Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we getting ready to witness a major shift in our approach? Will LMA play the majority of his minutes at the 5? I've been hoping we see Gay playing the 4 and on the court with Kawhi, and Bertans and Kyle can potentially do the same. With only Gasol and Lauvergne as tradition bigs, are the days of LMA at the 4 going to be limited? Times they are a'changing.....maybe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is this a major shift? He's been playing the 5 a lot since joining the Spurs and I imagine he'll continue to do so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is this a major shift? He's been playing the 5 a lot since joining the Spurs and I imagine he'll continue to do so.
    He's been playing the 5 some,but not primarily. He was either playing with Dedmon or Gasol a lot of the time. I guess another way to look at it is ask if our small ball minutes will go up considerably. I've been thinking he might start with LMA playing with Gasol, but might not play as much with two traditional bigs as we've often done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too soft.

And I thought Rudy said he's gonna be a gun off the bench?

It'll happen at times, but can't see it happening much more than it already has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too soft.

And I thought Rudy said he's gonna be a gun off the bench?

It'll happen at times, but can't see it happening much more than it already has.
    They've got 3 bigs, and 1 of which likely won't play much. With LMA/Pau as the only true bigs vs last year with those 2 + Dedmon, Lee, and even Anthony, it seems more small ball is very likely

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure. I also think it, among others, was a reason that LMA asked for a trade. He's accepted his new role bc he has to. He originally wanted out.

Anyways it may help his game if Pop's adjustments work out and he may end up better than last season.
    Or he may not like it, still remain dissatisfied and move on. I am hoping things work out bc Spurs have been missing out on FA recently and they have to maximize what they have as a team. All these guards are meant to increase versatility and playmaking too which should help LMA who is not a playmaker and needs more around him (specially bc if rest and injuries to the old dudes).
    Last edited by SAGirl; 09-26-2017 at 08:16 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the type of players Spurs are signing this off season, for sure Spurs are running it. LMA will be playing 5 most nights, and 4 with Pau depending on the matchup. OKC/Clips/Pel can go big.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Warriors, Rockets, and Thunder will all be starting perimeter-oriented PFs. Aldridge might prefer playing the 5 than having to keep up with Draymond/Ryan Anderson/Carmelo.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should get in shape.

Thanks.

Also this makes sense.

The Warriors, Rockets, and Thunder will all be starting perimeter-oriented PFs. Aldridge might prefer playing the 5 than having to keep up with Draymond/Ryan Anderson/Carmelo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still a puss

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the SL stays the same with Murray being subbed in for Parker. Gasol plays the first five minutes of each half at center while LMA plays the first eight minutes of each half ( 5 minutes at PF and 3 at C). Aldridge then slides over to the five and plays the final 8 minutes of each half at Center.

Gasol 26 MPG ( all at center)

Aldridge 32 MPG ( 10 at PF/ 22 at C)

Gay 28 MPG ( all at PF, final 7 minutes of each quarter)

Bertans 10 MPG ( all at PF, first 5 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarter)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rather us go big with gay or kawhi at the 2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the type of players Spurs are signing this off season, for sure Spurs are running it. LMA will be playing 5 most nights, and 4 with Pau depending on the matchup. OKC/Clips/Pel can go big.
    Don't know why the Thunder are among those teams with Westbrook-Roberson-George-Melo-Adams likely being their SL. The Clips and Pelicans are the only teams that can really play big and hurts teams

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the SL stays the same with Murray being subbed in for Parker. Gasol plays the first five minutes of each half at center while LMA plays the first eight minutes of each half ( 5 minutes at PF and 3 at C). Aldridge then slides over to the five and plays the final 8 minutes of each half at Center.

Gasol 26 MPG ( all at center)

Aldridge 32 MPG ( 10 at PF/ 22 at C)

Gay 28 MPG ( all at PF, final 7 minutes of each quarter)

Bertans 10 MPG ( all at PF, first 5 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarter)
    This is about what I'm thinking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure. I also think it, among others, was a reason that LMA asked for a trade. He's accepted his new role bc he has to. He originally wanted out.

Anyways it may help his game if Pop's adjustments work out and he may end up better than last season.
    Or he may not like it, still remain dissatisfied and move on. I am hoping things work out bc Spurs have been missing out on FA recently and they have to maximize what they have as a team. All these guards are meant to increase versatility and playmaking too which should help LMA who is not a playmaker and needs more around him (specially bc if rest and injuries to the old dudes).
    This is really interesting to me because there was speculation about LMA being unhappy here and statements he doesn't like playing the 5. I've just never heard it from him, so I wonder. I agree he will end up likely having a better season with the likely adjustments like you say. Also as Seventniner was saying, he surely doesn't want to be chasing a bunch of guys around the perimeter. His defense was pretty great last year and I expect improvement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Aldridge is unhappy playing the 5, then he better retire because he has no more place in the NBA playing the 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Aldridge is unhappy playing the 5, then he better retire because he has no more place in the NBA playing the 4.
    Why would he be unhappy? Playing the 5 now is pretty much like playing the 5 four years ago. Seems fairly common now for for SFs and PFs to slide up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A big man that loves to shoot outside. Wasn't he a 5 last year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only real position in the nba is the 1, and that is slowly fading away.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could really extend his career is he plays the 5, especially if his fat ass gets in shape (no offense to LMA if he's out of shape because of the heart condition).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah hopefully Aldridge has gotten the over it because most of the spurs best lineups will be with him at C. And with the NBA trending smaller and smaller with traditional low post players being virtually extinct these days it shouldn't even be a big deal. Its obvious spurs best lineups will feature LMA at the 5 with Gay/Bertans/Anderson next to him at the PF spot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Olajuwon would still thrive in todays NBA.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would he be unhappy?
    I don't know. Those are the reports.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah hopefully Aldridge has gotten the over it because most of the spurs best lineups will be with him at C. And with the NBA trending smaller and smaller with traditional low post players being virtually extinct these days it shouldn't even be a big deal. Its obvious spurs best lineups will feature LMA at the 5 with Gay/Bertans/Anderson next to him at the PF spot
    Agree!

Thread Information