Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'd rather see the guys retire with dignity but , after Scott screwed the rest of STP over millions of tour money with his addiction over the years might as well release Core 2.0 This kid sounds like Core Scott.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFs9T-jwpYo

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'd rather see the guys retire with dignity but , after Scott screwed the rest of STP over millions of tour money with his addiction over the years might as well release Core 2.0 This kid sounds like Core Scott.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFs9T-jwpYo
    I guess. But I don't think I give a about duplicating a voice.
    There's probably thousands of really good signers that can mimic him. But it's the lyrics and fit with the original band that made it work.

It's similar to Alice in Chains. The new guy is a great talent but I don't have much interest in watching them.

That being said, I hope they make a go of it and earn some money.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There's probably thousands of really good signers that can mimic him. But it's the lyrics and fit with the original band that made it work.

It's similar to Alice in Chains. The new guy is a great talent but I don't have much interest in watching them.

I feel the same. These bands become glorified cover acts when they hire sound-alike singers. Better to hire somebody different that brings something new, or at least some writing ability to the table if they are intent on continuing. Arnel Pineda with Journey is another example. He's been in the band for over a decade and I bet not a single person can name a post-Steve Perry song without looking it up. These groups make their money touring on all their old tunes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I feel the same. These bands become glorified cover acts when they hire sound-alike singers. Better to hire somebody different that brings something new, or at least some writing ability to the table if they are intent on continuing. Arnel Pineda with Journey is another example. He's been in the band for over a decade and I bet not a single person can name a post-Steve Perry song without looking it up. These groups make their money touring on all their old tunes.
    Well yeah, nobody wants to hear brand new 1980s journey songs. It's the nostalgia

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah...it's got to be a tough decision. I can kind of overlook Journey as they're pretty much a nostalgia band. I don't think anyone was expecting them to make new music. So you just find the guy than can sing those songs. Perry's voice was inseparable from those tunes.

I suppose you could make the same case for AIC or STP. But I would have liked to see a couple more new albums from each of them. Especially STP. They seemed to be able to morph into something new each time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    In fact, I really liked Jerry Cantrell's solo stuff. Was pretty cool.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well yeah, nobody wants to hear brand new 1980s journey songs. It's the nostalgia
    Not anymore, no, but Perry hasn't been in the band since the 90s. 20+ years later and they're still milking the same tunes. And STP ain't exactly young at this point either. If they do release a new album, it probably won't sell for . They'll be in the same situation... a glorified cover band.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    In fact, I really liked Jerry Cantrell's solo stuff. Was pretty cool.
    I found it amazing that AIC was pretty successful post Layne with the new singer. I actually dig a few of their new tunes. No grunge band is going to recapture the glory of the 90s but if they can make some good new music im down. There are no good rock bands anymore. they are all nostalgia acts. Rock isn't dead yet but it hasn't been reborn either.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Not anymore, no, but Perry hasn't been in the band since the 90s. 20+ years later and they're still milking the same tunes. And STP ain't exactly young at this point either. If they do release a new album, it probably won't sell for . They'll be in the same situation... a glorified cover band.
    It's an extremely rare thing for a band to crank out fresh music 20 years later.

Even Bon Jovi has to milk his 80s stuff

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I found it amazing that AIC was pretty successful post Layne with the new singer. I actually dig a few of their new tunes. No grunge band is going to recapture the glory of the 90s but if they can make some good new music im down. There are no good rock bands anymore. they are all nostalgia acts. Rock isn't dead yet but it hasn't been reborn either.
    So true. I had this discussion with my kid. Plenty of bands that are able to put out a cool song or two. But nothing that fills an album.

I don't know if it's a function of being able to just download a single (making the rest of the album less important) or just that everything's been done already.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So true. I had this discussion with my kid. Plenty of bands that are able to put out a cool song or two. But nothing that fills an album.

I don't know if it's a function of being able to just download a single (making the rest of the album less important) or just that everything's been done already.
    I don't even know how many people buy complete albums anymore being that everything is digital download now. Seems like people just download individual songs.

But yeah, mainstream rock is just about dead.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

My theory is that kids don't get their friends together anymore and jam out in the garage with guitars and drumsets. Its all electronic music these days and ipads and has been for years. Gonna take an Axl Justin Beiber to save rock and influence a whole new generation.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I used to be able to rattle off the lead guitar players for each band back in the day.

I'm not sure there is even such a thing as lead guitar any more

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't even know how many people buy complete albums anymore being that everything is digital download now. Seems like people just download individual songs.

But yeah, mainstream rock is just about dead.
    My theory is that kids don't get their friends together anymore and jam out in the garage with guitars and drumsets. Its all electronic music these days and ipads and has been for years. Gonna take an Axl Justin Beiber to save rock and influence a whole new generation.
    I used to be able to rattle off the lead guitar players for each band back in the day.

I'm not sure there is even such a thing as lead guitar any more
    I remember having to make a choice as to how I spent my $10. Whatever cassette I bought, I would usually listen to it straight through without skipping songs. Was too much a pain the ass to fast forward or flip to the other side. So I ended up listening to the full album. And usually ended up enjoying some random song that never made it as a single.

It doesn't seem like bands put in the time or thought to make 10 good songs anymore.

Yeah Blake about the lead guitar.

As embarrassing as it is, I think the heyday of lead guitar was with the hair metal bands. Those guys were technically proficient. It was pretty redundant at times but some of them really stood out.

Grunge had it's share of good musicians as well. Seemed like they put more thought into the notes than trying to cram in as many as possible.

But now, I can't even name one new virtuoso.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Good point. There was no shortage of musicians and garage bands when I was in school. And if we weren't playing together, we'd go to jam nights at different bars/clubs. I don't see that with kids today, at least not at the same level.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Correct. Closest I've come to feeling OK about replacement vocals is with Creedence Clearwater Revisited. And that was at the Rodeo sometime ago and about a liter of vodka and some xananx.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    No lyricist got me more than Weiland.

New AIC is cool. First Album had a good classic vibe but also felt distinctly new.

Good range. From Black Gives Way (Jar of Flies) to A Looking In View (Facelift), strong sound.

I'll check out the new intimation of STP, but Weiland wasn't just Core. While that's great for a start, it will feel woefully unfulfilling.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats

It's not true, though. There are no good POPULAR rock bands.

Local H is quintessential grunge and 12 Angry Months is better than there successful 90s As Good As Dead album, and I belie Whatever Happened To PJ Soles to be their best work. Better yet, each is a concept album.

As Good As Dead recalls their semi-celebrity of the 90s, and their angst to keep it amidst a dying landscape...
    Whatever Happened To PJ Soles recalls the plight of many a celebrity turned forgotten nobody, something the band felt it was living through.
    12 Angry Months chronicles the year long unraveling of a long term relationship and the stages of angst one feels amidst the chaos.

That's one band, sure, but there are plenty of bands making great rock. Nobody ing cares. That's the problem.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Not a fan of bands going on w/o the singer; but this guy is pretty spot on if they must. INXS got someone who was no Michael Hutchence by any stretch and it was never the same at all. But they didn't want to leave those scant millions on the table and neither does STP it appears.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Mad season was always better anyhow... oops that was AiC

Thread Information