Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched the game today after DVRing it.

Anderson, LMA, Joff and Gay all stood out. Particularly Gay and Anderson in my opinion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Gasol's performance is more effort than decline related. He'll have the occasional game, where he's sick of playing a tertiary role, concerned about his counting stats and plays worth a damn, but he'll mostly do as little as possible to get by.

- With Gay and Anderson needed to sop up more SF minutes in Leonard's absence, playing more traditionally is inevitable, but still; if this isn't a product of Lauvergne looking like a steal and was the intent all along, then why is there only 3 traditional bigs?

- With Leonard out, Forbes/Paul will battle for final rotation spot, with Paul more likely to play in opener due to match-ups.

It's possessions like these that can make us special. If he can just get us one or two of these easy scoring possessions without running offense, I can't stress enough how big this is. I mean it's a star move, or at least a star's confidence. My hope is that he can work his way to being the third option. I can't wait to see who the closers are and if he's already moved his way onto the group.
    Depending on where Parker's at after he's been back for a while, we're probably generally looking at Mills, Green, Leonard, Gay, Aldridge.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I complained even back then
    As did i. I was glad he went to chicago. Hes like tiago but lazier

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Gasol's performance is more effort than decline related. He'll have the occasional game, where he's sick of playing a tertiary role, concerned about his counting stats and plays worth a damn, but he'll mostly do as little as possible to get by.
    Indeed. Physically, Pau is probably better off than Tim was in 2014. Pop's inability to get Pau to play to his potential is at least a big of an issue as LMA's play. At least Aldridge has upped his defensive game.

- With Gay and Anderson needed to sop up more SF minutes in Leonard's absence, playing more traditionally is inevitable, but still; if this isn't a product of Lauvergne looking like a steal and was the intent all along, then why is there only 3 traditional bigs?
    Only thing I can guess is that Pop sees Bertans as a PF/C and not a combo-forward. As I've mentioned before, they are actually slightly bigger than they were this time in 2013. I would imagine they have plans in place for other bigs beyond Costello and Brimah. Could see them being attractive on the buyout market. There are a number of centers who could be available.

- With Leonard out, Forbes/Paul will battle for final rotation spot, with Paul more likely to play in opener due to match-ups.
    I'm not sure there is a final spot available. Bertans would be in line for PF minutes at least as much as Forbes or Paul are for wing minutes. We don't know what the plan was for the bench given the roster changes, but Kyle may well have been the 11th man, with his insertion into the SL meaning nothing.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depending on where Parker's at after he's been back for a while, we're probably generally looking at Mills, Green, Leonard, Gay, Aldridge.
    Unfortunately you know Pop is gonna play Ginobili instead of Green.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure there is a final spot available. Bertans would be in line for PF minutes at least as much as Forbes or Paul are for wing minutes. We don't know what the plan was for the bench given the roster changes, but Kyle may well have been the 11th man, with his insertion into the SL meaning nothing.
    I hope that is not the case on Kyle. He's been solid and when given playing time in the playoffs was last season too.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fathead sucks when it matters.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I don't think there's a spot available right now when Kawhi comes back.

as I've said,

Murray/Green/Leonard/LMA/Gasol
    Mills/Manu/Anderson/Gay/Lauvergne

Joff won the back up big spot and Bertans lost his backup 4 spot.

Who closes is the question and it might be disappointing tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I don't think there's a spot available right now when Kawhi comes back.

as I've said,

Murray/Green/Leonard/LMA/Gasol
    Mills/Manu/Anderson/Gay/Lauvergne

Joff won the back up big spot and Bertans lost his backup 4 spot.

Who closes is the question and it might be disappointing tbh
    It's too soon to count Davis out, but he certainly didn't take advantage of a lot of minutes given. Still I will cite Kerr here:

Kerr provided some cautionary perspective about the regular season, saying, “the game gets a lot harder.” He highlighted the fluid nature, saying “the NBA season always has a way of giving everybody a chance” that include injuries and matches to consider.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/1...iors-rotation/

Kerr said that about rookie Jordan Bell... but it also applies to any teams with established rotations and guys who look like good players but without rotation minutes. I think Davis will continue to get opportunities due to his shooting, but he's pretty one dimensional. I just don't expect Kyle to back down from the fight for minutes. He's gained confidence. He may sit at times bc Pop wants to see someone else, but I do expect he will play well. Contract season baby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol has always been a bad defender and lazy player... Dont expect him to change in his old age

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont see what u huys see in KA... He is slow, can't shoot or pass (Simmons was a better passersby even though KA keeps getting credit for his passing) , and his lack of aggressiveness kills our offense (u can only see this if u watch the games, not the numbers)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont see what u huys see in KA... He is slow, can't shoot or pass (Simmons was a better passersby even though KA keeps getting credit for his passing) , and his lack of aggressiveness kills our offense (u can only see this if u watch the games, not the numbers)
    He can shoot, check his percentages during the preseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle could have a break out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This roster seems more versatile than last year.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best part of the game was watching KA completely blow by Harden multiple times.

Sure makes Harden even look more foolish when he tries to counter McHale's comments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This roster seems more versatile than last year.....

Joff looks like a rotational player. Forbes has found his spot. White doesn't look awful. Mills looks like he is 2014 form. And LMA looks like an allstar again.

Success this year will depend on LMA, Gay, and Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joff looks like a rotational player. Forbes has found his spot. White doesn't look awful. Mills looks like he is 2014 form. And LMA looks like an allstar again.

Success this year will depend on LMA, Gay, and Murray.
    I'd say LMA. Gay might add some good stuff. Anything at all that Murray provides will be beneficial.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indeed. Physically, Pau is probably better off than Tim was in 2014. Pop's inability to get Pau to play to his potential is at least a big of an issue as LMA's play. At least Aldridge has upped his defensive game.

Only thing I can guess is that Pop sees Bertans as a PF/C and not a combo-forward. As I've mentioned before, they are actually slightly bigger than they were this time in 2013. I would imagine they have plans in place for other bigs beyond Costello and Brimah. Could see them being attractive on the buyout market. There are a number of centers who could be available.

Yeah, Gasol still has 2 working knees, unlike Duncan, who was on 1 from about '09 on. Pop getting a massive ego like Gasol to temporarily accept a bench role was an example of his clout, since D'Antoni tried and failed after Howard was acquired and Hoiberg supposedly wanted to do the same, but realized he didn't have the clout.

Think Pop sees Bertans as strictly a PF. True, despite lack of true bigs, Spurs remain tall and long. Think you're mistaking C's who teams want to salary dump for buyout options. Most of these types have multiple seasons left, so don't expect to see them bought out. Bogut is one who looks a candidate, but unless they plan to bring over Milutinov next summer, they need a developmental one.

There is with Leonard out. When healthy, 9 and 10 are likely Lauvergne and Anderson. Right now, you're right, Bertans could be in the mix with Paul and Forbes. I just see it as likelier they go with a guard because they need to get a look at some while they can and attempt to sort out the logjam going forward.

Unfortunately you know Pop is gonna play Ginobili instead of Green.
    Sometimes and he'll do the same with Gasol instead of Gay. But generally speaking, expect to see those five close.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information