My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SNES

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Genesis had some truly great games like the Sonic series, the Golden Axe series, the Shinobi series, Comix Zone, Strider, the Streets of Rage series, Vectorman, I mean there was some really classic on the Genesis. But the SNES had monster RPGs in Zelda: A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II and III (really IV and VI), Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, and Shadowrun that Genesis couldn't touch. SNES has probably three of the five greatest sidescroller platformers of all time in Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and Super Castlevania IV (by far the GOAT Castlevania IMO, as much as I love Symphony of the Night). Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 looked so far ahead of their time, I could not believe the first time I played Donkey Kong Country. I had never seen a game that looked that good even in arcades. Then there was Actraiser which was a top notch side scrolling action game plus city builder, it had to be one of the most creative games I have ever played. F-Zero is probably still my favorite driving game of all time. Such great tight control and the music was incredible. And SNES had my second favorite racing game of all time too in Uniracers. I imagine it's a really expensive game now since it got pulled off store shelves after the developer lost a lawsuit to Pixar, but such awesome split screen fun when racing someone else. Oh well, the Uniracers dev DMA Design turned out alright in the end, as they're now known as Rockstar North.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Genesis had some truly great games like the Sonic series, the Golden Axe series, the Shinobi series, Comix Zone, Strider, the Streets of Rage series, Vectorman, I mean there was some really classic on the Genesis. But the SNES had monster RPGs in Zelda: A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II and III (really IV and VI), Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, and Shadowrun that Genesis couldn't touch. SNES has probably three of the five greatest sidescroller platformers of all time in Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and Super Castlevania IV (by far the GOAT Castlevania IMO, as much as I love Symphony of the Night). Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 looked so far ahead of their time, I could not believe the first time I played Donkey Kong Country. I had never seen a game that looked that good even in arcades. Then there was Actraiser which was a top notch side scrolling action game plus city builder, it had to be one of the most creative games I have ever played. F-Zero is probably still my favorite driving game of all time. Such great tight control and the music was incredible. And SNES had my second favorite racing game of all time too in Uniracers. I imagine it's a really expensive game now since it got pulled off store shelves after the developer lost a lawsuit to Pixar, but such awesome split screen fun when racing someone else. Oh well, the Uniracers dev DMA Design turned out alright in the end, as they're now known as Rockstar North.
    FZero was amazing. And the soundtrack was perfect to ramp up the tension.

I'll throw Contra 3 in there as a great game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    only played SNES....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nec PC Engine

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Can't forget the snes controller was the best of all time. games like DK impressed me with the sound, Genesis really had nothing going on besides sonic. Play golden axe today and it sucks. I played the out of mario kart also super off road and NBA jam, although i imagine the ports were simiiar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't forget the snes controller was the best of all time. games like DK impressed me with the sound, Genesis really had nothing going on besides sonic. Play golden axe today and it sucks. I played the out of mario kart also super off road and NBA jam, although i imagine the ports were simiiar.
    I agree 100% on the controllers. The SNES controller looked weird as when I first saw it but it became pretty intuitive to use. The Genesis 6-button was a mess to use. I gotta disagree on Golden Axe though, I think that series has held up really well and I still love playing it on MAME. I still like playing those kind of side scrolling beat em ups. There are some modern ones that are excellent, like Mother Russia Bleeds and Dragon's Crown (though the latter is a side scrolling beat 'em up RPG). SNES just murdered Genesis on sound. Super Mario World with the echoes when you were underground was pretty mindblowing for the time. The only game I can think of that sounded better on Genesis than SNES was Earthworm Jim 1; for some reason that soundtrack really worked on the Genesis crappy sound hardware and sounded too clean on the SNES.

I think the SNES is the console that has aged best and it's not even close. It was perfection for 2D sprite graphics and the sound hardware was capable of playing some amazing soundtracks. About the only SNES classic I can think of that looks like crap now in 2017 is Starfox. The console that aged worst has to be N64. I think the only N64 game I have played in the last ten years and enjoyed was Conker's Bad Fur Day. Ocarina of Time sucks to play now with that boxy 3D at twenty frames per second. That game so badly needs a remaster, not even to change the art style or graphics, but just to have it play smoothly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree 100% on the controllers. The SNES controller looked weird as when I first saw it but it became pretty intuitive to use. The Genesis 6-button was a mess to use. I gotta disagree on Golden Axe though, I think that series has held up really well and I still love playing it on MAME. I still like playing those kind of side scrolling beat em ups. There are some modern ones that are excellent, like Mother Russia Bleeds and Dragon's Crown (though the latter is a side scrolling beat 'em up RPG). SNES just murdered Genesis on sound. Super Mario World with the echoes when you were underground was pretty mindblowing for the time. The only game I can think of that sounded better on Genesis than SNES was Earthworm Jim 1; for some reason that soundtrack really worked on the Genesis crappy sound hardware and sounded too clean on the SNES.

I think the SNES is the console that has aged best and it's not even close. It was perfection for 2D sprite graphics and the sound hardware was capable of playing some amazing soundtracks. About the only SNES classic I can think of that looks like crap now in 2017 is Starfox. The console that aged worst has to be N64. I think the only N64 game I have played in the last ten years and enjoyed was Conker's Bad Fur Day. Ocarina of Time sucks to play now with that boxy 3D at twenty frames per second. That game so badly needs a remaster, not even to change the art style or graphics, but just to have it play smoothly.
    I would think the N64 Starfox would still be great today.

I'd also really like to play Smash TV again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Genesis had superior RPG's imo

Phantasy Star 1,2,3,4 (2 is off the chain!)

Shadowrun

Shining Force 1 & 2

Out of this World and Flashback were amazing games. Star Control was way ahead of its time.

Game Gear was superior to Gameboy. Sega's graphics were more vibrant and the fps was so smooth. Sega had superior fighter games as well. Mortal Kombat has blood. I enjoyed both systems, but it was much more fun to rent Sega games because the quality was always there no matter what genre. They ed up in the long run with Sega CD etc... but they had a damn good run like WCW.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and Shadowrun that Genesis couldn't touch
    Fake news!

I should read the whole thread before posting imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snes was superior to the genesis in every way. Not saying the genesis didn't have standouts, but one was a Mercedes, the other was a Honda. Hondas are great cars, but you cant compare them to a Mercedes.

For me, what stood out the most were the color pallettes. Snes was like 32k while Sega was around 500? This made a huge difference is graphics detail.

That, and the sound. It seemed like Nintendo was able to cram better music / sound, samples, and far better actual human voices.

I remember trading my genesis for a snes with a schoolmate over Christmas vacation. I had never played an snes. The first game I popped in was super empire strikes back. As soon as the music started and Yoda said, "do or do not there is not try" I was blown away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Genesis had superior RPG's imo

Phantasy Star 1,2,3,4 (2 is off the chain!)

Shadowrun

Shining Force 1 & 2
    Not even close man. Chrono Trigger alone wins RPGs for the SNES. So does Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy II. SNES is the GOAT console for RPGs.

Game Gear was superior to Gameboy. Sega's graphics were more vibrant and the fps was so smooth.
    No it wasn't.

The Game Gear screen had some of the worst ghosting I have ever seen. Gameboy wins strictly on Tetris. As crap as the original Gameboy's green screen was, Nintendo knows how to make games that work well on portables. They're the only company to ever be successful with handhelds. Game Gear, Nomad, Lynx, PS Vita have all been colossal failures and PSP was crap too IMO (I gave mine away two months after buying it). Nintendo is the only company I'd ever buy a handheld from again.

Sega had superior fighter games as well. Mortal Kombat has blood. I enjoyed both systems, but it was much more fun to rent Sega games because the quality was always there no matter what genre. They ed up in the long run with Sega CD etc... but they had a damn good run like WCW.
    You win on MK1, but that game was crap anyways. MK II controlled so much better than MK 1 and the SNES murdered Genesis on sound in that game. How was the Genesis better for fighting games? I guess Sega wins based on having Virtua Fighter, but otherwise the lineup was pretty much the same wasn't it? Not counting the crap games like Clay Fighter or Primal Rage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snes was superior to the genesis in every way. Not saying the genesis didn't have standouts, but one was a Mercedes, the other was a Honda. Hondas are great cars, but you cant compare them to a Mercedes.

For me, what stood out the most were the color pallettes. Snes was like 32k while Sega was around 500? This made a huge difference is graphics detail.

That, and the sound. It seemed like Nintendo was able to cram better music / sound, samples, and far better actual human voices.

I remember trading my genesis for a snes with a schoolmate over Christmas vacation. I had never played an snes. The first game I popped in was super empire strikes back. As soon as the music started and Yoda said, "do or do not there is not try" I was blown away.
    I think Genesis was better than a Honda though. Maybe an Acura. (yeah I know, Acura is just half luxury Honda)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fake news!

I should read the whole thread before posting imo.
    Man Shadowrun on SNES is a hidden gem.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA Jam was best on Genesis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never owned a Genesis, but played on one a pretty good amount with a friend. It had its share of great games, but the SNES is just a timeless machine as far as 2D gaming goes. There are so many games I could play start to finish even today and have a blast without them feeling dated or cheesy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never owned a Genesis, but played on one a pretty good amount with a friend. It had its share of great games, but the SNES is just a timeless machine as far as 2D gaming goes. There are so many games I could play start to finish even today and have a blast without them feeling dated or cheesy.
    Off the top of my head that system had Super Mario World, Zelda A Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II & III, F-Zero, ActRaiser, Mario Kart, Super Castlevania IV, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Metroid, Mortal Kombat II & 3, Super Mario RPG, Uniracers, Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, Earthworm Jim 1 & 2, NBA Jam, Ghouls and Ghosts, I mean what a killer library.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crap, I forgot Mega Man X on that list. Man that game was great too.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A friend gave me one in college, we would just smoke out and play it. I only had SNES growing up though. SNES is definitely better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Genesis was better than a Honda though. Maybe an Acura. (yeah I know, Acura is just half luxury Honda)
    Hey...I love my Honda! but yeah you're probably right.

The difference was so obvious when you compared the same games on both systems. It wasn't like the minor differences between Xbox and PS4, it was two different levels of game. Although, Aladdin on the genesis was a beautiful, smooth "cartoon" looking game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Genesis, the SNES has better colors on lots of games, but is all about better games and thats the Genesis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both awesome, but I liked the SNES more..

Genesis didn't look or sound as good, but they had more mature les, and usually the better version of dual platform les even though it wasn't as powerful. SEGA sports les were the , but SNES had the good 1st party les..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember playing Alladin, Lion King, Jurassic Park, Robocop vs Terminator, and X-Men on both platforms and wondering why the SNES always had the ty piece of crap version..

Thread Information