Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing that I could just never understand is how Danny Green became so average at hitting the 3pt shot.

Here's a guy who broke the NBA Finals record, to a guy who could barely hit the broad side of the barn.

Honestly, what happened? Is shot just looks broke.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing that I could just never understand is how Danny Green became so average at hitting the 3pt shot.

Here's a guy who broke the NBA Finals record, to a guy who could barely hit the broad side of the barn.

Teams learned to forced him off his spot. He is not as good if he has to move.
    Last edited by palangi; 06-25-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too much clubbing and going on vacation

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think him not having a move for years to counter a close out is more troubling tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is truth in here. He hasn't seemed to progress his game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know right? Shot ing 38% last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's 36.2% over the past two years in the regular season and playoffs. Slightly above league average of 35.8% last year. Also, that's an eFG% of 54.3% which is well above the league average of 51.4% and would be fourth among all teams.

So while he's regressed (better last season than year before though) it's still valuable to have someone who shoots at least at league average from three and spaces the floor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's 36.2% over the past two years in the regular season and playoffs. Slightly above league average of 35.8% last year. Also, that's an eFG% of 54.3% which is well above the league average of 51.4% and would be fourth among all teams.

So while he's regressed (better last season than year before though) it's still valuable to have someone who shoots at least at league average from three and spaces the floor.

But the problem is offensively he does literally nothing else..doesn't draw fouls, create for himself or others...he's just an average catch and shoot guy..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But the problem is offensively he does literally nothing else..doesn't draw fouls, create for himself or others...he's just an average catch and shoot guy..
    Exactly he is a1 trick pony and becoming very average at that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Change of system(Spurs were bottom 5 in the league at created drive and dish 3s, they need creators more than role players nowadays) + the high variance nature of the 3-point shot(it's emphasized with Danny because he doesn't do anything but shoot 3s)

There's literally nothing that supports the idea that teams are running him off the line, all the data says otherwise, and it's asinine to think that it took NBA teams 4 years to learn that a high-profile 3-point shooter doesn't do anything else on offense
    Last edited by HarlemHeat37; 06-25-2017 at 01:33 PM.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Porker getting old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    System player, besides everybody was looking good during 2013-2014 like it happens to good teams so role players respond to the main guys groove.
    Pop asked DG to do more things than he is capable of, and here is the result.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Change of system(Spurs were bottom 5 in the league at created drive and dish 3s, they need creators more than role players nowadays) + the high variance nature of the 3-point shot(it's emphasized with Danny because he doesn't do anything but shoot 3s)

There's literally nothing that supports the idea that teams are running him off the line, all the data says otherwise, and it's asinine to think that it took NBA teams 4 years to learn that a high-profile 3-point shooter doesn't do anything else on offense
    Yeah you're right is everybody else fault on the team? Green is progressing nicely. If only there was more white Americans for you to blame it on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

First part of your statement is true but he's regressed from an elite shooter to an average shooter..Green could get away with his deficiencies when you're elite...but now that he's average he's expendable because like you said in the first statement..Spurs need versatile players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly he is a1 trick pony and becoming very average at that.
    It's like he's a white guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First part of your statement is true but he's regressed from an elite shooter to an average shooter..Green could get away with his deficiencies when you're elite...but now that he's average he's expendable because like you said in the first statement..Spurs need versatile players
    I agree, I was just pointing out why Green is struggling from 3, not whether the Spurs should keep him or not..

He's one of my favorites Spurs ever, but I've agreed since last year that he isn't a good fit with the current Spurs that barely have playmakers that can hide his deficiencies like Parker/Ginobili used to(also why you've seen guys like Porter and Crowder have breakout seasons with the emergence of Wall and Thomas, for example)..Spurs need a shot creator at the 2, a guy who can shoot and do a little bit more..

Not just that, but once Aldridge joined the team, Green no longer got consistent touches like he did in the past with the Spurs well-balanced offense..his usage rate fell off a cliff following his breakout 2015 season where he posted nearly 18% usage..
    Last edited by HarlemHeat37; 06-25-2017 at 02:44 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A certain teammate put teams on blast for leaving him open all the time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with HH. For all the talk about how valuable his ever declining defense is to the team, he literally brings nothing else.

A one trick pony. A declining defender. Offensively inept in every way. Unable to make plays or break down a defense. Bow-legged and below average athletically.

He is just not a good fit for this team anymore. Yes, he'll have a good game now and then, but so do most NBA players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is the value of spacing, teams are reluctant to leave him open. Sub Simmons into the starting line up last season and the spacing would be much different with Parker, Simmons, Leonard, LMA, Dedmon.

He doesn't do much else on offense besides being a 3pt threat and the gravity he commands.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is the value of spacing, teams are reluctant to leave him open. Sub Simmons into the starting line up last season and the spacing would be much different with Parker, Simmons, Leonard, LMA, Dedmon.

He doesn't do much else on offense besides being a 3pt threat and the gravity he commands.
    Sure. But as some have said..Spurs need more than that on offense right now..and if Danny expanded his game some instead of regressing he wouldn't be possibly moved.. I don't really want him gone but I'd understand why if the Spurs do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Green, despite my defending him I wouldn't be opposed to moving him for assets and cap space to Philly for Pasecniks, Bolden, and Lessort

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Games 6 and 7 of the NBA Finals happened, when he shot 1 for a million tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The spacing was screwed. Instead of having a no. 21 in the low post, the Spurs have a no. 12.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, I was just pointing out why Green is struggling from 3, not whether the Spurs should keep him or not..

He's one of my favorites Spurs ever, but I've agreed since last year that he isn't a good fit with the current Spurs that barely have playmakers that can hide his deficiencies like Parker/Ginobili used to(also why you've seen guys like Porter and Crowder have breakout seasons with the emergence of Wall and Thomas, for example)..Spurs need a shot creator at the 2, a guy who can shoot and do a little bit more..

Not just that, but once Aldridge joined the team, Green no longer got consistent touches like he did in the past with the Spurs well-balanced offense..his usage rate fell off a cliff following his breakout 2015 season where he posted nearly 18% usage..
    This is true, but God it's hard to get to let go of 2 way players, even if they need a system to do it.

Thread Information