Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In soccer, smart positioning and timely runs to get in positions to score is a very important ability that not everybody possess.
    But you still need midfielders and other players to deliver accurate crosses, through passes and the like to give the striker making that timely run a good shot on goal. Currently, it seems soccer underrates the midfielders and defensemen. All the focus/hype is on the goal scorers. Unless soccer is a striker centric sport above all else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But you still need midfielders and other players to deliver accurate crosses, through passes and the like to give the striker making that timely run a good shot on goal. Currently, it seems soccer underrates the midfielders and defensemen. All the focus/hype is on the goal scorers. Unless soccer is a striker centric sport above all else.
    Just watch the damn games, tbh. If you didn't see this Portugal-Spain game, try to catch it on replay and tell me if Sidenaldo isn't among the best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just watch the damn games, tbh. If you didn't see this Portugal-Spain game, try to catch it on replay and tell me if Sidenaldo isn't among the best.
    You know I don't watch this sport much. Looking at the highlights now. His goals were: A fuckin' penalty (of course. Isn't he called Penaldo as well?), a weak shot flubbed by the goalie (and he did nothing to create the play, really. The long pass and first touch of the player who flipped the ball to him are what generated the play). 3rd goal. Free kick. Lol.

But you're still not answering the question. How are other players "valued" relative to strikers? That's the crux of my point here. Soccer seems to only value goals and maybe assists in determining player value. I'd be willing to bet that if soccer had a comprehensive advanced stats methodology, we'd see midfielders and defenders have more game impact than the players perceived as the best (i.e. Ronaldo). Or you tell me. Is striker simply the most important position?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you weren't a casual tennis fan, you would know that many players go long periods of time without coaches, and many times those moments equal the best of their careers. Like I said, Federer most dominant version came when he didn't have a coach and he did warm ups with his wife.
    Sure. After theyíve been shown the way. You think anyone can just afford those to unlock their potential? Why would lesser players who canít afford to pay hundred of thousands of dollars to have some guy keep them company?

Bolt, Phelps, Serena Williams, Federer, Messi, Lebron. It's not uncommon to have GOATS in current sports. Humans are constantly evolving, it's just natural law.
    Itís uncommon to have the top 2 and another 2 top tens though.

Thread Information