My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Have never played or watched someone play a ps4. I have owned every PS console up to the 3 at one point, usually very late in the lifespan of that generation. My boys are almost 9 and 6 and dammit, i want to steal some cars, crash and take a baseball bat to pedestrians in GTA once in a while. Youtube video's of PS4 games look amazing however, i wouldn't mind jumping on the next gen train as soon as its released this time. PS5 is rumored to be at least a year or two away yet, correct? never cared for xbox based on the fact that the ps exclusive les but at this point do i wait for the next gen console? Is there any advancements to be had from the ps4?

Not interested in computer gaming. My boys want to be able to play madden with the simplicity of a console.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Just get a PS4 pro and trade it in towards a PS5 whenever it comes out

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PS4 will be the last console I'll own.

They're getting too ridiculous with all the constant new and "improved" consoles releasing every 6 months. They''ve gone Apple with it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have never played or watched someone play a ps4. I have owned every PS console up to the 3 at one point, usually very late in the lifespan of that generation. My boys are almost 9 and 6 and dammit, i want to steal some cars, crash and take a baseball bat to pedestrians in GTA once in a while. Youtube video's of PS4 games look amazing however, i wouldn't mind jumping on the next gen train as soon as its released this time. PS5 is rumored to be at least a year or two away yet, correct? never cared for xbox based on the fact that the ps exclusive les but at this point do i wait for the next gen console? Is there any advancements to be had from the ps4?

Not interested in computer gaming. My boys want to be able to play madden with the simplicity of a console.
    I don't expect a PS5 until AMD is getting their chips fabricated at 7 nm, which is really hard to see happening before late 2019. Their fab (Global Foundries) just hit 12 nm but everyone is way behind schedule trying to hit 10 nm, much less 7 nm. So it could be 2020 before you start seeing mass produced 7 nm chips.

Until these chips start being manufactured at 7 nm process size I don't see either console manufacturer able to do a big generational jump at a cost low enough to sell for a reasonable launch price (eg $300 to $400). To give an idea how important the process size is, the PS4 was originally manufactured on 28 nm chips and they just barely made a profit selling at $400 at launch. Once they got that shrunk to 14 nm for the PS4 Slim in late summer 2016 they could make a profit selling at $250. And the shrink to 14 nm meant they could sell the PS4 Pro for $400 with a gpu on par with the GTX 780 which was $500 at the time of the PS4 launch and consumed twice as much power. If you tried to do the PS4 Pro in late 2013 at 28 nm it would have been a $800 space heater way bigger than the original XBone and much louder than the original XBox 360.

I would expect a nice price cut on PS4 Slim this December. Last December Sony did a price cut to $250 from $300 that the PS4 Slim 500GB originally sold for, and it pretty much stayed at $250 in stores until they retired the model in favor of the PS4 Slim 1TB. Now that's $300 and I imagine it'll get an official price cut to $250. But if it's $250 MSRP you'll find places selling it for $220 to $230 (I paid $220 for my PS4 Slim last December). I imagine they'll do a game bundle for PS4 Pro at $400 this December with a first party le like Uncharted Lost Legacy or Horizon Zero Dawn. At $500 I don't think the XBox One X will sell well enough to force a price cut on the PS4 Pro.

PS4 is a great system and 2017 has been an amazing year for it. I'd highly recommend picking one up since we're 2-4 years out from PS5. NieR Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, blade Senua's Sacrifice, and Nioh are all excellent games that XBone doesn't get.

Then Bloodborne is a can't miss game, and is really cheap since it's two years old now. I think it's the best game I have played since either Skyrim in 2011 or Zelda: A Link to the Past in 1991 (kind of a coin flip on whether I like Bloodborne or Skyrim better). Non exclusive games that are highly worth playing include GTA V, The Witcher 3, Dying Light The Following Enhanced Edition, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dark Souls III, Fallout 4, and Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain. My top 5 games on the system would probably be:

1. Bloodborne
    2. NieR Automata
    3. Dying Light
    4. The Witcher 3
    5. GTA V

If you're looking for the best prices on games check https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Deals/
    Last edited by baseline bum; 10-06-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just get a PS4 pro and trade it in towards a PS5 whenever it comes out
    I don't know man, Sony has a really bad track record on backward compatibility. I guess you could point out the PS4 cpu being way too weak to properly emulate the PS3's Cell processor, which is a fair point. But I bet PS5 will make you buy your old PS3 and PS4 games again just like PS4 does with PS1 and PS2. And PS4 has too many awesome games to just get rid of your system for a lousy $100 off your PS5 purchase IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They're getting too ridiculous with all the constant new and "improved" consoles releasing every 6 months. They''ve gone Apple with it.
    Not just the consoles, the games too. New DLC, but you got to pay for it. Want to upgrade, you buy that too.

I dont really have time to game like I used to. Even at that, I was never actually a big big gamer. And most of my new consoles just sit there.

But I'll be damned, I bought the SNES Classic and have been playing it pretty much every night with my kids. It's just simple and fun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just the consoles, the games too. New DLC, but you got to pay for it.
    The nickel and diming of video games has been going on for years now. And yes, it's annoying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why not goto mater race and game with a controller?

how about when the ps4 came and the Logitech g27 wheels and before it wasn't backward compatible, and u had to upgrade buy a new wheel or buy a stupid adapter for the ps4.... yeh the new wheel 920 costs like around 200-250bucks, but no way I'm spending that much to upgrade a wheel...

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

I stopped at the PS3. It pisses me off that game makers focus more and more on graphics and mini movies, and less on gameplay.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    why not goto mater race and game with a controller?

how about when the ps4 came and the Logitech g27 wheels and before it wasn't backward compatible, and u had to upgrade buy a new wheel or buy a stupid adapter for the ps4.... yeh the new wheel 920 costs like around 200-250bucks, but no way I'm spending that much to upgrade a wheel...
    I was disappointed with Gran Tourismo 5, and it was why I bought the PS3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    12 more current gen versions to release before we talk PS5

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Can't have nice things because you just steal them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I stopped at the PS3. It pisses me off that game makers focus more and more on graphics and mini movies, and less on gameplay.
    Gotta dig for some gems, like Divinity Original Sin II

Thread Information