Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biggest money maker for pro sport teams is TV money. Adding the 40th something TV market doesn't add value to the NFL deals.
    That I can get on board with, only thing that makes me hesitate to fully agree with you would be cities like Kansas City, Milwaukee possibly a few others that are lower than SA but have 2 major sports teams in smaller market ... I might be wrong didn't fact check those 2 cities I mentioned but cannot be a big difference..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who the measures city anything nowadays? What matters is metropolitan size and economy, not city. This isn't the 60s or 70s you ing sterile nitwit.

And just by any metric, you're still ing wrong and your lame ass comment belongs in the year 2002.
    I agree,
    SA is a lot smaller than people realize. Also not the wealthiest city.

San Antonio is the 31st largest TV market as assessed by Nielsen. This indirectly measures a combination metro size and economy. Not perfect, but I'm to lazy to look at Metropolitan statistical area and per capita income and such...

In looking st this only 4 cities below San Antonio has more than one Major professional team. With the exception of Milwaukee 3 have an NFL team and another. That makes some sense to me as NFL teams can clearly thrive in small markets due to their business model and people will travel a long distance to see the few games they have so they can operate based on regional appeal.
    I suspect there is something to SAs proximity to Dallas and Houston that does lessen the chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're about 7th in line to getting MLS. So it's not gonna happen. Cities like Sacramento, Cincinnati, Phoenix are all ahead of SA.

Let's face it. San Antonio is a ty city in terms of media and entertainment. We even get the ty concerts, most artists go to Austin. San Antonio will always be a second-tier city or lower.

Yes on the concerts. For anything good you have to go to Dallas or Houston. Jay Z, for example is hitting up those cities.

San Antonio is so awesome if you like to see old ass stuff like The Moody Blues WITHOUT the orchestra, or whats left of the Beach Boys. Even old ass bands like Foreigner perform in Austin, before SA. The venues suck.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our airport sucks when the media that covers SA can't even get direct flights here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a poor city, relatively speaking. Also Dallas and Houston have crowded out the field.

When does the season start?
    What I don't understand is why the house prices are so high even in the so-so neighborhoods (Castle Hills). In Phoenix you can pay 180k to get a resort like house built in the 90s with a pool. In SA you can't sniff that for less than 400

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple answer it doesn't have a top 20 metro population. That's the most important stat to look at when it comes to population.
    Correct. Same reason why San Jose only has a hockey () team and Columbus, OH has no sports teams while its smaller Ohio sister cities do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio more like a border town than a cosmopolitan US city. Spurs are all we deserve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the are you talking about? By most any measure San Antonio doesn't compare with many other cities economically. Franchises aren't ing begging to go there because it's a modest city that can only support one team. It's not rocket science.
    The same measures that show SA having a higher per capita income than Phoenix? A metro with all the major professional sports?

Right.. keep thinking you know what the you're talking about. You don't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio more like a border town than a cosmopolitan US city. Spurs are all we deserve.
    Go back to sucking for money under the freeway overapasses you uselsss troll.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phoenix metro population is 4.50 M. SA metro population is 2.45 M. I'd guess SA may have a bigger outlier population beyond that; but that doesn't mean so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That I can get on board with, only thing that makes me hesitate to fully agree with you would be cities like Kansas City, Milwaukee possibly a few others that are lower than SA but have 2 major sports teams in smaller market ... I might be wrong didn't fact check those 2 cities I mentioned but cannot be a big difference..
    KC and Milwaukee are both slightly ahead of SA.

but TV's are already turned on in SA for Cowboys any way. The NFL has no incentive to add a team here

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^

I've been to KC and Milwaukee. They are legit urban centers. Though, there are many empty and ran-down buildings in Milwaukee from what I saw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    S.A in a nuts .. if u take away the Spurs, we're El Paso with a Riverwalk. And if u take away the Spurs and the military bases, we're basically Laredo on steroids and with a riverwalk. I've been longing for a second pro franchise as well but we should be so greatful to at least have the Spurs.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    S.A in a nuts .. if u take away the Spurs, we're El Paso with a Riverwalk. And if u take away the Spurs and the military bases, we're basically Laredo on steroids and with a riverwalk. I've been longing for a second pro franchise as well but we should be so greatful to at least have the Spurs.
    Not too pretty. I do think that it's kind of cool to have a Spur-centric city without the distractions. Though, hopefully soccer there gains momentum and you get that second team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol no, it's not better this way.
    Would you rather a bunch of laker, warrior fans running around.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phoenix metro population is 4.50 M. SA metro population is 2.45 M. I'd guess SA may have a bigger outlier population beyond that; but that doesn't mean so much.
    At some point down the road... it will be the San Antonio - Austin Metroplex. With over 5 million people in the encompassed area (even if the city-proper figures are lower).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I live in El Paso and lived in San Antonio- you are mostly correct. There are more Mexicans here though. I think the population distribution is well over 80% Mexican in El Paso and 60% in Sanny Anny.
    I go to any Walmart on any given day over here and realize I'm the only non-Mexican person in the entire building many times.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At some point down the road... it will be the San Antonio - Austin Metroplex. With over 5 million people in the encompassed area (even if the city-proper figures are lower).
    Beyond football, most wouldn't be driving 90 miles with regularity to go to a game though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very Simple. build the stadium in between Austin and San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio is way better than Laredo. El paso. Yes, two thirds of the town is like a border town, but the rich parts of SA are richer than all the minor towns in Texas.

I mean y'all know sports are big time frauds right? The subsidies to the sports owners are in the millions. San Antonio is too smart to match the requirements for another big team. The NFL has peaked too, they will not be expanding again. Baseball is .

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very Simple. build the stadium in between Austin and San Antonio.
    For football, yes; but not necessary b/c it'll work in either locality.
    For hockey, yes; but why bother when you already have the AT&T Center.
    For baseball, no; people don't want to drive 45 miles, night after night.
    For soccer, maybe; but not likely that a fan base would be cultivated in a relatively remote region.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garbage talk. Who cares. SA isn't getting a pro team for years, at best and it all.

This is just fishin for a convo by someone lonely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You fat s have nothing better to talk about to talk about huh? Or are most of these usernames the same fat ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You fat s have nothing better to talk about to talk about huh? Or are most of these usernames the same fat ?
    I like to think I'm about slighter better than the average cat my age...
    Damn sexier too.

Thread Information