Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure about that. It could be depending on how much experimentation goes on with different lineups and specially if more playing time goes to young players than we think.

I tend think they will be a mix of old and new but they already were that last season. Only last season the old played the most minutes and carried the biggest burden. I'd say it's a transition if that changes. It may end up being that just by the nature of Tony 's injury forcing Pop's hand and Manu playing less (but he already was very restricted last season).

Aside from Kawhi's MVP candidacy, what I'd like to see is the potential on Pop's young players and hopefully finding some keepers. It's possible some players really surprise with solid seasons from which build upon in the future.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/1...&sf115037228=1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It isn't a transition year because the Spurs actually believe this scrubby team has a shot.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Transition to what? Last year was a transition year after Tim retired. This is just a terribly constructed roster that was built to make the playoffs behind Kawhi's backpack.

Mainstream media trying to act like RC shat the bed on purpose he really realllllly tried to build a winner folks, that's the sad part.

In order for this to be a transition year, it would mean everyone is on 1yr contracts and the Spurs are setting up to spend Big next summer. That window shut after the $98,000,000 gifted to Fatty Mills and Fat Gasol. All the cap is gone. You're kidding yourself if you don't think Parker, Green, and Gay aren't about to get mega extensions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team has been built to make the playoffs for years. Sometimes they've gone above expectations and once they won it all since 2007, but they weren't built to win a ring in 2013 or 2014, they just played as a team above their individual abilities, with the exception of the stars.

Hanging around in the top 4 can sometimes yield a magical year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You never know. Curry goes down and we got a shot, along with the Rockets and Thunder. And we don't know how good Gay will be in our system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You never know. Curry goes down and we got a shot, along with the Rockets and Thunder. And we don't know how good Gay will be in our system.

This. You could say everyone else is just playing for the playoffs the way the Dubs are stacked. Just need one big injury or upset and the world is ours (the way everyone else is thinking too).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again as the clicke goes, "That's why you play the games." Long shot, perhaps. Impossible, not by a long shot.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Transition to what? Last year was a transition year after Tim retired. This is just a terribly constructed roster that was built to make the playoffs behind Kawhi's backpack.
    Gonna ride Shaun Marion to glory, huh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team has been built to make the playoffs for years. Sometimes they've gone above expectations and once they won it all since 2007, but they weren't built to win a ring in 2013 or 2014, they just played as a team above their individual abilities, with the exception of the stars.

Good post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi will probably break his back by round 2 due to carrying these sorry sacks of so called NBA players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, bunch of pussies in this thread.

Why can't the Spurs have a superteam like the Warriors?

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmmm, wasn't there another "team in transition" if I recall, oh say about 14 years ago? Again, if I remember, they didn't do half bad...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, bunch of RC fluffers in this thread.

just calm down and trust PATFO at all costs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Whos asking for a superteam??

An upgrade over Paty s, one trick pony Green, Lamarsha and a 200 year old argentine mummy would do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whos asking for a superteam??

An upgrade over Paty s, one trick pony Green, Lamarsha and a 200 year old argentine mummy would do
    Bingo. A super team isn't needed. Kawhi is good enough to lead this team past the Golden Showers if only the FO would get rid of the dead weight.

It isn't complicated, PATFO slurpers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In order for this to be a transition year, it would mean everyone is on 1yr contracts and the Spurs are setting up to spend Big next summer. That window shut after the $98,000,000 gifted to Fatty Mills and Fat Gasol. All the cap is gone. You're kidding yourself if you don't think Parker, Green, and Gay aren't about to get mega extensions
    Exactly. This off season ensured that, with the possible exception of Aldridge, this is going to be the core of the team going forward. They basically conceded that they either couldn't get a legit second star anytime soon or didn't want to pursue the ones they might have a shot at and were content with good being good enough, as opposed maintaining flexibility.

The only hope is, that Westbrook doesn't sign his extension by the November 1st deadline, George signs with Lakers and the former, consumed with getting revenge on Durant and winning a championship, reaches the logical conclusion that this is the only chance he'd have of doing so, while maintaining a ball dominant role. Short of that, there is no other star on the horizon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be easy enough to fit a star in next offseason - it's just a matter of dumping Gasol (which would essentially be an expiring contract given his 3rd year isn't guaranteed for much) & Parker taking what is left, which I think he would be willing to do since he's at a point in his career where he's essentially come off a loyalty contract & was paid more than his performance warranted. But that's not really the problem - it's getting a star free agent to sign in San Antonio. The Spurs have signed one star player (Aldridge) in almost 50 years of existence . They probably haven't even signed another top 40 player in that time, so they know the odds of getting anyone here is so remote everything has to be done through trades or the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be easy enough to fit a star in next offseason - it's just a matter of dumping Gasol (which would essentially be an expiring contract given his 3rd year isn't guaranteed for much) & Parker taking what is left, which I think he would be willing to do since he's at a point in his career where he's essentially come off a loyalty contract & was paid more than his performance warranted. But that's not really the problem - it's getting a star free agent to sign in San Antonio. The Spurs have signed one star player (Aldridge) in almost 50 years of existence . They probably haven't even signed another top 40 player in that time, so they know the odds of getting anyone here is so remote everything has to be done through trades or the draft.
    Aside from
    1.) expecting Aldridge to opt out of an easy $23,000,000
    2.) getting a team to want 39yo Gasol on a horrendous contract
    3.) hoping Green doesn't get an extension bigger than Patty's
    4.) praying Parker takes the vet min

What's stopping RC from ting himself again next offseason and the one after? Everything is okay!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year's offseason moves became baffling after Pau's contract. I was sure we were setting up for something more but instead we went out and signed less...a lot less. With the Spurs I'm always wondering what the big plan is because it doesn't always materialize immediately. So I'm waiting...

and waiting...

and waiting....

and.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aside from
    1.) expecting Aldridge to opt out of an easy $23,000,000
    2.) getting a team to want 39yo Gasol on a horrendous contract
    3.) hoping Green doesn't get an extension bigger than Patty's
    4.) praying Parker takes the vet min

What's stopping RC from ting himself again next offseason and the one after? Everything is okay!
    If Aldridge stays healthy & plays reasonably well, it's fairly likely he'll opt out. As I said, Gasol's contract is essentially expiring, so other teams will be willing to eat that if they want to offload someone. I'm confident Parker will be willing to take less depending on who they have a chance to sign. Green's a bit of an unknown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Aldridge stays healthy & plays reasonably well, it's fairly likely he'll opt out. As I said, Gasol's contract is essentially expiring, so other teams will be willing to eat that if they want to offload someone. I'm confident Parker will be willing to take less depending on who they have a chance to sign. Green's a bit of an unknown.
    That kind of player likely won't put the Spurs over the top and isn't worth holding onto the ancient bag of Spanish for 2 years while simultaneously killing financial flexibility.

It was a bad move. Plain and simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That kind of player likely won't put the Spurs over the top and isn't worth holding onto the ancient bag of Spanish for 2 years while simultaneously killing financial flexibility.

It was a bad move. Plain and simple.
    I'm not saying it wasn't, they often overpay for perceived loyalty, but it doesn't kill our financial flexibility. If, for some reason, we convince a difference maker to sign here, they'll make it happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying it wasn't, they often overpay for perceived loyalty, but it doesn't kill our financial flexibility. If, for some reason, we convince a difference maker to sign here, they'll make it happen.
    So you're saying it was a bad deal?

Btw, there's no guarantee anyone of worth will be available, let alone a team with said player available to take Gasol. Also, there is NO guarantee Aldridge opts out and/or Green doesn't get his loyalty contract as well...And that's not even including the one we know Parker will get. The Gasol deal was a bad gamble at best. I have my doubts it will pay off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is what the Spurs are looking at next summer. Sort of like the 2008-2010 Lakers/Celtics. They each had a lot bad but expiring contracts they where able to utilize get a couple of Stars. The Spurs are unlikely to get big name free agents. However, with the cap not going up and a lot of teams realizing they have no chance to win it all they may start unloading some of these recent incredible contracts. Maybe not the best example as they are aging- but Memphis and Conley and Gasol. I would suspect next summer if not this year they are going to be looked at to be moved.

Next year the Spurs will have an insane amount of expiring contracts.
    They are on the books for ~ 99 million in 18/19 and ~50 or less the following year.

Thread Information