Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when Ime told LMA Spurs/Pop didnt want him to average just 17 ppg? Didn't want change him? I wonder if that meant "play Center" "forget of your annoying long-two... "

So I was like, ‘Maybe I’m not a Spur, because I’ve been averaging 23 (points per game) for the last three to four years, and maybe I don’t fit into y’all’s system of ‘let’s all average 17 (points per game).’ And he was like, ‘No, we’re not trying to change who you are and make you average 16 or 17. We want you to be you, because you’re going to help us be better and vice versa.’
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...land-aldridge/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until he votes for Trump.
    Yes trump would make him miss shots
    Just like pop licking clintons s make him a good or bad coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes trump would make him miss shots
    Just like pop licking clintons s make him a good or bad coach
    No dumbass. I'm saying Rudy gay is a "Spur for life" until he votes for Trump and Pop cuts him loose, like Dedmon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What jumped out to me was he said if he wa a starter then he wanted to be the best SF he could be. With Kawhi being our starting SF I wonder did mean that we'd actually be playing two SF's if he starts. Technically if he plays with Kawhi he'd need to be a small ball 4.
    Good observation. Perhaps Danny is going to the bench Or he was just incoherent. His Spurs for life comment makes the interview kind of suspect. Did he have a few glasses of wine with Pop b4 that interview?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we give this guys a lifetime achievement contract-extension, tbh?

Sure...
    hmmm Spurs standing pat next offseason too except maybe some young players moving on. Every season for the past 3 years I hope they add a star guard but they don't. Next season maybe. Otherwise it already looks like standing pat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when Ime told LMA Spurs/Pop didnt want him to average just 17 ppg? Didn't want change him? I wonder if that meant "play Center" "forget of your annoying long-two... "

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...land-aldridge/
    Funny how dismissive he was of averaging 17 like that was bad or nothing. Gasol's original signing seemed suspect to me at the time. He is an offensive skilled big and would inevitably take shots from LMA and that he did. It might have influenced him going to the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said that at some point he accepted the new role but also said things changed after he saw how other stars had success and even kept their numbers on more talented rosters.

I guess in his mind he thought those players didnt have to sacrifice that much to win.

I'm not talking about him as a player because I have always been critical of his game and playoffs performances, I'm just trying to know how he was dealing with this situation, trying to figure out what happened to him in two years in SA.
    Those other players haven't won, other than KD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hmmm Spurs standing pat next offseason too except maybe some young players moving on. Every season for the past 3 years I hope they add a star guard but they don't. Next season maybe. Otherwise it already looks like standing pat.
    They will continue doing this until Pop retires and the "playoff streak" ends. The smaller market and lack of direct flights to SA means they aren't going to suddenly become the desired destination of big names. They just have to make hay while the sun is shining.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They will continue doing this until Pop retires and the "playoff streak" ends. The smaller market and lack of direct flights to SA means they aren't going to suddenly become the desired destination of big names. They just have to make hay while the sun is shining.
    I agree. A gal can hope. Might be no different than hoping one of their recent guards turns into a good enough player to not have to pursue a guard in FA... again, I can hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we give this guys a lifetime achievement contract-extension, tbh?

Sure...
    Not until he sweeps Lebron as FMVP, carries us to another le, and becomes the winningest player ever in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's already over himself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't Aldridge say a lot of the same type of things when he was first signed (Spur for life, love the Spurs way, etc)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "If I’m a 6th man, I’m going to be the best 6th man in the league. If I’m a starter, I’m going to try and be one of the best SF's in the league. Why wouldn’t I have something to prove? It’s the Spurs & it’s a championship mentality. I’m a Spur & I’m a Spur for life.”

Read more: http://www.expressnews.com/sports/ar...witter-premium
    My read into this is that he is going to play SF with Leonard moving to SG for more minutes, not PF like many suggest. Green will be a situational defensive replacement. Manu will play more PG minutes, or inserted to give the tam a shot of energy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My read into this is that he is going to play SF with Leonard moving to SG for more minutes, not PF like many suggest. Green will be a situational defensive replacement. Manu will play more PG minutes, or inserted to give the tam a shot of energy.
    You could be right, but I personally don't see Green losing a lot of minutes. Pop loves his defense, and he also stretches the floor for Kawhi and Aldridge.

I think we will see lots of line ups with Green/Kawhi/Gay/LMA, with Rudy and Kawhi pretty much being interchangeable at the 3/4. They can both play each spot against most lineups, especially with the smaller, faster lineups that we have to worry about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it could be a Duncan-like thing where Gay plays the four but calls himself a three for no reason whatsoever. Kawhi can obviously play the two, but Gay coming off injury, Aldridge and Gasol makes for a very shaky front court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it could be a Duncan-like thing where Gay plays the four but calls himself a three for no reason whatsoever. Kawhi can obviously play the two, but Gay coming off injury, Aldridge and Gasol makes for a very shaky front court.
    It's not just the abilities of the 3 combined, it's also that they just didn't sign enough traditional bigs to play big as much as they did last season. It's speculation but they lost 3 rotation players and among them 2 bigs. They must aim to play a lot more "small" and that's even counting Davis as a big which he was last season.

It could be a misnomer which doesn't have any significance. Even with that misnomer ignored it sounds like they sold him in a variety of lineups and possibilities clearly including some bench minutes or he wouldn't have mentioned it. But it sure doesn't sound like he knows for sure where he will fit best which to me makes perfect sense (for the player it can be fuzzy but Pop ought to know how he intends to play). It also makes me wonder if there's legit compe ion for him to not start or that's just a misnomer too.

I think he went to lunch with Pop and had a few too many wines.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The offseason is funny with everyone taking anything that is said and trying to turn it into some major story.

Sounds like the dude is being smart. He had a serious injury and there are a lot of questions regarding his health and future. Spurs signed him to a deal and are giving him a shot and he's coming out and saying that is he is stoked on the opportunity, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I'm not looking much into what he said about the 3 position or the 6th man role. The Spurs have a history of moving starting caliber players into the 6th man role (Manu, Gasol, RJ). Seems he is just saying he is comfortable doing whatever he is going to be asked to do b/c he wants to win.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was specifically asked about playing the 4, not sure why that part wasn't mentioned in the article:

Starting at 2:30:

How much 4 have you played in your career?

I played a lot, in the USAB (national team), tinkered with it in the NBA a couple of times. Not just with George Karl but before that. I think the way basketball is going now is positionless basketball. I just want to go out there and be myself and if that's playing the 4 or being at the 4, it is what it is.
    Sounds good to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see Pop starting Gasol and LMA for two reasons:
    Gasol got paid handsomely, Pop ought to maximize his production specially for the minutes he will play if they are carefully managed.
    2. The second reason would be to appease Aldridge and his not wanting to be a center game. He would still play center some but not entire games obviously and starting Gasol preserves the appearance that LMA is mostly a P

It would still mean Rudy playing a lot of minutes if physically he can handle it etc. He may play some st the 3 both backing up Kawhi at times, and to close games with a Kawhi at the two.
    The uncertainties with the guards rotation also factors in for him I think. To start the season the SL may need more help than the bench.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...and he also stretches the floor for Kawhi and Aldridge.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unlike West and Lee, I thought all along that Gay could be a semi long term addition, but saying you're a (insert team) for life before playing a game is a strange statement.

It's not just the abilities of the 3 combined, it's also that they just didn't sign enough traditional bigs to play big as much as they did last season. It's speculation but they lost 3 rotation players and among them 2 bigs. They must aim to play a lot more "small" and that's even counting Davis as a big which he was last season.

1. Gasol got paid handsomely, Pop ought to maximize his production specially for the minutes he will play if they are carefully managed.
    2. The second reason would be to appease Aldridge and his not wanting to be a center game. He would still play center some but not entire games obviously and starting Gasol preserves the appearance that LMA is mostly a PF.

Sometimes it has to do with physical toll, but mostly players don't want to move up a position because they view it as a shot at their skill level (obviously an outdated mindset). In Duncan's case, he never actually complained about playing C so much as he just didn't want to be referred to as such.

He may play some st the 3 both backing up Kawhi at times, and to close games with a Kawhi at the two.
    For about a half decade now, teams have generally prioritized 3-point shooting and defensive versatility when it comes to closing close games and those two things describe Green in a nuts . He's a lock to continue to generally close tight games and when he doesn't, it'll be Ginobili in his stead; not Leonard sliding down and them playing a huge lineup. Gay will likely generally close tight games too, but as a PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unlike West and Lee, I thought all along that Gay could be a semi long term addition, but saying you're a (insert team) for life before playing a game is a strange statement.

Sometimes it has to do with physical toll, but mostly players don't want to move up a position because they view it as a shot at their skill level (obviously an outdated mindset). In Duncan's case, he never actually complained about playing C so much as he just didn't want to be referred to as such.

For about a half decade now, teams have generally prioritized 3-point shooting and defensive versatility when it comes to closing close games and those two things describe Green in a nuts . He's a lock to continue to generally close tight games and when he doesn't, it'll be Ginobili in his stead; not Leonard sliding down and them playing a huge lineup. Gay will likely generally close tight games too, but as a PF.
    It's SA girl boytoy that's losing potential relevant minutes here.

I thought before the Gay aquistion, Anderson had an opportunity to possibly prove himself in pre-season and early season as a legetimate 4..

With Gay, I am even more convinced now that they're changing the offensive structure something I said even before the start of the playoffs last year. The spurs just don't make significant structural changes like that without time to prepare, but the playffs and the second half of the season proved how effective the spurs were playing a stretch player. It doesn't even matter if Anderson was neccwarily a stretch, it's just the fact that he'd be less prone to getting killed in the PnR and is a bigger threat in the drive.

I suspect they were already tempted to make big changes even during the season last year but they opted to play stretch players only in stretches but they def played more stretch ball in the second half of the season and certainly the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only worry I have about this new offense and I am positive the Spurs are going to tweak their offense..The Spurs don't have enough ball handlers. How are you going to offensively take full of advantage of a stretch offense without a serious number of ball handlers or at the very least playmakers?

Another reason why I strongly belief we will be seeing a signficant increase in kawhi handling the ball more because we know he's the only legtimate attacker right now..Maybe Murray...but still

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only worry I have about this new offense and I am positive the Spurs are going to tweak their offense..The Spurs don't have enough ball handlers. How are you going to offensively take full of advantage of a stretch offense without a serious number of ball handlers or at the very least playmakers?

Another reason why I strongly belief we will be seeing a signficant increase in kawhi handling the ball more because we know he's the only legtimate attacker right now..Maybe Murray...but still
    You're right here, imo.

This is why Kawhi's chance of winning MVP have gone up substantially this year. The league is in a place now where versatile, 3point shooting, ball-handlers win you games. Kawhi, a one-legged Tony, and a 40 year old Manu are the only players we have that more or less fit that mold.

The only reason this poorly constructed Spurs team won't be a middle of the pack fringe playoff team is because Kawhi will be handling the ball, dominating on offense on one end, and dominating the other on defense. He IS the Spurs now.

Thread Information