Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's not his talent that's concerning, its the achilles. all these videos of his highlights and how he's going to be a fit are irrelevant if his athleticism has been sapped
    His game is not based on athleticism . He is a skilled low post and mid range player. He shot pretty good from 3 last year on a horrible team. He rebounds with his awareness and great length/size. Last year he was barely hoping for his dunks. He might be have more lift this year with the renewed motivation and rebuild of his lower body. Either way, he doesn't need a 30' vertical with his size, to be good. He also has a shot he can make over just about anyone.

Not really a lot of risk with such a cheap contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup thought the same. If we were under the cap we would have signed him with cap space. So if he already signed it's the MLE from being over the cap. So we bringing the crew back. Most likely losing Dedmon maybe Lee. Hanga and Milutinov may be in.

But yeah it's resigning guys. It might be awhile cause of Simmons. He's really holding out. It seems he's like option C or D for teams with cap like New York and Brooklyn and they both just signed players to offer sheets so it may be another couple days at least before we get more clarity.
    That makes the most sense. I don't see Hanga coming over now if Manu and Simmons are back, though that is probably a coin flip for each. I would hope that Milutinov comes over, he won't play much but it's better to get him on his rookie scale deal (Having three players on rookie scale is a plus) now and give him a year to continue developing and learning the spurs system.

I could see Lee resigning but he would probably be the third big on a team that appears likely to play small with Gay, Anderson, and Bertans playing at the four.

He played well enough to deserve a rotation spot on a team but I am not sure he would be one this season for us.

Nate Duncan has mentioned that the market has seems to have dried up for bigs, Dedmon might be willing to return on a one year deal but he might have the same issue. So long, as he doesn't go to GSW, I am alright with him leaving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully his 3ball is sharpened. With an obvious loss of athleticism after the injury, he'll need to adjust his game accordingly.

I really am loving this signing more and more each day, especially at the price tag.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I call fake news. Pop seems to be averse to playing small ball so I wouldn't say never but Kawhi is already asked to do too much, he might have to start manning a concession stand during half time too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I call fake news. Pop seems to be averse to playing small ball so I wouldn't say never but Kawhi is already asked to do too much, he might have to start manning a concession stand during half time too.
    I sort of agree, but the way we saw his passing evolve this year opens up the possibility.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what this means. I hope it doesn't mean bringing up the ball!

If it means that he gets the ball first once it reaches half court, then not a problem!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's not his talent that's concerning, its the achilles. all these videos of his highlights and how he's going to be a fit are irrelevant if his athleticism has been sapped
    I agree that it all hinges on his recovery of whether or not this signing was a good or bad. We won't know how effective of a player he can be coming off the achilles injury until the first week of the regular season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grades: Spurs Take Smart Shot On Rehabbing Rudy Gay

Rudy Gay’s 12th NBA season just might produce his first trip to the second round of the playoffs.

The Spurs signed Gay, 30, to a two-year contract worth a reported $17.2 million on Thursday. The agreement, which required San Antonio’s mid-level exception, includes a player option for the 2018-19 season. Of note, Gay, who suffered a season-ending Achilles tear on Jan. 18, turned down a $14 million option to remain with the Kings after spending three-plus seasons in Sacramento.

At first blush, this deal makes for an odd couple arrangement between an organization known for its consistent winning and a player known for the opposite. Gay (18.7 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 2.8 APG) hasn’t advanced to the postseason since 2012, and his departures from Memphis and Toronto coincided with upticks in play from his former teams. An athletic wing with a smooth stroke and two FIBA gold medals to his name, Gay has long battled a reputation for empty stats and middling advanced numbers. In Sacramento, though, the Kings played better with him on the court in each of the last three seasons and he led the team with a +1.7 net rating last year.

San Antonio is uniquely positioned to take a chance on Gay and it’s really not all that chancy given the short-term nature of this deal. First, the Spurs are masters of minutes management and regular-season success so they can afford to bring back Gay on his own schedule and carefully limit his playing time once he returns. Second, they have a clear need for athleticism and length on the wing, as evidenced by their struggles against Golden State following All-Star Kawhi Leonard’s ankle injury in Game 1 of the West finals. Third, they’re masters at turning aging cast-offs and forgotten talents into functional rotation pieces. Look no further than Pau Gasol and David Lee, among countless others.

Finally, the Spurs seem to have settled into viewing 2017-18 as a transition year after missing out on Chris Paul and other high-profile potential difference-makers via trade or free-agent signing. San Antonio is set to enjoy significant flexibility next summer when LaMarcus Aldridge can opt out of his contract and Tony Parker’s current deal ends. Right now, Gay’s player option looks mostly like protection against a re-injury and his ability to rehab his market value and re-enter the market next summer keeps San Antonio in position to make a major strike if a big fish becomes available.

Gay will likely be remembered when he retires as a talented scorer who was miscast as a lead option and who frustrated observers by never reaching his star potential. If there’s one thing Gregg Popovich and company succeed at, though, it’s casting their pieces properly. For that reason, Gay’s arrival in San Antonio—and the narrower role he steps into—should be met with measured optimism and patience. He almost certainly won’t be the key to taking down the Warriors, but there weren’t too many better ways for the Spurs to spend their mid-level while keeping their big-picture vision locked on next summer. If Gay is going to be stuck leaving money on the table, San Antonio is the place to do it.

Grade: B

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/07/07/rudy-gay-spurs-contract-free-agency-kawhi-leonard-trade-rumors-grades

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In response to writeup...
    1. Advanced stats dont mean anything, especially the net.
    2. Nothing was learned against gsw. Spurs played without their 2 best players. Length and athleticism didnt matter when spurs were reaming golden state 4v5 with kl not 100%

The only logical point made was the managing minutes and allowing him to come back on a slow schedule without needing him to score 20 ppg to win.

Low risk high reward why isnt it an A? No other player spurs could have signed without some crazy overhaul.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't wait to see what Gay can bring to the Spurs. I just want the offseason over already. This is so long of a wait for NBA basketball.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In response to writeup...
    1. Advanced stats dont mean anything, especially the net.
    2. Nothing was learned against gsw. Spurs played without their 2 best players. Length and athleticism didnt matter when spurs were reaming golden state 4v5 with kl not 100%

The only logical point made was the managing minutes and allowing him to come back on a slow schedule without needing him to score 20 ppg to win.

Low risk high reward why isnt it an A? No other player spurs could have signed without some crazy overhaul.
    No way does it deserve an A, even a B is a little high. Spurs struck out badly this offseason and weren't expecting that all. I'd give them a C and pray they aren't a free destination cancer for star players.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way does it deserve an A, even a B is a little high. Spurs struck out badly this offseason and weren't expecting that all. I'd give them a C and pray they aren't a free destination cancer for star players.
    Lol how did they strike out? They kept a team that was easily the second best in the league. No one jumped them, they didnt get suckered into financial jail, and they improved their bench. There was no realistic way to stay top tier and get some bum ass pg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol how did they strike out? They kept a team that was easily the second best in the league. No one jumped them, they didnt get suckered into financial jail, and they improved their bench. There was no realistic way to stay top tier and get some bum ass pg.
    People just want big splashes to happen and think if they don't, it's a losing off season and PATFO don't care.

I'm interested to see if there's a 2013 off season thread to see how many people were furious they didn't make adjustments and came back with the same squad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi already looking dejected af
    This is how a superstar looks when the FAs his team signed in las two seasons were a 36 years old Paul Gasol, 40 years old Manu in 2016 and 30 years old coming off ruptured Achilles injury Rudy Gay...

Among the rookies/sop res only Murray and Davis will see minutes but if Mills starts games instead of Murray, Kawhi will be the younger guy in the SL by a large margin again.

I wonder where are the players in the same timeline on Kawhi's who will play with him in his prime years?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Rudy Gay, but this is a sad and sorry off-season so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Rudy Gay, but this is a sad and sorry off-season so far.
    I tend to agree, but also: what better could have been done? CP3 wanted to play for the Rockets. Indiana wasn't going to trade PG to San Antonio. The only big name that seems like he could have been had was Jimmy Butler, but Minnesota's package was better. The Spurs don't have many assets. Also, people thinking Parker would be traded are re ed.

What sucks is that LMA is a pussy and he can't get over himself. But it's far better to keep him than dump him for ty assets or even use assets to dump him.

The best course may be this one, keep your powder dry. Don't fish, but cut bait. The Warriors rule due to dip Durant, so just push things out a year when you're in the catbird's seat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^That, and if they are going to make a move, an in-season trade will net greater value for their assets.

If a team's either making a push or tanking, those expiring or short-term contracts will look more attractive.

If nothing happens, then they've got the cap space to give it another go next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pretty much spurs A++ and everyone from D- to lower if you ask me... Paying absurd amount of money for lateral moves is just laughable..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF are we celebrating? Giving $17 million to a guy who wasn't all that good before his career was over?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tend to agree, but also: what better could have been done? CP3 wanted to play for the Rockets. Indiana wasn't going to trade PG to San Antonio. The only big name that seems like he could have been had was Jimmy Butler, but Minnesota's package was better. The Spurs don't have many assets. Also, people thinking Parker would be traded are re ed.

What sucks is that LMA is a pussy and he can't get over himself. But it's far better to keep him than dump him for ty assets or even use assets to dump him.

The best course may be this one, keep your powder dry. Don't fish, but cut bait. The Warriors rule due to dip Durant, so just push things out a year when you're in the catbird's seat.
    I wasn't necessarily bagging them for the whole off-season. I have a massive problem with the Mills contract being offered at the start of free agency, but apart from that, I have no problem with them bringing back the same team. After CP3 going to Houston and not being able to trade for Paul George, I'm OK with not giving out stupid contracts and holding that money for another try next off-season. There was not much else that could be done. I don't want to overpay for mediocre players. I'm also not sure about the Spurs' draft pick/s. I think they could have done better there.

I also want Aldridge back, but I just hope he's not going to be a wit about it and for him to actually come back and as hard as he can.
    Last edited by Ice009; 07-09-2017 at 09:24 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gay and parker will kick ass
    and mop the floor with gs ass

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    gay and parker will kick ass
    and mop the floor with gs ass
    They sure will and do you know why? Because they said so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information