Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    After losing two WC finals to Italy in '82 and Argentina '86, it was a surprise to see the team reach the final again in '90 and win it very convincingly.

Holland couldn't do the same after losing the '74 and '78 finals.

Then after losing the '02 final to Brazil in their first ever mundial match, the team went to win it all in '14 demolishing Brazil in semi-finals and taking another final from Argentina.

The only team they have no answer against is Italy, that took Germany out at home in '06 to win it all vs Zidane's France.

And it's interesting to note that Germany didn't have the world best players in all those runs where they reached finals or won it all. It was more a thing of long term planning, good coaching and heart to get the results when absolutely needed.

Brazil used to be the most consistent NT, but it's debatable, since Germany made it more often to semi-finals in less attempts.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Germany is obviously great but the luck they have had in penalty shootouts is unheard of. You can tell me penalty shootouts are not about luck and that is true to an extent, but winning I don't know how many penalty shootouts in a row is just unbelievable, no matter how good you are at it. It's probably the biggest statistical glitch of all professional sports. It's just impossible to win that many in a row in a thing that historically has proven to be 50/50.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    After losing two WC finals to Italy in '82 and Argentina '86, it was a surprise to see the team reach the final again in '90 and win it very convincingly.

Holland couldn't do the same after losing the '74 and '78 finals.

Then after losing the '02 final to Brazil in their first ever mundial match, the team went to win it all in '14 demolishing Brazil in semi-finals and taking another final from Argentina.

The only team they have no answer against is Italy, that took Germany out at home in '06 to win it all vs Zidane's France.

And it's interesting to note that Germany didn't have the world best players in all those runs where they reached finals or won it all. It was more a thing of long term planning, good coaching and heart to get the results when absolutely needed.

Brazil used to be the most consistent NT, but it's debatable, since Germany made it more often to semi-finals in less attempts.
    it's long term planning, compared to other countries we are truly commited to performance, we don't hope for the best (talent to pop up) but prepare for the worst.

Some key changes done in 2001 which led to great results 10 years later:
    1. all german teams u15-u17-u19-u21-senior play the same style of football and all academies teach it. This style maximizes our best national traits : intelligent, organized and team-players.
    2. the majority of academies are also schools. You read that right, we teach these kids mathematics, history, literature and all of that, because a smart and educated kid will lead to a smart and disciplined player. Also academies are in close contact with other industries to provide career opportunities for the many the kids who don't go pro.
    3. team above all
    4. we let coaches implement strategy, we don't panic
    5. we're not chokers

TLDR: #1 we da bess.

Germany is obviously great but the luck they have had in penalty shootouts is unheard of. You can tell me penalty shootouts are not about luck and that is true to an extent, but winning I don't know how many penalty shootouts in a row is just unbelievable, no matter how good you are at it. It's probably the biggest statistical glitch of all professional sports. It's just impossible to win that many in a row in a thing that historically has proven to be 50/50.
    Unheard of
    This niglet doesn't even know his history. At the world cup, in penaldos, Germany is 4-0 and Argentina is 4-1
    We gave you that one loss while Argentina were monkeying unprofessionally and then turned y after the loss. "The emotional pop came from the Argentina side.". Sounds like you tbh.

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Must be dat aryan blood tbh

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Luck?

They are mentally strong unlike Missi

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Unheard of
    This niglet doesn't even know his history. At the world cup, in penaldos, Germany is 4-0 and Argentina is 4-1
    We gave you that one loss while Argentina were monkeying unprofessionally and then turned y after the loss. "The emotional pop came from the Argentina side.". Sounds like you tbh.
    Yeah, unheard of. What other ing team won 4 straight penalty shootouts in a row? And I wasn't talking just about the WC, tbh.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Yeah, unheard of. What other ing team won 4 straight penalty shootouts in a row? And I wasn't talking just about the WC, tbh.
    such a big difference between 3-0 (argentina before messi) and 4-0

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    such a big difference between 3-0 (argentina before messi) and 4-0
    Well yeah, it's the difference between 100% and 75%. And you are omitting the fact that I wasn't talking just about WC's.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Both Argentina and Germany have cheated in the WC tbf

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    ^tbh

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Both Argentina and Germany have cheated in the WC tbf
    both jessi and penaldo have cheated on taxes tbh and we're still fans

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Well yeah, it's the difference between 100% and 75%. And you are omitting the fact that I wasn't talking just about WC's.
    we're 2-1 in uefa, one of which was the horror show from last year where we still won thanks to having better nerves then the italians. Being good at penaldos is not about luck, it's about keeping your cool and not missying, that's why we're so good.

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    both jessi and penaldo have cheated on taxes tbh and we're still fans
    I'm not a fan of either tbh. And I wasn't being judgemental anyway, I was just saying

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count
    This why Argentina didn't choke the WC final, Germany were always the heavy favorites. They have been a damn good team for much much longer than Argentina.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    I'm not a fan of either tbh. And I wasn't being judgemental anyway, I was just saying
    I am a fan of both and a fan of their fans They're like Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy for me
    We cheated tbh, no shame in admitting it, we also got cheated ... that's how it goes.

This why Argentina didn't choke the WC final, Germany were always the heavy favorites. They have been a damn good team for much much longer than Argentina.
    When a team with the best defense, stacked talent and the would-be-GOAT loses a practically scoreless final it's called a choke tbh. We were never heavy favorites son, stop spinning it. Messi didn't pressure us, he had no GOAT moments, argentina depended on him and we made the best of it and got a ring.

My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count
    I am a fan of both and a fan of their fans They're like Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy for me
    We cheated tbh, no shame in admitting it, we also got cheated ... that's how it goes.

When a team with the best defense, stacked talent and the would-be-GOAT loses a practically scoreless final it's called a choke tbh. We were never heavy favorites son, stop spinning it. Messi didn't pressure us, he had no GOAT moments, argentina depended on him and we made the best of it and got a ring.
    Not true, Argentina had great defense, but they were scraping by throughout the tournament winning matches by one goal margins or a penalty shoot out. At no point in the WC could you say Argentina looked dominant. Germany on the other hand had far better depth, much better chemistry since half the team played for either Bayern or Dortmund (similar to the chemistry advantage Spain had during it's elite run). Germany had a much better goal differential heading into the SF, no way Argentina beats that Brazil team 7-1 (and I'm not even including that result in goal differential). Argentina had a great defense, and a mangled midfield and attack. It's much easier to zero in on Messi when you aren't worried about Huguain bottling it or Aguero being MIA and Di Maria giving the ball away more than any player in WC history (also had a record 51 give aways in a single match too). Having said that, he was still needed for the team and couldn't play in the final which was huge.

There was never any doubt Germany was the better team heading into that match, had better momentum, and while Argentina had the best player, Germany easily had the best team. They were a well oiled machine. Absolutely no shame for Argentina losing that match. The Chile losses in the finals were probably more frustrating since Argentina choked those, tbh. No shame in losing to the best Germany team we've had in a while, and the most consistent international team of the past 10 years in terms of going deep along with Spain.

Here were the betting odds heading into the final: http://soccer.oddsshark.com/world-cu...13-2014-676984

Everyone had Germany winning, and in the first 90 minutes as well. Googled some other articles about predictions at the time and at last 80% had Germany winning.

My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count
    Why don't you like Ronaldo?

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    Why don't you like Ronaldo?
    Nothing against him, I'm just not really a fan or anything.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count

"For the first time in the 2014 World Cup, Argentina is not favored to win their match. Bovada.lv has listed the betting odds of Germany winning the final in regulation time at +120. They have significantly better odds than Argentina, who comes in at +240."

http://www.ibtimes.com/germany-argen...t-game-1624820

This ing guy and his ing lies (or ignorant opinions, one or the other).

You got facts thrown at your face. This isn't debatable, this isn't a "your word against mine" type of thing. This is a pretty clear cut "who was the favourite coming into the final?" question, and the reality shows that Germany was by a considerable margin, so shut the up and accept reality. Anything else you have to say on this matter will be just your typical re ed nonesense. Have a good day and yourself.

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Nothing against him, I'm just not really a fan or anything.
    I used to be a fan

But now I'm an air conditioner.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    "For the first time in the 2014 World Cup, Argentina is not favored to win their match. Bovada.lv has listed the betting odds of Germany winning the final in regulation time at +120. They have significantly better odds than Argentina, who comes in at +240."

http://www.ibtimes.com/germany-argen...t-game-1624820

This ing guy and his ing lies (or ignorant opinions, one or the other).

You got facts thrown at your face. This isn't debatable, this isn't a "your word against mine" type of thing. This is a pretty clear cut "who was the favourite coming into the final?" question, and the reality shows that Germany was by a considerable margin, so shut the up and accept reality. Anything else you have to say on this matter will be just your typical re ed nonesense. Have a good day and yourself.
    why don't you put the odds before the tournament ?, brasil were 10/3, argentina 5/1 and germany 6/1. Of course after a tournament where misty showed nothing in knockout round the odds were in Germany's favor you gy twink fan. Having the top defense, a stacked roster and misty is not enough to win a world cup If we had that we'd b2b2b.

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    ^ damn

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    why don't you put the odds before the tournament ?, brasil were 10/3, argentina 5/1 and germany 6/1. Of course after a tournament where misty showed nothing in knockout round the odds were in Germany's favor you gy twink fan. Having the top defense, a stacked roster and misty is not enough to win a world cup If we had that we'd b2b2b.
    Because the final isn't played before the tournament you ing short minded dumbass.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Because the final isn't played before the tournament you ing short minded dumbass.
    you're telling me that twink misty chocked from better odds to lower odds during the tournament. Damn, even twink fans seeing the light

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    you're telling me that twink misty chocked from better odds to lower odds during the tournament. Damn, even twink fans seeing the light
    Everybody that knew knew that Germany was the number one favourite coming into 2014, tbh. I predicted them to win right here on ST, tbh.

Thread Information