San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nba jam and mortal kombat >>> Mario and duckhunt
    That's the NES you schmuck

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Genesis had the better Beavis and Butthead version and MK 1 version.

Streets of Rage was better than Final Fight, too.

Also thought Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was a great puzzler.

But, 9 times out of 10, it's the SNES.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Genesis had the better Beavis and Butthead version
    Was it worth playing or just better than the horrible SNES one?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SNES. It was close for the early to mid life cycles but the Genesis faded because Sega made like the 32x and the Sega CD.

Not too many games from the Genesis era that you'd put in the top 50 games of all-time, but SNES has quite a few.

That said, Sega beat Nintendo to the punch and that was worth a LOT. When the Genesis came out it was a ing bomb in the gaming industry. Nintendo only recovered because they were THE gaming company and their reputation carried them.

Genesis release:
    NA: August 14, 1989

SNES release:
    NA: August 23, 1991

Nintendo is very, very lucky Sega didn't have more money to spend or they would have completely decimated them before the SNES came out. But the SNES is honestly a top 5 console of all-time along with the NES, PS2, and Xbox 360.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was it worth playing or just better than the horrible SNES one?
    Definitely worth playing. Completely different developer. It was like an adventure-puzzle game. Way better than the boring platformer on the SNES and more true to the show.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SNES. It was close for the early to mid life cycles but the Genesis faded because Sega made like the 32x and the Sega CD.

Not too many games from the Genesis era that you'd put in the top 50 games of all-time, but SNES has quite a few.

That said, Sega beat Nintendo to the punch and that was worth a LOT. When the Genesis came out it was a ing bomb in the gaming industry. Nintendo only recovered because they were THE gaming company and their reputation carried them.

Genesis release:
    NA: August 14, 1989

SNES release:
    NA: August 23, 1991

Nintendo is very, very lucky Sega didn't have more money to spend or they would have completely decimated them before the SNES came out. But the SNES is honestly a top 5 console of all-time along with the NES, PS2, and Xbox 360.
    Wrong, Genesis never faded, Sega CD was an add on and the 32x was a different console and they failed because people was still playing the Genesis.
    The first Playstation came in December ´94 and the Genesis kept making games until the end of ´96, things like X-Perts, Ultimate MK3, Vectorman 2 and Sonic 3d Blast.

About the Genesis in top 50 games of all time, thats subjective but I really think the opposite since Sega had a huge library with Arcade games with all their IP´s, Nintendo dont.
    Sega was open to mature games and Nintendo was more a kiddie console, cant think on a lot of unique games either, Yoshi´s Island 2, DKC´s Punch out S Metroid, what else?

Genesis had Ecco the Dolphin, Shinobis, Splatterhouse 3, Sonics, Streets of Rage series, General Chaos, Gunstar Heroes, Polterguy, Evander Holyfield Boxing, Contra Hard Corps, Aladdin is a vastly superior version than the SNES, Shining Force, Rolling Thunders, Virtua Racing, Toe Jam & Earl, The best 16 bit DBZ, Rocket Knight, The Adventures of Batman & Robin is worlds apart from the SNES game, Vectorman, Alien Soldier, Road Rash games, Monaco GP, Castlevania Bloodlines, X-Men exclusives.

And all the Sega arcade ports, so as I said is a subjective thing, but Genesis had lot of great games during that era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cant think on a lot of unique games either, Yoshi´s Island 2, DKC´s Punch out S Metroid, what else?
    Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, F-Zero, Earthbound, Actraiser, Starfox, Uniracers, Zelda A Link to the Past were all pretty unique

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Castlevania Bloodlines
    It's a great game, but I'll take Super Castlevania IV over it any day. Now N64's Castlevania was complete dog .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But the SNES is honestly a top 5 console of all-time along with the NES, PS2, and Xbox 360.
    I think PS3 and PS4 both beat the 360, and crush it if you like Japanese games. The 360 was amazing early in the generation when the PS3 was overpriced and didn't have games, but by the time Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls came out the PS3 overtook it IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nintendo is very, very lucky Sega didn't have more money to spend
    Everyone was. Could you imagine the Dreamcast if they would have included a DVD player? That could have been the GOAT console then (though I hated the controller). Man Sony was smart to make the PS1 a CD player, PS2 a DVD player, and PS3 a Blu Ray player. The first two were no brainer buys at the time and the third was pretty compelling since even at $600 for the 20GB it was still the cheapest Blu Ray player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm very disappointed with my XBox1.

I almost hate it, tbh. Why the am I waiting 30 minutes to load a game from a disc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, F-Zero, Earthbound, Actraiser, Starfox, Uniracers, Zelda A Link to the Past were all pretty unique
    You ever play Pilot Wings? I can't say that it was in the level as the top games but it was pretty cool

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a great game, but I'll take Super Castlevania IV over it any day. Now N64's Castlevania was complete dog .
    yeah the 64 version was really, really bad. i was waiting for that to come out, and some of the jumping made me lose my mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm very disappointed with my XBox1.

I almost hate it, tbh. Why the am I waiting 30 minutes to load a game from a disc
    Are you talking about installing? Same on the PS4. Reading 50GB from an optical drive then downloading and installing patches is slow AF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, those were unique games, but my listed genesis games showed the system had memorable games too.
    I really hated SMario World, nowhere near any other Mario game.
    Contra III is good too, I like better Hard Corps.

Those 2 consoles shared a lot of multi platform ports, but I like Sega more because Im into arcades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That N64 version in the pirate ship? lol thats fugly ugly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone was. Could you imagine the Dreamcast if they would have included a DVD player? That could have been the GOAT console then (though I hated the controller). Man Sony was smart to make the PS1 a CD player, PS2 a DVD player, and PS3 a Blu Ray player. The first two were no brainer buys at the time and the third was pretty compelling since even at $600 for the 20GB it was still the cheapest Blu Ray player.
    Problem was Sega made very stupid decisions and had money to afford 3 epic failures, first the Sega CD, then the 32x which was released at the same time... people was confused also kids cant buy 2 consoles its like money growing from trees, then the Saturn because the PS1 was such a success.

By the time the Dreamcast failed they had enough damage, it was a nice console, best GPU and colors than the PS2 but the CD was a bad choice, and the controls too...
    Also third party developers jumped on the PS2 bandwagon, Sega just had Capcom and a bag of doritos.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem was Sega made very stupid decisions and had money to afford 3 epic failures, first the Sega CD, then the 32x which was released at the same time... people was confused also kids cant buy 2 consoles its like money growing from trees, then the Saturn because the PS1 was such a success.

By the time the Dreamcast failed they had enough damage, it was a nice console, best GPU and colors than the PS2 but the CD was a bad choice, and the controls too...
    Also third party developers jumped on the PS2 bandwagon, Sega just had Capcom and a bag of doritos.
    Ah man when I look back at the Genesis and Dreamcast it sucks so much not having Sega in the console business any more. They really screwed themselves with Sega CD and 32X. Retailers got sick of carrying their after three flops in a row (factoring in the Saturn) and hence the absolutely legendary Dreamcast sold like crap. You go back and play those games now and Dreamcast demolishes PS1 and has aged much better than PS2. I loved Dreamcast since you got the first really good console version of Daytona USA on it. The Saturn port was terrible. And then Dreamcast's port of Soul Calibur. Then the NBA 2k games back when they were Sega exclusives. Now I want to go buy Sonic Mania after all this Sega talk, it really looks amazing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man I can't believe Sega never put out the original Shinobi arcade on Genesis. Had they done that I would have for sure picked Genesis over SNES. That to me was the GOAT arcade game. I played that game constantly on my computer once System16 emulation got good in the late 90s.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Man I can't believe Sega never put out the original Shinobi arcade on Genesis. Had they done that I would have for sure picked Genesis over SNES. That to me was the GOAT arcade game. I played that game constantly on my computer once System16 emulation got good in the late 90s.
    I saved enough money to have both the Genesis and SNES and they both had their plus moments. But that Shinobi was always one of my go-to at the arcades. Loved that game at the local Strawhat Piza joint (local chain) and loved that game for how many quarters spent. That and SFII (Turbo Edition) and MKII took a good swath of my future college savings .

Thread Information