Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the asterisk for?
    *Lost matchup with Nadal

what has Nadal done to claim #2 at this point in his career?
    Won 15 slams (2nd most all time), pretty straightforward.

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what has Nadal done to claim #2 at this point in his career? He's the greatest clay player ever - no doubt - but other than that? Djokavic is right there on him... never mind the greats like Sampras.
    Second most Grand Slams won
    Oympic gold medals in both singles and doubles
    4 Davis Cups won
    Most ATP 1000 won
    Only player to win 10 times the same tournament
    Winning record against the other Big Four

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching tennis is about as fun as watching nascar or golf.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because Becker willander played in a different era.

Nadal is good but he is so dominant on clay that most of his resume is built on that. His other accomplishments are good but not goat material. Like it or not, Wimbledon will always be the most prestigious, followed by french/US then Australian.
    Becker shared more than a decade with Sampras, Wilander like 7 or 8 years.

And lol at the US Open and the Australian Open being more prestigious than Roland Garros. Self centered much?

The Australian Open is by far the least prestigious one, Wimbledon is clearly the most prestigious one and Roland Garros is on par with the US open, with most of the Europeans and South Americans preferring the French tournament.

And about Nadal, he's a 15 times Grand Slam champion, having won at least one time each major, capping all that of with several Davis Cups and Olympic Gold in both singles and doubles. There's really no argument to be made about him not being the second greatest player of all-time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching tennis is about as fun as watching nascar or golf.
    golf is the lowest on the totem pole. you can just play your own game. the other players dont affect your score. the only variable is the breeze. it's challenging to be sure, but it's an individual craft. it's akin to playing an individual game at an arcade like pinball, taking turns, and seeing who records the best score, rather than playing a game like street fighter where you are directly competing

at least in tennis and nascar you have adversaries on the same field trying to screw with your plans

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

And lol at the US Open and the Australian Open being more prestigious than Roland Garros. Self centered much?

The Australian Open is by far the least prestigious one, Wimbledon is clearly the most prestigious one and Roland Garros is on par with the US open, with most of the Europeans and South Americans preferring the French tournament.

And about Nadal, he's a 15 times Grand Slam champion, having won at least one time each major, capping all that of with several Davis Cups and Olympic Gold in both singles and doubles. There's really no argument to be made about him not being the second greatest player of all-time.
    Son read amb's post agin, he said literally the same thing tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Son read amb's post agin, he said literally the same thing tbh
    lol yeah.

But then I don't get his point. Only the players that win Wimbledon matter?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becker was way over the hill by the Sampras hit his prime, and Wilander more so.

That's what I just said. I even said French/US then Australian. What were you reading?

Only 10 of those 15 came from the same tournament. He's great, if it wasn't for Federer, he'd be the greatest ever, but there's Federer, and Nadal never got to dominate his own era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come to think of it, does it have anything to do with Nadal speaking Spanish? I mean, if Messi spoke Italian, I am sure you will have Ronaldo above him.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    ^

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sampras

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you guys really think that Rafa over Djoker is a given? I personally think Djoker is right up there with Rafa and Pete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    golf is the lowest on the totem pole. you can just play your own game. the other players dont affect your score. the only variable is the breeze. it's challenging to be sure, but it's an individual craft. it's akin to playing an individual game at an arcade like pinball, taking turns, and seeing who records the best score, rather than playing a game like street fighter where you are directly competing

at least in tennis and nascar you have adversaries on the same field trying to screw with your plans

Yeah....it's one up from bowling in that regard.

The only variable from an opponent is if you're in contention and you need to decide whether to take some risks or play it safe.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I must've watched 5/6th of this match last night, and I somehow managed to miss this exchange. I saw something in the comments and just figured it was historical context

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becker was way over the hill by the Sampras hit his prime, and Wilander more so.
    I don't remember Wilander. He must've been before my time, like in the 70's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't remember Wilander. He must've been before my time, like in the 70's.
    Mostly late 80s early 90s. I think he made #1 for like a few weeks between Lendl and edberg but I may have been wrong. Flash in the pan guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come to think of it, does it have anything to do with Nadal speaking Spanish? I mean, if Messi spoke Italian, I am sure you will have Ronaldo above him.
    No, I actually sport hate Nadal because I'm a Fed fan. I was also a huge Sampras fan and an Agassi hater but I don't let personal bias get in the way of irrefutable facts, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mostly late 80s early 90s. I think he made #1 for like a few weeks between Lendl and edberg but I may have been wrong. Flash in the pan guy.
    This guy calls Wilander a "flash in the pan" guy when he is a former number one guy and a three times GS champion but then talks up one hit wonders like Rod and Ivanisevic. Weren't you supposed to be old? You should be backing Wilander up, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also lol at saying "10 of Nadal GS came at Roland Garros" when 7 of Sampras GS came on Wimbledon. At least Nadal was able to win at least a major on every surface.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also lol at saying "10 of Nadal GS came at Roland Garros" when 7 of Sampras GS came on Wimbledon. At least Nadal was able to win at least a major on every surface.
    It speaks to Nadal's playing style. He is at a great advantage when he can slide and use that sort of athleticism that he possesses. The discrepancy is telling. That's why him winning two gold medals on the hard courts is something of an anomaly. I guess in 08 he was maybe the best in the world, and he just got a bit of luck in 16.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It speaks to Nadal's playing style. He is at a great advantage when he can slide and use that sort of athleticism that he possesses. The discrepancy is telling. That's why him winning two gold medals on the hard courts is something of an anomaly. I guess in 08 he was maybe the best in the world, and he just got a bit of luck in 16.
    So what does it say about Sampras style that he won 7 of his 14 GS on grass, and was never good enough to win on clay?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always forget, are the Olympics B of 3 or 5?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always forget, are the Olympics B of 3 or 5?
    Best of 3, the final is best of 5. Like the old Masters series.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what does it say about Sampras style that he won 7 of his 14 GS on grass?
    It says that he's damn good. Grass is the "neutral" / "natural" playing surface for tennis. Clay is slippery and thereby "unnatural" and hard courts artificially increase the speed of the ball. When this is understood, that's part of what makes Wimbledon so great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It says that he's damn good. Grass is the "neutral" / "natural" playing surface for tennis. Clay is slippery and thereby "unnatural" and hard courts artificially increase the speed of the ball. When this is understood, that's part of what makes Wimbledon so great.
    Clary is slippery but Wimbledon is "natural"?

Any scrub with a good serve has a chance on grass (specially in previous eras, before they slowed down the courts). You actually have to play tennis to win on clay.

Thread Information