Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and to the guy that said soccer is not for super big athletes

If you start playing soccer hoods from age 5 you will end up with very capable small fast players

Human bodies will adjust if started at a young age

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lmao not mentioning fatball ^
    Beisbol still produces a superior athlete if we account for skill as well as athletic ability since the skill of a beisbol player far outweighs the athletic ability of some gay dude running on a field for 2 hours

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only skill fatball players display is when they carry 3 full plates to their buffet tables

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Still more skill than ping ponging a ball between your teammates for two hours while jogging, not sure why people consider that a sport when it's just moderate exercise

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Oh and to the guy that said soccer is not for super big athletes

If you start playing soccer hoods from age 5 you will end up with very capable small fast players

Human bodies will adjust if started at a young age
    son let me introduce you to something called genetics. training helps a lot but lebron will never have messi's laternal quickness, and both are elite athletically (albeit at very different traits).

they need to scout properly and develop them properly. Scout for talent and vision. Develop technique, intelligence, tactics and pitch rotation/coverage, positioning and cooperation... nobody would describe xavi/iniesta/zidane/higuain/raul/shearer/schweinsteiger/scholes as very athletic, yet they were all world class players of very different styles.

I can bet you right now they do the same england was doing till 5-6 years ago, picking the big strong boys and letting 'em kick it about. No triangle/man in the middle/passing training, no training for out of position, no training for tiring the other team out, no training for shifting tactical systems and for pitch coverage, no training with a heavier/smaller ball, no training on super quick surfaces, no ball interaction minimization training (2 touch, max time with ball, etc). Even if they're talented young players they need this to find their strengths and evolve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron would have probably never been a great soccer player

But his little cousin who works at walmart possibly could

I am not saying todays NBAers would make soccer stars

U are under the delusion all hood citizens are 309 pound 6.8 footers

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lebron would have probably never been a great soccer player

But his little cousin who works at walmart possibly could

I am not saying todays NBAers would make soccer stars

U are under the delusion all hood citizens are 309 pound 6.8 footers
    Lebron would definitely suck at football.

agree on his little cousin. Son I've never been in the hood so I'm making no assumptions tbh. Still the little cousin would need (academy) training from a young age, football needs social development, you can't work on individual skills like in basketball (shooting, ball handling, athleticism, etc).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want a decent to good analogy, look at billiards. Snooker players can wreck most 9 ball players because they have to be more precise in everything to compete, so they aim small, miss small. Then you have a guy like Efren Reyes who played on his front porch, but he played against guys like Bustamante and people were falling over themselves to get a crack at him. American players play cute, powerful breaks, lots of cue ball movement for effect, three rail shapes instead of a simple draw off a single rail because it shows their skill. The same guy probably couldn't make a long shot on a 12' regulation snooker table but the snooker player see's the holes on 9' tables like 55 gallon drums.

I'd think soccer is like that.
    Fellow pool fan/player on here, nice. Going off topic now...

I've always enjoyed this debate (snooker vs. pool), and snooker players usually lose to 9-ball/pool players (exception Alison Fisher on the women's tour, which was never a deep field) playing pool. I remember O'Sullivan entering the IPT World 8-Ball championship (when pool pretended to have big money behind it from Kevin Trudeau's sponsorship) and he got thrashed pretty good by Johnny Archer.

The problems snooker players have when moving to pool is dealing with the bigger and heavier balls, the increased deflection and squirt of those balls (snooker players, ironically, will sometimes miss very easy shots on pool tables), mastering shots that use a lot of English, since snooker players play center ball most of the time, and the assorted arsenal of bank, jump, kick and masse shots you need to often salvage runs and escape lock down safeties. They also have terrible breaks, as well. I agree that snooker players have an easier time adjusting to 9 ball than the other way around, but I dislike 9 ball as a tournament game. Races to 7, 9, 11 are too short (as you know, game has a lot of variance. You or I could beat the best player in the world in a race to 3, i.e. snap on the 9 on the break twice in a row, break, get lucky and leave opponent locked up. Ball in hand. Run out, etc.) "Real" 9 ball was always a gambling game played over marathon sessions of races to 100 and such.

American players actually keep position play simple. Efren was the first player to really utilize going multiple rails frequently to get on a ball. Most of the Filipinos play like that (aside from Parica who kept it more simple and always looked to play natural position using tangent lines and center ball, since shooting with a lot English can lead to losing the cue ball.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 10-17-2017 at 10:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron would definitely suck at football.

agree on his little cousin. Son I've never been in the hood so I'm making no assumptions tbh. Still the little cousin would need (academy) training from a young age, football needs social development, you can't work on individual skills like in basketball (shooting, ball handling, athleticism, etc).
    Of course youd eventually need academy training

But kids in Brazil grow up poaying soccer on the streets and Brazil is currently the best

The same thing could happen with hood citizens here if there was money in soccer as compared to the other american sports

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fellow pool fan/player on here, nice. Going off topic now...

I've always enjoyed this debate (snooker vs. pool), and snooker players usually lose to 9-ball/pool players (exception Alison Fisher on the women's tour, which was never a deep field) playing pool. I remember O'Sullivan entering the IPT World 8-Ball championship (when pool pretended to have big money behind it from Kevin Trudeau's sponsorship) and he got thrashed pretty good by Johnny Archer.

The problems snooker players have when moving to pool is dealing with the bigger and heavier balls, the increased deflection and squirt of those balls (snooker players, ironically, will sometimes miss very easy shots on pool tables), mastering shots that use a lot of English, since snooker players play center ball most of the time, and the assorted arsenal of bank, jump, kick and masse shots you need to often salvage runs and escape lock down safeties. They also have terrible breaks, as well. I agree that snooker players have an easier time adjusting to 9 ball than the other way around, but I dislike 9 ball as a tournament game. Races to 7, 9, 11 are too short (as you know, game has a lot of variance. You or I could beat the best player in the world in a race to 3, i.e. snap on the 9 on the break twice in a row, break, get lucky and leave opponent locked up. Ball in hand. Run out, etc.) "Real" 9 ball was always a gambling game played over marathon sessions of races to 100 and such.

American players actually keep position play simple. Efren was the first player to really utilize going multiple rails frequently to get on a ball. Most of the Filipinos play like that (aside from Parica who kept it more simple and always looked to play natural position using tangent lines and center ball, since shooting with a lot English can lead to losing the cue ball.
    Of course, you cannot just walk from a snooker table to a regulation pocket billiard table and play the same way. The amount of error allowed in billiards increases as the table size diminishes, but the balls stay the same size so what happens is clutter. This is where the Filipinos excel, games like one pocket and 14-1.

What you say about beating the best, I actually did that many years ago because the best never got to the table. I wouldn't have won otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, you cannot just walk from a snooker table to a regulation pocket billiard table and play the same way. The amount of error allowed in billiards increases as the table size diminishes, but the balls stay the same size so what happens is clutter. This is where the Filipinos excel, games like one pocket and 14-1.

What you say about beating the best, I actually did that many years ago because the best never got to the table. I wouldn't have won otherwise.
    Who did you play?

Let's see. Texas? CJ Wiley?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who did you play?

Let's see. Texas? CJ Wiley?
    No, no one that good. It was Jeannette Lee who was the world 9 ball champ at the time. She couldn't beat CJ on her best day.

But if they never get to the table, they never get a shot. It doesn't matter who the other player was. This wasn't alternating break format. Made the 9 twice on the break and had an easy 6-9 combination on the 3rd rack. It was an exhibition match, first to 3 games and since she was the pro she let me break. I have pictures of her choking me (she has a huge diamond ring).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, no one that good. It was Jeannette Lee who was the world 9 ball champ at the time. She couldn't beat CJ on her best day.

But if they never get to the table, they never get a shot. It doesn't matter who the other player was. This wasn't alternating break format. Made the 9 twice on the break and had an easy 6-9 combination on the 3rd rack. It was an exhibition match, first to 3 games and since she was the pro she let me break. I have pictures of her choking me (she has a huge diamond ring).
    Awesome story.

CJ was a beast. Probably the best money player in the world during the 80's. Had some legendary battles with Parica. 30/40 hour sessions and .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome story.

CJ was a beast. Probably the best money player in the world during the 80's. Had some legendary battles with Parica. 30/40 hour sessions and .
    I played against him all night once the day prior to the Texas 9 ball open. I should say I watched him play. He moves like he's on rails, dude is smooth as silk. Never misses.

Thread Information