Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can't properly evaluate DJ until he gets consistent playing time. Pop needs to stop ing around and let him play.
    He does but he also doesn't. Just as he owes it to Murray to give him a real shot, he owes it to Forbes, Paul and White to give them a fair shot. DeJounte has the most upside, but when you're talking about starting for the third-seventh best team in the league, you need more than that. I happy not to see a Miller or even a Laprativolla this time, but they have three other young guards

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once Parker is back

Tony
    Danny
    Kawhi
    LMA
    Gasol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PG: Manu/Patty depending on the opponent
    SG: Manu/Danny depending on the opponent
    SF: Kawhi
    PF: Manu/Gasol depending on the opponent
    C: LaMarcus Aldridge

Hopefully Poop sticks to this for the whole season, sans the few games of rest, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really don't see Gasol starting. If Pop were truly planning on two bigs, he'd've picked up more legit bigs in the off-season. You can say what you want about staggering minutes, but he'd still have to change the proclivities of the offense and defense in case of rest or injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'll post mine on october 18th

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think he will play those two together some. I could be wrong and wouldn't mind it at all. More potential minutes for one of Kyle or Davis, both of whom I like.

I don't want to be the one to get the aneurysm when Pop does decide to play his traditional lineups. I'd love it I was wrong actually. I have become too jaded about Pop.

Also, I'd love it if Dijon was so good he put all this talk about him to rest, and there would be no contest bc he's so good that he makes it clear he's the best player among all the young guards But that would be setting myself up for disappointment and maybe putting an unrealistic expectation on his shoulders. I am expecting a more gradual improvement from him.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well no one really...just some poster named tmtcsc so far. That said the only camp battles that are going to mean anything this year is Bertans v Kyle & DJ V Forbes

we know that Pop has not promised the starting spot to anyone yet because DJ was asked point blank in his presser yesterday.

This can only mean it will be made clear at some point during or after camp once they have been evaluated. On that fact alone you have to give him at least a slight chance (maybe 10%) to win the spot?

Like i said though in the post above, even if Forbes outplays DJ in camp i would still prefer to start Murray regardless to get him as much playing time as possible while TP is out.

He has the higher ceiling, is younger and we need to fast-track his development so we can find out if he will be a long term running mate during Kawhi's prime years.

Especially since this year is looking more and more like a throw away season....i almost wish TP was out an extra month or two then scheduled.

Also if DJ wins the starting spot i think Kawhi will have more chances to develop his point forward skills & initiate the offense.

i don't have anything to support that though. its just a gut feeling because he improves every year has ticked every other box aside from play-making at a high level. What better time to experiment with point forward then when TP is out and our starting 1 is a scorer?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once Parker is back

Tony
    Danny
    Kawhi
    LMA
    Gasol
    That sig is gonna be perfect next summer.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting
    DJ/ Green/ Kawhi/ Kyle/ Aldridge

Bench
    Patty/ Manu/ Gay/ Bertans/ Gasol

Closing:
    Patty/ Manu/ Kawhi/ Gay/ Aldridge

My defense...
    I think if DJ shows he can play solid like he did in the playoffs that's enough to start him because ideally you want Mills to continue his role off the bench and playing w/ Manu and Pau, and against lesser players. You don't owe him anything after that contract tbh. He can come off the bench and be the good guy you call when the young kid isn't playing right.

Everybody wants DJ to play well. Everyone appears to be aware of his potential and talent and I think he'll get the nod imho.

As for Kyle, I just feel he's put in the time to have a real role for once and is about over due. He's next in line and should get his opportunity for all he's done, as far as being professional and just doing what he's been told. In the playoffs and for awhile he's done really well playing the small ball four and has shown to be an above average defender, and although a little gimmicky, he's got length.

I think you have to keep Pau on the bench. I really hope Pop doesn't have to learn that lesson again. LMA and Pau don't work well together and I don't want to see that to start the season again when we already know how that will end. Once again, I don't think you owe him anything after that contract. He can play whatever role Pop gives him and just be happy he's not playing for some scrub team for the mid level exception tbh.

Also if you start Pau you are guaranteeing minutes to Joff and I don't think he's next in line for minutes. For example Bertans and Kyle should have first dibs and if Pau starts one of them lose minutes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really don't see Gasol starting. If Pop were truly planning on two bigs, he'd've picked up more legit bigs in the off-season. You can say what you want about staggering minutes, but he'd still have to change the proclivities of the offense and defense in case of rest or injury.
    Not necessarily. Spurs long ago blurred the lines between a clear starting lineup and a true rotation. Ginobili and third big of the moment have always subbed in 5-7 minutes into the 1st and 3rd quarters and Mills has joined them in recent seasons.

Starting or not, Gasol's playing some next to Aldridge. It's the only way to get them enough minutes based on their abilities, to justify their contracts, as well as keep their egos in check. If it's the first 6 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters, the last 6 of each or multiple shorter segments throughout the half, one way or another, it's happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not necessarily. Spurs long ago blurred the lines between a clear starting lineup and a true rotation. Ginobili and third big of the moment have always subbed in 5-7 minutes into the 1st and 3rd quarters and Mills has joined them in recent seasons.

Starting or not, Gasol's playing some next to Aldridge. It's the only way to get them enough minutes based on their abilities, to justify their contracts, as well as keep their egos in check. If it's the first 6 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters, the last 6 of each or multiple shorter segments throughout the half, one way or another, it's happening.
    They only blurred so much. Manu played starter's minutes, but had he started, guys like Green or Mills would have been hard pressed to get roles. Manu and Tony could awkwardly share the court together. That was just about adjusting their games. But had Manu started, then you'd have at best Mills and Parker together or Mills and Green. Both of those are at least unideal. In a perfect world, you can balance it perfectly. But in practice, you end up with The Turd Towers getting minutes when you could have easily kept them separate on paper.

Let's say you have Pau, LMA, Gay and Bertans as the four bigs. You start the first two, bring in Gay for Pau, Then you bring back Pau for LMA, then Bertans for Gay. That would be how it would work ideally. But you either get someone staying too late or leaving to early for whatever reason (fatigue, foul trouble, injury), and you get TTs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They only blurred so much. Manu played starter's minutes, but had he started, guys like Green or Mills would have been hard pressed to get roles. Manu and Tony could awkwardly share the court together. That was just about adjusting their games. But had Manu started, then you'd have at best Mills and Parker together or Mills and Green. Both of those are at least unideal. In a perfect world, you can balance it perfectly. But in practice, you end up with The Turd Towers getting minutes when you could have easily kept them separate on paper.

Let's say you have Pau, LMA, Gay and Bertans as the four bigs. You start the first two, bring in Gay for Pau, Then you bring back Pau for LMA, then Bertans for Gay. That would be how it would work ideally. But you either get someone staying too late or leaving to early for whatever reason (fatigue, foul trouble, injury), and you get TTs.
    In practice, it might sound simple, but in reality, it's not that easy to keep them separate. Politics play a big part in professional sports (whether it would be best for the team or not, Gasol's ego is too big to accept roughly 16 mpg and his contract would look even more bloated if that were the plan) and Aldridge and Gasol sharing the court for about 12 mpg, however awkward it may be, isn't killing them against most teams and the ones it would, as I've said, we probably won't see it against.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're right. DJ has to start. Anything else would be a minor meltdown and i hope he gets minutes to play through his struggles instead of a quick hook if he makes some mistakes.

Forbes/paul/white starting over DJ makes no sense at all now that i have thought some more.

Someone else was talking about Forbes vs Paul and that it is very close battle. I haven't seen the latter play in games.

You need to change the 4 in your line-up to one of Anderson/Gay/Bertans
    Last edited by ceds; 09-29-2017 at 07:50 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting
    DJ/ Green/ Kawhi/ Kyle/ Aldridge

Bench
    Patty/ Manu/ Gay/ Bertans/ Gasol

Closing:
    Patty/ Manu/ Kawhi/ Gay/ Aldridge

My defense...
    I think if DJ shows he can play solid like he did in the playoffs that's enough to start him because ideally you want Mills to continue his role off the bench and playing w/ Manu and Pau, and against lesser players. You don't owe him anything after that contract tbh. He can come off the bench and be the good guy you call when the young kid isn't playing right.

Everybody wants DJ to play well. Everyone appears to be aware of his potential and talent and I think he'll get the nod imho.

As for Kyle, I just feel he's put in the time to have a real role for once and is about over due. He's next in line and should get his opportunity for all he's done, as far as being professional and just doing what he's been told. In the playoffs and for awhile he's done really well playing the small ball four and has shown to be an above average defender, and although a little gimmicky, he's got length.

I think you have to keep Pau on the bench. I really hope Pop doesn't have to learn that lesson again. LMA and Pau don't work well together and I don't want to see that to start the season again when we already know how that will end. Once again, I don't think you owe him anything after that contract. He can play whatever role Pop gives him and just be happy he's not playing for some scrub team for the mid level exception tbh.

Also if you start Pau you are guaranteeing minutes to Joff and I don't think he's next in line for minutes. For example Bertans and Kyle should have first dibs and if Pau starts one of them lose minutes.
    Really good post.
    Thanks for putting in the time.
    I always appreciate your contributions.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're right. DJ has to start. Anything else would be a minor meltdown and i hope he gets minutes to play through his struggles instead of a quick hook if he makes some mistakes.

Forbes/paul/white starting over DJ makes no sense at all now that i have thought some more.

Someone else was talking about Forbes vs Paul and that it is very close battle. I haven't seen the latter play in games.

You need to change the 4 in your line-up to one of Anderson/Gay/Bertans
    Keep it up rook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I guess we'll find out on 10/18. I don't think Pop is going to be afraid of hurting anyone's feelings. He's a coach not their pal. It's going to be interesting. To

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see many people mentioning Joffrey will only play garbage time minutes. You guys are wrong. He's better than just your average garbage time player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see many people mentioning Joffrey will only play garbage time minutes. You guys are wrong. He's better than just your average garbage time player.
    He played well in the scrimmage and seems to have surprised everyone. He's looked good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can manu not play center?
    yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate the idea of Gasol starting. Even if Pop wants to go to big, he should go with Lauvergne. And if Joff ends up not being starting quality, then he wasn't going to hold down a bench role either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate the idea of Gasol starting. Even if Pop wants to go to big, he should go with Lauvergne. And if Joff ends up not being starting quality, then he wasn't going to hold down a bench role either.
    I admit I didn't like it either, but as you know I expected it due to the teams politics (the egos and big contract handed out to Gasol). It might even have been the worst performing line-up, bc it looked like Gasol was coasting the entire game. Kawhi not playing made it so even less can be assumed other than watching the younger player's improvement. It's difficult to tell the proportion of time they will play together but the should have dominated a team with Davis and Lauvergne in their frontcourt and as you know they didn't. But again, maybe the entire thing is a tryout for the younger Spurs and the few compe ions going on about playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Going with the league trend LMA, Gay, Kawhi, Danny and Murray should start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1st
    LMA
    Gay
    Kawhi
    Verde
    TP

2nd
    Pau
    Kyle
    Manu
    DJ
    Patty

3rd
    Joffrey
    Bertans
    Paul
    Forbes
    White

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is that the starting rotation will change after 10 games and Pop sorts it out based on performance as units. That takes some time and minutes.

Thread Information