Guga is the GOAT tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Without dropping a set.. alpha

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many people have straight-setted Wimbledon?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    How many people have straight-setted Wimbledon?
    Last time it happened was like 40 years ago or something like that, but I don't remember who.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a tennis guy but what about Ashe,Sampras, and Nadal in reference to the GOAT? First 3 names that popped up in my mind along with Agassi tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federer is better.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a tennis guy but what about Ashe,Sampras, and Nadal in reference to the GOAT? First 3 names that popped up in my mind along with Agassi tbh
    Agassi, Ashe, and Nadal have no real claim to being GOAT. Sampras does, but IMO Federrer is still better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's pretty much federer, then Sampras then everybody else. Those guys were dominant even with great compe ion (Nadal, Agassi, Rod , djokovic, Ivanesevic). I feel bad for a nadal, he would have been one of the greats if it wasn't for federer. Then you have guys like bjorg, McEnroe, Connors, Lendl. I love Edbergs game but he wasn't anywhere close to Even top 10 conversation.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nadal is basically the greatest clay surface player of all time. He is 79-2 / 10 grand slam les at French Open. Otherwise, he has two Wimbledon les, two US Open les, and one Australian Open le for a total of two grand slams on grass and three on hard court to go with the ten on clay (which is 25 percent of the surfaces for grand slams). Though, he won gold at the 08 Olympics and 16 Olympics to still put himself into the GOAT convo. And the fact that he's four years younger than Federer and only down in grand slam les 15-19 puts him within reach of catching him.

Nadal has a 23-14 head to head advantage on Federer. And some years back, maybe circa 2014 when Nadal had won all four matches against Federer in 2013 and beat him at the 14 Aussie Opean Final, and he was the hottest thing going in tennis, he was talking some serious trash in the media and basically calling Federer inferior and washed up; and he was making fun of the fact that Federer had no chance against him on clay and that that put him in the hole along with getting older (It may have happened before this, just my best guess from what I can remember now). I think that was a mistake because it seemed to light a fire under Federer, who had been on pace to be undisputed GOAT before Nadal started rocking the boat. Federer has been the better player in recent years despite not being in his prime while Nadal is still in his prime (years-of-age-wise). Federer has won the last five head to head, including a 2017 Aussie Open Final win to avenge his 2014 Aussie Final loss to Nadal. That was a two grand slam swing that could prove very huge in determining their legacies.

Anybody playing down Nadal relative to Federer should not do so. In 2005-10, these two finished in the top two of the ATP rankings each year, the only time that's ever occurred in six straight years. Head to head, Federer has a winning record on hard courts (10–9) and grass (2–1) and Nadal leads on clay (13–2); so, it made sense that Federer didn't come back from injury to early for a low-percent chance against Nadal at the French Open. But Federer showed that when he is rested, he is the most dominant on grass, sweeping all the sets at Wimbledon.

Interestingly, Federer v Nadal was the final for all 06-08 French Open and Wimbledon finals, with Nadal naturally winning all three French Opens and the 08 Wimbledon Final for four of the six. So, a young and upcoming Nadal felt like he had Federer's number when he was getting brash about it all. After all, when he was 17 in his first match in 04 against the then number-one-ranked Federer he won in straight sets.

I wish I remembered the year and had the ESPN article in which I read that Nadal wast talking all the so that I could put it all in a more precise context; besides that, it was a fun read. It was like Connor McGregor level talking, honestly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nadal is basically the greatest clay surface player of all time. He is 79-2 / 10 grand slam les at French Open. Otherwise, he has two Wimbledon les, two US Open les, and one Australian Open le for a total of two grand slams on grass and three on hard court to go with the ten on clay (which is 25 percent of the surfaces for grand slams). Though, he won gold at the 08 Olympics and 16 Olympics to still put himself into the GOAT convo. And the fact that he's four years younger than Federer and only down in grand slam les 15-19 puts him within reach of catching him.

Nadal has a 23-14 head to head advantage on Federer. And some years back, maybe circa 2014 when Nadal had won all four matches against Federer in 2013 and beat him at the 14 Aussie Opean Final, and he was the hottest thing going in tennis, he was talking some serious trash in the media and basically calling Federer inferior and washed up; and he was making fun of the fact that Federer had no chance against him on clay and that that put him in the hole along with getting older. I think that was a mistake because it seemed to light a fire under Federer, who had been on pace to be undisputed GOAT before Nadal started rocking the boat. Federer has been the better player in recent years despite not being in his prime while Nadal is still in his prime (years-of-age-wise). Federer has won the last five head to head, including a 2017 Aussie Open Final win to avenge his 2014 Aussie Final loss to Nadal. That was a two grand slam swing that could prove very huge in determining their legacies.

Anybody playing down Nadal relative to Federer should not do so. In 2005-10, these two finished in the top two of the ATP rankings each year, the only time that's ever occurred in six straight years. Head to head, Federer has a winning record on hard courts (10–9) and grass (2–1) and Nadal leads on clay (13–2); so, it made sense that Federer didn't come back from injury to early for a low-percent chance against Nadal at the French Open. But Federer showed that when he is rested, he is the most dominant on grass, sweeping all the sets at Wimbledon.

Interestingly, Federer v Nadal was the final for all 06-08 French Open and Wimbledon finals, with Nadal naturally winning all three French Opens and the 08 Wimbledon Final for four of the six. So, a young and upcoming Nadal felt like he had Federer's number when he was getting brash about it all. After all, when he was 17 in his first match in 04 against the then number-one-ranked Federer he won in straight sets.

I wish I remembered the year and had the ESPN article in which I read that Nadal wast talking all the so that I could put it all in a more precise context; besides that, it was a fun read. It was like Connor McGregor level talking, honestly. Federer cannot possibly respect Nadal after that. Federer seems pissed; he's beat Nadal the last five times they played after previously getting his ass handed to him.
    Basically it's still an open book on who the GOAT is considering they are both still playing. The trash talk ONLY works if you can back it up like Ali did imo. Personally, I like to tune in when Wimbledon and the Olympics come around. Tennis is perfectly watchable as long as you understand the rules, which I was ignorant of for a long time.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically it's still an open book on who the GOAT is considering they are both still playing. The trash talk ONLY works if you can back it up like Ali did imo. Personally, I like to tune in when Wimbledon and the Olympics come around. Tennis is perfectly watchable as long as you understand the rules, which I was ignorant of for a long time.
    Well, Nadal had been dominating head to head and was entering his prime while Federer was leaving his in addition to be number one ranked while Federer was sliding, so I can see how Nadal was emboldened. It was sort of matter of fact talking with a tint of utter arrogance. I don't think even most Federer fans expected this turn of events.

What I find to be interesting is how long can Nadal keep dominating on clay? It's all about the sliding, which comes down to really strong joints. And he's starting to get up there. He's no longer a twenty something. And while Federer is older, he's still in such peak condition and just frankly hits shots consistently that other players don't hit. About seven or eight times a match, I'd see him hit angled shots out of reach of the opponent and perfectly placed after he had otherwise had no inherent positional advantage. When a tennis player is placing his shots with that level of surgical precision, he is almost unbeatable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sampras

What a scrub

No Tennis player has as good of a resume as Federer and its not close. Sampras is an american that was celebrated but even Djokovic only needs a few more grand slam to surpas sampras resume.

Its

Fed

Nadal

Bunch of irrelvant players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who puts Sampras over the 15 time Grand slam winner should shoot themselves in the head.

Did I read Agasi? Wow Americans are truly stupid.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, nobody really looking at it think Agassi is GOAT. But "the greatest returner" in the history of tennis deserves mention. He had the talent. He just got caught up in his Image Is Everything lifestyle and didn't take the tennis all that serious til he had frittered away much of his twenties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nadal has a 23-14 head to head advantage on Federer. And some years back, maybe circa 2014 when Nadal had won all four matches against Federer in 2013 and beat him at the 14 Aussie Opean Final, and he was the hottest thing going in tennis, he was talking some serious trash in the media and basically calling Federer inferior and washed up; and he was making fun of the fact that Federer had no chance against him on clay and that that put him in the hole along with getting older (It may have happened before this, just my best guess from what I can remember now). I think that was a mistake because it seemed to light a fire under Federer, who had been on pace to be undisputed GOAT before Nadal started rocking the boat. Federer has been the better player in recent years despite not being in his prime while Nadal is still in his prime (years-of-age-wise). Federer has won the last five head to head, including a 2017 Aussie Open Final win to avenge his 2014 Aussie Final loss to Nadal. That was a two grand slam swing that could prove very huge in determining their legacies.

I wish I remembered the year and had the ESPN article in which I read that Nadal wast talking all the so that I could put it all in a more precise context; besides that, it was a fun read. It was like Connor McGregor level talking, honestly.
    Good points. Whenever the #2 guy owns the head to head matchup with the #1, you have a fascinating matchup.

Federer making a comeback and winning 2 les at age 35 is pretty remarkable and helps his legacy even more. But the Nadal rivalry should always be an *.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points. Whenever the #2 guy owns the head to head matchup with the #1, you have a fascinating matchup.

Federer making a comeback and winning 2 les at age 35 is pretty remarkable and helps his legacy even more. But the Nadal rivalry should always be an *.
    What's the asterisk for?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's pretty much federer, then Sampras then everybody else. Those guys were dominant even with great compe ion (Nadal, Agassi, Rod , djokovic, Ivanesevic). I feel bad for a nadal, he would have been one of the greats if it wasn't for federer. Then you have guys like bjorg, McEnroe, Connors, Lendl. I love Edbergs game but he wasn't anywhere close to Even top 10 conversation.
    Why would you name Rod and Ivanisevic among the "great compe ion" folks before other guys like Murray, Courier, Hewitt, Kafelnikov, Becker, Wilander and many others?

Also, the two best player of all time are clearly Federer and then Nadal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nadal dominance against Fed is nobody's fault except Fed's. His refusal to be aggressive with his BH has cost him a couple slams(no, I'm not talking about FO). I would literally be on the verge punching my TV every time I would see Fed settle for a safe rally extending BH vs Rafa/Djoker when he would have them scrambling. It was beyond infuriating. I honestly believe that it was the Stanimal's rise that urged Fed to be, finally, more aggressive with it and it has paid dividends. Great to see the old champ winning again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agassi Sampras

yeah its federer and it's not even close tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agassi Sampras

yeah its federer and it's not even close tbh
    Americans basically

Nadal is clearly the second best too.

Djok is pretty close to becoming third best too.

Its the best generation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would you name Rod and Ivanisevic among the "great compe ion" folks before other guys like Murray, Courier, Hewitt, Kafelnikov, Becker, Wilander and many others?

Also, the two best player of all time are clearly Federer and then Nadal.
    Because Becker willander played in a different era.

Nadal is good but he is so dominant on clay that most of his resume is built on that. His other accomplishments are good but not goat material. Like it or not, Wimbledon will always be the most prestigious, followed by french/US then Australian.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Burns more calories in 2 minutes than any beisbol team does in 20 hours

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Burns more calories in 2 minutes than any beisbol team does in 20 hours
    And is a better PG than Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what has Nadal done to claim #2 at this point in his career? He's the greatest clay player ever - no doubt - but other than that? Djokavic is right there on him... never mind the greats like Sampras.

Thread Information