Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Smith is breaking out the comeback as we speak. He's ready...
    Spurs should make LMA wear his number next year if they can't find a taker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes me feel old as .

At least it makes your ass old too

I'm afraid I'd break a hip if I play too much ball!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bet the dumb ass kings would give the 10th pick for this big pussy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it is. There was no reason to keep calling that play. Pop should have called the high-lows he brought Pau in to run. The offense was predictable as , and it wasn't just LMA. Pop doesn't get to throw his hands in the air while collecting several million a year. It's his job to fix this , but nope, same plays over and over again while everyone but Kawhi had bad years.
    Just stop it with "the system failed" stuff. The fact Pop & his coaching staff managed to get the Spurs 60+ wins with said roster is all I need to know about their experience and skill. The biggest mistake they made was betting the Spurs' culture and Tim's influence would help Aldridge with his work ethic and weaknesses. They took a chance & it didn't work out. Ship his sorry-ass, excuse making self out. He is a loser and always will be. NEXT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just stop it with "the system failed" stuff. The fact Pop & his coaching staff managed to get the Spurs 60+ wins with said roster is all I need to know about their experience and skill. The biggest mistake they made was betting the Spurs' culture and Tim's influence would help Aldridge with his work ethic and weaknesses. They took a chance & it didn't work out. Ship his sorry-ass, excuse making self out. He is a loser and always will be. NEXT.
    Tbfh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, the Spurs went to the WCF with the way Pop did things.

I'm not gonna fault him for not coddling LA.
    Exactly. They made miracles happen, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I don't like about this, if it's true (Smith makes up most of the time), is that other players in the league might buy into LMA's claims and be hesitant playing in San Antonio if they believe their game would be hurt playing there as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, it has nothing to do with a $20 million a year athlete coming into training camp looking like one of the guys in my 50 and over pick up game at Gold's Gym.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I don't like about this, if it's true (Smith makes up most of the time), is that other players in the league might buy into LMA's claims and be hesitant playing in San Antonio if they believe their game would be hurt playing there as well.
    There is no history to back that up. On the contrary, many players have come to SA and thrived in the system to the extent that they got significant contracts after leaving the Spurs.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It must be really hard to hit wide open jumpers. Damn the Spurs system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now it's everyone but the players that got them to the WCF. People are on crack. The system didn't do this year. It was all about Kawhi doing his thing and everyone else having random spurts of being good enough to get les. Anyone who thinks LMA broke the system or that he should fit in are off their rockers. Pop purposefully set this up and prioritized Pau over a guard, and he got a team with a soft front court and an incapable back court and couldn't consistently get good looks unless their name was Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no history to back that up. On the contrary, many players have come to SA and thrived in the system to the extent that they got significant contracts after leaving the Spurs.
    Many players who weren't considered anything special before arriving to the team. I'm talking about established star players. Then again, them if they do feel that way. This franchise shouldn't change its way of handling business by any means.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus Harden is a monster post defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should make LMA wear his number next year if they can't find a taker.
    He is gone, but in the highly unlikely event he were to return, I'd like to see him wear 0. Spurs would have to revoke Bruce's RETIRED number...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bet the dumb ass kings would give the 10th pick for this big pussy.
    Don't think so, but that would be about what I'd expect. I thought I saw a report that they were not interested.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it comes to it.. we can try to dump him to the Heat for the 14th pick. And then sign free agents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now it's everyone but the players that got them to the WCF. People are on crack. The system didn't do this year. It was all about Kawhi doing his thing and everyone else having random spurts of being good enough to get les. Anyone who thinks LMA broke the system or that he should fit in are off their rockers. Pop purposefully set this up and prioritized Pau over a guard, and he got a team with a soft front court and an incapable back court and couldn't consistently get good looks unless their name was Kawhi.

What!?!

1. They finished with the 2nd best record in the league.
    2. They made it to the WCF and were up 23 points on the eventual champions - on the road. They also had leads of 20+ points in 4 straight games versus GS this season.
    3. They started a slow, old-ass Tony Parker at PG and had a 39 year old SG as a primary contributor off the bench.
    4. They integrated 7 new players including 3 rookies on to the team (Bertans, Murray, Forbes, Gasol, Lee, Dedmon, Joel Anthony)
    5. Most importantly - did all this minus Tim Duncan

I think the coaching staff knows what they're doing. They aren't perfect but to call Aldridge's issues or his shortcomings a failure on the part of the coaching staff is ridiculous. I wanted to see a different offense that was less reliant on KL but maybe, just maybe they weren't good enough to run it. C'mon man, their starting SG can't ing dribble, yet this team made it to the WCF. In retrospect, my respect for the coaching staff grew. Pop even went so far as to be publicly critical of Aldridge. He hardly ever does that. Can you imagine the level of frustration or desperation on his part to do that? He's called out the entire team before as "soft" but he rarely is critical of individual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He showed up late to his exit meeting...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing pussy

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What!?!

2. They made it to the WCF and were up 23 points on the eventual champions - on the road. They also had leads of 20+ points in 4 straight games versus GS this season.
    3. They started a slow, old-ass Tony Parker at PG and had a 39 year old SG as a primary contributor off the bench.
    4. They integrated 7 new players including 3 rookies on to the team (Bertans, Murray, Forbes, Gasol, Lee, Dedmon, Joel Anthony)
    5. Most importantly - did all this minus Tim Duncan

I think the coaching staff knows what they're doing. They aren't perfect but to call Aldridge's issues or his shortcomings a failure on the part of the coaching staff is ridiculous. I wanted to see a different offense that was less reliant on KL but maybe, just maybe they weren't good enough to run it. C'mon man, their starting SG can't ing dribble, yet this team made it to the WCF. In retrospect, my respect for the coaching staff grew. Pop even went so far as to be publicly critical of Aldridge. He hardly ever does that. Can you imagine the level of frustration or desperation on his part to do that? He's called out the entire team before as "soft" but he rarely is critical of individual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs kept giving him to work with. Like what's he supposed to do with a post-up that starts 16 feet from the basket? Asking him to dribble against a double is just irresponsible. In Game Six against Houston, they kept giving him the ball in the right places, and he dominated.

Yes, his personality had a fair bit to do with why he was forced out to 16 feet, and he often attacked in the wrong direction, shooting a fadeway instead of making an inside move. That's on him. It's also on Pop that they didn't get that worked out. Not all post-up players are created equal, and passive LMA gave a bad name or aggressive LMA.
    The issue was that he could not get position on Green. He was getting much farther down low against Houston. LMA did/could not do his work early against GS.

How exactly is Pop supposed to scheme so that LMA can outquick and push around Green? Stop playing defense before the rebound? He did run him off weakside action into his postups btw. Green just whooped his ass on defense.

Usually if you are going to criticize someone for not doing something it helps to point out what they could have done differently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What!?!

With LMA and all the other guys people hate

With LMA and all the other guys people hate.

(I'm not going to do that to the other three.)

I think the coaching staff knows what they're doing. They aren't perfect but to call Aldridge's issues or his shortcomings a failure on the part of the coaching staff is ridiculous.
    And the players know what they're doing too. It's the staff's jobs to put players in positions to succeed. By and large they failed to maximize their talent.

maybe, just maybe they weren't good enough to run it
    Seems like an odd thing to say, given that most of the same rotation returned and the new guys had better years than the old.

I'd be willing to buy this excuse if the Spurs started off running a different offense than they finished up with. But they came out of the games, from Summer League to pre-season to regular-season to post-season doing this for two years in a row. This is what Pop wants. Sure, he wants LMA to be unconscious in iso situations like Kawhi often is, and he wanted the shooters to convert their new looks as easily as they converted their old ones. But they didn't, and Pop was like, "Maybe on the 1001st time, it's gonna work. Gotta pound that rock."

LMA could have and should have been more consistent. But he wasn't, and Pop doesn't get to keep the same plays knowing the same results and then act like there was nothing he could do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A few thoughts on this:

1. He's not totally wrong. The offense here is way different than POR. That doesn't absolve LMA of all things but it's not untrue.

2. This says a lot about LMA though and won't look good on him. Already hearing GMs question him

3. This is a decent blow to SA the free agent destination. Grab a legit FA star and it sours so quickly. Ramifications down the road?

4. Let's hope another team sees it like LMA does and is willing to trade for him on his improved defense and that his offense will come around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A few thoughts on this:

1. He's not totally wrong. The offense here is way different than POR. That doesn't absolve LMA of all things but it's not untrue.
    In what specific way?

Thread Information