Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about you try it once. Nvm. You probably get banned in one second.
    Dude, you burned yourself, moron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outspoken black men, tbh... we know how Pop deals with them... If he was Euro or Mexican he would still be playing for the Spurs, tbh...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outspoken black men, tbh... we know how Pop deals with them... If he was Euro or Mexican he would still be playing for the Spurs, tbh...
    "Outspoken" DR was hardly stable. I still blame Pop though, for not accepting that DR had an IQ of about 60 and the emotional stability of a rabid animal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs were a more disciplinary team back then. They let Rod Strickland walk even though he was one of the best point guards in the league because he was also a head case that didn't buy into a military team in a military town. They let a lot of talent walk bc of their baggage. But Pop struck gold when he got good character guys like Tim, Manu, Tony (aside from sexting teammates' wives), and Bowen...talented players with good character. Baggage guys even now don't last long. Sure the Rodman trade was lopsided (though Perdue was an underrated player), but Spurs have won the right way with good guys, which counts for something.
    As I recall, didn't the Spurs literally let Strickland walk, as in they got nothing for him? He was a good fit here (didn't he do something moronic like get injured in a club fight during the playoffs?), but he had trade value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rodman retired with 5 rings. That's not an accident. He was a special player.
    It might be said that other coaches were able to harness Rodman's talents, whilst Pop's ego came first...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It might be said that other coaches were able to harness Rodman's talents, whilst Pop's ego came first...
    Pop didn't coach Rodman. Pop was the GM at the time and Bob Hill was the coach. Judging by the previous post in which you questioned the Spurs trading Rodman to the Bulls shows you must have been really young around that time. Rodman was a talented player but was super toxic during his time with the spurs. He was so toxic that the spurs could not find anybody willing to trade for him outside of the bulls. That's how bad his reputation had become throughout league circles for all the antics he pulled during the '94-'95 season. Rodman lucked out that the Bulls were desperate for a PF after losing to the Magic. If the bulls had not taken him then his career would have ended earlier. Rodman is in the mold of Jr Smith-Artest type of player which is he can only function playing with the best player and best team in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's ok to your teammate's wife as long as you don't try to wear her clothes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rodman and Pop were an odd fit. Playing wise, Rodman was everything Pop could have wanted. Personality wise, he was everything Pop was against. It's not often that you get a player like that. Generally, flashy play comes with a flashy personality. Ol' Denny was a real enigma.
    Popovich hates anyone he can't control. There is nothing much to read into really. You can be the best player in the league, if you don't submit to him 100%, he doesn't want to with you. And as was posted, Pop never coached Roadman, but was the GM. All of these Lebron and Kobe fans taking about, "I wish Kobe/Lebron played for Popovich" hahahah. yeah right. That wouldn't last 1 month.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich hates anyone he can't control. There is nothing much to read into really. You can be the best player in the league, if you don't submit to him 100%, he doesn't want to with you. And as was posted, Pop never coached Roadman, but was the GM. All of these Lebron and Kobe fans taking about, "I wish Kobe/Lebron played for Popovich" hahahah. yeah right. That wouldn't last 1 month.
    And as he's gotten older it's only getting worse. I can't wait for him to be gone. He's was great once, but he's gone senile and is just a caricature of what he used to be.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rodman disgraced himself in that Houston series. Getting rid of his ass was the right thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I lost all respect for Rodman by watching him play. One of his signatures was going under a shooter (submarining) to take him out of the play. Although it was done frequently back in the day, usually by suspect marginal players, it was a tactic universally condemned by players because of the potential to end a players career. Spur fans got a look at this tactic when Kwahi went down in the finals as the result of a similar foul by Zaza.

And who can forget (as apparently some have) his refusal to go back into a playoff game. Whatever his complaint about the coach or the team, he hadn't earned that right on the Spurs. His entire tenure seemed to be his apotheosis into the Dennis Rodman that became a monument to his own ego.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Pop, no rings.

Rodman - just go back to North Korea and stay there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rodman is obviously an insecure fragile egomaniac . him. Pop likely developed his distaste for ego driven moronic players because of this fool and his antics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop didn't coach Rodman. Pop was the GM at the time and Bob Hill was the coach. Judging by the previous post in which you questioned the Spurs trading Rodman to the Bulls shows you must have been really young around that time. Rodman was a talented player but was super toxic during his time with the spurs. He was so toxic that the spurs could not find anybody willing to trade for him outside of the bulls. That's how bad his reputation had become throughout league circles for all the antics he pulled during the '94-'95 season. Rodman lucked out that the Bulls were desperate for a PF after losing to the Magic. If the bulls had not taken him then his career would have ended earlier. Rodman is in the mold of Jr Smith-Artest type of player which is he can only function playing with the best player and best team in the league.
    Pop calls the shots, it is his organization. It was inexcusable to gift Rodman to Phil Jackson - thought so then and now. Rodman was damaged goods at the time, but you don't give him to MJ and PJ to play around with, ffs.
    I think there's a lot of tyness to go around. Bob Hill, for example. Yes, he couldn't get handle Rodman, but in truth he couldn't handle anyone. He's a loser.
    And unlike Artest, Rodman knew how to dial it in when it counted.
    Yes, Rodman was a whackjob & couldn't fit in with the Spurs rigid culture.
    However, when Rodman was engaged and motivated, the Spurs were ing invincible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks to remember all the ty coaches the Spurs have had. ing Bob Hill...LOL, Jerry Tarkanian. John Lucas, bhahah ahahah.
    If were talking about assholes who have been associated with the Spurs, these guys take the cake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop calls the shots, it is his organization. It was inexcusable to gift Rodman to Phil Jackson - thought so then and now. Rodman was damaged goods at the time, but you don't give him to MJ and PJ to play around with, ffs.
    I think there's a lot of tyness to go around. Bob Hill, for example. Yes, he couldn't get handle Rodman, but in truth he couldn't handle anyone. He's a loser.
    In the end Bulls would probably have won those 3 rings without Rodman, they won 3 before him Bulls were stacked so it wasnt a big deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rodman was toxic Pop had no choice to trade him. Rodman did not want to be in SA after the '95 playoffs was over and even stated it in an interview after the spurs got eliminated. Rodman outside of the bulls and pistons could not exist anywhere else. He worked out with the Pistons because he looked at them as a surrogate family. He worked out with the bulls because he knew he couldn't screw up playing with the GOAT or that would be the end of him. I disagree with you when you said Rodman could dial it in when it counted unlike Artest. He's no different than Artest in the sense he needs to be on a championship team with a HOF coach and HOFERS for him to function properly. Rodman flamed out in Detroit once Chuck Daily left, and flamed out in LA and Dallas.

I hated the the Rodman trade at the time when he got traded to the bulls but even I understood back then the Spurs were in a lose lose situation. Nobody wanted to touch Rodman outside of the bulls. This was not like a Gasol trade where the Spurs could have done better. You are upset at the Spurs traded him to the Bulls but what else could they have done back then?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the end Bulls would probably have won those 3 rings without Rodman, they won 3 before him Bulls were stacked so it wasnt a big deal.
    Pretty much this. The bulls were on the verge of signing Jayson Williams who was also a great rebounder who averaged a double double back then. MJ was recruiting him hard during the summer of '95 and according to an interview with Jayson he was going to sign with the bulls had the Rodman trade not happened.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rodman was toxic Pop had no choice to trade him.
    Agree. At that point, the trade was a necessary move.

But I still wonder how Pop would have dealt with high personality-egomaniacs, like Kobe, Shaq, Jordan.

During 20 years, Pop was so lucky with Tim being a low-key person by nature and so coachable despite his greatness.

That's why it should work as a point in Phil's favor. He could deal with those guys. Those players were champions on Phil's teams, they could play for him without being toxic enough to make them unplayable...

Pop was a way better coach but I doubt he could have coexisted with those Bulls/Lakers superstars. It would have been an unsolvable conflict of personalities.

Sucks to remember all the ty coaches the Spurs have had. ing Bob Hill...LOL, Jerry Tarkanian. John Lucas, bhahah ahahah.
    If were talking about assholes who have been associated with the Spurs, these guys take the cake.
    Those years were the real Spurs Dark years...Then people talk about 2008-2011 as the dark time in the franchie history...They don't know anything.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. At that point, the trade was a necessary move.

But I still wonder how Pop would have dealt with high personality-egomaniacs, like Kobe, Shaq, Jordan.

During 20 years, Pop was so lucky with Tim being a low-key person by nature and so coachable despite his greatness.

That's why it should work as a point in Phil's favor. He could deal with those guys. Those players were champions on Phil's teams, they could play for him without being toxic enough to make them unplayable...

Pop was a way better coach but I doubt he could have coexisted with those Bulls/Lakers superstars. It would have been an unsolvable conflict of personalities.

Those years were the real Spurs Dark years...Then people talk about 2008-2011 as the dark time in the franchie history...They don't know anything.
    Phil was a psychologist. He was good at dealing with egos. That was his strength. Pop would not have done well with Kobe,Shaq,Jordan but neither would he have wanted to coach them. Speculating on how he would have handled those guys is pointless especially considering how Pop will never coach those types of player in the long run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This!

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like pop i hated Rodman of the spurs. The team took abaxkseat to his antics. Got worse during the playoffs.

Rodman when at detroit was a beast that actually concentrated on bball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That gives PJ a leg up over Pop since he was able to coach Rodman to 3 championships.

Thread Information