Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't say I disagree with this. If the team tries to stick Forbes into a Neal type of role...good god.

I like the kid and he had a good summer league showing, but unless he can shoot 60% from the field...he is far too limited everywhere else.
    Limited skillset, too small and slow to defend anyone, and no toughness - people want to say he's "fearless" but, the moment things got physical, he wilted (in a Summer League game no less...).

Forbes sucks. I've said it before and I'll say it again that the Spurs like the kid and are just doing right by him keeping him around. However, he has no future with this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think this article is suggesting the Spurs got rid of Lee because of Bertans. It's suggesting that Bertans "may have made Lee expendable" but it's only the writer's speculation and not pretending to be PATFO's thinking. Lee opted out because he thought he could get more money. I hope something happens for him. He worked hard for us and I'm guessing he was a good teammate. When people opt out they are gambling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What mean expendable?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More like Lauvergne's signing made Lee expendable. Davis is a stretch four who retired Bonner

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything made Lee expendable, it was a serious injury at an advanced age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything made Lee expendable, it was a serious injury at an advanced age.
    But Porkers at 15 mil a year isn't?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mul roll: I know your point, but Gasol was already owed $16 million this season anyways has he not opted out of his deal and he opted out only at the Spurs request to give them an opportunity to sign some others. Spurs ended up empty handed and didn't land any of the rumored stars (CP3) they would have needed the cap money for. But they had already verbally agreed to a deal with Gasol and they honored it when they misssed on all their targets this summer. It was a bad summer. I completely agree. But this article assumes Spurs didn't want Lee back and I think that's false.
    That's my whole point. They bent over backwards to accommodate Pau vs not offering Lee . ing w-h-y? Assuming Pau wanted to continue to pull fat paychecks beyond this upcoming season, and he obviously did.....what better way then to have him in a contract year? If he plays great -viola! Maybe he helps win a Championship. In all likelihood he is very motivated playing in a contract year. And if he sucks, we have the option of trading his expiring at midseason. Perfect scenario. But nooo, they give him some ridiculous verbal agreement in a fruitless pursuit of another of Pops Pets, the vastly overated CPChoke. Compound it by giving him 3 years. Oh ya I'm sure Pau will be super motivated now and for the next 3 years, we won't see any slacking at all.

All while burning Lee who was at 2.1 million and wanted a little raise?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes' days are numbered. Maybe not out of camp or even this season, but given their affinity with Mills, he has no path to even semi regular minutes going forward and they have the least invested in him. If he lasts the season, they'll either not qualify/rescind their qualifying offer to allow him greater opportunity elsewhere or some smart team will take a flier in the form of a decent offer sheet and they won't match.
    I am not sure that they'll do what they've been doing recently. Neal has a relatively consistent role-player and Simmons had a "good" playoffs. The team has shown that they will re-sign deep rotation players that they can keep on the cheap. They did so with Mills in 2012 as well as Baynes in 2014. I think Bryn has an NBA skill and has shown decent development, but I would not go so far as to assume he'd get a great or even good offer on the market. SA would keep him in that cir stance.

Most likely to get cut are:

Paul
    Lauvergne
    Forbes
    Murray
    Anderson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauvergne an Murray ain't getting cut!!! Anderson an Forbes maybe trade bait.. which leaves Paul... he could be cut for the right big!!

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is our best guard after Parker, Green, and Mills. Tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can only see a guy getting cut per se if he's completely inadequate for the role he has been assigned. If the issue is traditional big not playing well and Spurs wanting to pick up another, then I'd assume Lauvergne isn't playing well enough and is a liability out there. If that were the case, he'd be at risk.

Forbes needs to shoot better than he did last season. His niche is 3 pt shooting and that needs to improve at the NBA level otherwise he could be at risk. Hopefully he has a good season bc he will likely be needed.

Murray is just too young for a curtain call.

I expect Anderson to play well and have a good season.

I can't comment on BP3.

Unless a big were injured for a substantial time, I can't imagine Spurs cutting a perimeter player that is playing well. They seem to have made a choice to play differently and their biggest problem is Tony 's injury and Manu bring 40, rest games etc. That's,still going to remain the case.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's 2017 and people still post articles from PTR

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My concern is that we are limited at the SG position. Manu and Green will miss time. White and Paul are raw. Forbes could be the third SG here or even PG if Leonard or Anderson runs the show, and you might find that gay and Leonard will start if Green is injured. It's sad that we have three sg's and we don't trust any of them.
    Think Paul might start if Green is injured/given a rest game. He's not raw, just lacks NBA experience, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a slightly bigger role than most assume he will. He has the physical profile of a possible secondary Harden/Westbrook defender.

I am not sure that they'll do what they've been doing recently. Neal has a relatively consistent role-player and Simmons had a "good" playoffs. The team has shown that they will re-sign deep rotation players that they can keep on the cheap. They did so with Mills in 2012 as well as Baynes in 2014. I think Bryn has an NBA skill and has shown decent development, but I would not go so far as to assume he'd get a great or even good offer on the market. SA would keep him in that cir stance.

Paul
    Lauvergne
    Forbes
    Murray
    Anderson
    They do it when there's mutual interest from both sides and in the case of the player, that's generally only going to exist if there's a path to at least semi consistent minutes. In Forbes' case, he's permanently blocked. There's too much overlap between Mills and him and the former is entrenched. Barring something unforeseen, Murray and White aren't going anywhere anytime soon either.

It's all relative. Obviously, no one is breaking the bank on Forbes. I just mean a contract that would have him solidly in the league for a few years.

Not a chance Anderson, Lauvergne or Murray are cut.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Porkers at 15 mil a year isn't?
    Tony/Pop have a pact. Accept reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lee opted out, but I'm surprised the Spurs didn't ask him back when it was apparent they wouldn't get outbid. He brought a lot to the organization both on the floor and in the locker room. I'm fearful about all the unproven and prior season ineffectual "talent" we have on this year's roster.

At least Lee brought all he could give every single night. Dude played like a man on a mission, not someone lost on Mars. Probably our 3rd best player on many nights.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lee opted out, but I'm surprised the Spurs didn't ask him back when it was apparent they wouldn't get outbid. He brought a lot to the organization both on the floor and in the locker room. I'm fearful about all the unproven and prior season ineffectual "talent" we have on this year's roster.

At least Lee brought all he could give every single night. Dude played like a man on a mission, not someone lost on Mars. Probably our 3rd best player on many nights.
    Spurs are in a rebuild while still contending. Big picture, probably giving Lee all those minutes (when someone young could be developing) doesn't help, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are in a rebuild while still contending. Big picture, probably giving Lee all those minutes (when someone young could be developing) doesn't help, imo.
    I think you're right, but Lee was needed to play those minutes because the young guys couldn't get it done if we were going to win on many nights. Other than a roster spot he wouldn't have gotten in the way of developing young talent if that young talent could deliver. The Spurs have always blended the unproven guys with key veterans extremely well...probably better than any pro team ever has. But those veterans were usually guys like Lee who came here on value deals. This year our veteran leaders are eating a lot of payroll, which leaves the young talent pools perhaps a little less shiny than in previous seasons.

I say "perhaps" because I'm hoping I'm missing the diamonds in the rough that the Spurs have pulled up in the past.

But I have this recurring memory of David Robinson carrying a limited roster into the playoffs only to lose year after year (of which he didn't create an alias on social media to complain about ). I don't want the same fate for Kawhi.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you're right, but Lee was needed to play those minutes because the young guys couldn't get it done if we were going to win on many nights. ..
    Yea, we don't know if Bertans and others can get it done on a nightly basis. We'll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony/Pop have a pact. Accept reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lee had several strikes against him including the season ending injury in playoffs, but I really liked the way he played in the team concept. Smart, good passer, and surprisingly good moves down low for scores. NOt to mention his enthusiasm on and off court when not playing. I think the guy from Denver will replace him in the front line, rather than Bertans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PTR with their delusional article per par. Bertans can't rebound for .
    We should block PTR articles from being published here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should block PTR articles from being published here.
    Seconded.

Go Lakers/Giants/Yankees David Stern's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Paul
    Lauvergne
    Forbes
    Murray
    Anderson
    saying Murray gets cut. That's a future big 3 on this team. Stick to watching your Ravens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    saying Murray gets cut. That's a future big 3 on this team. Stick to watching your Ravens.
    I'll give you credit for switching accounts before saying something stupid.

Thread Information