get PG too

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is gonna be a good offseason.
    Hopefully for the Spurs too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers are in a decent spot cap wise next year, but getting the bird rights are big. Unless they are going to dump Nance, Russell and/or Randle, they are at 70M as far as the cap goes after next year (options and qualifying offers). So you get PG at ~30M that puts them at 100M

With Deng/Mozgov/Clarkson/PG/Randle/Ingram/Russell/Nance/Zubac - not exactly a contender. Then they will have to go over the cap to sign Randle. Then the following year Russell. Then the following year after that Ingram.

Of course, they could move guys like Deng/Mozgov but at what price will it cost them? They could stretch them too. Point is, the best way is to get PG too
    I am one of the few here that still thinks Russell is going to be a damn good player, if he could be given a less self-destructive environment. That kid has talent. I don't think at PG, but at SG/PG, with the right lineup, he can be special.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Car dealers always want to get you to buy today. That's because they know that their chances go WAY down if they let you "go home and think about it". The Lakers are *this* close to getting PG right now, and he's a bigger talent than anything they have on the team, or are likely to have soon (unless they just get lucky with a pick). They know what it means if they let him get away. They would be dumb to let that happen. I'm not so sure, though, that they aren't that dumb.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what they'd be hoping for: that George would give his blessing. It's a risk worth taking when the alternative is getting Julian Randle or some other crap that the Lakers don't want anyways. I don't think George did anything wrong. He gave the Pacers plenty of advance notice he is leaving. That's much better than stringing them along and having them make trades to try to accommodate him like OKC did for that got Durant.
    Good point. (LeBron kind of did that to the Heat his last season too but he didn't owe them anything)... PG did give signs he was leaning this way last season at the trade deadline and he already had a year plus part of the season and postseason to get cozy with a new team. Possibly a full summer to get cozy with a new team star the way Cousins and A.Davis had the same time to see if it works.

Celtics played really hardball but plenty teams were still in hopeful postseason runs. Indiana didn't want to deal him which is different... now they have less leverage a d PG is pushing, not privately telling.

Thread Information