Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If their LIPS are moving, they are LYING

Republican cites ‘Obamaphones’ to defend tax giveaway to the rich — and then gets cut down to size

Bauer — who served as South Carolina’s lieutenant governor until 2011 — discussed the GOP tax plan, and

said Democrats need to work with Republicans

I’ve never seen so many budget hawks in all of my life when

Obama was giving out phones

cash for clunkers, continued

to give away $8 trillion
    WTF? and

now the $1 trillion that’s really not going to happen.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/watch-republican-cites-obamaphones-to-defend-tax-giveaway-to-the-rich-and-then-gets-cut-down-to-size/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29

Repugs just know and depend on that their supporters and Spurtstalkers are gullible, ignorant, stupid mother ers.

St Ronnie the Diseased Useful Idiot started giving away Obamaphones ... in 1984.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump budget director: Feeding elderly and children has to end, it's not 'showing any results'

Donald Trump's budget cuts Meals on Wheels and after-school nutrition programs because those programs "aren't showing any results."

We can't do that anymore.

We can't spend money on programs just because they sound good.

Meals on Wheels sounds great. […] I can't defend that anymore.

We cannot defend that anymore. $20 trillion in debt.

We're going to spend money, we're going to spend a lot of money

but we're not going to spend it on programs that show they deliver the promises we made to people.

As for the school children:

They're supposed to help kids who don't get fed at home get fed so they do better in school.

Guess what? There's no evidence they're actually doing that.

There's no evidence they're helping results, helping kids do better in school, which is what -- when we took your money from you to say, we're going to spend them on after-school program,

we justified it by saying these kids will do better in school and get jobs. We have no proof that's helping.

Goddammit old people and school children! Get out there and get jobs so we know that feeding you is worth our money.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/3/16/1644266/-Trump-budget-director-Feeding-elderly-and-children-has-to-end-it-s-not-showing-any-results?detail=emailclassic

Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-31-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bou, one of the most important things public schools could do to improve education is teach solid, automatic math facts. I know some of you scoff at people swotting, rote memorization and seemingly, mindless repe ion (programs like Kumon) but that's what's needed in the elementary ages when the brain is most receptive to memorization and most like a sponge. I feel that in order to impress parents the public schools introduce all this statistics, critical thinking and logic way too early to the detriment of cementing basic math facts, fractions, decimals and percents. I seem so many kids get lost around 5th grade in math - it's sad.

I liken it to the Classical education model and even church (learning bible verses by heart) where the emphasis should be on memorization up until puberty - then you can add in the logical, application stuff in puberty and after. What is the sense of all this critical thinking, reasoning, application when children are very young - they don't have the logic, background or knowledge to reason.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bou, one of the most important things public schools could do to improve education is teach solid, automatic math facts. I know some of you scoff at people swotting, rote memorization and seemingly, mindless repe ion (programs like Kumon) but that's what's needed in the elementary ages when the brain is most receptive to memorization and most like a sponge. I feel that in order to impress parents the public schools introduce all this statistics, critical thinking and logic way too early to the detriment of cementing basic math facts, fractions, decimals and percents. I seem so many kids get lost around 5th grade in math - it's sad.

I liken it to the Classical education model and even church (learning bible verses by heart) where the emphasis should be on memorization up until puberty - then you can add in the logical, application stuff in puberty and after. What is the sense of all this critical thinking, reasoning, application when children are very young - they don't have the logic, background or knowledge to reason.
    Stick to Florida with the large brush.

NISD in San Antonio uses rote memorization exactly how you describe in math.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And now we use our public school education to try and determine how the Republicans simplified the Tax Code.

hmmm...

Tax accountants just salivating with the new rules and loop holes, especially with the pass thru stuff. Everyone and their mother is gonna challenge this with a filing. IRS is going to have to pick the most egregious use of this part of the tax code to challenge. Rush, rush, rush and open the flood gates on innovative accounting. Yeah Team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stick to Florida with the large brush.

NISD in San Antonio uses rote memorization exactly how you describe in math.
    Well, good for whatever NISD stands for. I don't think it's just FL - but Miami-Dade is the 4th largest and Broward (iirc) - 7th largest school districts in the US.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And now we use our public school education to try and determine how the Republicans simplified the Tax Code.

hmmm...

Tax accountants just salivating with the new rules and loop holes, especially with the pass thru stuff. Everyone and their mother is gonna challenge this with a filing. IRS is going to have to pick the most egregious use of this part of the tax code to challenge. Rush, rush, rush and open the flood gates on innovative accounting. Yeah Team.
    The majority of middle class (except maybe those in high tax state) will see tax cuts - there'll be no hiding them - no matter what the media tries to sell. Everyone and their mother sounds too broad to me - that will affect much fewer than that. Most likely, the middle class will happily take their higher standard deduction and lower tax rate and still rail at Trump and the repubs about this tax bill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, good for whatever NISD stands for. I don't think it's just FL - but Miami-Dade is the 4th largest and Broward (iirc) - 7th largest school districts in the US.
    NISD is 12 iirc last look and has not even taken up 50% of its available land. It's huge and growing as fast as any school district in the US. So you are broad brushing. And also absolutely missing the real problem that is very difficult.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only arithmetic-by-rote I had was writing out multiplication tables dozens of times. It stuck.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NISD is 12 iirc last look and has not even taken up 50% of its available land. It's huge and growing as fast as any school district in the US. So you are broad brushing. And also absolutely missing the real problem that is very difficult.
    What do you think is the real problem that is very difficult?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The majority of middle class (except maybe those in high tax state) will see tax cuts - there'll be no hiding them - no matter what the media tries to sell. Everyone and their mother sounds too broad to me - that will affect much fewer than that. Most likely, the middle class will happily take their higher standard deduction and lower tax rate and still rail at Trump and the repubs about this tax bill.
    You need to read all the rules for the pass thru rules for small companies. Very large companies AND individuals are going to make hay on this. People will test this part and theIRS will not have the wherewithal to disallow many of the challenges. It's called, finding loopholes. This is what you get with rushed, and sometimes even very well thought out, tax rules.

The promise was not only reduced taxes (accomplished as promised and noted) but simplification. Not even close on the later. And with loopholes the deficit will be reduced? Remains to be seen but seriously, seriously doubtful. Another promise broken.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jobs won't be created

pay won't rise (real household income has been essentially stagnant since St Ronnie was elected)

unemployment won't fall (Fed intentionally kills jobs by raising interest rates, which it will continue to do in 2018). Increasing interest rates increases wealth of bond holders, wealth financed by taxpayers.

the national debt increase will be much larger than the $1.5T, which is the largest estimate I saw.

Huge Repug tax cuts under St Ronnie and dubya didn't work out as sold with the same lies as we've heard in 2017, and neither will this tax cut.

the oligarchy-enriching tax cut, as purchased by the oligarchy from corrupt Repugs, is a huge con, scam, LIE.

When the annual deficits greatly increase due to stagnant wages, jobs, and reduced tax inflows, Ryan and other assholes will screw $100Bs out of Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security.

All that has been accomplished is that the economy is even more rigged for the oligarchy at the expense of the non-oligarchy.

It's a more severe class warfare, looting America and Americans, concentrating/distributing wealth from the bottom to the top.

All the new wealth of any GDP increase will go to the top 10% or even 5%, just as it has since 2009.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think is the real problem that is very difficult?
    Well we need to do this again. Which I have explained to you way back as well as to parents who send their kids to one of the best Classical Christian school in Texas located in Boerne. This is a fantastic school. And not just a Classical school in name, this school is very rigorous, Top notch. I work closely with dad occasionally and have tutored their kid in Physics I AP. I also volunteer atNISD in the summer programs. Have friends that are teachers.

Bottom line is, if we could make more parents and socioeconomic situations like you illustrate, education would be absolutely easy. Basically because, and this is important to fully understand, that the public schools mimic the socioeconomic situation of the surroundings. This includes PARENTS. If you have parents, who have never benefited from education, from a broken family, that can barely make ends meet, good luck with the heirarchy of needs. They are just trying to survive. Education does not directly feed and provide cover from the elements.

I have seen seen the dichotomy in one school district in Texas. Jay HS, with parents and students living in shacks, severely underperform compared to Health Career HS in the same district. HCHS is a top notch public school in the nation. The parents have the time and sometimes the money to care. THEY ENTER A LOTTERY TO GET IN. They participate fully in the child's education. At Jay during parents night? What? They are working and can't come? Then you have Brandies HS with very educated parents and is top notch as well. No lottery, but socioeconomically upper level. Parents night, loaded, parents parking in neighborhood streets with overflow. SA cops have to PAID TO direct traffic.

The solution... well... you tell me.

Now Boutons will explain how bad my takes are so he does not have to volunteer his time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CBS did tax study helped all three people and they are anti trump

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jobs won't be created

pay won't rise (real household income has been essentially stagnant since St Ronnie was elected)

unemployment won't fall (Fed intentionally kills jobs by raising interest rates, which it will continue to do in 2018). Increasing interest rates increases wealth of bond holders, wealth financed by taxpayers.

the national debt increase will be much larger than the $1.5T, which is the largest estimate I saw.

Huge Repug tax cuts under St Ronnie and dubya didn't work out as sold with the same lies as we've heard in 2017, and neither will this tax cut.

the oligarchy-enriching tax cut, as purchased by the oligarchy from corrupt Repugs, is a huge con, scam, LIE.

When the annual deficits greatly increase due to stagnant wages, jobs, and reduced tax inflows, Ryan and other assholes will screw $100Bs out of Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security.

All that has been accomplished is that the economy is even more rigged for the oligarchy at the expense of the non-oligarchy.

It's a more severe class warfare, looting America and Americans, concentrating/distributing wealth from the bottom to the top.

All the new wealth of any GDP increase will go to the top 10% or even 5%, just as it has since 2009.
    Did you say the stock market would crash win trump got elected?
    Trump created more jobs already then former president even when he was talking to people to get things done on golf courae

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because your gene-defunct kids were too stupid to keep up doesn't make it "sad".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because your gene-defunct kids were too stupid to keep up doesn't make it "sad".
    I was not referring to my kids, Splits. My kids know their math very well - it's one of the main reasons I homeschooled - didn't trust the public schools with that (among other things).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was not referring to my kids, Splits. My kids know their math very well - it's one of the main reasons I homeschooled - didn't trust the public schools with that (among other things).
    Personally I have absolutely no problem with this if your area does not have good education.

I know the kids in my neighborhood wanted to all get one incredibly good 5th grade teacher who excelled at teaching math. I asked their parents to tell me why and if I could see what she was doing and it was quite amazing. Now I know why this teachers kids were in calculus at the HS. I would never have thought of using some of her methods. But of course I'm not trained.

And so it goes. Interested parents, kids heavily involved, good teachers see fertile fields, the US still leads the world in Science and math. Even though we don't shunt the kids to trade school in MS. And we continue to innovate better than any other country. It will come to an end with the disappearance of the middle class and not taking advantage of what every ethnic group has to offer IMO. I see American HS with AP classes and Universities still doing something right.

Just gotta draw from the entire pond available to us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well we need to do this again. Which I have explained to you way back as well as to parents who send their kids to one of the best Classical Christian school in Texas located in Boerne. This is a fantastic school. And not just a Classical school in name, this school is very rigorous, Top notch. I work closely with dad occasionally and have tutored their kid in Physics I AP. I also volunteer atNISD in the summer programs. Have friends that are teachers.

Bottom line is, if we could make more parents and socioeconomic situations like you illustrate, education would be absolutely easy. Basically because, and this is important to fully understand, that the public schools mimic the socioeconomic situation of the surroundings. This includes PARENTS. If you have parents, who have never benefited from education, from a broken family, that can barely make ends meet, good luck with the heirarchy of needs. They are just trying to survive. Education does not directly feed and provide cover from the elements.

I have seen seen the dichotomy in one school district in Texas. Jay HS, with parents and students living in shacks, severely underperform compared to Health Career HS in the same district. HCHS is a top notch public school in the nation. The parents have the time and sometimes the money to care. THEY ENTER A LOTTERY TO GET IN. They participate fully in the child's education. At Jay during parents night? What? They are working and can't come? Then you have Brandies HS with very educated parents and is top notch as well. No lottery, but socioeconomically upper level. Parents night, loaded, parents parking in neighborhood streets with overflow. SA cops have to PAID TO direct traffic.

The solution... well... you tell me.

Now Boutons will explain how bad my takes are so he does not have to volunteer his time.
    Of course, I agree that parental involvement is very important in any child's life/education. But it is not all on parental involvement - I see parents who participate, who go to Open House, school functions, help with fundraising, etc. and their kids still get lost in math. Maybe it's the teachers themselves. In elementary grades at my local school, the teacher teaches almost all academic subjects (except PE, art/music) - instead of specialized subjects like in middle and high schools. How many of the teachers know their math well enough to teach mastery in math at 5th grade level - aren't they mostly education majors who teach elementary schools - not math majors. Imo, that's where kids are getting lost - long before Algebra.

I remember some article we discussed here a long time ago about a principal in a low-income area who had great success turning around her school and one of the things she did was to test her teachers in math a few years ABOVE the grade they were intending to teach (before hiring them). Here in Miami Dade, magnet schools are purposefully placed in not great neighborhoods in the hopes of attracting local kids and lifting their standard of education but even with the close proximity, parents fail to take that extra step to apply into those programs/classes. IMO, it's not so much the socioeconomic situation of the parents but their EXPECTATIONS. Poor, uneducated parents can have kids who succeed academically - even if they themselves can't help their kids, they can emphasize/push kids getting a good education. In the end, though, the ultimate responsibility rests on the student to seek out help - after-school tutoring, internet, Khan Academy, etc. - but they'll only do that if they recognize that education is the way out of poverty (and even that isn't a given these days).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally I have absolutely no problem with this if your area does not have good education.

I know the kids in my neighborhood wanted to all get one incredibly good 5th grade teacher who excelled at teaching math. I asked their parents to tell me why and if I could see what she was doing and it was quite amazing. Now I know why this teachers kids were in calculus at the HS. I would never have thought of using some of her methods. But of course I'm not trained.

And so it goes. Interested parents, kids heavily involved, good teachers see fertile fields, the US still leads the world in Science and math. Even though we don't shunt the kids to trade school in MS. And we continue to innovate better than any other country. It will come to an end with the disappearance of the middle class and not taking advantage of what every ethnic group has to offer IMO. I see American HS with AP classes and Universities still doing something right.

Just gotta draw from the entire pond available to us.
    Actually, my local school has been rated A+ for many years - but I still don't trust them with math up to (and including) Algebra - I'd rather teach them myself (and did).

When you say the US still leads the world in Science and Math - it seems to me that US universities are leading the way with FOREIGN students - not necessarily with Americans. Take a look at your university's graduate program pics/background - seems like majority of foreigners at UF's Mechanical Engineering department. At Google, the PHDs are mostly Indian/Asians while the American-borns are the software engineers with BS degrees.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, my local school has been rated A+ for many years - but I still don't trust them with math up to (and including) Algebra - I'd rather teach them myself (and did).

When you say the US still leads the world in Science and Math - it seems to me that US universities are leading the way with FOREIGN students - not necessarily with Americans. Take a look at your university's graduate program pics/background - seems like majority of foreigners at UF's Mechanical Engineering department. At Google, the PHDs are mostly Indian/Asians while the American-borns are the software engineers with BS degrees.
    Yeah well many those are my cohorts a "few" years back, the science guys and gals. They are largely Americans with faces of color and religions possibly different from yours. Computer science, I can't say. But seeing as the 21st century is the world of life science, I'm glad they are Americans. And no country is better at Science than the US. Hands down our ball.

And cool for you. I should give you an algebra quiz. I personally would not teach my kids Shakespeare or AP government. But if you are equipped for all subjects have a go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, I agree that parental involvement is very important in any child's life/education. But it is not all on parental involvement - I see parents who participate, who go to Open House, school functions, help with fundraising, etc. and their kids still get lost in math. Maybe it's the teachers themselves. In elementary grades at my local school, the teacher teaches almost all academic subjects (except PE, art/music) - instead of specialized subjects like in middle and high schools. How many of the teachers know their math well enough to teach mastery in math at 5th grade level - aren't they mostly education majors who teach elementary schools - not math majors. Imo, that's where kids are getting lost - long before Algebra.

I remember some article we discussed here a long time ago about a principal in a low-income area who had great success turning around her school and one of the things she did was to test her teachers in math a few years ABOVE the grade they were intending to teach (before hiring them). Here in Miami Dade, magnet schools are purposefully placed in not great neighborhoods in the hopes of attracting local kids and lifting their standard of education but even with the close proximity, parents fail to take that extra step to apply into those programs/classes. IMO, it's not so much the socioeconomic situation of the parents but their EXPECTATIONS. Poor, uneducated parents can have kids who succeed academically - even if they themselves can't help their kids, they can emphasize/push kids getting a good education. In the end, though, the ultimate responsibility rests on the student to seek out help - after-school tutoring, internet, Khan Academy, etc. - but they'll only do that if they recognize that education is the way out of poverty (and even that isn't a given these days).
    The parents with low expectations are characteristically those that did not benefit or see no benefit from an education.
    Ask yourself why this happens. You can ease it off as pure lazy, that's easy. I think it has more to do with the parents own experience. We can always point out exceptions, the kid who goes way beyond addict parents, or the rich kid who fails due to parents caring more about their own fun than the kid. "We will pay for the beer party, just leave this house in good shape while we are in Mexico"

But overall, the socioeconomics of the surroundings deeply affect the types of students and teachers and teaching at that school. If you can't see the correlation, I can't help you understand what I see as obvious. And very difficult.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, I agree that parental involvement is very important in any child's life/education. But it is not all on parental involvement - I see parents who participate, who go to Open House, school functions, help with fundraising, etc. and their kids still get lost in math.
    Why is your dumb stalker ass showing up at Open House when you ing hmeschl your re s?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is your dumb stalker ass showing up at Open House when you ing hmeschl your re s?
    I sent them off to high school in 9th grade and they are of different ages so at some time I was homeschooling the younger one(s) while the other(s) were in public school - it's not all or nothing - can be mixed. I'm not stuck only on homeschooling - I used public, private, virtual, online, after-school Spanish program, part-time in addition to homeschooling - to suit each child at different stages.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teaching is mostly a home problem. If the parents don't actively engage in supporting kids, no teacher is gonna be able to move these kids. It doesn't even have to be teaching your kids. Just being engaged with their kids is enough. This is not all kids but the majority.

Thread Information