Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think gay going to be able to help more than we anticpate. If he can still attack the rim of the catch as good as he did before injury, he's going to be extremelty valuable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think gay going to be able to help more than we anticpate. If he can still attack the rim of the catch as good as he did before injury, he's going to be extremelty valuable
    No doubt. I'm really hoping this can be one of the rare instances where a guy bounces back from an achilles injury. The Spurs need a healthy Rudy, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see Pop starting Gasol and LMA for two reasons:
    Gasol got paid handsomely, Pop ought to maximize his production specially for the minutes he will play if they are carefully managed.
    2. The second reason would be to appease Aldridge and his not wanting to be a center game. He would still play center some but not entire games obviously and starting Gasol preserves the appearance that LMA is mostly a P

It would still mean Rudy playing a lot of minutes if physically he can handle it etc. He may play some st the 3 both backing up Kawhi at times, and to close games with a Kawhi at the two.
    The uncertainties with the guards rotation also factors in for him I think. To start the season the SL may need more help than the bench.
    U remember that story that came out about Pop/LMA meeting at restaurant and LMA leaving the meeting looking "unhappy"? I know there was lots of speculation on that. I wonder if it was to let him know he'd have to play more 5, especially since RC mentioned they had a lot of interest in Gay early.

I personally like Pau off the bench more, I feel like he'd get to work in the post more, and hopefully continue that hot 3 point shooting. He'd be a mismatch for many opposing 2nd units

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only worry I have about this new offense and I am positive the Spurs are going to tweak their offense..The Spurs don't have enough ball handlers. How are you going to offensively take full of advantage of a stretch offense without a serious number of ball handlers or at the very least playmakers?

Another reason why I strongly belief we will be seeing a signficant increase in kawhi handling the ball more because we know he's the only legtimate attacker right now..Maybe Murray...but still
    Well they certainly drafted guards 2 seasons in a row and have added others undrafted. At least they are looking. That still supports your theory which I think is sound.. Tony is allegedly ahead of schedule so it will be interesting to see how he's playing too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not gonna lie though, Gay has always been a tough player to coach. Lots of bad tendencies offensively, even as a kings with Cousins as a clear cut number one player. We will see though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like a good place to start. Rudy could add a lot to the team on both ends.
    He is a highly skilled offensive player. I have seen him play live several times and Kawhi has had difficulty stopping him.
    This will put extra pressure on defenses and mean that KD and Klay each have to play some D. It is basically like having 2 Tracy McGadys with Kawhi and Gay. It's tough enough to stop 1 of them.
    I hope Gay is healthy and adjusts to the Spurs way relatively quickly. Could be the sleeper move of the summer.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe , Rudy Gay sees this as his only chance to have a shot at a ring, while being able to contribute significantly. Sure he could have signed for the minimum with Golden State, Cleveland and even Houston but all would be at the minimum and he would be 4th option at best, with very limited minutes. Also, nobody was knocking at the door for his services. Maybe he is humble and hungry and wants to reward the Spurs for believing in him, and he sees himself as the #2 over LMA, that Kawhi needs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also Gay for life tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better learn to get fouled on jumpers and 3s. AKA pro basketball's number 1 strategy.
    Mookie, how stoked are you for Saturday night's game???

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was specifically asked about playing the 4, not sure why that part wasn't mentioned in the article:

Starting at 2:30:

Sounds good to me.
    And there we have it!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And there we have it!
    Virtually proclaimed what i have been saying to you bums for years, there isnt positions anymore

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's SA girl boytoy that's losing potential relevant minutes here.

I thought before the Gay aquistion, Anderson had an opportunity to possibly prove himself in pre-season and early season as a legetimate 4..

With Gay, I am even more convinced now that they're changing the offensive structure something I said even before the start of the playoffs last year. The spurs just don't make significant structural changes like that without time to prepare, but the playffs and the second half of the season proved how effective the spurs were playing a stretch player. It doesn't even matter if Anderson was neccwarily a stretch, it's just the fact that he'd be less prone to getting killed in the PnR and is a bigger threat in the drive.

I suspect they were already tempted to make big changes even during the season last year but they opted to play stretch players only in stretches but they def played more stretch ball in the second half of the season and certainly the playoffs

The only worry I have about this new offense and I am positive the Spurs are going to tweak their offense..The Spurs don't have enough ball handlers. How are you going to offensively take full of advantage of a stretch offense without a serious number of ball handlers or at the very least playmakers?

Another reason why I strongly belief we will be seeing a signficant increase in kawhi handling the ball more because we know he's the only legtimate attacker right now..Maybe Murray...but still
    Gay and Anderson will likely be the backup forward duo and the only way to be able to differentiate between the SF and PF will be who they defend. The days of him pairing with a traditional PF and playing in cramped spacing are over.

I don't think it was about lack or preparation so much as personnel. Reality was, 4 of their top 9 were bigs the past 2 seasons and for better or worse, you ultimately have to play your best players.

Spurs probably have the most ball handlers in the league, but they're all basically secondary types and almost none are play makers. Agree that Leonard likely handles more, especially if Murray falters, Mills starts and Forbes/White backs up, but they'll essentially play PG by committee. The offense could be better, but their lack of certified star power is doomed to be exposed in the playoffs.

No doubt. I'm really hoping this can be one of the rare instances where a guy bounces back from an achilles injury. The Spurs need a healthy Rudy, tbh.
    He's probably got as good a chance as possible. He'll have been 9 months removed by the time the season starts, is 6'9'' and won't have a heavy burden on either side of the ball.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it was about lack or preparation so much as personnel. Reality was, 4 of their top 9 were bigs the past 2 seasons and for better or worse, you ultimately have to play your best players.
    So the best way to not play 4 bigs is only have 3 on the roster, right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it seems like Rudy is really looking forward to this upcoming season, cant wait to see what hes got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until he votes for Trump.
    Something tells me that won't be an issue tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    am i the only one thinking ....

Yeah...u are

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    am i the only one thinking ....

Yeah. Probably the only one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's SA girl boytoy that's losing potential relevant minutes here.

I thought before the Gay aquistion, Anderson had an opportunity to possibly prove himself in pre-season and early season as a legetimate 4..

With Gay, I am even more convinced now that they're changing the offensive structure something I said even before the start of the playoffs last year. The spurs just don't make significant structural changes like that without time to prepare, but the playffs and the second half of the season proved how effective the spurs were playing a stretch player. It doesn't even matter if Anderson was neccwarily a stretch, it's just the fact that he'd be less prone to getting killed in the PnR and is a bigger threat in the drive.

I suspect they were already tempted to make big changes even during the season last year but they opted to play stretch players only in stretches but they def played more stretch ball in the second half of the season and certainly the playoffs.
    Sir Apalisoc, do you then see more of Gay, Anderson and Bertans in the stretch four position? Coz that would explain the lack of bigs.....just a guess today

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Stretch Four, Gay, Anderson, Bertans

Then Center, Lamarcus, Gasol, Joffrey

..???

Thoughts guys?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way, can we get Wade?

Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

..???

Thoughts guys?
    I think that's the hope and the only thing that makes much sense. LMA and Gasol might start, but I can't see a scenario where we don't play LMA at the 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

..???

Thoughts guys?
    yes, I think so, but Gay, Anderson and Bertans may also play the 3 or next to each other, specially the first two who can handle the basketball. Bertans is more of an off the ball player but can play next to the other two if needed. That's important if the rookies aren't able to give consistent enough good play.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's nice to see a player who wants to be here and is ready to play any where he is needed.
    I hope it works out because we need him to come thru for us.

Thread Information