Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017...lee-expendable

After arguably having done the same to Matt Bonner last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    David Lee opting out thinking he could get more $$$ made David Lee expendable, not a player in a thin frontcourt whose game is nothing alike tbh

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    B3rtans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smh Lee does everything asked of him and was absolutely kicking ass against got State in Game 1's Spurs blowout.

but but but got Gasol gets 16 million for 3 ing years while Lee gets the door.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The article is faulty in assuming the Spurs didn't bring Lee back bc of Davis. That's incorrect. Lee opted out of his own accord. Whether to get a last chance at a payday, or to get more minutes. He may have miscalculated his opportunities but so did many FA this past summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would still love to have him back tbh he was really good last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but isnt Davis injury prone? what happens when he goes down?

I know lee wasnt the most durable, but between the two of them we could get a full season's worth of play lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know the roster is "full" at this point, but what are the odds the Spurs pick up one more big (in the mold of Lee, Bogut, etc) before training camp, and let one of the other guys go? There are still two spots left for training camp IIRC, and what if one of those two outshines the others?

Paul, White, , even Forbes could easily be on the bubble despite having low guaranteed contracts. Only one of them will probably stand out, and we don't have space on the roster for a bunch of wasted guard prospects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The article is faulty in assuming the Spurs didn't bring Lee back bc of Davis. That's incorrect. Lee opted out of his own accord. Whether to get a last chance at a payday, or to get more minutes. He may have miscalculated his opportunities but so did many FA this past summer.
    So did Gasol. But PATFO bent over backwards to kiss he and Parkers asses.

Ok, so Lee wanted to see if he could make a little more then his 2.1 million salary. Heaven forbid.

I have no doubt the "Every NBA player wants to play for Pop and the Spurs" is a nice little myth that is bull among some NBA players. I'm sure some players and agents have taken note of older vets who are Pops Pets that get massively overpaid when considering their true value. See previously Mike Finley 2008-10, BonBon etc.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans replacing Lee? Don't know how we'll be able to rebound from this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mul roll: I know your point, but Gasol was already owed $16 million this season anyways has he not opted out of his deal and he opted out only at the Spurs request to give them an opportunity to sign some others. Spurs ended up empty handed and didn't land any of the rumored stars (CP3) they would have needed the cap money for. But they had already verbally agreed to a deal with Gasol and they honored it when they misssed on all their targets this summer. It was a bad summer. I completely agree. But this article assumes Spurs didn't want Lee back and I think that's false.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta admit that was funny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bogut sounds like an interesting possibility because he would be a luxury, but if the Spurs get a 4th big it would have to be a minutes sponge and Bogut is anything but that.

I think the premise of the article might be correct assuming that Pop makes significant changes on offense. If he decides to take a step or two towards the GS/HOU/CLE mold then a player like Bertans is more valuable than Lee. Given the current roster composition (even without Lauvergne), PATFO might think that there wouldn't be enough minutes for both Bertans and Lee anyway. So while Bertans cannot play Lee's role at all, his minutes would still need to come from somewhere if he is to get more PT.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PTR with their delusional article per par. Bertans can't rebound for .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans didn't make Lee expendable, Gay did. He's the one who will be a top 8 rotation player and effectively the third big.

I know the roster is "full" at this point, but what are the odds the Spurs pick up one more big (in the mold of Lee, Bogut, etc) before training camp, and let one of the other guys go? There are still two spots left for training camp IIRC, and what if one of those two outshines the others?

Paul, White, , even Forbes could easily be on the bubble despite having low guaranteed contracts. Only one of them will probably stand out, and we don't have space on the roster for a bunch of wasted guard prospects.
    White is definitely not on the bubble. No one is going to throw a 1st round pick from 3 months ago in the garbage . . . and before you bring up Jean-Charles, that was 3 years and at least one knee surgery between his being drafted and cut.

Paul might be, but it's probably unlikely. He's their best shot at having a third 3 and D type on the perimeter. He's also more experienced professionally than the other unproven guards.

Forbes' days are numbered. Maybe not out of camp or even this season, but given their affinity with Mills, he has no path to even semi regular minutes going forward and they have the least invested in him. If he lasts the season, they'll either not qualify/rescind their qualifying offer to allow him greater opportunity elsewhere or some smart team will take a flier in the form of a decent offer sheet and they won't match.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PTR with their delusional article per par. Bertans can't rebound for .
    I'm not gonna say he's a good rebounder or even an adequate one, but on the offensive side at least he usually is way out on the perimeter, and told by the coaches to get back as fast as possible in transition. It's not likes he's banging down low and ordered to crash the glass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bogut sounds like an interesting possibility because he would be a luxury, but if the Spurs get a 4th big it would have to be a minutes sponge and Bogut is anything but that.

I think the premise of the article might be correct assuming that Pop makes significant changes on offense. If he decides to take a step or two towards the GS/HOU/CLE mold then a player like Bertans is more valuable than Lee. Given the current roster composition (even without Lauvergne), PATFO might think that there wouldn't be enough minutes for both Bertans and Lee anyway. So while Bertans cannot play Lee's role at all, his minutes would still need to come from somewhere if he is to get more PT.
    This I agree with. I also thought Davis was pushing him for minutes last season. I definitely think he will play more this year. If he stayed this season, Lee would have been an undersized center and I don't think he would have wanted to play that role bc his minutes would fluctuate depending on situation and Pau/LMA. He would be playing Lauvergne like minutes. Also, it's possible Lee isn't suited to be an undersized center. He's been injury prone the last few seasons and banging with centers exposes him to a beating. Last season he played with another true center with him and his body was spared. This season he wouldn't.

It's probably for the best for him to move on. As you said, a minute sponge is Lauvergne.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not gonna say he's a good rebounder or even an adequate one, but on the offensive side at least he usually is way out on the perimeter, and told by the coaches to get back as fast as possible in transition. It's not likes he's banging down low and ordered to crash the glass.
    Fair enough and I expressed myself wrongly. Didn't bring context.

Now like you said, they aren't even the same kind of player. DLee isn't a perimeter player and Bertans is as fragile as its get
    wherever he tries to impose his will in the lane.

So the article is wrong in trying to reach this idea of Bertans making DLee expendable. Well Bertans didn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're totally different players, stretch big v dive man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans didn't make Lee expendable, Gay did. He's the one who will be a top 8 rotation player and effectively the third big.

White is definitely not on the bubble. No one is going to throw a 1st round pick from 3 months ago in the garbage . . . and before you bring up Jean-Charles, that was 3 years and at least one knee surgery between his being drafted and cut.

Paul might be, but it's probably unlikely. He's their best shot at having a third 3 and D type on the perimeter. He's also more experienced professionally than the other unproven guards.

Forbes' days are numbered. Maybe not out of camp or even this season, but given their affinity with Mills, he has no path to even semi regular minutes going forward and they have the least invested in him. If he lasts the season, they'll either not qualify/rescind their qualifying offer to allow him greater opportunity elsewhere or some smart team will take a flier in the form of a decent offer sheet and they won't match.
    My concern is that we are limited at the SG position. Manu and Green will miss time. White and Paul are raw. Forbes could be the third SG here or even PG if Leonard or Anderson runs the show, and you might find that gay and Leonard will start if Green is injured. It's sad that we have three sg's and we don't trust any of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any team with Forbes playing any sort of important role is in trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any team with Forbes playing any sort of important role is in trouble.
    Can't say I disagree with this. If the team tries to stick Forbes into a Neal type of role...good god.

I like the kid and he had a good summer league showing, but unless he can shoot 60% from the field...he is far too limited everywhere else.

Thread Information