Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Wisconsin Assembly voted 59-30 on Thursday to approve a bill to give incentives worth $3 billion to Taiwan-based Foxconn so that the company would open its first U.S. plant in the state. Foxconn, best known for supplying parts of Apple's iPhones, will open the $10 billion liquid-crystal display plant in 2020, according to Reuters. The bill still has to be approved by a joint finance committee and the state Senate. Both houses of Wisconsin's legislature are controlled by Republicans, and the deal is supported by Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, a Republican who negotiated the deal. The vote was largely, but not entirely, along party lines. Three Democrats joined 56 Republicans in supporting the deal. Two Republicans and 28 Democrats voted against it. Opponents said the deal wasn't a good use of taxpayer funds. The $3 billion incentives package includes about $2.85 billion in cash payments from taxpayers and tax breaks valued at about $150 million. The state is also waiving certain environmental rules.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't imagine it being an outrage in an age when using tax payer funds to build a sports arena is commonplace. Let's hope FoxxConn doesn't decide the factory is dated every 20 years and threatens to move elsewhere. Any ideas on how many this will employ?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're going to be in for the shock of the century when they find out about OSHA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't imagine it being an outrage in an age when using tax payer funds to build a sports arena is commonplace. Let's hope FoxxConn doesn't decide the factory is dated every 20 years and threatens to move elsewhere. Any ideas on how many this will employ?
    Surely, they're not just handing over a $3B check. There's has got to be restrictions and all kinds of legal requirements to meet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First link mentions 3000 initial, 13000 projected... seems like a lot of dough for those numbers, IMO.

Personally, not an outrage, more like expected corporate welfare, tbh... nothing says 'free market' like market distortions like tax breaks and straight out payouts... but we already know that the swamp is alive and well...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surely, they're not just handing over a $3B check. There's has got to be restrictions and all kinds of legal requirements to meet.
    However, the full $3 billion in incentives only becomes available if Foxconn ends up creating 13,000 jobs. But there's no ironclad guarantee in the deal that Foxconn even meets its 3,000 job promise, so the opponents' "$1 million per job" argument could be true if the factory only ends up employing 1,500 people or fewer.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drain the swamp...

Sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drain the swamp...

Sure.
    Umm, ok. Don't know why you needed to quote my post to get that across, but sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you take $3 billion in incentives -- the amount cited in Sargent’s tweet -- and divide it by 3,000 jobs, you get $1 million per job.

But the $3 billion is the maximum -- to be paid only if Foxconn meets several requirements, including creating 13,000 jobs.

If fewer jobs are created, the incentives paid are less.

So, what is the cost per job?

What the per-job cost might be

The $3 billion -- up to $200 million per year for 15 years -- would amount to nearly 50 times the previous record paid by Wisconsin taxpayers,

when the state in 2010 offered $65 million in subsidies to keep Mercury Marine from moving a factory from Fond du Lac to Oklahoma.

The nonpartisan state Legislative Fiscal Bureau estimates it would take 25 years for taxpayers to recover the bulk of that --

the $2.85 billion the state would be paying Foxconn in cash.

(The other $150 million would be provided through a sales tax exemption.)

As for the per-job cost, we turned to an analysis by the Wisconsin Budget Project. The project is part of Kids Forward, formerly known as the Wisconsin Council on Children and Families, a left-leaning nonprofit.

The $2.85 billion in cash payments, according to the analysis, would amount to $219,000 per job if 13,000 jobs are created and $587,000 per job if 3,000 jobs are created.

An important note: As the analysis and Culpan noted, and as economist Timothy Bartik of the Upjohn Ins ute for Employment Research told us,

the more Foxconn gears its plant for robotics, the fewer jobs it will create -- and thus the per-job cost of the incentives will be higher.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/...rm-foxconn-1-/

several who follow Foxconn say that Foxconn rarely completes, or even starts, such deals.

WI being effectively Kockistan, Walker waived a bunch of environmental regs for the Foxconn deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Umm, ok. Don't know why you needed to quote my post to get that across, but sure.
    Dont play stupid.
    Alt. Trump man.
    Last edited by pgardn; 08-20-2017 at 08:12 AM.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Puttin' them jobs into that rust belt.

4 x 2=8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Puttin' them jobs into that rust belt.

4 x 2=8
    On your dime buster.

8-8 = 0

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    On your dime buster.

8-8 = 0
    Like Chooch said above.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like Chooch said above.
    Oh.

So it's ok.
    Gotcha.
    When people think Obama is going to hand out free phones you will kneel with your mouth taped shut.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Oh.

So it's ok.
    Gotcha.
    When people think Obama is going to hand out free phones you will kneel with your mouth taped shut.
    What's good for the goose is sauce for the gander.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's good for the goose is sauce for the gander.
    Many of the Sports stadiums are put to a public vote.
    Did the citizens of Wisconsin vote directly on this?
    So the comparison is weak.

Fact is you don't know what you want.
    Trump promised to create jobs by lifting restrictions on companies, not just giving them money.
    Free markets.... This is a Republican thing? Nahhhh.

Just admit your weak rationalizations are just that.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Many of the Sports stadiums are put to a public vote.
    Did the citizens of Wisconsin vote directly on this?
    So the comparison is weak.

Trump promised to create jobs by lifting restrictions on companies, not just giving them money.
    Free markets.... This is a Republican thing? Nahhhh.

& many are not.

He's putting those jobs into that rust belt.

4x2=8

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Foxconn has a facility in Dallas where no one spoke English on the floor for about 6 months. The everyday employees were brought over from Korea. I doubt Wisconsin will be any different. JOBS! MAGA!!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Foxconn has a facility in Dallas where no one spoke English on the floor for about 6 months. The everyday employees were brought over from Korea. I doubt Wisconsin will be any different. JOBS! MAGA!!
    Well , with you pullin' against it like this---it don't a Chinaman's chance, Lee.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well , with you pullin' against it like this---it don't a Chinaman's chance, Lee.
    This is how Foxconn operates, I'm not pulling either way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So...kinda like allowing illegals in the country to do the jobs "American's dont wanna do"? So, status quo is what you're saying?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont play stupid.
    Alt. Trump man.
    Mhmmm...whatever you got to say to keep you're place in "Us vs. Them". Thought you were a little smarter, but that horse flesh diet mustn't provide adequate nutrition.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And what you want is simple; so long the other side does it, you want it to crash and burn. It could be free healthcare for all with a bulletproof plan and you, and other simple minded "us vs. them" 1-way thinkers would still find a negative angle to play that some Liberal media outlet fed you.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    pg, how's that brand new asshole Chooch tore ya?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On your dime buster.

8-8 = 0
    I doubt cubby is part of the 47% tbh

Thread Information