Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My conclusion is this was a bad headline. I make no assumptions on the intellect or motivations of those involved.
    So either way, your conclusion is that the editors are that bad at their job?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on what the end game is. If it's generating revenue, then no. Dip s like DMC drive traffic to their website with emotional posts like the op. If it's reporting the news accurately without sensationalism, then yeah, editor gets an F.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on what the end game is. If it's generating revenue, then no. Dip s like DMC drive traffic to their website with emotional posts like the op. If it's reporting the news accurately without sensationalism, then yeah, editor gets an F.
    So, you're okay with editors actively manipulating the news?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Headlines?They work with the space they have. I mean in this case the big story is that a three year old got killed at a baptism -- if people jump to the conclusion about what caused the death and feel cheated that it wasn't a shooting or drowning, is that really a concern? If you have 40 characters to describe this story and want viewers to read as much of the story as possible, what would your headline be?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think they manipulated the news. They used a sensational headline to get people to read an accurately reported story. If reporting the news was a public service, I doubt you'd see these types of sensational headlines, but there's a bottom line to worry about and DMC's emotional click is what generates revenue.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, my conclusion is that they made a bad headline.

You are making the conclusion that this bad headline means they are either bad at their jobs or intentionally manipulative.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, my conclusion is that they made a bad headline.

You are making the conclusion that this bad headline means they are either bad at their jobs or intentionally manipulative.
    Actually, my conclusion is that they likely manipulated the news. This stuff wasn't prevalent before shenanigans became the new normal.

But even if they had simply made an error, that would mean they are doing their jobs very poorly. You want to excuse them on both fronts; ah, it's just a mistake <wink-wink>

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, my conclusion is that they likely manipulated the news.
    Of course it is. Surprise level: 0.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Actually, my conclusion is that they likely manipulated the news. This stuff wasn't prevalent before shenanigans became the new normal.

But even if they had simply made an error, that would mean they are doing their jobs very poorly. You want to excuse them on both fronts; ah, it's just a mistake <wink-wink>
    Terrorist fist jab?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, my conclusion is that they likely manipulated the news.
    Also, at this

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're a spurm shield, dude. If FNC had made a headline that reflected poorly on trannies, you wouldn't be callously dismissing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're a spurm shield, dude. If FNC had made a headline that reflected poorly on trannies, you wouldn't be callously dismissing it.

Fox News has more history of intentional manipulation, so you're right, I would probably give them less benefit of the doubt.

Whereas you would be criticizing Fox News here with the same vigor in that scenario, because you are clearly balanced and reasonable.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Terroritst fist jab?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fox News has more history of intentional manipulation, so you're right, I would probably give them less benefit of the doubt.

Whereas you would be criticizing Fox News here with the same vigor in that scenario, because you are clearly balanced and reasonable.
    "more history of intentional manipulation"

CNN does this stuff daily, bro. You've went full hack!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "more history of intentional manipulation"

CNN does this stuff daily, bro. You've went full hack!
    Interesting. Let's repurpose this thread as a place for you to list a misleading CNN headline each day, then.

Since this thread was posted yesterday, you can post today's misleading CNN headline any time you want.

I look forward to keeping up with your progress.

(Just kidding, you won't and I don't care.)

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. Let's repurpose this thread as a place for you to list a misleading CNN headline each day, then.

Since this thread was posted yesterday, you can post today's misleading CNN headline any time you want.

I look forward to keeping up with your progress.

(Just kidding, you won't and I don't care.)
    Obviously, I speak of their fake news culture, not just headlines.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, I speak of their fake news culture, not just headlines.
    Obviously.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I don't think they manipulated the news. They used a sensational headline to get people to read an accurately reported story. If reporting the news was a public service, I doubt you'd see these types of sensational headlines, but there's a bottom line to worry about and DMC's emotional click is what generates revenue.
    Correct.

This is certainly not an example of "Fake news".

Theres a great "Planet money" podcast in which they interview a fake news writer. Fake stories, fake names, fake online newspaper etc. He was making good money during the election writing absurd anti-Hillary stories. He tried anti-Trump stories but they didnt get the clicks.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/20...fake-news-king

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Correct.

This is certainly not an example of "Fake news".

Theres a great "Planet money" podcast in which they interview a fake news writer. Fake stories, fake names, fake online newspaper etc. He was making good money during the election writing absurd anti-Hillary stories. He tried anti-Trump stories but they didnt get the clicks.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/20...fake-news-king
    Of course it's fake news. People don't have time to read every news story; they often just take in headlines. This is not a secret to news orgs.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Of course it's fake news. People don't have time to read every news story; they often just take in headlines. This is not a secret to news orgs.
    So their takeaway from that headline would be that a three year old died at a baptism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CNN has a known anti-Baptism agenda.

That's why we call it Catholic News Network.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Headlines?They work with the space they have. I mean in this case the big story is that a three year old got killed at a baptism -- if people jump to the conclusion about what caused the death and feel cheated that it wasn't a shooting or drowning, is that really a concern? If you have 40 characters to describe this story and want viewers to read as much of the story as possible, what would your headline be?
    Three month old. That's the hook. Why would it be more news that a three month old died then it would that the other 11 people died? Why during a baptism? Why not say that they died when the roof collapsed? You know the answer to all of these you're just a prick like always. It's a sensationalist headline and then when you read the actual story you go oh they died during the earthquake well no .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So their takeaway from that headline would be that a three year old died at a baptism.
    You know I gave you the benefit of the doubt the first time you ed that up but now I realize you're just re ed. The goddamn headline says 3 months and you somehow change that to three-years, Mr narrative insertion tool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 year old dies after drinking milk from HEB

A family of four including a 4 year old boy was killed today in a car accident on Interstate 10 between Houston and San Antonio. It's believed that the four year old boy drank milk earlier purchased from HEB.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is it fake

Thread Information