Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m really curious how the FO slurpers will spin it when Kawhi bolts. My guess is, “yeah we lost Kawhi, but we don’t need him. Pop! Kultur! System!” Etc etc
    Well, they are already saying that they'll just be happy that we had a good run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude and others like him saying this are pretty much Suns/Mavs fans who were trolled on this forum for years for being content with just being a cute regular season team now
    Yup. Only a Neanderthal would have the blind homerism to see that this is exactly what’s happening now w/the soon to be Seattle Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, they are already saying that they'll just be happy that we had a good run.
    Spoiled fan/60 wins/HEB commercials etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone considered how this bumbling FO stole Kawhi in the first place (and how 29 other teams with just as much chance to do so didn't know enough to want to)?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think anyone that can be even some what objective about the Spurs likes this roster with a team like GS killing the league. If Kawhi thought the roster was great and should be favored to ring I’d be more worried.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have a hard time believing Leonard will walk way from a surely offered supermax deal.

His personality fits like a glove to what the franchise has turned into since the Duncan era.

Those two factors trump any concern he'll have for winning rings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TBH. I don't expect anything to change. They did the same with Timmy. Timmy should've gone out with at least 6 or 7 rings imo. PATFO is extremely lucky that Tony and Manu turned into legit NBA stars.
    The way Manu turned out was definitely a stroke of pure luck, since Giricek was PATFO's guy that year.

But we have Sam Presti to thank for getting Tony.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2020....Maxamize the years in between if they can. I feel the Spurs have kicked the tires (KD, CP3) but just haven't hit....and don't think for a second they won't when "The King" hits the market..they'll be on the short list of 3-4 teams...will they strike gold? Probably not...as long as Pop and the culture of winning ball is here...Spurs will be highly considered or respected.

And TBH There's no need for Kawhi to stick around when Pop leaves and the Spurs culture is officially gone. It's ok if he doesn't "retire a Spur". It's sports and like many of us on this board have said..we've been extremely spoiled for 20 years now of consistent competing...like there's NEVER been anything like it really. Yeah we've "ONLY WON 5" championships but that's still what top 5 in the history of the game? Embrace each year that's left...

One day all the cliff jumpers/ego maniacs on this board dreams will come true...everything will go to .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a discussion about Kawhi's and the teams future. When you still depend on 40/yr old Manu who may retire (and probably should) next season, 36 yr old Tony who gets injured 20 games a season and is always getting injured in the playoffs at this point of his career anyways, and paying Pau to play until he's 40 when he already has trouble with the elite shooting teams.... then yea I am concerned about the teams future and I have been for a while and Kahwi should too. So should PATFO. They need to seek to improve each season anyways.

Unlike TGY I do like the team's young players but they aren't HOF players, they are role players, many of them regular minutes sponges at this point. The HoF players, the guys Pop relies on to really win games are ancient. And then there's Lamarcus with the unhappy-diva act. So if you aren't concerned it's bc you just choose not to, which is fine to me. But don't be preachy about those who can foresee some trouble in paradise.
    There's a difference between foreseeing trouble in paradise, and trolling in every thread to just be the rain over everyone's parade.

Obviously, things aren't like they were when we had a prime Tim Duncan and All-Star Tony and Manu. We all ing get it.

I can't say that every move the team has made in the last 4 years has been perfect, but neither has any team's...save maybe the Warriors'. To Golden State's credit, they have built an amazingly formidable force, through the draft, trade, and FA...but even that was 8 years in the making and took a few strokes of luck, just like the Spurs had in the early 2000s.

That being said, we still have the same FO that brought Kawhi here, and the same FO that beat Lebron's super team in 2014. To act like this team is dwelling in the cellar, or even in the purgatory of the mid-NBA, is asinine. They were one Ray Allen three from winning in 2013. They were a couple injuries away from seriously challenging those "unbeatable" Warriors last season.

For all the moves that Houston, Cleveland, and OKC made...they are still trying to get into the Spurs position, even with all our so-called "old" and "crappy" players. Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I refuse to buy into the doom and gloom that some of the "fans" around here seem to subscribe to.

That all may sound like hyperbole right now....but come at me at the end of the season if you really think I'm wrong. This team will be challenging for a championship when all is said and done, and that's all anybody can ask for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone considered how this bumbling FO stole Kawhi in the first place (and how 29 other teams with just as much chance to do so didn't know enough to want to)?
    Was it Drunkford missing out on his first option Valanciunas?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruh you're the ultimate fluffer...you're Kawhi's bucket and proud of it tbh.

And real talk without PATFO you wouldn't be able to gargle his ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one had any idea Kawhi would develop into the player he is now, including PATFO. They moved Hill for Kawhi because they didn't wanna pay Hill the money he was going to get the following off season while acquiring a 3&D player they were lacking since Bowen retired. It was simply a move to clear out an overabundance of guards while solidifying a position of need. , if Green had managed to break out a season earlier than he did with the Spurs we'd prolly have Nikolai Vucevic or some other mediocre Euro big.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have a hard time believing Leonard will walk way from a surely offered supermax deal.

His personality fits like a glove to what the franchise has turned into since the Duncan era.

Those two factors trump any concern he'll have for winning rings.
    Couldn't agree more. Kawai is probably the most introverted nba player out there. The type of low key market & winning culture of the team suits him perfectly. I cant think of any other team that comes close to offering that kind of fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    41 year old Manure is the 6th man
    37 year old Gasoft is a starter
    35 year old MVParker is a starter
    32 year old Lamarsha is a starter
    31 year old Rudy Gay with no achilles is THE big FA signing
    30 year old Declining D-League Danny is a starter
    24 year old in 50 year old body Fathead is a key piece
    I mean, Jesus ing Christ our first round rookie was the oldest player drafted!!!

Get off this sinking anic before it's too late, Kawhi, seriously.
    Yep.

PATFO is ing cooked

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TBH. I don't expect anything to change. They did the same with Timmy. Timmy should've gone out with at least 6 or 7 rings imo. PATFO is extremely lucky that Tony and Manu turned into legit NBA stars.
    PATFO helped get him number five by putting Kawhi, Mills, Tiago, Green, Belinelli and Diaw around him tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, if Jerry West manages to get Marc Gasol, LeBron and Kawhi to the Clippers, he is inarguably the greatest executive in sports history.
    He already probably is one of the greatest in NBA history but he better keep his hands of Kawhi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be worried about the direction of this team too if I were in his shoes.

paying Gasol and Mills $100 mil

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most teams go out when their best player gets hurt. The Spurs made it to the WCF. They did their part by weathering the storm against a good team and giving him time to recover. They should never have been expected to show better against GS than they did. There are a lot of potential rosters that would have higher 2K ratings, but the Spurs had something going last year. I don't blame the team for wanting another try at it. I hate the contracts they gave out, especially to Pau. But I hope Kawhi is much more focused on getting healthy and protecting his body better than on criticizing a front office that cobbled together five championship teams with out a lottery pick for two decades.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when the Spurs has a perennial MVP candidate and were in serious contention to win it all? Remember when there was a serious chance of winning a chip instead of being a top 4 team? Because I do.
    Yeah, it was LAST ING SEASON. But what have they done for you lately?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Couldn't agree more. Kawai is probably the most introverted nba player out there. The type of low key market & winning culture of the team suits him perfectly. I cant think of any other team that comes close to offering that kind of fit.
    He's from LA/California, I'm sure he'll have no problem playing for one of the teams he grew up watching. He's turned himself into a Superstar/Championship player. With all the hard work he's put in, he should be playing for a team that has a chance to win it all every year. Not saying the Spurs can't, but the age of these current key players is going to catch up with them sooner or later. The Spurs also normally aren't a team that gives out bad contracts, but they gave out two very bad ones this off-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's from LA/California, I'm sure he'll have no problem playing for one of the teams he grew up watching. He's turned himself into a Superstar/Championship player. With all the hard work he's put in, he should be playing for a team that has a chance to win it all every year. Not saying the Spurs can't, but the age of these current key players is going to catch up with them sooner or later. The Spurs also normally aren't a team that gives out bad contracts, but they gave out two very bad ones this off-season.
    Mills isn't a bad contract; he's just an unnecessary one. If they knew for sure Parker was going to retire this year, then having Patty and Murray as the two PGs like less than $15 Million a year isn't bad at all. Patty brings a lot of intangibles, and logically speaking, he should be able to play better with the right pieces around him. People act as if Forbes could slide in and replace him, but that's not something you assume for a contender.

Pau is a horrible deal, though.

The question people have to ask themselves is if Kawhi with Marc or Blake or whomever whatever team finds to pair him with is really closer to winning a le. It's not an obvious question. The Spurs have remained an elite team for a lot longer than those other teams. Gutting a roster to bring in Leonard could mean it takes a couple of years to get role-players back and then maybe a couple more to get chemistry going.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it was LAST ING SEASON. But what have they done for you lately?
    People are crazy man... The last 6 seasons it's been WCF/Finals/Finals/1st Round/2nd Round/WCF .. This isn't like the Cavs or the Heat breezing thru the Eastern Conference either, not everyone gets a free pass like they do. But I mean you have someone bringing up we're now like the Suns/Mavs like somehow they're the same. There's just some silliness in this thread. I totally get some being not so thrilled about contracts or whatever.

I think the age thing is overblown too. Manu didn't even crack 20 MPG (17) in the playoffs TP was at 26MPG, but he looked good, and Pau played 22MPG, 3 down from his reg season average. These guys that everyone says have huge roles are not playing huge minutes, so I don't get the fuss. Pop spreads out the minutes pretty well, and with guys like Murray/Forbes/Anderson/Bertans hopefully developing more, it's quite possible they'll see more time than they did and those older guys minutes will come down again even more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Between? Games? He had one single game with 0/0, and he only played 19 minutes in a loss to Memphis in the first round.

Even counting that one ty game, he still averaged 15 and 3 while shooting 47.5% from the floor and 51.2% from three throughout the playoffs.

Remove that game from the equation, and those numbers jump to 18 and 3.5 with 54%/58% splits.

Considering everybody wants Parker to back off from his hero-balling ways, I'm not sure what the else you are expecting from him.

But go ahead and try to spin things a little harder next time.
    Bro... Those are ok numbers... But u are completely ignoring the other factors... Parker isn't a three point shooter... U wanna rely on him for that? Go ahead... Secondly, he is very bad defensively, and is even older now... Lastly he is unable to get into the paint and break down the defense like before, so now our offense gets very stale and predictable when he is in... Thats why we suffer long offensive droughts when we play good teams

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if I had to guess the Spurs will go all in on Lebron. Hopefully the Pop-Bron lovefest and Murray's little brother relationship with him will be enough to lure him. Ultimately, I can't help but to feel bad for a guy that is currently subject to a front office that insists on sticking with aging former all stars, and really has little help while expecting to compete with the likes of stacked teams like Golden State, OKC, Houston, and Cleveland.

Thread Information