Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you can't trade his contract before the guaranteed date?
    Not the way I think you're thinking. Now, only the guaranteed portion counts in a trade, so rather than using the contract to bring in $20-Million guy, you can bring in a $10-Million guy, and that's if you can get past complicated matching rules.

However, if you mean trading him away to dump his $7 Million, that's another story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not the way I think you're thinking. Now, only the guaranteed portion counts in a trade, so rather than using the contract to bring in $20-Million guy, you can bring in a $10-Million guy, and that's if you can get past complicated matching rules.

However, if you mean trading him away to dump his $7 Million, that's another story.
    After this particular change in the new CBA I thought these kind of partially guaranteed contracts will not be that common, but I guess there's more to them and they will be useful in the end.

We'll see how they'll handle Pau's contract. I imagine there could be teams very interested at the 2019 trade deadline.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For what we paid for LA ,it was a bargain. What if he fits in now and nails it. If
    if he stinks up the place now he is very tradeable now with a long term deal
    thats far from a max deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love went for 110mil for 5 years. Griffin 170mil for 5 years. Millsap 90mil for 3 years. Ibaka 65mil for 3 years. LMA gave us a discount. Great deal for spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After this particular change in the new CBA I thought these kind of partially guaranteed contracts will not be that common, but I guess there's more to them and they will be useful in the end.

We'll see how they'll handle Pau's contract. I imagine there could be teams very interested at the 2019 trade deadline.
    I think deals like Pau's will remain in order to do what they were meant to do. But deals like Erick Dampier's "Dust Chip" won't have the same value. I fully don't believe that PATFO gave Pau his deal in order to trade him in 16 months. You're right that teams might have interest in his deal (though likely not as much as they would in a straight expiring), but I am not sure PATFO wants what those teams are selling. There are worst contracts that Pau's out there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lma is still very talented. I have no issue with it

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disgusting that this is our inside man. Not only does he not have any real insider info, but he's completely indifferent about the team he covers.
    Our media guys root for other teams brah.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he gonna get fat again.
    I hope not. Let's sign a pe ion or something for LMa to play like he needs the contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if he stinks up the place now he is very tradeable now with a long term deal
    thats far from a max deal.
    Except if he stinks up the place it drastically lowers his tradability.

Of course in todays NBA who knows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA playing great now and this show of support from PATFO will likely go a long way. Rudy, Kawhi, and LMA are being underestimated. Throw in Danny and best pg and we might surprise a few people. Bummed Kawhi is missing the opener, but I'm going to be there!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll just pull out the quotes from the article (Aldridge talking about the contract, preseason play and having a "heart-to-heart" with Pop):

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...on-with-spurs/

“It has to because signing that means both sides wanted it,” Aldridge said Tuesday. “It’s not one-sided. I’m happy to sign it. I feel like they are happy to have me sign it. I feel like everything is great.”

“I feel like the talks this summer were very constructive and were kind of needed, having a heart to heart where you just say how you feel,” Aldridge said. “And I feel like Pop has been great about the things that I said or kind of needed or wanted, and so far it’s been great.”

“I’m happy to be here,” Aldridge said. “It just worked out for both sides. I feel like this preseason has been great for myself, trying to find my rhythm and be myself. I feel like the offense has had some tweaks to it to where I’m feeling more comfortable and I feel like I am helping the team more. Pop told me he was happy about it. It’s working out for us."

“(The contract talks) just came out of the blue and kept going,” Aldridge said. “I feel like once it sided, both sides were very interested. I didn’t (study) the market. I just went off how I feel. Pop has been great, and this preseason has made me feel so much more comfortable out there. I have been myself and I feel like I am going to help us win. So, I went off how I felt, in the moment and I did it.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The key will be allowing Kawhi to dominate, but still allowing LMA to feel /be a part of the offense. It's unfortunate they couldn't see much time on the court together this summer to work on it, but hopefully they kind of pick up where the left off in the WCF. The offense was quite fluid and both guys were doing their thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy , it really did come out of nowhere.

Also, this lends credence to the idea that the Spurs were more worried about him walking than they were inclined to get rid of him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive stated this multiple times...

But Kawhi going from an up and coming star to MVP/Superstar in an offseason really made things different for both Spurs and LMA.

When he signed in the summer... Kawhi wasn't yet the absolute dominant scorer and actually had shaky moments against Matt Barnes and the Clippers in the playoffs.

Year one was always about fitting in but then Kawhi just absolutely became a monster. Yes LMA has had issues that go deeper but tbh it's all about the mind set...and it just made things more difficult.

Good to see both sides got over whatever issues...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Also, this lends credence to the idea that the Spurs were more worried about him walking than they were inclined to get rid of him.

Which could've been a domino to fall for Kawhi feeling "uncomfortable" with roster going forward..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which could've been a domino to fall for Kawhi feeling "uncomfortable" with roster going forward..
    Maybe. If Kawhi and LMA can figure it out, the team will have the offensive foundation it needs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA is an insufferable got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I always interpreted what went down over the summer as Lamarcus being the one asking out... that is why I believed he was unhappy, he deleted tweets, etc... did everything that he did over the summer. He was the one who wanted out. That puts the billboard in context etc. He completely had a change of heart after sitting down with Pop and getting things off his chest that were bothering him and he had been keeping to himself.

I hope it works out. He seems genuinely happy and Spurs are set with a good foundation if both Kawhi and Lamarcus play to their potential with the roleplayers growing up in their roles through the season. I certainly don't feel bad about this contract. Glad to have him locked up in fact. Now the Spurs can focus on others next summer and don't have the uncertainties that supposedly scared CP3 in FA about roster instability.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 10-17-2017 at 02:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always interpreted what went down over the summer as Lamarcus being the one asking out... that is why I believed he was unhappy, he deleted tweets, etc... did everything that he did over the summer. He was the one who wanted out. That puts the billboard in context etc. He completely had a change of heart after sitting down with Pop and getting things off his chest that were bothering him and he had been keeping to himself.

I hope it works out. He seems genuinely happy and Spurs are set with a good foundation if both Kawhi and Lamarcus play to their potential with the roleplayers growing up in their roles through the season. I certainly don't feel bad about this contract. Glad to have him locked up in fact. Now the Spurs can focus on others next summer and don't have the uncertainties that supposedly scared CP3 in FA about roster instability.
    Well said. It would look bad if the one marquee FA this franchise ever signed quit on the team after 2 years. Obviously, the uncertainty doomed the possibilities of Paul (a blessing in disguise maybe) and would harm future FA interest. Now, there's a foundation. If a young guy blossoms or Rudy turns into a legit 3rd wheel who knows what the ceiling is. Now, please get healthy and stay healthy Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll just pull out the quotes from the article (Aldridge talking about the contract, preseason play and having a "heart-to-heart" with Pop):

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...on-with-spurs/

“It has to because signing that means both sides wanted it,” Aldridge said Tuesday. “It’s not one-sided. I’m happy to sign it. I feel like they are happy to have me sign it. I feel like everything is great.”

“I feel like the talks this summer were very constructive and were kind of needed, having a heart to heart where you just say how you feel,” Aldridge said. “And I feel like Pop has been great about the things that I said or kind of needed or wanted, and so far it’s been great.”

“I’m happy to be here,” Aldridge said. “It just worked out for both sides. I feel like this preseason has been great for myself, trying to find my rhythm and be myself. I feel like the offense has had some tweaks to it to where I’m feeling more comfortable and I feel like I am helping the team more. Pop told me he was happy about it. It’s working out for us."

“(The contract talks) just came out of the blue and kept going,” Aldridge said. “I feel like once it sided, both sides were very interested. I didn’t (study) the market. I just went off how I feel. Pop has been great, and this preseason has made me feel so much more comfortable out there. I have been myself and I feel like I am going to help us win. So, I went off how I felt, in the moment and I did it.”
    Good post. Thanks for the summary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA playing great now and this show of support from PATFO will likely go a long way. Rudy, Kawhi, and LMA are being underestimated. Throw in Danny and best pg and we might surprise a few people. Bummed Kawhi is missing the opener, but I'm going to be there!
    Is this guy on drugs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a difference one preseason, one heart-to-heart and 72 million dollars make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a difference one preseason, one heart-to-heart and 72 million dollars make.
    They actually gave him only $31 Million more than he was already guaranteed. This is what I think it his contract looks like:

Year Salary
    2017-2018 $21,461,010
    2018-2019 $22,347,015
    2019-2020 $24,134,776
    2020-2021 $25,922,537

That'd be him opting out and getting a new $72.4M/3 extension. If you take out the option year and only count $7 Million of his last year, you have $31,124,015. Honestly not bad, but it's similar to Parker's last deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They actually gave him only $31 Million more than he was already guaranteed. This is what I think it his contract looks like:

Year Salary
    2017-2018 $21,461,010
    2018-2019 $22,347,015
    2019-2020 $24,134,776
    2020-2021 $25,922,537

That'd be him opting out and getting a new $72.4M/3 extension. If you take out the option year and only count $7 Million of his last year, you have $31,124,015. Honestly not bad, but it's similar to Parker's last deal.
    Wait, I thought he opted in for 2018-19, and the extension doesn't start until 2019-20. So, I thought the Spurs had him wrapped up until 2021-2022 (though only 7 mill was guaranteed that last year) . I'm probably wrong. You're the cap guy.

Thread Information