Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If 10 years ago somebody told me "you're going to play until you're 40", I would've answered you're crazy.
    By Manu Ginobili

IBIZA, Spain.- This time the decision took longer than other times because I had more doubts. I wanted to meditate things more, to see how I felt about it, what were my sensations and questions that popped up. And when I felt that it was the right choice, I understood that enough time had gone by to communicate what my future was going to be.

I talked to Pop a lot before going on vacations, and he told me he wanted me to continue playing, and that he needed me on the team. With that, I needed some space to think hard what I really wanted to do. I didn't feel like he was trying to convince me of anything, he just told me what he thought. I even know that if he thought otherwise he would've told me that too. If he didn't want me, everything was almost easier, because I wasn't going to cry to sleep because they didn't want me anymore. It would've been "this is how far I made it and that's that". Because I certainly wasn't going to start looking for a new team.

I accepted because it's a great honor to be on a franchise like this one, being 40 years old and feeling important, with people that tell me they like me and that I'm still important for the team. Everything I planned to do for retirement, I'll postpone for a little longer. If I would've decided to retire and take a year off, I couldn't have come back at 41. I feel I made the right choice, the one everyone said I should do, because none of the people close to me told me "that's enough, relax and enjoy things".

The reality is that I still have a good time and enjoy it. I have less responsibilities than in the past and the team takes good care of me. This is ideal for me, and above all, at my age. The family wasn't a problem. Many told me again to do whatever made me feel good. Obviously we're curious to see what having all the time in the world for us looks like, but because we're fine in San Antonio and we have the kids in school, it's not a problem to keep going with my current job.

It's clear that this is going to be a special season for me, although I also know it won't be different when I walk into the court, because I always want to help my team win. And it's also clear that I'm not the devilish player I was. Pop says my compe iveness is intact, but I certainly don't feel as compe ive as before, not just because of capacity, speed and all those physical things, but also because a change in priorities.

Although when the ball is in the air and I make a couple of bad plays, or somebody taunts me, winning or losing is obviously not the same thing. Everything I do, I try to do well. Truthfully, if I didn't change the way I absorb the pressure and expectations, I would've retired after the Miami Final in 2013 or 2014.

And now I also think how the team reorganized. Rudy Gay is coming in, and initially somebody might look surprised because he doesn't seem to have the San Antonio style, but he has enormous talent, and a versatility that allows him to play as a SF or SG, which can give Kawhi minutes to rest, and he also can play with Kawhi... He's a great scorer, athletic, resourceful... Like any new player in San Antonio, it will take him some time to adapt to the system, and it's a matter of seeing how long it takes for him. Same thing with Joffrey Lauvergne who is also a resourceful player but has to integrate himself with our game style and understand he's going to be behind LaMarcus and possibly Pau. We also welcome Brandon Paul, a player that Pop told me has grown a lot and was happy to be able to acquire.

We have to see how we fit all the pieces. Oh, also for San Antonio and me personally, it's important that Patty stays, not only because he's a great player, but also because he's a great person. Besides having tremendous talent, he's my link to the new generation of player; my connection to him is important. I'm not saying his continuity with the team has anything to do with me coming back, I'm saying it's significant to me that he's back. And I was happy when I learned he would be back; I even think that gave my decision a little push.

Now that everything is digested, I feel I made a decision that allows me to keep competing at the highest level, which is what I always wanted to do. And also, at an age I didn't think I would still be active. Both because of my style of play and the risks I took on the court, and the amount of miles my legs have between San Antonion and the National Team... That's why, if 10 years ago somebody told me "you're going to play until you're 40", I would've answered you're crazy. So I'm privileged to stay in a franchise that's part of the elite. Slowly I start thinking that everything will soon start again. I have to get in the best shape to continue being valuable to the team and help my teammates. For now, continue enjoying the vacations a bit more, and when I hit San Antonio I'll give it all I have. After a long recess, it's not the same thing to get back in shape when you're 40, than for Dejounte Murray, who's going to be 21. I know I'm going to have to work a lot and take care of myself more than usual. When the time comes, I'll be ready to get the machine at 100%.

---

Link to original article in Spanish: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/2045392-l...ue-estaba-loco

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OLE OLE MANUUUU
    Venga bienvenido de vuelta. Espero que te encargues de todos estos pibes bebes que tiene Pop botando la bola y tirando balas blancas.
    Manu, encargate de Dijon por favor. Ensenale al chiquito como rayos evitar que le quiten la bola. Ahi con los rookies bueno que aprendan mirando porque Pop no los va a sacar de la casita del perro. Bueno, tu siempre te fajas asi que nada mas, no se diga mas. Adelante. Que los fans siempre disfrutan cuando tu juegas... y sabes que? Si te duele la "christmas" (es una expresion caribena).. bueno ni modo le dices a Pop que juege la juventud que tiene y que se ponga a dirigir el equipo y no te este poniendo el peso de todos los "bebes" que el tiene reclutados encima a ti.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cheers for the translation Nono!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most surprising thing from the article for me was that Manu and Pop have had a conversation about Brandon Paul

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome glad he's back. Go suck a bag of s TGY/Hater/etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's send him out the way we welcomed him, with a

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most surprising thing from the article for me was that Manu and Pop have had a conversation about Brandon Paul
    We also welcome Brandon Paul, a player that Pop told me has grown a lot and was happy to be able to acquire.
    Pop: "By the way, RC told me he signed Paul as our new point guard. He'll be wearing number 3."

Manu: "RC the drunkard?? No way!!"

Pop: "Do you know he really has a brother named Cliff? RC spoke to him! Heck of a GM!"

Manu: "Wish we got someone taller..."

Pop: "Don't worry... RC said he has grown a lot. He's now 6'3"!"

Manu: "Can't believe RC pulled this off! Gotta check SpursTalk for details."
    Last edited by Snaq O'Meal; 07-20-2017 at 05:23 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most surprising thing about the article is he didn't say this was his last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop used to clear all roster additions with the Big Three. While I doubt 15th men warrant special discussion, I would imagine that Manu's used to asking about new guys, especially someone who so obviously replaced Simmons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Andate a la mierda y de vuelta a Guatemala pelotudo

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paul will be a better player than Simmons..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu le llenó la cara de leche a unos cuantos usuarios de Spurstalk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thrilled to have him back, F that haters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop used to clear all roster additions with the Big Three. While I doubt 15th men warrant special discussion, I would imagine that Manu's used to asking about new guys, especially someone who so obviously replaced Simmons.
    not to mention that paul could be one of the players that would spell relief for manu directly, whether by relieving his minutes or filling manu's void in case of an injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought the same. It goes unspoken and unsaid there, but I imagine Brandon Paul came up in the context of Pop explaining what he has in mind for the bench etc... and discussing what happened with JSimms and how they will compensate for his departure.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 07-20-2017 at 11:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Muchisimas gracias El Nono!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Andate a la mierda y de vuelta a Guatemala pelotudo
    culo roto, Hater culo roto y Hater culo roto y Hater culo rotooooo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't be the same without him on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He said it's clear it's going to be a special season for him, farewell tour?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is very serious, only did it to bother those weak posters.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If 10 years ago somebody told me "you're going to play until you're 40", I would've answered you're crazy.
    By Manu Ginobili

IBIZA, Spain.- This time the decision took longer than other times because I had more doubts. I wanted to meditate things more, to see how I felt about it, what were my sensations and questions that popped up. And when I felt that it was the right choice, I understood that enough time had gone by to communicate what my future was going to be.

I talked to Pop a lot before going on vacations, and he told me he wanted me to continue playing, and that he needed me on the team. With that, I needed some space to think hard what I really wanted to do. I didn't feel like he was trying to convince me of anything, he just told me what he thought. I even know that if he thought otherwise he would've told me that too. If he didn't want me, everything was almost easier, because I wasn't going to cry to sleep because they didn't want me anymore. It would've been "this is how far I made it and that's that". Because I certainly wasn't going to start looking for a new team.

I accepted because it's a great honor to be on a franchise like this one, being 40 years old and feeling important, with people that tell me they like me and that I'm still important for the team. Everything I planned to do for retirement, I'll postpone for a little longer. If I would've decided to retire and take a year off, I couldn't have come back at 41. I feel I made the right choice, the one everyone said I should do, because none of the people close to me told me "that's enough, relax and enjoy things".

The reality is that I still have a good time and enjoy it. I have less responsibilities than in the past and the team takes good care of me. This is ideal for me, and above all, at my age. The family wasn't a problem. Many told me again to do whatever made me feel good. Obviously we're curious to see what having all the time in the world for us looks like, but because we're fine in San Antonio and we have the kids in school, it's not a problem to keep going with my current job.

It's clear that this is going to be a special season for me, although I also know it won't be different when I walk into the court, because I always want to help my team win. And it's also clear that I'm not the devilish player I was. Pop says my compe iveness is intact, but I certainly don't feel as compe ive as before, not just because of capacity, speed and all those physical things, but also because a change in priorities.

Although when the ball is in the air and I make a couple of bad plays, or somebody taunts me, winning or losing is obviously not the same thing. Everything I do, I try to do well. Truthfully, if I didn't change the way I absorb the pressure and expectations, I would've retired after the Miami Final in 2013 or 2014.

And now I also think how the team reorganized. Rudy Gay is coming in, and initially somebody might look surprised because he doesn't seem to have the San Antonio style, but he has enormous talent, and a versatility that allows him to play as a SF or SG, which can give Kawhi minutes to rest, and he also can play with Kawhi... He's a great scorer, athletic, resourceful... Like any new player in San Antonio, it will take him some time to adapt to the system, and it's a matter of seeing how long it takes for him. Same thing with Joffrey Lauvergne who is also a resourceful player but has to integrate himself with our game style and understand he's going to be behind LaMarcus and possibly Pau. We also welcome Brandon Paul, a player that Pop told me has grown a lot and was happy to be able to acquire.

We have to see how we fit all the pieces. Oh, also for San Antonio and me personally, it's important that Patty stays, not only because he's a great player, but also because he's a great person. Besides having tremendous talent, he's my link to the new generation of player; my connection to him is important. I'm not saying his continuity with the team has anything to do with me coming back, I'm saying it's significant to me that he's back. And I was happy when I learned he would be back; I even think that gave my decision a little push.

Now that everything is digested, I feel I made a decision that allows me to keep competing at the highest level, which is what I always wanted to do. And also, at an age I didn't think I would still be active. Both because of my style of play and the risks I took on the court, and the amount of miles my legs have between San Antonion and the National Team... That's why, if 10 years ago somebody told me "you're going to play until you're 40", I would've answered you're crazy. So I'm privileged to stay in a franchise that's part of the elite. Slowly I start thinking that everything will soon start again. I have to get in the best shape to continue being valuable to the team and help my teammates. For now, continue enjoying the vacations a bit more, and when I hit San Antonio I'll give it all I have. After a long recess, it's not the same thing to get back in shape when you're 40, than for Dejounte Murray, who's going to be 21. I know I'm going to have to work a lot and take care of myself more than usual. When the time comes, I'll be ready to get the machine at 100%.

---

Link to original article in Spanish: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/2045392-l...ue-estaba-loco

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's why RC gave Patty the 12:01 AM contract quickly.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    :50milemoji :pattythrillsemoji

Get it done Deuce.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not particularly happy with his dont care about result and care.more about experience at ude.

The spurs need hungry players...not these kind of mentality.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Oh, also for San Antonio and me personally, it's important that Patty stays, not only because he's a great player, but also because he's a great person. Besides having tremendous talent, he's my link to the new generation of player; my connection to him is important. I'm not saying his continuity with the team has anything to do with me coming back, I'm saying it's significant to me that he's back. And I was happy when I learned he would be back; I even think that gave my decision a little push.
    Whew, TheGreatYacht is going to be triggered as at this part.

Thread Information