Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember a thread made by one of the typical homers laughing at the "cliff jumpers" because the Spurs were taking advantage of the easiest schedule on the NBA.

I can't remember who it was though.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's go home.

This thread is done.
    If massive stupidity was enough to close a thread this whole site would shut down in 15 minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have much hope for the front office.

I doubt they could muster the sober reflection needed to succeed.

Worse, even if they did come to their senses, the damage is done. They can't undo that. At best, they could burn more assets to dump the toxic ones, but the cure might kill the patient anyway.

Everything they did wrong was written about accurately in forewarning by so many posters here that it's mind boggling.

They did so much wrong I just don't think the front office is still capable of telling good deals from bad. This wasn't one single contract that was wrong, or over optimistic faith in one player being healthy against history to the contrary.

There were massive, reckless mistakes at every aspect that the front office took on:

When gauging the free agent market for players like Mills

When gauging the impact of their deals on the cap of future deals

When gauging the talent and impact of Mills

Misusing the asset of restricted free agency for Simmons.

When they approached the draft like they weren't going to re-sign Mills

When gauging the status of Milutinov going back to his draft, and wasting the best part of a late first round pick: a very cheap player under team control for at least 4 seasons

When scouting the free agent market for bigs and somehow finding Joffrey as a credible NBA player and not the worst rim defender in NBA history

Giving a player option to that terrible rim defender.

Everything they touch, scouting, the lay of the land, free agency, understanding their own coach's predilections, cap management, asset management, the draft, foresight, everything.

For that much to get wrong, I don't know if there's any coming back.
    No más. No más.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you talking about? Why the would the Spurs not offer Kawhi an extension? They'd be absolute idiots to not do so. They could maybe give him options for different directions they might want to go in like they did with Tim, but to not offer anything at all would be absolute idiocy.
    I could see it. This supermax is a real threat to the league. It represents a reassertion of the supremacy of the large market. Real money matters in the real world. Small market teams such as the Spurs don't generate the same revenue as large market teams. Especially if the team is spooked by health concerns I could see the team moving him in exchange for a king's ransom and especially if they could dump Patty or Pau in the deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember a thread made by one of the typical homers laughing at the "cliff jumpers" because the Spurs were taking advantage of the easiest schedule on the NBA.

I can't remember who it was though.
    think it was raybies... what they were able to accomplish then was pretty laudable IMO. Can't on homer fans that were proud of the team back then.

I don't take for granted what they have done with this many injuries, these many blunders by the FO etc. Credit to some players. They have battled hard. They don't have the 2nd best defense with lack of effort. Injuries killed the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    think it was raybies... what they were able to accomplish then was pretty laudable IMO. Can't on homer fans that were proud of the team back then.

I don't take for granted what they have done with this many injuries, these many blunders by the FO etc. Credit to some players. They have battled hard. They don't have the 2nd best defense with lack of effort. Injuries killed the Spurs.
    For sure. But none of that takes away from the fact that the moves the front office did on the offseason were crap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worse, even if they did come to their senses, the damage is done. They can't undo that. At best, they could burn more assets to dump the toxic ones, but the cure might kill the patient anyway.
    Yep. The cherry on top of whole sundae... unless you think that living with PATFO until at least 2020 is worse.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you’re just gonna act like it’s all about roster moves?? That’s the speculation that’s hilarious out here and people ignore the report and add on their 2 cents to fit their personal opinions expressed on this board. Not one thing has been mentioned regarding personnel and everything about injury management...

You can sell me on Kawhi being frustrated on playing time, rest, conservative approach but automatically assuming it’s roster moves etc is just bs
    I'm saying the roster moves make it easier for him to be frustrated with the Spurs.

Do you think there won't be other teams with cap room who won't have better talent?

Supposedly Paul George didn't like how Bird handled the players and did guys like Granger and West wrong. And he was just wanting to play for his hometown team.

But Bird screwing up with signing washed up vets to cap eating deals like Al Jefferson and Monta Ellis and crapping with his other roster moves played it's own big part.

The Spurs go into 2019 summer with $62 million on the books with for just Aldridge, Mills, a stretched Gasol and Kawhi's cap hold.

$62 million for 3 players and only two of them can play against Golden State.

Add in Murray, White, and 1st rounders in 18 and 19 and roster charges and that gets to what, $71 million? If they have to stretch Manu's last year, maybe $72 million?

That's not counting whatever they pay Green or his replacement, who even if kept probably will be winding down and not good enough to start.

That's not counting a replacement for Pau, and it won't be cheap. Even if it's Milutinov it'll be on a Splitter type deal and not a cheap rookie deal.

That's without Gay.

That's without a cheap Anderson, a cheap Forbes, a cheap Bertans.

That's without a loyalty deal for Parker.

They might have $30 million and the room exception to add multiple starters and probably key bench players if the cap keeps stagnating. If they give mle money to one of Anderson, Gay, or Bertans, and use full MLE this summer for at least 2 years, and use the bae, they have maybe $10 million left?

What I'm saying is that even if Kawhi is super happy and wants to stay ... Even if gives the Spurs a break on the supermax and takes caphold money, the path to contention is a mess.

But if everything is fine and Kawhi gets his supermax, now the caproom is even $5 million less.

If Kawhi isn't worried about the roster, he should be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure. But none of that takes away from the fact that the moves the front office did on the offseason were crap.
    I didnt even know Patty's deal was backloaded until Chinook mentioned it somewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing how Duncan was the one who kept the sandwich together while Pop/RC get jerked off like some kind of saviors. He leaves and the whole thing starts to slowly unravel.

Timmy , let's get the man a statue in front of the arena while the team is still relevant and still in San Antonio.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didnt even know Patty's deal was backloaded until Chinook mentioned it somewhere.
    At least there's no trade kicker bonus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm saying the roster moves make it easier for him to be frustrated with the Spurs.

Do you think there won't be other teams with cap room who won't have better talent?

Supposedly Paul George didn't like how Bird handled the players and did guys like Granger and West wrong. And he was just wanting to play for his hometown team.

But Bird screwing up with signing washed up vets to cap eating deals like Al Jefferson and Monta Ellis and crapping with his other roster moves played it's own big part.

The Spurs go into 2019 summer with $62 million on the books with for just Aldridge, Mills, a stretched Gasol and Kawhi's cap hold.

Add in Murray, White, and 1st rounders in 18 and 19 and roster charges and that gets to what, $71 million? If they have to stretch Manu's last year, maybe $72 million?

That's not counting whatever they pay Green or his replacement, who even if kept probably will be winding down and not good enough to start.

That's not counting a replacement for Pau, and it won't be cheap. Even if it's Milutinov it'll be on a Splitter type deal and not a cheap rookie deal.

That's without Gay.

They might have $30 million and the room exception to add multiple starters and probably key bench players if the cap keeps stagnating. If they give mle money to one of Anderson, Gay, or Bertans, and use full MLE this summer for at least 2 years, and use the bae, they have maybe $10 million left?

What I'm saying is that even if Kawhi is super happy and wants to stay ... Even if gives the Spurs a break on the supermax and takes caphold money, the path to contention is a mess.

But if everything is fine and Kawhi gets his supermax, now the caproom is even $5 million less.

You should post more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing how Duncan was the one who kept the sandwich together while Pop/RC get jerked off like some kind of saviors. He leaves and the whole thing starts to slowly unravel.

Timmy , let's get the man a statue in front of the arena while the team is still relevant and still in San Antonio.
    Agreed, except it seems like the Spurs are unraveling rather suddenly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's without Gay.

You could be right and you make valid points but that’s purely speculation..It could be and most likely is only about the injury situation..people need to pump the brakes and don’t turn this into something it isn’t just because ST posters aren’t happy with PATFO moves.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

Kawhi hasn't earned the right to be worried. He's actually part of the problem in that respect. This is a player's league and they hold the power.

Has Kawhi recruited anyone to play alongside him?

Nope.

Has Kawhi made any real friends since joining the NBA (not talking about acquaintances)?

Nope.

Had Kawhi had a sitdown with the FO to help construct a roster built around him?

Resounding No. He couldn't even be bothered enough to make a simple phone call to Durant when the Spurs were courting him, letting him know he was interested.

He's done the bare minimum since he got here but in today's game, it's all about recruiting. No realistic star player is going to suit up for the small market Spurs because of the so called well respected PATFO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see it. This supermax is a real threat to the league. It represents a reassertion of the supremacy of the large market. Real money matters in the real world. Small market teams such as the Spurs don't generate the same revenue as large market teams. Especially if the team is spooked by health concerns I could see the team moving him in exchange for a king's ransom and especially if they could dump Patty or Pau in the deal.
    I could see them not offering it now, but if Kawhi's healthy, he's still a top 3 player in the NBA. You really can't not offer to him if you expect to keep him. If you're not going to offer it, you better have a darn good plan for the rest of the roster to sell him on not taking it.

Kawhi hasn't earned the right to be worried. He's actually part of the problem in that respect. This is a player's league and they hold the power.

Nope.

Has Kawhi made any real friends since joining the NBA (not talking about acquaintances)?

Nope.

Had Kawhi had a sitdown with the FO to help construct a roster built around him?

Resounding No. He couldn't even be bothered enough to make a simple phone call to Durant when the Spurs were courting him, letting him know he was interested.

He's done the bare minimum since he got here but in today's game, it's all about recruiting. No realistic star player is going to suit up for the small market Spurs because of the so called well respected PATFO.
    The KD thing has got me baffled. I really think it would have increased the Spurs' chances of getting him if Kawhi spoke to him or was at least at the meeting to recruit him. Telling KD that they could have been an amazing one-two punch would have gone a long way IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nope.

Nope.

That's fair but it starts with the Spurs front office not hamstringing the team preemptively, or acquiescing to any dumb move the star in question wanted that would similarly hurt.

Curry and Draymond would have had no chance to recruit a Durant if Golden State signed Bogut and Barnes to long term extensions first.

Harden would have been waisting his time if Morey didn't bother drafting Capela, gave Jones and Montiejunas $100 million and maxed Dwight requiring him to burn off first rounders to get off that money.

Wade could never get LeBron and Bosh if Riley really liked Marcus Banks and kept him and extended savvy vets like Jermaine O'Neal and Quentin Richardson.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see them not offering it now, but if Kawhi's healthy, he's still a top 3 player in the NBA. You really can't not offer to him if you expect to keep him. If you're not going to offer it, you better have a darn good plan for the rest of the roster to sell him on not taking it.

The KD thing has got me baffled. I really think it would have increased the Spurs' chances of getting him if Kawhi spoke to him or was at least at the meeting to recruit him. Telling KD that they could have been an amazing one-two punch would have gone a long way IMO.
    I don't blame him for not recruiting KD and after the crap KD said about him '14. I feel Kawhi views KD as a mortal enemy much the same way Duncan did with KG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, say Kawhi tomorrow recognizes the error of his ways and becomes a big schmoozer and the number one best friend in the NBA.

Well, it's probably too late, because Mills and Gasol got their $100 million to ruin the cap for years to come.

Even if Manu retires and is stretched, Gay and Lolffrey picking up their options and giving QOs to Bertans and Forbes plus a first round pick only leaves them with about MLE-type caproom and the room exception, IF they renounce Green and Anderson.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    That's fair but it starts with the Spurs front office not hamstringing the team preemptively, or acquiescing to any dumb move the star in question wanted that would similarly hurt.

Curry and Draymond would have had no chance to recruit a Durant if Golden State signed Bogut and Barnes to long term extensions first.

Harden would have been waisting his time if Morey didn't bother drafting Capela, gave Jones and Montiejunas $100 million and maxed Dwight requiring him to burn off first rounders to get off that money.

Wade could never get LeBron and Bosh if Riley really liked Marcus Banks and kept him and extended savvy vets like Jermaine O'Neal and Quentin Richardson.
    You're preaching to the choir. I've been calling out this joke of a FO since 2010. RC Buford is a grade A fraud and has been since day 1. But the problems of this offseason were set in motion by the rumor mill and CP3's camp. This clown of a FO was too blind to see that Paul was using the Spurs as leverage to get a fifth year out of the Clippers. When the Clips said no, he bolted to Houston and left the Spurs FO in complete disarray. They put all their eggs in the one basket and came up empty.

I would have had more respect for the organization if they would have dumped Aldridge for prospects, let Patty and Gasol go and started a quick rebuliding process with Kawhi as the center piece going forward. However, they chose to keep the band together and ended up destroying the cap space for the next three years in the process just so they could stay playoff relevant. In their mind, they paid Gasol because they had to. Could you imagine losing Gasol and having Laughverne as the starting C next to Aldridge and some G-league or Euro trash third wheel backing him up? Can you imagine Bryn Forbes being the de facto back up to Tony instead of Mills. Paddy is gross for the amount of money he's making but Forbes is flat out scrub that makes Gary Neal look like Tony Allen on defense. He can knockdown shots on occasion but only because he doesn't have expectations thrusted upon him. If he was expected to run the second unit, he would run it into the ground.

What pissed me off the most was the Kyrie Irving saga. He wanted to play here which is a shocking rarity and the Spurs FO didn't bend over backwards to make it happen. I would have gutted 2/3s of the roster to bring in a cost controlled talent like that even if it meant compromising the roster for a year. Kawhi should have opened his mouth and said something to promote a Kyrie trade like "yeah, that would be great" or "Wow, it would be a dream to play next to guy with immense talent like that." Instead, complete silence.

Another big mistake was replacing Dedmon and Simmons (emphasis on Dedmon) with Laughverne and BP3. losing two key role players and replacing them with NBA squalor is indefensible. Laughverne is one of the worst bigs I've ever seen and BP3 can't even see the floor. Forbes and Bertans are scrubs, Gay is damaged goods, Kyle Anderson has a weak all around game, Danny Green is a bonefied scrub living off his past accomplishments for the last three years and LMA is a fake All-star.

The biggest problem is the lack of a star power playing next to Leonard. Aldridge has proven he's not that guy and Leonard is the only player on the roster that has the ability to recruit a player of that ilk. Duncan is long gone, Parker is on his last legs and Ginobili might play another 8-10 years but his recruiting days are long gone. Some of these scrubs would be much more tolerable if the Spurs didn't have to rely on them to win games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are done when Manu retires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're preaching to the choir. I've been calling out this joke of a FO since 2010. RC Buford is a grade A fraud and has been since day 1. But the problems of this offseason were set in motion by the rumor mill and CP3's camp. This clown of a FO was too blind to see that Paul was using the Spurs as leverage to get a fifth year out of the Clippers. When the Clips said no, he bolted to Houston and left the Spurs FO in complete disarray. They put all their eggs in the one basket and came up empty.

I would have had more respect for the organization if they would have dumped Aldridge for prospects, let Patty and Gasol go and started a quick rebuliding process with Kawhi as the center piece going forward. However, they chose to keep the band together and ended up destroying the cap space for the next three years in the process just so they could stay playoff relevant. In their mind, they paid Gasol because they had to. Could you imagine losing Gasol and having Laughverne as the starting C next to Aldridge and some G-league or Euro trash third wheel backing him up? Can you imagine Bryn Forbes being the de facto back up to Tony instead of Mills. Paddy is gross for the amount of money he's making but Forbes is flat out scrub that makes Gary Neal look like Tony Allen on defense. He can knockdown shots on occasion but only because he doesn't have expectations thrusted upon him. If he was expected to run the second unit, he would run it into the ground.

What pissed me off the most was the Kyrie Irving saga. He wanted to play here which is a shocking rarity and the Spurs FO didn't bend over backwards to make it happen. I would have gutted 2/3s of the roster to bring in a cost controlled talent like that even if it meant compromising the roster for a year. Kawhi should have opened his mouth and said something to promote a Kyrie trade like "yeah, that would be great" or "Wow, it would be a dream to play next to guy with immense talent like that." Instead, complete silence.

Another big mistake was replacing Dedmon and Simmons (emphasis on Dedmon) with Laughverne and BP3. losing two key role players and replacing them with NBA squalor is indefensible. Laughverne is one of the worst bigs I've ever seen and BP3 can't even see the floor. Forbes and Bertans are scrubs, Gay is damaged goods, Kyle Anderson has a weak all around game, Danny Green is a bonefied scrub living off his past accomplishments for the last three years and LMA is a fake All-star.

The biggest problem is the lack of a star power playing next to Leonard. Aldridge has proven he's not that guy and Leonard is the only player on the roster that has the ability to recruit a player of that ilk. Duncan is long gone, Parker is on his last legs and Ginobili might play another 8-10 years but his recruiting days are long gone. Some of these scrubs would be much more tolerable if the Spurs didn't have to rely on them to win games.
    Don't hold back man, tell us how you really feel.

BTW, someone bold this man.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please sticky this thread! Our roster needs some tweaks but will be A OK!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for criticism when it's due, but the notion that there was anything they could have done to acquire Irving, is insane. Look at the package he went for; there was no internal comparable to it. If there was, they'd more than likely have him because all things being relatively equal, no one wants to trade players of that caliber in conference.

As bad as this situation is at the moment, if Leonard can get healthy and they can pull off a trade for Walker, they're probably right back to being the 2nd best team in the league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think anything the Spurs had could beat Isaiah-Crowder-Brooklyn_pick.

But they might be able to get in on Kemba.

If it takes the 18 and 20 picks with declining lotto protections on 20 it's a must make move.

Thread Information