For whatever reason(s).

I am.
    Not missing it.
    At.all.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    This......ok gang let's figure out some cool/funny TD celebrations, ok.................totally sucks. Yep...EL STUPID.

All of them suck which tells us......just play football guys, ok? Being creative....nay~~~

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Anyone watching less this year?
    For whatever reason(s).

I am.
    Not missing it.
    At.all.
    I can understand somebody new to the sport being turned off with todays game. But all us long time fans will never NEVER NEVER miss a game if possible.

I have missed......0....games I could have seen on TV this season. That has been going on for a long long time.

BUT.............if a rival league did show up, and they made it real clear they weren't concerned with safety, ya got one replay per half per team. One foot ln bounds for a reception, no FG's ouside the 20, all conversions two point plays. The NFL would be in trouble.

I played in some HS alumni games. So we all had to sign a form releashing the school of any obligations, it was all on us. That's all it takes. Ya wanna play a dangerous game, ok, if not......don't.

Not concerned about Willie smacking his hoe around, not the leagues problem.

Changed my mind.....no replays at all. If a mistake is made, oh well. And.....no phones on the sidelines, the QB calls the plays as does your defense QB. And....holding will be allowed as long as ya don't grab and throw someone down.
    Last edited by Avante; 11-17-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    It's time to simply allow holding on kick returns. It's getting ridiculous now.

That or make it real clear......just get in the way, don't worry about a return, Far more worried about a penalty.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Yep, there are millions of other similar stupid plays that are annoying but taunting penalties would be the most intolerable for me as a head coach. There's just zero reason for it if you're a disciplined team. I'd bench the player for atleast a quarter and I bet you Belichick does something like that. Or fine them.

I understand if you scored the game winning touchdown with 30 seconds left but the only possible explanation for it after routine first downs or tackles is just being ignorant. Gotta take away playing time or a check. A close second, is the premature celebrating before getting the touchdown ESPECIALLY idiots doing front flips into the endzone
    Yeah...exactly. 3rd and 1 and some RB gets a yard in a half. Then he has to get in a clear spot and indicate 1st down for everyone.

And more irritating...

A cornerback gets beat but either the QB overthrows or the WR drops the ball. So then the CB has to celebrate and beat on his chest.

I can't remember where the line came from but it was a coach somewhere that said, "act like you've been there before".

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count

3. Overtime rules. So dumb. So if you lose the coin toss, and the other team scores a TD, they win. But if they only score a FG, the game continues. LOL. Let both teams get the ball, maybe at midfield (not the 25 yard line like in college). Play it out like they do in college after that. And ties should not exist. This isn't povertyball.
    ^

Post Count
    Sudden death overtime only makes sense in sports in which scoring is inherently rare and anemic, like soccer.

For football, especially in the playoffs, there should be no sudden death. Even the worse teams in the NFL are going to score 14-20 points most games. And in the playoffs, those bad offensive teams won’t generally be there. It doesn’t take much to score a FG. No sudden death. No first touchdown wins. Just add another timed extra period and play until 0:00. Don’t want to make it a full 15, fine. Make it 10 minutes. But sudden death doesn’t make sense in a sport where scoring is not rare or difficult.

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    The game itself is fine

But 3 hour broadcasts for 10 minutes of actual action?
    GTFO with that

commercials with football breaks

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    people barely made a peep about overtime rules until the Patriots got a couple W’s off it, now suddenly it’s the most unfair bull ever.
    that's bull . It's a universally disliked rule regardless of who is playing.

Quit playing the victim and enjoy your ing Super Bowl.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    The OT rule is stupid though, no one would complain about it being unfair if both teams get the chance to score, and you shouldn't get that much of an advantage from winning a coin flip.

The college rules would be stupid because they remove any need to have disciplined special teams and make it so teams don't need to sustain a 70+ yard drive, but I think modifying the rules to make it so each team gets the ball makes sense.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    There's definitely selective outrage about this though

Having sympathy for Mahomes never getting the ball is one thing, but the crocodile tears over Matt Ryan never getting a chance after he blew a 25 point lead were hilarious to see.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    I still think the Patriots win in overtime either way though. The Chiefs D had been on the field for 40 minutes in regulation and was exhausted, the Patriots would have been able to score touchdowns at will, and Flores would have been able to pull a redzone stop out of his ass with a timely blitz that led to Mahomes being sacked.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    mAhOmEs DiDnT eVeN gEt A cHaNcE!
    I'd say it's a ridiculously stupid OT system even if the situation reversed and the Pats lost.

NFL fans lost out on seeing the duel continue. Now we can only imagine what might have happened had StPatrick got the ball another time.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    The game itself is fine

But 3 hour broadcasts for 10 minutes of actual action?
    GTFO with that

commercials with football breaks
    compared to povertyball with like 3 hours of meaningful action every 4 years?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    NFL's OT rules have never been ideal, but i think it's been fine since they did away with the first drive field goal stuff.

we've seen teams elect to kick in OT instead of receive... it's happened 11 times in league history (and most of those happened BEFORE they took away the opening possession field goal bull ) and the team electing to kick has won 6 of those 11

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...me-isnt-crazy/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I think the OT rule is perfectly fine. I thought it was lame when you could walkoff FG for fame but reqjiring the first team to score a TD is reasonable... play D you feel me?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    As someone suggested, maybe just having an exrra 10 or 15 minute period added would be better, but the current OT rule isnt that bad or controversial IMO

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    just adding an extra period wont solve the problem. the team winning the flip still has the decided advantage. they either have more possessions or equal possessions. the patriots first drive of yesterday's game lasted for 8 minutes and ended in a touchdown. what if they just repeated that in overtime, and instead of scoring a TD, took 3 extra kneel-downs to kill clock and kick a field goal?

the coinflip at the start of the game matters less because one team starts each half with possession anyway.

the only way to actually balance is to go with a college style format. or you could get even more gimmicky and say there are no kicks allowed (no field goals or punts)

I don't know what the solution is and the current format is much better than the old rules, but I'd still like to see a change..yesterday would have been more fun if Mahomes had a chance, could have made a great game even better..

Something like Rodgers vs. the Cardinals is annoying, for instance..people like seeing great QBs with the game on the line, not a defense blowing it..even better in yesterday's case, where you would have had Brady and Mahomes going back and forth until one of them made a mistake..

The problem is that you can't expect human beings to play football all night, they'll die

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Yeah the rule isn’t perfect, I’m just pointing out that current overtime rules commentary used to be “Well this isn’t the most ideal situation” but now that the Patriots benefit from it the universal reaction is “DEFCON 5 CHANGE THESE RULES IMMEDIATELY”

You're ing crazy. I'm not going to spend the time doing it but go back and look for the comments about the current OT rule. Find where people were saying, "it's not ideal". Instead of "this is a stupid rule".

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    and it's not about the stupid Patriots anyway.
    It's about playoff football and not letting the most exciting QB in the NFL onto the field.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    The OT rule never bothered me

but yeah, it's a pretty flawed rule. If you have two teams that can score at will then whoever has better luck wins the OT. Pretty common for two teams with defense but good offense to meet eachother.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    You’re the one claiming everyone here was already ing about OT rules, you find the ing quotes
    I think you were the one that first made a point about it. You should do it. I'm obviously too busy and don't have the time.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    The OT rule never bothered me

but yeah, it's a pretty flawed rule. If you have two teams that can score at will then whoever has better luck wins the OT. Pretty common for two teams with defense but good offense to meet eachother.
    At the least, change the rules for the playoffs.

Thread Information