Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi can't play SG? It's not as if he can't guard them... I actually think our best starting 5 is with Gay at the 3...i don't like him coming off the bench... Thats like benching Dwyane Wade just to get scoring off the bench... Sometimes the best option IS to start ur best 5 players (golden state)

That team would be big, athletic, and a TERROR on the wings and break (Murray seems to be a good shot blocker, and he is active in the passing lanes... Kawhi is Kawhi, and gay is very capable defensively)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tend to think it’s about competing against GS. Starting Green is more helpful trying to contain the monster 1-3 offensive players they have as opposed to moving to out score GS. With that in mind they should look to make sure the units mesh. I’m not saying that’s the best move but some logic behind it as of now. Gay may prove to be a good defender over time, though unlikely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green's coming off a great preseason. Gay os inconsistent. Kawhi can play the two like KD can. That's to say he'd be capable due to pure talent, but it would hurt his strengths, make him guard harder assignments, and make SA clunky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay can become a starter later at the 4 ... I think he will be eased into the season by not playing too many minutes and coming off the bench

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green's coming off a great preseason. Gay os inconsistent. Kawhi can play the two like KD can. That's to say he'd be capable due to pure talent, but it would hurt his strengths, make him guard harder assignments, and make SA clunky.
    Thats basically my thought. Maybe certain lineups or to throw off a defense or something but by and large it just makes the most sense to keep him at SF

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi can't play SG? It's not as if he can't guard them... I actually think our best starting 5 is with Gay at the 3...i don't like him coming off the bench... Thats like benching Dwyane Wade just to get scoring off the bench... Sometimes the best option IS to start ur best 5 players (golden state)

That team would be big, athletic, and a TERROR on the wings and break (Murray seems to be a good shot blocker, and he is active in the passing lanes... Kawhi is Kawhi, and gay is very capable defensively)
    Wait, you think that Georgian scrub is one of Golden State's five best players?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tend to think it’s about competing against GS. Starting Green is more helpful trying to contain the monster 1-3 offensive players they have as opposed to moving to out score GS. With that in mind they should look to make sure the units mesh. I’m not saying that’s the best move but some logic behind it as of now. Gay may prove to be a good defender over time, though unlikely.
    I'd take Gays defense and length over Danny Green's any day... Who in the playoffs has not torched Green last year? Plus u are ignoring the fact that Danny causes a lot of bad offensive possessions because good teams force him to dribble which leads to disaster (and a fast break on the other end)... I swear Green is untouchable the way ppl talk about him on here... I even wonder if he has multiple accounts on here like KD does

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is a better center? Plz dont say the perennial Shaqting a fool winner

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Preseason doesn't count if you're Simmons, but when it's D-League, it earns you a starting spot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd take Gays defense and length over Danny Green's any day... Who in the playoffs has not torched Green last year? Plus u are ignoring the fact that Danny causes a lot of bad offensive possessions because good teams force him to dribble which leads to disaster (and a fast break on the other end)... I swear Green is untouchable the way ppl talk about him on here... I even wonder if he has multiple accounts on here like KD does
    In your starting lineup vs GS, who plays point and who guards who?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's their best center, but I was under the impression you were saying he was one of their five best players, regardless of position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's their best center, but I was under the impression you were saying he was one of their five best players, regardless of position.
    No... I meant position - wise... Lol... That turd is their best by default

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In your starting lineup vs GS, who plays point and who guards who?
    Murray of course... You're not gonna stop curry regardless... At least Murray will be able to take it to him on the other end...

Danny has been getting torched recently, so him guarding curry, plus providing nothing on the next end (Danny was one of the worst players vs every team we played in the playoffs, especially golden state) is a recipe to get blown out... For goodness sakes Simmons outplayed Danny vs golden state and Simmons was constantly thrashed on the forums... Gay and kawhi can handle klay and Durant... I'd even put gay on klay since kawhi pretty much owns Durant...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray of course... You're not gonna stop curry regardless... At least Murray will be able to take it to him on the other end...

Danny has been getting torched recently, so him guarding curry, plus providing nothing on the next end (Danny was one of the worst players vs every team we played in the playoffs, especially golden state) is a recipe to get blown out... For goodness sakes Simmons outplayed Danny vs golden state and Simmons was constantly thrashed on the forums... Gay and kawhi can handle klay and Durant... I'd even put gay on klay since kawhi pretty much owns Durant...
    I agree Murray based on potential has to be the one. The only guys that are locks as starters are Kawhi and LMA. I’m not sure if the debate around who should start should be Green vs Gay but Green vs the other big. Whose playing 4/5 in your starting lineup besides Aldridge? I think the three most talented Spurs on offense that aren’t ancient right now are Kawhi, Gay, and LMA. I certainly wouldn’t mind Gay as a starter.

The whole conversation is sobering in that the Spurs are rolling out so many unknowns. Can Murray capture any of his potential? Green had been frustrating since the last chip, can he finally have a rebound year? Is Gay’s achilles going to take any hope of him having a positive impact on defense? Is LMA going to play to his potential? What do the Spurs have in KA, Bertrans, and Forbes? Is there a center on the roster capable of playing in the NBA? Every one of those questions needs to have a positive answer for the Spurs to ring. Scary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Murray based on potential has to be the one. The only guys that are locks as starters are Kawhi and LMA. I’m not sure if the debate around who should start should be Green vs Gay but Green vs the other big. Whose playing 4/5 in your starting lineup besides Aldridge? I think the three most talented Spurs on offense that aren’t ancient right now are Kawhi, Gay, and LMA. I certainly wouldn’t mind Gay as a starter.

The whole conversation is sobering in that the Spurs are rolling out so many unknowns. Can Murray capture any of his potential? Green had been frustrating since the last chip, can he finally have a rebound year? Is Gay’s achilles going to take any hope of him having a positive impact on defense? Is LMA going to play to his potential? What do the Spurs have in KA, Bertrans, and Forbes? Is there a center on the roster capable of playing in the NBA? Every one of those questions needs to have a positive answer for the Spurs to ring. Scary.
    My starting lineup would be Murray, Kawhi, Gay, Aldridge, and either Joff or Davis at center... That is a great spacing team where Murray can go crazy with his drives (same with kawhi and gay) and that can move their feet defensively (Gasol is waaay too slow for today's NBA)...
    We will have ppl who can take it off the boards and start the break (except Aldridge)... And Davis is pretty active defensively and jumps well to contest shots... I was very impressed with his defense on Zach Randolph in the playoffs... For a guy that was torching us, he barely scored on Davis, and you could tell it was frustrating him to the point where he was throwing up bad shots in hope of getting a call

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My starting lineup would be Murray, Kawhi, Gay, Aldridge, and either Joff or Davis at center... That is a great spacing team where Murray can go crazy with his drives (same with kawhi and gay) and that can move their feet defensively (Gasol is waaay too slow for today's NBA)...
    We will have ppl who can take it off the boards and start the break (except Aldridge)... And Davis is pretty active defensively and jumps well to contest shots... I was very impressed with his defense on Zach Randolph in the playoffs... For a guy that was torching us, he barely scored on Davis, and you could tell it was frustrating him to the point where he was throwing up bad shots in hope of getting a call
    I am probably the biggest Davis fan on this site, but he's had a weak preseason. He's going to have to show us more just to break into the rotation much less consider starting. In your scenario I'd start Joff. That said, the two things Gasol can still do (pass and shoot 3s) are more needed in the starting unit than the bench. He's got a nice big to big thing with LMA that reminds me of what Timmy did with LMA his first year. I don't want to get into all this junk about the deficiencies of Pau. But he's going to be a roation player, and if so, fits better as a starter I think than the bench.
    Last edited by BillMc; 10-16-2017 at 07:53 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me, it's not about Green.
    Rudy Gay is going to be the man in the bench in the playoffs. It has been problem the past couple of seasons that when Kawhi sits down, the bench can't stay afloat. Quite simply, Manu is inconsistent. His usage in the playoffs has gone way down and the last playoffs he was held scoreless for 5 straight games. He ended up in a high note individually but he's unreliable. Patty is a guy who is better off the ball looking for his shot, off other people or coming off screens. In the playoffs if he has a half way decent defender on him, he hasn't been efficient and his scoring has suffered. In the past couple of postseasons, Mills scoring output off the bench went kaput and whenever Kawhi sat down the bench couldn't score. So I think Rudy Gay was brought in to address that problem. If he's going to be THAT guy, he has to play with the bench to get chemistry. He will eventually likely play both with the bench and starting lineups and the 3 and 4, like he did in the dress rehearsal game against the Rockets.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 10-16-2017 at 08:06 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am probably the biggest Davis fan on this site, but he's had a weak preseason. He's going to have to show us more just to break into the rotation much less consider starting. In your scenario I'd start Joff. That said, the two things Gasol can still do (pass and shoot 3s) are more needed in the starting unit than the bench. He's got a nice big to big thing with LMA that reminds me of what Timmy did with LMA his first year. I don't want to get into all this junk about the deficiencies of Pau. But he's going to be a roation player, and if so, fits better as a starter I think than the bench.
    We need to stop focusing on what Gasol offers and ask ourselves if the negatives outweigh the positives... And I think it does... Gasol has been frustratingly bad on defense even before he was old... Now not only is it worse, but the NBA currently is no place for plodders

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Preseason doesn't count if you're Simmons, but when it's D-League, it earns you a starting spot
    Green already has a starting spot. He didn't need to "earn it"; otherwise, Kawhi shouldn't start, because he hasn't been able to "earn" anything this pre-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd take Gays defense and length over Danny Green's any day...
    Gay has been a negative player most of his career in large part because he's a bad defensive player. I know your "eye-test" has already been called into question with your previous description of the Spurs' D, but statements like this don't help anyone take you seriously.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay has been a negative player most of his career in large part because he's a bad defensive player. I know your "eye-test" has already been called into question with your previous description of the Spurs' D, but statements like this don't help anyone take you seriously.
    According to what stat? Not questioning this, just legitimate curious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy Gay is going to be the man in the bench in the playoffs. It has been problem the past couple of seasons that when Kawhi sits down, the bench can't stay afloat. Quite simply, Manu is inconsistent. His usage in the playoffs has gone way down and the last playoffs he was held scoreless for 5 straight games. He ended up in a high note individually but he's unreliable. Patty is a guy who is better off the ball looking for his shot, off other people or coming off screens. In the playoffs if he has a half way decent defender on him, he hasn't been efficient and his scoring has suffered. In the past couple of postseasons, Mills scoring output off the bench went kaput and whenever Kawhi sat down the bench couldn't score. So I think Rudy Gay was brought in to address that problem. If he's going to be THAT guy, he has to play with the bench to get chemistry. He will eventually likely play both with the bench and starting lineups and the 3 and 4, like he did in the dress rehearsal game against the Rockets.

That's why I prefer Gasol coming off the bench... Not only doesn't he have to guard high caliber pick and tools, but he can post up and have the offense run through him... Rudy is too good to be on the bench... Even pop had to start ginobili at times in his prime during the playoffs because we needed our 5 best players starting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's why I prefer Gasol coming off the bench... Not only doesn't he have to guard high caliber pick and tools, but he can post up and have the offense run through him... Rudy is too good to be on the bench... Even pop had to start ginobili at times in his prime during the playoffs because we needed our 5 best players starting

Thread Information