Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol 5.0 40 yd dash

He was clocked in at 16.2 mph for how long? Like a split second? We both know that walrus can't sustain that speed over 300m. Those stats of yours are sounding shadier and shadier, tbh.
    Why would he gear up on a sure standup double?

Another cherry pick.

the stats are shady because they defeat my argument

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice cherry picked angle.

Look at that gut.

Also, when did Colon become the best in the world?

"Solid starter" Colon has an 8.00 era this year. Career ERA above 4.00. He was an average-to-below pitcher with a couple good years.
    Still not morbidly obese. He's packing plenty of muscle underneath. You don't go from this:

to morbidly obese. Also lol at Texas champ. Maybe I should start looking for fat fatball players in the Guatemalan league. Keep reaching bro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would he gear up on a sure standup double?

Another cherry pick.

the stats are shady because they defeat my argument
    (90ft+90ft) / 11.4 sec = 15.79 ft/s = 10.77 mph

Talk about ing cherry picking. I can hit close to 30 mph on my bike doesn't mean I'm going to claim that I can do that for a significant amount of time.

Also why is it that fatball's numbers always compare favorably to other sports? Like even the doughiest mother er in all of MLB is supposed to be faster than any NFL O-lineman? Some of which are physical specimen? It just doesn't pass the eye test. That's like if I said Neymar could bench more than Stanton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (90ft+90ft) / 11.4 sec = 15.79 ft/s = 10.77 mph

Talk about ing cherry picking. I can hit close to 30 mph on my bike doesn't mean I'm going to claim that I can do that for a significant amount of time.

Also why is it that fatball's numbers always compare favorably to other sports? Like even the doughiest mother er in all of MLB is supposed to be faster than any NFL O-lineman? Some of which are physical specimen? It just doesn't pass the eye test. That's like if I said Neymar could bench more than Stanton.
    Are you this dumb?

First of all, average=/=top speed. Usain Bolt averaged 23.3 over 100m in his 9.58 world record sprint, reaching a max of about 28mph.

Second of all, if you watch the videos, Colon slows up a lot after rounding first since a standup double is guaranteed.

Eye-test.

Watch NFL combine sprints of fat ass 360lb linemen. They look uncoordinated and slow as , until you look up and see a 5.3 time.

Bartolo Colon weighs a good 70 less than an NFL lineman. Despite his fat face, stupid ass haircut, and gut, the guy is athletic. Used to throw 102 mph (and you need an absurd amount of leg strength to generate velocities like that), has more muscle mass in his forearms alone than Neymar has in his entire body, and contrary to your belief, he puts in work during the off-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you this dumb?

First of all, average=/=top speed. Usain Bolt averaged 23.3 over 100m in his 9.58 world record sprint, reaching a max of about 28mph.

Second of all, if you watch the videos, Colon slows up a lot after rounding first since a standup double is guaranteed.

Eye-test.

Watch NFL combine sprints of fat ass 360lb linemen. They look uncoordinated and slow as , until you look up and see a 5.3 time.

Bartolo Colon weighs a good 70 less than an NFL lineman. Despite his fat face, stupid ass haircut, and gut, the guy is athletic. Used to throw 102 mph (and you need an absurd amount of leg strength to generate velocities like that), has more muscle mass in his forearms alone than Neymar has in his entire body, and contrary to your belief, he puts in work during the off-season.

I had no idea that they weren't the same. Thanks for helping me out.

The point I was trying to make was that a guy his size will lose steam fast. That 16.2 mph number looks nice on it's own until you realize he can't sustain it for more than a split second. I did misread the chart you provided though. That's the average top speed of all lineman for each respective position. So there's plenty of lineman out there who are faster than Fatolo, it's just the slower guys are bringing down the average.

I also wouldn't say Fatolo is 70 lbs lighter than NFL lineman. He's atleast 300 lbs. Plenty of LTs lighter than that. And I don't think most lineman are upwards of 350.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And obviously the guy is doing something right to stay in MLF this long. I'm not claiming he's some sedentary slob like DMC. Still, no matter how you slice it it's pretty embarrassing for your game that a guy upwards of 40 and in horrible shape (especially for a pro athlete) is still hanging around. He started off like 10-0 or something crazy like that just last season, no?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had no idea that they weren't the same. Thanks for helping me out.

The point I was trying to make was that a guy his size will lose steam fast. That 16.2 mph number looks nice on it's own until you realize he can't sustain it for more than a split second. I did misread the chart you provided though. That's the average top speed of all lineman for each respective position. So there's plenty of lineman out there who are faster than Fatolo, it's just the slower guys are bringing down the average.

I also wouldn't say Fatolo is 70 lbs lighter than NFL lineman. He's atleast 300 lbs. Plenty of LTs lighter than that. And I don't think most lineman are upwards of 350.
    How do you know? We don't have evidence either way. Colon is a pitcher, and pitchers obviously don't hit a lot of doubles and triples, steal bases, score from 1st to home, where we can get a true measure of their max effort speeds over a decent distance. Colon is about 270. He's only 5'11".

I'm not claiming Colon is faster than all lineman, I'm correlating top sprint speeds to 40 times. If you can reach a 16mph, you can probably run a 5ish 40.

I also don't know why your lot is so fixated on weight and fatness? Soccer is the only sport where all the players are skinny (er. skinnyfat), and some of them look like 12 year old girls, which is equally as unathletic a body as fatness.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 08-08-2017 at 10:44 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And obviously the guy is doing something right to stay in MLF this long. I'm not claiming he's some sedentary slob like DMC. Still, no matter how you slice it it's pretty embarrassing for your game that a guy upwards of 40 and in horrible shape (especially for a pro athlete) is still hanging around. He started off like 10-0 or something crazy like that just last season, no?
    It's more embarrassing for a game when a guy who is built like a woman is the highest paid player in soccer.

It's embarrassing for a sport when a guy in such terrible shape as this was the face of NFL defensive players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you know? We don't have evidence either way. Colon is a pitcher, and pitchers obviously don't hit a lot of doubles and triples, steal bases, score from 1st to home, where we can get a true measure of their max effort speeds over a decent distance. Colon is about 270. He's only 5'11".

I'm not claiming Colon is faster than all lineman, I'm correlating top sprint speeds to 40 times. If you can reach a 16mph, you can probably run a 5ish 40.

I also don't know why your lot is so fixated on weight and fatness? Soccer is the only sport where all the players are skinny (er. skinnyfat), and some of them look like 12 year old girls, which is equally as unathletic a body as a fatness.
    He's officially listed at 285, bro. That's probably generous too. Just like Diaw was always listed at like 225. But even if we go with what he's listed at he's not 70 lbs lighter than NFL lineman unless you think all of them are 355+.

Full disclosure, after like 4.7 or so I'm not too adept at knowing whether a time is fast or not relative to size. So I guess it's possible he could run a 5.0-5.1 40.

What do you mean? Fat does not go with sport. Its a detriment to almost any form of movement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, though, fatness is actually more valuable as a body type than thinness.

5'8", 140lb.

Discounting weight class sports, Neymar can't play (at a high level):

Rugby, Rugby League, Gaelic Football, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Aussie Rules, Cricket, Volleyball (too short), Waterpolo (too short and too light. Also a lot of good fat guys in WP), and Handball.

Tennis is about the only ball sport he can walk into and not get killed or have his puny size be a massive detriment (hitting and throwing in baseball, ing in volleyball, etc).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's more embarrassing for a game when a guy who is built like a woman is the highest paid player in soccer.

It's embarrassing for a sport when a guy in such terrible shape as this was the face of NFL defensive players.

Lettuce be honest though. That girl body helps Neymar in soccer. That body helped Wilfork close up gaps. Being morbidly obese didn't help Colon since he made it to the majors in shape. He just ballooned because he can. Because your game requires so little physical exertion. Other guys like Miggy Cabrera have done the same and let themselves go too (to a lesser extent obviously) yet remained effective.

Your dull, stationary game allows it. Just like golf, bowling, billiards, and darts does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's officially listed at 285, bro. That's probably generous too. Just like Diaw was always listed at like 225. But even if we go with what he's listed at he's not 70 lbs lighter than NFL lineman unless you think all of them are 355+.

Full disclosure, after like 4.7 or so I'm not too adept at knowing whether a time is fast or not relative to size. So I guess it's possible he could run a 5.0-5.1 40.

What do you mean? Fat does not go with sport. Its a detriment to almost any form of movement.
    You'll see in my latest post where I show fatness is more valuable than thinness in a lot of sports, especially depending on position.

Fatness is valuable in:

Power lifting, shot put, javelin, discus, combat sports at the heavier classes, football, and rugby.

It's not even valuable in baseball. All your favorites (Sandoval, Fielder, Colon, CC) are below average to average players.

Thinness doesn't really go with sport, either. Limited muscle mass prevents athletic and explosive movements.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lettuce be honest though. That girl body helps Neymar in soccer. That body helped Wilfork close up gaps. Being morbidly obese didn't help Colon since he made it to the majors in shape. He just ballooned because he can. Because your game requires so little physical exertion. Other guys like Miggy Cabrera have done the same and let themselves go too (to a lesser extent obviously) yet remained effective.

Your dull, stationary game allows it. Just like golf, bowling, billiards, and darts does.
    Sports which are built around girly body types aren't real sports.

Miguel Cabrera. Unathletic? Okay.

At all these moving goalposts.

"Well, my sport NEEDS those players to look like girls or be clinically obese, so it's okay. But a few cherry picked players got fat and were decent players, so it's different." That said, if girly body types can succeed at a sport, what's that say about the athletic demands of said sport? I don't give a about stamina. All the unathletic kids ran cross-country. Color me unimpressed.

Weight can also help increase pitching velocity and hitting power, so it does help, but this depends on the individual player's physiology and the position. Too much muscle mass is actually a detriment to flexibility.

It's also like skill and knowledge don't exist in your world. Colon can make up for his lack of athleticism with skill. Would he be better if he was still in the shape of his younger days? Have no idea. If he retained his skill and flexibility while putting on the extra weight, he might've become even better. Some body types don't do well with excessive muscle mass.

Happens in boxing all the time. Texas's own (and likely a distant relative of yours) Homero Fonseca has won les and remained an effective professional boxer looking like this. And no Texas Champ. The MLB is 800 players deep. In boxing, only a select few are good enough to compete for a world le. Them being the absolute best-of-the-best doesn't invalidate the effective professional boxers who are good enough to win regional les, get televised fights, and make a living off the sport.

Don't think I'm making fun of El Oso. Guy has skills and is someone I respect more as an athlete than any soccer twink. Look at him press the action against a former Olympian and the 12th ranked HW in the world. Nice footwork and combination work there. El Oso also went the distance with Andy Ruiz Jr., 14th ranked HW in the world.

Last edited by midnightpulp; 08-09-2017 at 07:23 AM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably Paul Williams

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Limited muscle mass prevents athletic and explosive movements.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's just four examples where limited muscle mass obviously doesn't prevent athletic and explosive movements.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's just four examples where limited muscle mass obviously doesn't prevent athletic and explosive movements.
    Prevent was a bad choice of words. I should've used limited.

Rohler looks pretty ripped (he's also 6'3", so he has naturally has body mass through height as well):

So does Taylor:

Long jump gold medalist:

Bolt and Powell:

Gatin:

Shot put gold medalist:

More muscle mass, more explosion. Basic physics. There's certainly a tipping point, like a 350lb sprinter, no matter how much muscle mass, won't be much of a threat, but a sprinter who's 130lb soaking wet isn't doing much either.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 08-09-2017 at 04:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, work got in the way.
    Röhler looks like a lot of Footballers do. Lewandowski for example. And my point sill stands: there are plenty of "thin People" sports that rely on athletic and explosive movements. In fact for sports like high jump a more muscular frame would be hindering.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, work got in the way.
    Röhler looks like a lot of Footballers do. Lewandowski for example. And my point sill stands: there are plenty of "thin People" sports that rely on athletic and explosive movements. In fact for sports like high jump a more muscular frame would be hindering.
    I wouldn't necessarily consider Rohler's build "thin." This is thin/skinny:

And I know there's muscular soccer players. I'm just using the dumb logic of, "Well, look at his guy's crappy body I cherry picked! If he can make it as pro in that sport, the sport must not be demanding!"

I can cherry pick a bunch of great soccer players who look like anorexic school girls and make the same argument. End of the day, I think it's a silly criterion. Every person is different. Some get better with muscle mass, lost weight, some get worse. Some people are strong as despite looking skinny, while some who are jacked aren't very strong. Sometimes it's more effective to be fat than ripped. I mean, Bob Sapp was of 350lb muscle, while NFL linemen are clinically obese. Why don't the strength and conditioning coaches force lineman to pack on 350lb of muscle instead? Probably because it's useless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO there's a big difference between thin and skinny, but I get what you're saying. Got that before you said it. I just had some time to kill and thought I'd participate a bit in the whole football/baseball back-and-forth.
    You keep doing your thing, you'll bait the usual guys into the next round of the same "discussion".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO there's a big difference between thin and skinny, but I get what you're saying. Got that before you said it. I just had some time to kill and thought I'd participate a bit in the whole football/baseball back-and-forth.
    You keep doing your thing, you'll bait the usual guys into the next round of the same "discussion".

They bait me, but I can't help calling out bad arguments and logic.

Thread Information