Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ultimate troll job if he kneels next week tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    To protest the NFL for allowing the Kaepernick style protests, NFL fans are buying $100 NFL jerseys of a guy who said Kaepernick is brave.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The boycott seems to be going well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in' racist right OP reps are tripping all over demselves

Trump's NFL attacks set record on Breitbart

After breaking with him on other issues, Trump's alt-right media supporters rally around his criticism of football protests.

By JASON SCHWARTZ 09/25/2017 01:53 PM EDT

President Donald Trump’s repeated broadsides against professional athletes dominated the news over the weekend, with pundits from ESPN to CNN to Fox News questioning the wisdom of his statements. But the story was sharply different on leading right-wing news sites, where Trump’s attacks on players like Stephen Curry and Colin Kaepernick received not just huge attention but acclaim.

Breitbart Editor-in-Chief Alexander Marlow said metrics indicated that a Sunday morning post on the topic by the site’s Facebook account had greater reach than any post in Breitbart history.

“There is an unbelievable amount of interest,” Marlow said on Sunday night. “I’m looking at my 10 or 11 top stories now, and maybe 7 of them are NFL related.”

“This is the radicalization of the NFL right now,” he said. “It's being encouraged by the media, it's being encouraged by Hollywood and I don’t think that people, at least if the comments and the phone calls to Breitbart are any reflection, I don’t think they like it. They just want neutrality, they don’t want politics in football games.”

With the president facing potential setbacks on a number of fronts, his seemingly out of the blue call for protesting athletes to lose their jobs represents the type of cultural issue capable of rallying his conservative base. Breitbart has opposed the president with greater frequency of late—particularly in Alabama’s senate special election—so the NFL issue provided an opportunity for Trump to remind supporters of why they like him.

The Alabama election may have received the top headline spot on Breitbart for much of Sunday, but as games rolled on throughout the day, from the Ravens and Jaguars’ morning kickoff in London through the Washington-Oakland tilt in primetime, Breitbart’s homepage was loaded with NFL stories. One typical headline read: “NFL snowflakes melt: coaches and owners join massive anti-Trump protest—in U.K.”

The story had nearly 33,000 comments as of early Monday afternoon, tens of thousands more than any other non-sports related story currently on the site’s homepage.

“A lot of people know Andrew Breitbart for his quote, politics is downstream from culture, so the cultural issues that fold in the politics tend to be utterly explosive in terms of the interest level from our readers,” Marlow said.

That level of interest appeared to be consistent across other right-leaning sites. The issue received top billing on Drudge Report, Infowars and The Daily Caller, where the lead story most of the day focused on Alejandro Villanueva, a former Army Ranger who served in Afghanistan and was the only Pittsburgh Steeler to emerge from the locker room for the national anthem.

Five of The Daily Caller’s top 10 stories were NFL related, according to Geoffrey Ingersoll, the site’s editor-in-chief. He believed the NFL story attracted readers simply because of its news value, but also because, “I think we've seen a steady encroachment of politics into once pristine places. This creep has been occurring in sports for a long time, and it seems to be hitting a crescendo of sorts.”

Villanueva’s story—with its military connections—was featured prominently on other sites, like The Gateway Pundit, as well. The site also ran headlines, including: “UNREAL. NFL Players stand for “God save the Queen” and kneel for US National Anthem in London” and “President Trump continues to slam anti-cop NFL for allowing players to disrespect flag and country.”

“Our readers are very upset about these continued anthem protests,” emailed Jim Hoft, the founder of The Gateway Pundit. “It is all people talked about.” triggered snowflakes
    Marlow said that whenever Breitbart covers the protests by NFL players on its website or Sirius radio shows, no topic elicits more comments or call-ins. Social media engagement over the weekend was also through the roof.

The text of the Breitbart Facebook post that went viral reads: “Dear NFL: We will not support millionaire ingrates who hate America and disrespect our Armed Forces and Veterans. Who wins a football game has ZERO impact on our lives. Who fights for and defends our nation has EVERY impact on our lives. We stand with the Heroes, not a bunch of rich, en led, arrogant, ungrateful, anti-American degenerates. Signed, We the People.” holy

As of Monday afternoon, the post had racked up more than half a million shares, more than 260,000 reactions, and 21,000 comments.

Marlow believes that his audience’s strong reaction is driven by a desire to see sports and politics clearly separated from each other. “So much of America is politicized,” he said, “why sports too? And that's the question that the audience is asking most right now.”

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Villanueva doesn't get a penny of those jersey sales. It all goes to support the league you dumb s are supposed to be boycotting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "millionaire ingrates"

aka

uppity knitters who need to get back down in place and keep bowing to The Man and his murderous polices forces.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    "millionaire ingrates"

aka

uppity knitters who need to get back down in place and keep bowing to The Man and his murderous polices forces.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Off topic but why is CK the only white man in the country that's allowed to say ****** without anyone caring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soon to be top returned jersey

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

This is the same kind of empathy and self-examination that make Trump the greatest president in US history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    poor guy

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    He knew exactly what he was doing. They're going to spin it as some unintentional mistake, but he knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Too bad he's too chicken to stand by it, I'd respect that a lot more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    and somehow he "accidentally" walked out just far enough to get all the attention.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Why didn't they just all go out to midfield and worship Trump?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sounds like Mike Tomlin gave him a good talking to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He knew exactly what he was doing. They're going to spin it as some unintentional mistake, but he knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Too bad he's too chicken to stand by it, I'd respect that a lot more.

What is it you think he was doing?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah, the black man must've threatened him.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Off topic but why is CK the only white man in the country that's allowed to say ****** without anyone caring.
    He's a Mexican

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the coach must've lectured him.
    fify

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information