Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how is this not the republicans shooting themselves in the foot?
    If they didn't pass it all the money from their billionaire benefactors would have dried up. Graham admitted as much. It's not shooting themselves in the foot, it's shooting Americans in the face.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    republicans shooting themselves in the foot?
    how naive.

Politicians don't GAF about "regular people", only about their BigDonor class.

Several Repugs said they had been threatened with no donations by donors if the tax cut failed.

Trash still has 35% approval rating, and among Repug voters, his approval is 75%+,

so the Repug Congress people absolutely know they are immune from loss of support,

no matter what they do,

as will be proven if the Repug supporters ever ing even understand how the Repugs are foot soldiers for the oligarchy coup d'etat.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-02-2017 at 01:30 PM.

I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With a bombing economy not likely
    You mean booming dumbass and the economy is good now and he still has a historically low approval rating which us unheard of

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they didn't pass it all the money from their billionaire benefactors would have dried up. Graham admitted as much. It's not shooting themselves in the foot, it's shooting Americans in the face.
    no i get that, but the mental gymnastics involved to defend these assholes by normal people is terrifying

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here are 7 differences Republicans must resolve between their tax bills

1. Obamacare’s individual mandate

2. Tax cuts for individuals

3. The estate tax

4. The child tax credit

5. The mortgage interest deduction

6. Tax brackets

7. When corporate tax cuts kick in

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...nl_most&wpmm=1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here are 7 differences Republicans must resolve between their tax bills

1. Obamacare’s individual mandate

2. Tax cuts for individuals

3. The estate tax

4. The child tax credit

5. The mortgage interest deduction

6. Tax brackets

7. When corporate tax cuts kick in

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...nl_most&wpmm=1

Repealing the mandate likely solves most of the differences. Plus the senate was the hard house to get the individual mandate repeal through.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's one big Class Warfare win for the Wealthy Class to avoid sending the kids to public schools for the non-wealthy, as well as financing for Christian Taliban madrasas.

Also, a huge win for Devos and similar slime bags who kill public schools to subsidize for-profit charter schools, for-profit colleges, aka, taxpayer wealth transfer to the wealthy.

Senate Republicans are essentially defunding public schools to pay for private ones

Another big win for the wealthy.

does away with crucial support for public schools while adding a provision beneficial to their private counterparts. That move would help wealthy parents pay for private schools, including religious schools, while hurting lower-income families. A similar provision is in the House version of the tax bill.

Under current law, parents can open 529 plans to help pay for future college costs.

A last-minute provision added to the Senate tax bill allows for 529 plans to be used for K-12 private schools. (Lawmakers initially included but later removed a controversial provision allowing parents to open 529 accounts for fetuses.)

“Last night, Ted Cruz (wirh the help of a tiebreaking vote from VP Pence) got the 529s-for-private-schools provision into the Senate tax bill.

As I reported last month, this

could be worth $30,000 in net new tax savings per child to wealthy families,”

Lieber wrote. “The Cruz amendment goes even further than the House 529s-for-private-schools thing did. If the House comes around, you’ll be able to use 529s for tutoring.”

For families able to afford private school, the combination of SALT’s demise and the tax bill’s new private school provision is likely to make the decision to pay for private education far more appealing.

Experts have speculated that

the elimination of SALT could ultimately cost public schools
    upwards of $17 billion.

That loss will almost inevitably degrade the quality of public schools, something that will hurt families with no other option.

Around 50.7 million U.S. students attend public schools — approximately 90 percent of students in the United States.

https://thinkprogress.org/taxes-schools-public-private-d89e5157d5bf/

taxpayers already subsidize for-profit so-called colleges with $130B / year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the GOP can no longer talk about fiscal responsibility.
    Worse is when both parties talk about fiscal responsibility. The Federal Government is not like a household, it cannot go broke.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So-Called Christians, avarciously power hungry, pushing Christian supremacy to the max.

Here is how the tax package could blur the separation of church and politics

T
    he tax package pending in Congress includes a provision that would leave churches and other nonprofits, which by law must be nonpartisan, suddenly free to engage in political speech.

This measure, currently
    only in the House version of the bill, could potentially change charitable life as we know it.

President Donald Trump vowed as a candidate to repeal the Johnson Amendment to give church leaders the ability to speak about politics without penalty. But repealing a law takes an act of Congress and power he lacks.

As a step in that direction,
    he issued an executive order directing the IRS not to enforce it for religious ins utions.

The tax bill’s proposed change would actually repeal the Johnson Amendment, and it would apply to all
    charitable organizations, including churches and other houses of worship like mosques and synagogues. It came as an unwelcome surprise to most charities, which have been openly rejecting it.

“Charitable nonprofits don’t want to be dragged into the toxic political wasteland,”

political speech by these groups would technically need to meet two requirements.

First, charities would be able to make political statements in the ordinary course of business – that is, doing whatever it is they do.

For example, a prominent pastor could endorse political candidates during a sermon that’s broadcast or livestreamed.

Second, making such statements must cost no more than an “
    incremental de minimis amount” – regulatory language that basically translates into “not much.”

calls to vote for a particular candidate could be printed in flyers as long as those missives were mainly about something else.

And nonprofits could endorse candidates on their websites as long as the details do not dominate that digital space.

Politicking would be allowed on the sidelines and if it does not consume a large share of a group’s budget.

Alliance Defending Freedom, a conservative Christian legal group, argues that the Johnson Amendment uncons utionally restricts free speech by not allowing nonprofits to speak on big issues that matter to the public.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/how-the-tax-package-could-blur-the-separation-of-church-and-politics/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worse is when both parties talk about fiscal responsibility. The Federal Government is not like a household, it cannot go broke.
    I don't know where to start with this statement. Do you think the Feds can just keep spending money that they don't have - raiding Medicare, SS, etc and there eventually doesn't come a time when we cannot pay the interest on our debt? What happens then? In case some aren't noticing, China is just stomping at the bit to become the world's reserve currency. What will happen to the value of the US dollar then?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tax bill’s attack on higher education undermines America’s economic vitality

Republicans aim to impose a 1.4 percent tax on investment income at private schools with endowments worth at least US$250,000 per full-time student.

This would affect as many as 70 schools and cost them an estimated $2.5 billion over a decade.

make it more difficult to hold down rising tuition expenses, thus closing off educational opportunities for many students from lower- and middle-income families.

Public universities in states like New York and California can also expect to be hard hit by the bill’s elimination of the federal deduction for state and local taxes.

Since this change
    will actually add to residents’ overall tax bills, state governments are bound to come under voter pressure to offset them with tax cuts closer to home, which in turn will require corresponding expenditure reductions.

House Republicans propose eliminating a benefit that lets some taxpayers deduct student loan interest. That too will close off opportunities for many poorer students.

The House bill also takes aim at a break that presently makes graduate school more affordable by allowing students to work as research or teaching assistants for tuition waivers that don’t count as taxable income.

Counting these waivers as income
    would make graduate school unaffordable for tens of thousands of current and would-be students.

All in all, the House bill alone would reduce tax incentives for higher education by an estimated $64 billion over 10 years.

the provisions targeting higher education will have adverse economic effects that will be both substantial and long-lasting.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/tax-bills-attack-on-higher-education-undermines-americas-economic-vitality/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know where to start with this statement. Do you think the Feds can just keep spending money that they don't have - raiding Medicare, SS, etc and there eventually doesn't come a time when we cannot pay the interest on our debt? What happens then? In case some aren't noticing, China is just stomping at the bit to become the world's reserve currency. What will happen to the value of the US dollar then?
    Shouldn't you be ting on this bill that costs the government $2 trillion then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She should, but she won’t. She is a blind supporter of Donald.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP Tax Plan Pulls the Plug on Renewable Energy

Both versions of the GOP tax plan could deal a devastating blow to solar and wind production.

impose steep taxes on the companies that help finance renewable development. Leaders in the wind and solar sector warn that such hikes would undercut the industry’s most important financing tools.

“Almost overnight, you would see a devastating reduction in wind and solar energy investment and development,”

House bill, released in early November, proposed cutting the Production Tax Credit (PTC) for renewables by a third, eliminating the Investment Tax Credit for solar production, and repealing the electric vehicle purchase credit.

Both GOP tax bills follow the familiar pattern

propping up the fossil fuel industry while sowing deep uncertainty about the future of renewables.

At a time when solar and wind development has never been more critical—or more profitable—President Trump and his congressional allies are pushing a tax regime that would compromise America’s ability to fight the global climate crisis.

http://prospect.org/article/gop-tax-...newable-energy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you think I believe any estimate by CBO? after their butchering of estimates with Obamacare, think again - I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. And I didn't hear you liberals complain when Obama did his shovel-ready stimulus (our area used the $ for flowers that are now dead). At least, this might have a chance of working.

I have already posted the math for a young, single filer (which most who read this board probably are) who earns the US median income and it does show a significant tax cut (19% iirc with this plan vs current) but people continue to spread falsehoods about how taxes for middle class Americans will go up. Of course, if one lives in a high tax state like NY or CA, it might with the SALT provision but high state taxes is not the fault of the Feds.

I have already stated my opinion on tax cuts - that I'm for the business tax cuts and repatriation and not for the personal.

Imo, the first thing that needs to go in government is the automatic INCREASES in spending every year - it's ridiculous - why should government grow at x%. Cut back on spending, put work requirements on any welfare received by able-bodied adults, stop subsidizing other countries (I laugh when I hear "Europe steps in to cover US shortfall in funding climate science") militarily or otherwise and allow in immigrants who will contribute economically.

But Canada’s hospitable at ude is not innate; it is, rather, the product of very hardheaded government policies. Ever since the mid-1960s, the majority of immigrants to the country (about 65 percent in 2015) have been admitted on purely economic grounds, having been evaluated under a nine-point rubric that ignores their race, religion and ethnicity and instead looks at their age, education, job skills, language ability and other attributes that define their potential contribution to the national work force.

No wonder this approach appeals to President Trump. He’s right to complain that America’s system makes no sense. The majority (about two-thirds in 2015) of immigrants to the United States are admitted under a program known as family reunification — in other words, their fate depends on whether they already have relatives in the country. Family reunification sounds nice on an emotional level (who doesn’t want to unite families?). But it’s a lousy basis for government policy, since it lets dumb luck — that is, whether some relative of yours had the good fortune to get here before you — shape the immigrant population.

For example, about half of all Canadian immigrants arrive with a college degree, while the figure in the United States is just 27 percent. Immigrant children in Canadian schools read at the same level as the native born, while the gap is huge in the United States. Canadian immigrants are almost 20 percent more likely to own their own homes and 7 percent less likely to live in poverty than their American equivalents.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/28/o...icy-trump.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Financial responsibility lectures still even lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you think I believe any estimate by CBO? after their butchering of estimates with Obamacare, think again - I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. And I didn't hear you liberals complain when Obama did his shovel-ready stimulus (our area used the $ for flowers that are now dead). At least, this might have a chance of working.
    What a stupid cunt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Financial responsibility lectures still even lmao
    With some more immigration whining added in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can't afford healthcare for our people
    Lets instead throw money away to give corporations a big windfall for stock buybacks

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    We're gonna have to increase immigration to replace all the people who are going to die.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're gonna have to increase immigration to replace all the people who are going to die.
    Is that a joke or sarcasm? Who is going to die? Because of this tax cut? Uhh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The illegal killed Kate and the illegal replaced Kate except she obeyed laws and paid taxes

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Is that a joke or sarcasm? Who is going to die? Because of this tax cut? Uhh?
    People are already dying at a rate that necessitates immigration. The tax and heath care changes will raise that rate.

But life is sacred.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are already dying at a rate that necessitates immigration. The tax and heath care changes will raise that rate.

But life is sacred.
    And why should the US not do a merit-based system like Canada - why not allow people who will contribute economically to our country - who have college degrees, who speak our language (like English/French for Canada)?

People were not dying in the streets from lack of health care before Obamacare. And please explain how this tax change will raise the death rate.

I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And why should the US not do a merit-based system like Canada - why not allow people who will contribute economically to our country - who have college degrees, who speak our language (like English/French for Canada)?

People were not dying in the streets from lack of health care before Obamacare. And please explain how this tax change will raise the death rate.
    He's talking about how American born citizens especially millennials are having less than replacement levels of kids I would think. So you need immigration to prevent declining population numbers which is bad for the economy

Thread Information