Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leave it to mid to call the generation with tbe three best players eve as weak

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leave it to mid to call the generation with tbe three best players eve as weak
    Have a counter argument?

Top 5 players in the world (Fed, Nadal, Joke, Murray, Warwinka) are all over 30.

Tell me the last time that's happened in tennis? Or even another sport. The fact a younger generation talent in their early 20's can't rise up against the "Big 5" tells me the talent pool is weak.

A tennis nerd explains:

This. At the rate at which compe ion is (not) coming in at the lower levels (as the best European athletes go into soccer, America just stops producing good players due to lack of interest in tennis and losing athletes to more lucrative sports, and people in general opting out of sending their children to draconian tennis training schools from social pressure); we are guaranteed to see a very high performing group of people who should be getting their asses handed to them by dint of their age keep being able to persist against a wretchedly unskilled lower generation.

In a healthy era, the slam count of the big four would be HALVED, easily, and we would see Federer with 9 or 10 slams, Nadal with 7 or 8, Djoker with 5 or 6, Murray with MAYBE one. It is unlikely that any would have a career slam. They're all very good players, but the numbers they are putting up reeks of a bad younger generation and it's being proven that this is the case as time goes on; and NOT that we are just lucky enough to see a bunch of all-time greats at the same time.
    We haven't seen over 30 dominance from a a group of players like this (we even see it on the women's side) in ANY other sport. You might have one old guard player still holding on (i.e. Lebron), but it's rare for that many. To relate it to basketball, where is the Curry, Westbrook, Durant, Leonard to Lebron?

No young players worth a on the ATP. I can buy Federer "being that good," but not 4 other over-30 players at the same time.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 07-18-2017 at 05:18 AM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or its like playing pacman at an arcade
    Speaking of... saw this the other day. Crazy .

#SaveChumpDumper

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Have a counter argument?

Top 5 players in the world (Fed, Nadal, Joke, Murray, Warwinka) are all over 30.

Tell me the last time that's happened in tennis? Or even another sport. The fact a younger generation talent in their early 20's can't rise up against the "Big 5" tells me the talent pool is weak.

A tennis nerd explains:

We haven't seen over 30 dominance from a a group of players like this (we even see it on the women's side) in ANY other sport. You might have one old guard player still holding on (i.e. Lebron), but it's rare for that many. To relate it to basketball, where is the Curry, Westbrook, Durant, Leonard to Lebron?

No young players worth a on the ATP. I can buy Federer "being that good," but not 4 other over-30 players at the same time.
    huge advancements in nutrition, recuperation, interval training, gear quality and low danger specialized steroids in the past 20 years alone. Absolutely top athletes live optimized lifestyles. Flawless fundamentals and ubiquitous access to them from childhood absolutely maximize skill. These are valid in ALL sports (football, basketball, tennis, etc). Also the exponentially increased public exposure of the sport makes it hard for unexperienced players both on and off the court.

son besides low quality high volume trolling do you have anything else going for you ? business? women? outside activities? great health? serious question tbh, you seem pretty desperate tbh.
    Last edited by dfens; 07-18-2017 at 06:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    son besides low quality high volume trolling do you have anything else going for you ? job? women? outside activies? good health? serious question tbh, you need to go outside more, life is short tbh
    Yes.

Hope that answered your question

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    son besides low quality high volume trolling do you have anything else going for you ? business? women? outside activities? great health? serious question tbh, you seem pretty desperate tbh.
    Son he's not trolling tbh, believe it or not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy calls Wilander a "flash in the pan" guy when he is a former number one guy and a three times GS champion but then talks up one hit wonders like Rod and Ivanisevic. Weren't you supposed to be old? You should be backing Wilander up, tbh.
    I probably mixed him up with another guy. There's this guy who was number one for like a few weeks in the late 80s. Besides, wilander was in the 80s Sampras in the 90s and federer in the 00s and 10s. Wilander really wasn't Sampras' direct compe ion

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I probably mixed him up with another guy. There's this guy who was number one for like a few weeks in the late 80s. Besides, wilander was in the 80s Sampras in the 90s and federer in the 00s and 10s. Wilander really wasn't Sampras' direct compe ion
    Becker or Edberg?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    huge advancements in nutrition, recuperation, interval training, gear quality and low danger specialized steroids in the past 20 years alone. Absolutely top athletes live optimized lifestyles. Flawless fundamentals and ubiquitous access to them from childhood absolutely maximize skill. These are valid in ALL sports (football, basketball, tennis, etc). Also the exponentially increased public exposure of the sport makes it hard for unexperienced players both on and off the court.

I didn't see your crappy edit.

Your logic fails. If the older players are benefiting that much from sports science advancements (which they are, no argument there), then the younger players will benefit equally and, unlike the older players, will have the massive benefit of prime athleticism and coordination over the older players. So what's happening? It's strange that 5 players in the same age group are the dominant players with no under-30 player even close to them, much less any late-teens/early-20's prodigies. My guess is smaller talent pool/worse coaching.

Additionally, why haven't those sports science advancements produced the same success in other sports for older players? Basketball? All the best players in the world aside from Lebron are under-30. Baseball? All the best position players in the world are under-30. Hockey? Ditto. Real football? The QB does remain an old man position, but the majority of the top position players otherwise are under-30. Soccer? I have no clue. That sport is stuck in stone age regarding metrics, so it's more difficult to quantify player value.

I get it, though, you foreigners want to talk up this generation because it's the first men's singles tennis generation not to feature a great American player. I'm all for Fed as the greatest, but Nadal and Joker are not better than Sampras.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indeed. You guys troll me with your re ed opinions that I have to debunk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becker or Edberg?
    No, loved those guys though they were only numero uno for a while. Becker really brought in that power serve aspect to the game. Edberg was the king of volleys (next to McEnroe)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I actually sport hate Nadal because I'm a Fed fan. I was also a huge Sampras fan and an Agassi hater but I don't let personal bias get in the way of irrefutable facts, tbh.
    Really isn't irrefutable. More les doesn't mean greater. Compe ion era and impact on the game factors in as well.

Btw, I heard Sampras speak Spanish. He just shot up your goat list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really isn't irrefutable. More les doesn't mean greater. Compe ion era and impact on the game factors in as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Also, Wimbledon>all. It's basically the defacto tennis "world championship." Modern generation fanboys will hem and haw and probably say something about Americans, but that's the way it's always been in tennis.

There’s one last element to throw into the mix: the players’ preferences. Though both the WTA and the ATP (the men’s tennis en y) did not have player surveys at hand, there was a survey done back in the late 1990s by the French magazine, Tennis. That survey asked 108 top players to rank the four Slams in order of prestige. The ranking went as follows:

1. Wimbledon
    2. French Open
    3. U.S. Open
    4. Australian Open
    Considering that, who really gives a about the French? It's basically like winning the Conference le in basketball then

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    if it's for real, which tbh I just can't believe, he's the type to make america great again tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Argies are naturally racist, Tbh. They'll side with the Spaniard if their country doesn't produce a good player for a sport.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Argies are naturally racist, Tbh. They'll side with the Spaniard if their country doesn't produce a good player for a sport.
    Not a coincidence they were so fond of the Nazis tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also playing on clay is annoying as . It ruins ur shoes, socks, shorts and even the strings get clay all over them. Never played on grass though. I want to but I don't even know if there's any grass courts near me.
    Truth. Dust kicks up too if they don't water it down early in the morning.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Not a coincidence they were so fond of the Nazis tbh
    Yup, they thought Hitler would have put them on the Aryan race list. They'd probably get gassed all the same, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So I give you an honest, reasonable response to the matter and you insist with your wrong assumption about my personal interests? Ok

Nadal having more majors than Sampras is irrefutable, an era being weaker than the other isn't. It's pretty simple actually. To me it seems like you are the one letting personal bias get in the way of reality, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I'm racist why would I side wih the brown dirty Spaniard instead of the white American?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If I'm racist why would I side wih the brown dirty Spaniard instead of the white American?
    The Spaniard is closer to your people, you probably hold a grudge on non-hispanic whites for Falkland and defeating Germany.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I give you an honest, reasonable response to the matter and you insist with your wrong assumption about my personal interests? Ok

Nadal having more majors than Sampras is irrefutable, an era being weaker than the other isn't. It's pretty simple actually. To me it seems like you are the one letting personal bias get in the way of reality, tbh.
    So russell is the goat in basketball?

Thread Information