Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    People forget that Pau could have signed with Spurs in the 2015-2016 NBA season. Spurs had LMA, Duncan, Manu, Tony, Kawhi. Spurs lost to Thunder in Duncan's final season before retiring but Pau could have helped. He played well for Chicago that season before getting hurt in the playoffs. Instead Pau signs when Duncan retired and Spurs only make it to 2017 WCF before Kawhi got ZaZaed.

Pau's biggest mistake was not signing with Spurs when they had a legit shot to ring. That was 2015-2016 NBA season and with that lineup it boggles my mind how Spurs lost to Thunder. Spurs could have beat Warrior and Cavs imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People forget that Pau could have signed with Spurs in the 2015-2016 NBA season. Spurs had LMA, Duncan, Manu, Tony, Kawhi. Spurs lost to Thunder in Duncan's final season before retiring but Pau could have helped. He played well for Chicago that season before getting hurt in the playoffs. Instead Pau signs when Duncan retired and Spurs only make it to 2017 WCF before Kawhi got ZaZaed.

Pau's biggest mistake was not signing with Spurs when they had a legit shot to ring. That was 2015-2016 NBA season and with that lineup it boggles my mind how Spurs lost to Thunder. Spurs could have beat Warrior and Cavs imo.
    I think he was SA bound before his Chicago years, but definetely before LMA, and not with him.

We were looking at a FC depth of Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, Gasol.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in bump scared me into thinking this was new news

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he was SA bound before his Chicago years, but definetely before LMA, and not with him.

We were looking at a FC depth of Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, Gasol.
    yes, the infamous Tspence saga. Bulls gave him a bigger contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in bump scared me into thinking this was new news

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this was worse than 12:01 imo because at least patty had rang with us, and det lockerroom culture

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It still hurts

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's true. But Leonard demanded the team acquire a star, and the team attempted to accommodate him the summer they re-signed Gasol. Kawhi was probably going to leave no matter what (though I think Leonard wanted to stay in SA way more than Toronto), but that doesn't mean he wasn't trying to throw his weight around years before he actually demanded a trade.

? Not saying you're wrong, I just don't recall it and didn't sense it. It's easy to reverse engineer it and say he gave the Clippers an ultimatum with George, but I thought that was a bluff.

I think the team knew they needed Paul, Walker, etc. to compete with the Warriors.

I also think he cared more so about having more players of similar age/background.

Pretty sure he could do without the attention. He's autistic af tbh. Credit, sure. (At least a) Second star, yup. Coach that treats him like royalty, mmmm yeah. LA, most definitely. Attention, not really. He doesn't seek attention like s of LeBron/CP3/KD ilk.
    Nah, he wanted attention. Not so much in terms of having to speak, but more so others speaking about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe the spurs will trade him in a year and half in and get Belinelli back.
    close enough. both of these soft losers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard wasn't staying in San Antonio for any reason. Maybe just maybe he didn't like his teammates and nothing thy could have done could have made him stay!!! Now Pau being signed to that gross contract is one thing that is disturbing on it's own but it had no effect on Leonard leaving. I would say the signing of Gay over his buddies played a huger role in the situation than Pau deal.
    Agree. I was not implying that. I was saying that stupid move was stupid regardless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stars making demands almost never ends up good for the roster. Kawhi wanted the Spurs to get a star, the team set up a trade for Aldridge to make room and had a deal in place with Pau to fill in the gaps. Houston squicked the Spurs by trading for Paul before free agency. We've gone over the math of the Gasol deal a ton now. No one likes its structure. But it didn't make Leonard leave nor prevent him from staying.
    Yeah - was not implying it had anything to do with Kawhi leaving. Just that it was a terrible move that Foreshadowed the decline in good roster building.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ? Not saying you're wrong, I just don't recall it and didn't sense it. It's easy to reverse engineer it and say he gave the Clippers an ultimatum with George, but I thought that was a bluff.

I think the team knew they needed Paul, Walker, etc. to compete with the Warriors.

I also think he cared more so about having more players of similar age/background.

Nah, he wanted attention. Not so much in terms of having to speak, but more so others speaking about him.
    not that hard to believe since it seems pretty consistent with him asking the Clippers and Raptors to get another star last off-season (mainly PG). Also at the time LMA demanded a trade and was coming off a bad season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah - was not implying it had anything to do with Kawhi leaving. Just that it was a terrible move that Foreshadowed the decline in good roster building.
    My bad I understand it's just so many Spurs fans think that Mills and Pau signings are what caused the Kawhi fiasco.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My bad I understand it's just so many Spurs fans think that Mills and Pau signings are what caused the Kawhi fiasco.
    i dont think they caused the kawhi fiasco per se but i do think they were symptomatic of an underlying problem that itself contributed to kawhi checking out

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not that hard to believe since it seems pretty consistent with him asking the Clippers and Raptors to get another star last off-season (mainly PG). Also at the time LMA demanded a trade and was coming off a bad season.
    I didn't say it was, just that I hadn't heard it or sensed it here.

I think he was just toying with the Clippers and especially Raptors, feeling his oats, trying to gauge just how much power he had. In the end, the fact that he left the reigning champion (tainted, but still) indicated he was always going to the Clippers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

duncans good knee gave out in the winter that season before the playoffs in addition to the thunder being traditionally a bad match up for the spurs...especially an aging version of the spurs

Thread Information