Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    one of the least talked about things in the NBA tbh.. everyone is ting on Griffin's inability to take the next step, but not him for some reason. this in 2015 was ranked 2nd overall by ESPN, over Steph ing Curry, and was also picked by some on this site as the successor to Lebron

his stats past 3 years

PER
    2015: 30.8
    2016: 25.0
    2017: 27.5

BPM
    2015: 7.1
    2016: 2.2
    2017: 3.7

RPM (much better indicator of value than any other statistic)
    2015: 8.18
    2016: 1.92
    2017: 4.35

What went wrong sons?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got paid

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Ridiculous that Blake has had the "overrated" label his entire career, well past the point where he could actually be overrated by definition, while Davis just keeps getting a free pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ridiculous that Blake has had the "overrated" label his entire career, well past the point where he could actually be overrated by definition, while Davis just keeps getting a free pass.
    A healthy Brake was a legit top 7 talent and once upon a time playd like one of the top 5 players in the NBA.

Dude is underrated. If he can stay healthy the clips might surprise a a lot of people.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Laughable post. Unibrow >>> Bonnie Griffin. Drinking early, eh?

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Laughable post. Unibrow >>> Bonnie Griffin. Drinking early, eh?
    I didn't say Blake was better. Just that Davis gets a free pass for not living up to his potential.

I will say this, though: a healthy Blake has finished top 3 in MVP voting. Has Davis ever done that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake destroyed us in that one playoffs where TD got that phantom call against CP3 to clinch the series for the Clips. Guys was hitting step back 3s and .

But injuries derailed AD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably had advanced training too early in his career and peaked.

today’s nba.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I didn't say Blake was better. Just that Davis gets a free pass for not living up to his potential.

I will say this, though: a healthy Blake has finished top 3 in MVP voting. Has Davis ever done that?
    - that shiiiiiiiiiit!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AD is very good. If he was in San Antonio you'd know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy explanation. It's a guard's game now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he never was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where basketball used to be inside-out, with offense schemes built around big men drawing double teams in the post to create spacing for guards off secondary action (i.e. 4 down, Triangle offense with Shaq as the center piece, etc), basketball is now played outside-in via pick-n-rolls. Guards create the defensive breakdowns now (i.e. defenses scrambling to switch on pick-and-rolls, to cover 3 point shooters, etc). Furthermore, team defenses don't double post-players anymore. Because an offensive attempt from the low-post is actually an inefficient play, so why double that and risk creating an open 3 point shooter?

Basketball has become binary. 3s and layups are the only shots "worth" anything now. Sadly, the NBA won't do anything about the 3 point line because fans love the fast-paced chuckfests, but it's resulted in a much simpler and more boring game.

Big man value is now centered around their defense more than ever before. Someone like Shaq in the modern game would probably be limited in favor of a big who could better switch on pick-and-rolls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where basketball used to be inside-out, with offense schemes built around big men drawing double teams in the post to create spacing for guards off secondary action (i.e. 4 down, Triangle offense with Shaq as the center piece, etc), basketball is now played outside-in via pick-n-rolls. Guards create the defensive breakdowns now (i.e. defenses scrambling to switch on pick-and-rolls, to cover 3 point shooters, etc). Furthermore, team defenses don't double post-players anymore. Because an offensive attempt from the low-post is actually an inefficient play, so why double that and risk creating an open 3 point shooter?

Basketball has become binary. 3s and layups are the only shots "worth" anything now. Sadly, the NBA won't do anything about the 3 point line because fans love the fast-paced chuckfests, but it's resulted in a much simpler and more boring game.

Big man value is now centered around their defense more than ever before. Someone like Shaq in the modern game would probably be limited in favor of a big who could better switch on pick-and-rolls.
    it's a shooting forward's league, and has been for a while now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's a shooting forward's league, and has been for a while now.
    That forward needs to be a ball-handler, though, which makes him essentially a guard. He needs to be able to start his offense from the 3 point line down (Kevin Durant) and play the pick-and-roll with a big. Stretch 4s are really only good for 3rd/4th options these days and 7 foot centers have less overall impact than ever before, which is why Davis's metrics have plummeted, despite him having career years in PPG, RPG, and a solid .515 FG%.

It's just so easy to marginalize everything big men are traditionally good at when the 3 point line is such a powerful weapon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That forward needs to be a ball-handler, though, which makes him essentially a guard. He needs to be able to start his offense from the 3 point line down (Kevin Durant) and play the pick-and-roll with a big. Stretch 4s are really only good for 3rd/4th options these days and 7 foot centers have less overall impact than ever before, which is why Davis's metrics have plummeted, despite him having career years in PPG, RPG, and a solid .515 FG%.

It's just so easy to marginalize everything big men are traditionally good at when the 3 point line is such a powerful weapon.
    erm, no. They don't carry the ball from the start. AD's impact is bad because he is easily put in bad defensive spots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    erm, no. They don't carry the ball from the start. AD's impact is bad because he is easily put in bad defensive spots.
    A PG usually dumps the ball to them in their spots.

Essentially, as I've said in the Spurs forum regarding the evolution of Kawhi's game, you need to be able to ball handle from at least the 3 point line on down if you want to be significant offensive threat in the league.

Davis is one of the better defensive players in the league, ranking 6th DRPM. Check out the RPM leaderboard and see how pretty much every 7 footer has limited offensive impact. Only 2 centers made the top 40 in ORPM.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/ORPM

As I said:

Big man value is now centered around their defense more than ever before.
    They don't drive offenses anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Essentially, as I've said in the Spurs forum regarding the evolution of Kawhi's game, you need to be able to ball handle from at least the 3 point line on down if you want to be significant offensive threat in the league.

Davis is one of the better defensive players in the league, ranking 6th DRPM. Check out the RPM leaderboard and see how pretty much every 7 footer has limited offensive impact. Only 2 centers made the top 40 in ORPM.

As I said:

not really relevant.. why can't AD get one of his teams to the play offs when Blake, Aldridge, Dirk can? Surely Kevin Love isn't there for his D.. And so on, and so forth.. It's just excuse after another, at some point people just need to accept that he isn't that good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talking about a players' "decline" when he posted a PER of 27.5 and a RPM of 4.35. Both significant better numbers than the previous year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    been saying for a couple seasons he's been living off the hype

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly...Davis is a fantastic player, but the current league doesn't value his skills enough.

Thank you for giving an explanation with more depth than "cuz he a got now!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As I said:

I'm fairly sure they changed the rule in mid 00s where you no longer had to throw a hard double at the post - you could basically float between the post player & shooters which made it harder to collapse defenses from the post and an even less efficient way for a team to score.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fairly sure they changed the rule in mid 00s where you no longer had to throw a hard double at the post - you could basically float between the post player & shooters which made it harder to collapse defenses from the post and an even less efficient way for a team to score.
    Wasn't aware of that. If they changed the rule in that fashion, then it further proves the NBA was/is hard-on to makes this a guard/perimeter player's league.

Makes sense. When the Spurs were dominating that era, all I heard on other forums is how boring they were. No dunks, chucking, personality, just a mechanically efficient offense centered around Duncan (although Duncan's game would be entertaining and interesting to anyone who is truly a basketball fan). The low ratings the Spurs drew in the Finals probably further confirmed that NBA fans don't want to see boring old post play.

NBA found its formula now. I think it's utter , but oh well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't aware of that. If they changed the rule in that fashion, then it further proves the NBA was/is hard-on to makes this a guard/perimeter player's league.

Makes sense. When the Spurs were dominating that era, all I heard on other forums is how boring they were. No dunks, chucking, personality, just a mechanically efficient offense centered around Duncan (although Duncan's game would be entertaining and interesting to anyone who is truly a basketball fan). The low ratings the Spurs drew in the Finals probably further confirmed that NBA fans don't want to see boring old post play.

NBA found its formula now. I think it's utter , but oh well.
    Makes me appreciate TD even more, probably being a Top 3 player in the league in 2007 & hands the keys to Parker knowing Pick & Rolls between those 2 would be more efficient than post ups from that point on, despite being in his prime. I love post play - the footwork, the moves & countermoves, the touch around the rim of a skilled big is great. I like ball movement & player movement also, but it seemed to have gone too far the other way, where it's basically chuck first without a lot of penetration. Driving & kicking combined with constant ball & player movement is probably the best which was basically the 2012-2015 Spurs.

Thread Information