Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    What is it you think he was doing?
    You think he just mistakenly stood 20 feet in front of his teammates, like they're trying to spin it? What he did had nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with egotism. If it was done out of patriotism, he wouldn't be backtracking like a big pussy today.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Why would a black man have to lecture him before he made his statement? You don't think he can reflect on his own actions and talk about it himself?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and somehow he "accidentally" walked out just far enough to get all the attention.
    Teammates were supposed to be behind him. They stopped short

PITTSBURGH -- Alejandro Villanueva wasn't supposed to stand alone at the end of the tunnel for the national anthem on Sunday, Steelers captains Ben Roethlisberger and Cameron Heyward said on Monday.

Roethlisberger said that they asked Villanueva -- a West Point graduate who served three tours in Afghanistan as an Army Ranger -- to stand at the front with the captains for the national anthem. Originally, the entire team was supposed to gather at the end of the tunnel where Villanueva stood.

But Roethlisberger said the players were separated when they came out of the locker room by a crowd of people leaving the field. Villanueva was ahead of the group and continued to the mouth of the tunnel, Roethlisberger said, while the rest of the players stopped walking when the anthem started to play.

"We stopped to show respect for the anthem," Roethlisberger said. "I was talking to Cam, I regret not going down to Al. But Al didn't know that we weren't there. He thought we were standing with him. So, there was no division there.

"We were 20 feet behind him. You can see the picture, we're standing there. When the anthem started, out of habit, you stop and take your hat of. You wait. I wish today that we probably would've continued down. I know there would've been a lot of chaos or commotion because the guys behind us wouldn't have known what was going on but there was no division."

Heyward confirmed that Villanueva was at the Steelers' team meeting on Monday where they discussed Sunday's events. He said the team never had any intention of making it seem like Villanueva was standing alone.

"We never want to single one person out," Heyward said. "We never want to leave one man behind. I know it looked like that in that picture and we wanted to make sure we reached out to Al personally. We didn't ever want to make him feel like we didn't have his back."

Heyward didn't want to speak for Villanueva, but he did say Villanueva was shocked by the picture.

"He never wants to feel like he's an outsider or the center of attention," Heyward said. "I think he'll speak more on that later, at a different time."

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Teammates were supposed to be behind him. They stopped short
    Yeah, and I solid gold nuggets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think he just mistakenly stood 20 feet in front of his teammates, like they're trying to spin it? What he did had nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with egotism.
    So dumb

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It just sounds like they're all trying to cover for each other at this point. It's cute tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the stupid that americans worry about

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    editing my post. The dude exploited a situation for some easy national praise, only to realize he had a bunch of pissed off teammates, and instead of doubling down on " the troops " he backed off like a big ing pussy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    editing my post. The dude exploited a situation for some easy national praise, only to realize he had a bunch of pissed off teammates, and instead of doubling down on " the troops " he backed off like a big ing pussy.
    Why would a bunch of teammates be pissed?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Don't be purposely obtuse.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Why would his coach lecture him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Villanueva doesn't get a penny of those jersey sales. It all goes to support the league you dumb s are supposed to be boycotting.
    I am boycotting it, by taking a knee while watching it. Seems to be a valid protest method around here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, we got the "catch the bag of grain before the warlord in the technicals kill us" game figured out already.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    "Hey guys, let's do the big show of solidarity that we all discussed and agreed to do together 100% as a team!"

"I changed my mind at the last minute and don't want to do it. I'm also also going to make sure every camera in the building can see me."

"Sounds good, we have no reason to be upset about that!"

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I am boycotting it, by taking a knee while watching it. Seems to be a valid protest method around here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, we got the "catch the bag of grain before the warlord in the technicals kill us" game figured out already.
    Yup real life and death situations tbqh

Thats why Once the empire crumbles the obese americans will be the first to go. Soft es

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It just sounds like they're all trying to cover for each other at this point. It's cute tbh.
    So do you think the picture showing the rest of the team in the standing in the tunnel respecting the anthem is fake or do you think he was like you guys ima run out 15 feet in front of you es.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So do you think the picture showing the rest of the team in the standing in the tunnel respecting the anthem is fake or do you think he was like you guys ima run out 15 feet in front of you es.
    I think they were off the field like they planned except for one dude who apologized for not sticking to the plan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they were off the field like they planned except for one dude who apologized for not sticking to the plan.
    So he deliberately ran ahead?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He knew exactly what he was doing. They're going to spin it as some unintentional mistake, but he knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Too bad he's too chicken to stand by it, I'd respect that a lot more.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uhhh...

You mean your guy Trump.

Meanwhile, I'm definitely gonna start watching cars go endlessly around a track I'm so pissed off. Sure....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AV regrets betraying his team.

anyway, his name tells white supremacists that he's not a real American

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So he deliberately ran ahead?
    Why the else would he be that far removed from his teammates?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Did you actually find something amusing, or are you just semen shielding?

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    What on earth are we going to do when we're all mixraced?

Thread Information