Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't make sense with Gasol as he'll certainly be retired by then. But the partial guarantee in the last year gives the team some negotiating power to add an extra year. I wonder if there's offset language if cut and another team pays him.

Or can stretch with a $2.3mm hit each year for three if it's really bad.
    Are we talking Pau or LMA? Both essentially signed two-year deals with $7ish Million guaranteed in a final year. But whereas Pau's deal simply doesn't make sense, LMA's does. There's a legit chance that Aldridge is still good enough to earn that last year. For Pau, it seems like ill-advised going-away money (like with McDyess).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus christ, I'm terrified of what Porky's deal is going to look like.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hi All.

I'm good with this. Spurs are doing the same thing they have for a long time now; doing their best to re-tool while still trying to be a viable contender. This jives with that in a major way. Despite the drama and "lack" of production, this team with LMA has been to a WCF and had tremendous success in the regular season.
    That "lack" of production means that the Spurs having success in the regular season had little to do with LMA being on the team since we can't even mention at least 20 great, dominant games from him in last regular season.

Any improvement in comfort from LMA results in a big time boost as long as some of the younger guys produce.
    IDK...I guess the Spurs will regret this deal in two-three years...LMA's extension is setting a bad precedent for next years.

Any decent Spurs' player like Murray -or a top pick if the Spurs can get one-, can think the team should give him an extension after a bad season if he has a whinny at ude about his stats and the market-Spurs' cap situation are forcing the team to give him a deal.

72/3 isn't horrible but I find it all a bad joke.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 10-16-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This offseason:

Slight overpay for Patty, Pau deal was terrible, Kawhi possibly hurt for a while....well at least the season is starting....that's some good news at least.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wonder what leonard thoughts are on this
    Kawhi wasn't consulted about Spurs' offseason moves so I doubt the team asked his opinion about this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny and DJ on the extension talk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The final year is the problem. They should have given him $39M/2 instead. Can't keep having dead money on the cap. It's insane an NBA team has as much as the Spurs and Blazers do as it is.
    Surely he would retire after next season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surely he would retire after next season?
    He may well, but even if he does, he likely gets the money. My guess is the Spurs gave him that year to keep his salary down. They did that to McDyess in 2009 for similar, though not identical reasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He may well, but even if he does, he likely gets the money. My guess is the Spurs gave him that year to keep his salary down. They did that to McDyess in 2009 for similar, though not identical reasons.
    That doesn't eat cap space after he retires does it? Seems like, as bad as the Gasol deal is, it will be fairly easy to dump his contract, given it is essentially expiring. Teams will be so desperate to clear space for the free agents, there would be plenty willing to take on his contract then buy him out. Seems like that would be the Spurs best chance of getting anyone, considering we have a very low chance of getting any decent free agents (even mid level).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That doesn't eat cap space after he retires does it? Seems like, as bad as the Gasol deal is, it will be fairly easy to dump his contract, given it is essentially expiring. Teams will be so desperate to clear space for the free agents, there would be plenty willing to take on his contract then buy him out. Seems like that would be the Spurs best chance of getting anyone, considering we have a very low chance of getting any decent free agents (even mid level).
    It counts, just like it's still counting from Tim. But Gasol would have to be traded by February of 2019 for his contract to work. Partially guaranteed deals don't really work for trades under the new CBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, this team has become so unlikeable in just a couple years since the 2014 championship

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It counts, just like it's still counting from Tim. But Gasol would have to be traded by February of 2019 for his contract to work. Partially guaranteed deals don't really work for trades under the new CBA

So you can't trade his contract before the guaranteed date?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is a soldier. He trusts PATFO completely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi wasn't consulted about Spurs' offseason moves so I doubt the team asked his opinion about this one.

manu kept the choice to himself but surely Kawhi knew that Pop wanted his bar of soap back like all of us knew.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What. The. .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great deal. 3 and $55 mil is a serious discount in this market. Now he'd better concentrate on his game and show what he's capable of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    manu kept the choice to himself but surely Kawhi knew that Pop wanted his bar of soap back like all of us knew.
    Kawhi knowing that Pop wanna do something doesn't mean that Kawhi has been consulted about...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, when can we extend Kawhi for the Super Max?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You heard it. While today's nba is napping, we have pounced. Heading down to vacuum the Riverboat.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perfect way to cap off the worst Spurs offseason in recent memory. Surprised there was no Parker extension. Goodbye future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi knowing that Pop wanna do something doesn't mean that Kawhi has been consulted about...
    That’s true.
    He wouldn’t have opposed though even if they had.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's a bit more coin than i would have liked, but it's still very good news.

Thread Information