Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Bell would have played at all. Perhaps they wouldn't have signed Lauvergne had they drafted him, but I doubt that. The Spurs don't need a 4th center, especially an undersized one who can't shoot.

He's a good prospect but he doesn't fit in the current Spurs and he's benefiting massively from playing in a team with amazing shooters and ball movement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not have been surprised if the team knew they wanted Brandon Paul anyway, so they should have known their guard depth was "fine". Even if Bryn hadn't had that epic summer league, there were options like Hanlan or any of the guards who showed out (Mike James?) who could have stepped in.

The lack of a fourth legit big is maddening, even if I like the smalls as individuals. That missing depth has been causing problems left and right.
    Do you count Bertans as a legit big? I count him as a backup 4 and he’s been fine in that role. It is Joff really who is not reliable. I am just confused who you refer to as 3rd or 4th bigs.

It’s a bigger problem bc as much-as you saw BP3 sucking as a backup 3, lets not forget both Kawhi and Kyle are injured. Under normal cir stances BP3 is just a garbage time, and rest games player and no one would complain about him, bc the forwards spots is well covered. However, how about Joff? How about that center spot?
    Last edited by SAGirl; 12-07-2017 at 02:43 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^What will happen to you if Gasol or LMA go down?
    Pop hasn’t even been able to rest them. I am sure Pop would have rather not even played Gasol in the OKC game bc he only played the 1st half but he had to bc he had no other bigs than Joff, then Davis and Kyle, who are really forwards.

Anyways, they do need to get something out of Joff or get a better big.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 12-07-2017 at 06:22 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    of a name

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and that is all!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at all the usual suspect apologists, out in full force.

It was obvious that Bell could step right in and do what he's doing now. He's clearly already better than Lauvergne and probably only wasn't picked because he doesn't look or act like a Spur. Even though they'd have played politics early on and defaulted to the latter because he's more experienced, it wouldn't have taken long for the former to usurp him.

Spurs lack of a credible third center options, is ridiculous and they should be looking to rectify it (should offer Forbes and Lauvergne for Nogueira or Len) because if Aldridge or Gasol goes down for an extended period, they're in trouble. Don't even want to have to give one a rest game because it means more than spot minutes for Lauvergne, who's not an NBA player. Even if he were, his paltry 6'9.5'' wingspan is insufficient to play the position.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauvergne is better than Bell. He's a highly skilled big that can stretch the floor and roll. Look at who the Warriors have playing big, McGee, Looney, Jones. That is a terrible rotation but its the Warriors so they make him look better than he really is. Even in the playoffs McGee looked like a monster. You put Joff on the Warriors and then y'all would be crying about why we didn't get him. Hoe mentality as I say. Joff has been injured the majority of his time here. I think Bell is playing more because of how bad the other options are as to how good he's been. He blows lots of assignments and isn't disciplined on d and is only a finishing big. Those types are dime a dozen especially size considered. Facts. Apologist or not.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauvergne is better than Bell.
    ...no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD21 and I actually agree on something. Mark it on the calendar, folks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is Bell better? Serious question

Edit:*in what ways is Bell better?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is Bell better? Serious question

Edit:*in what ways is Bell better?
    Better on everything related to defense, better rebounder on both ends, better finisher, more athletic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better on everything related to defense, better rebounder on both ends, better finisher, more athletic
    Sample size is too small this year but I'd like to check back on this. I watch almost every game for Warriors and Spurs.

Defense I can see cause shot blocking and steals and that's the obvious reason, but Joff is a better rebounder look it up. Joff is a better post defender and positional defender. Bell blows lots of assignments. His minutes fluctuate between him and Looney. Joff has more attempts than Bell but all Bell shoots is layups and dunks on a stacked Warriors roster so of course his finishing ability and field goal percentage is gonna be high. And athletic? OK when have we prioritized that in a big? Flashy plays like blocks and athleticism gets deified here but IQ and skills is more important. Kyle for example. Dedmon for the former.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny you speak of sample size...Joff has a ton of experience(over 200 games) already and Bell has a whole 20 games worth and here we are having this conversation. Even if one could contend they are close, Bell's upside easily gives him the edge.

Drafting Bell and not picking up Joff would have been the better option and it's not even a discussion. Bell is already looking like a solid rotation big in this league(a league that is trending towards players with his type of play/potential) and Joff is already looking like a journeyman big that filled a need at the time.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Role player is role player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Role player is role player.
    Hot damn true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny you speak of sample size...Joff has a ton of experience(over 200 games) already and Bell has a whole 20 games worth and here we are having this conversation. Even if one could contend they are close, Bell's upside easily gives him the edge.

Drafting Bell and not picking up Joff would have been the better option and it's not even a discussion. Bell is already looking like a solid rotation big in this league(a league that is trending towards players with his type of play/potential) and Joff is already looking like a journeyman big that filled a need at the time.
    I said joff was better you said no. Even if you factor in age which I didn't, it is a discussion. You are being dismissive of my case. I also didn't want to comment cause of sample size but I decided to defend him because even early impressions have been misleading. As far as upside, you may be right about joff being a journeyman but we have Nikola developing in Europe. Spurs typically play experienced bits under Pop. The Blair experiment was a massive failure. Eldon, Oberto, Nesterovic, Nazr, etc. Splitter didn't even play meaningful minutes till later. If you think he would've played here y'all are sadly mistaken. To take him on we would probably have joff anyhow and his experience would of gave him the edge.

As far as his skill set, its only valuable to the right team. GS plays him at the five which they can cause they have spacers and Draymond and Durant. That wouldn't work here cause we aren't built like that.PATFO has skilled bigs like Pau and Joff and a floor spacer like Bertans. Its clear we are prioritizing spacing and IQ.

Look at White, he's glued to the bench that wouldn't change if Bell was there. We would be one less guard and one more big but we'd still have Joff taking minutes cause Bell is an undisciplined took. Not everything that sparkles is Golden. We have pieces that fit our system and they have theirs. All their bigs have the same skill set for a reason just like ours have the same for a reason. I have plenty of points to make...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...TD21 was right, the apologists are out in force. What a typical, grey spurfan take. I can tell getting into a discourse with you will go nowhere as you are firmly in the muh culture camp. like this is the reason I don't bother posting up here much anymore.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TNT dunce of the year also looked like a decent player too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...TD21 was right, the apologists are out in force. What a typical, grey spurfan take. I can tell getting into a discourse with you will go nowhere as you are firmly in the muh culture camp. like this is the reason I don't bother posting up here much anymore.
    As the trolls tell me "SPURSTALK" I have a difference in opinion. I don't fight every fight but only ones that I feel deserve defense. Sad though that this site is a cesspool of nonsense and trolls. But I love it here so I choose to make a difference. This site is currently a forum with a bad rep. DANGEROUS lol but bolds don't give a lol. It's rotten here but I stay for the few quality takes from the respected few here. My personal favs are, Chinook, SAGirl, BrklynSpurfan, Spur10, BillMC and a few others. I don't mind standing up to popular opinion as long as there's a case.

ST complains at cancers on the Spursteam over the years and do nothing about the cancers here with their contributions. But Whateva man, see ya around, block me

Edit: By the way: what's all this apologist, muh culture crap about anyways, I don't even know what that means lol It's just deflections from the many firm point I make. I'm just gonna take that as they have no arguement lol I'm just debating here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the trolls tell me "SPURSTALK" I have a difference in opinion. I don't fight every fight but only ones that I feel deserve defense. Sad though that this site is a cesspool of nonsense and trolls. But I love it here so I choose to make a difference. This site is currently a forum with a bad rep. DANGEROUS lol but bolds don't give a lol. It's rotten here but I stay for the few quality takes from the respected few here. My personal favs are, Chinook, SAGirl, BrklynSpurfan, Spur10, BillMC and a few others. I don't mind standing up to popular opinion as long as there's a case.

ST complains at cancers on the Spursteam over the years and do nothing about the cancers here with their contributions. But Whateva man, see ya around, block me

Edit: By the way: what's all this apologist, muh culture crap about anyways, I don't even know what that means lol It's just deflections from the many firm point I make. I'm just gonna take that as they have no arguement lol I'm just debating here.
    This cat is cool. Me rikey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shoulda drafted Jordan Bell
    Got any hot stock tips? Intel? Facebook? Amazon?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What did you say? Sorry...didn't hear you. I was too busy shining the award I earned back when this place had better takes and I gave a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did you say? Sorry...didn't hear you. I was too busy shining the award I earned back when this place had better takes and I gave a .
    your making yourself look silly man.

Edit: There are way more "greys" than "bolds" now brother. Most people don't care about that and I wonder how many were here when that mattered. New times man. This forum isn't even moderated any more for the most part. Nothing cool happens here anymore. Just the occasional good takes, and good debates.
    Last edited by raybies; 12-07-2017 at 11:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s a definite difference of roster construction that makes comparing players out of context tricky. Bc Bell is no longer available it’s also pointless.

What’s probably more relevant is what the Spurs can get out of Joff. We haven’t even seen enough of him bc he got injured, but what little has been seen of him at times hasn’t been good. He’s made some passes in garbage time, but I am more interested in whether he can protect the rim and finish in the paint in a PNR. He’s not convincing on either aspect.

Was he meant to be a rotation big that disappointed and fell out of the rotation? Is he out of the rotation bc he’s gotten injured and now has a finger in a splint? Or is he out of the rotation bc Bertans is better? Can you play Bertans and him together if you need to and do well? If you can, why haven’t we seen much of this pairing? There’s a lot of questions surrounding Joff performance right now and he hasn’t been healthy to even see him much.

Which gives me me the impression Pop may try to feed him minutes to wvaluate him further.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD21 and I actually agree on something. Mark it on the calendar, folks.

Thread Information