Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy is a very very pleasant surprise tbh... he is fitting very well with the team, has good at ude and playing rock solid ball... very underrated move by Spurs FO

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was at the game, man it went late.

Green did a great job on Butler.
    Anderson did pretty good at SF and guarding Wiggins. I think most of Wiggins points came against other defenders.
    Gay looked good offensively, but a little slow. But hey, being tall and long overcomes that.
    Gasol was good in the paint, but looked lost in the 2nd half.
    LMA was great until the last 3 minutes. He needs to step up in money time.
    Manu at 40 was legit good. Amazing what he can do at that age.
    Murray did great getting to the rim, but had a horrible turnover in the open court and forced it a time or two. His defense was good, but Pop didn’t trust him to finish the game.
    Patty was mostly bad.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy is a very very pleasant surprise tbh... he is fitting very well with the team, has good at ude and playing rock solid ball... very underrated move by Spurs FO
    I'm not the kind to rub it in anyone’s face, but I can think of a few on here that absolutely hated the move. I was indifferent at the time of signing but after preseason and last night, I’m quickly swaying in favor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not the kind to rub it in anyone’s face, but I can think of a few on here that absolutely hated the move. I was indifferent at the time of signing but after preseason and last night, I’m quickly swaying in favor
    I called Rudy in the Spurs on the pre-season topic before the start of the FA, but the "experts" here said he does not fit, is inefficient, etc, etc. People underestimate the work of Pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly! I was like hahahaha

I remember one of you during last year's playoff called him a "towel waving mutha a better start knocking down shot or else..."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Initially I questioned Rudy's efficiency and the fact his former teams improved without him, which is a general narrative he's had for his career... but what I really was concerned about was his return from that achilles injury. However, he is very strong, tall and with wingspan length, so that even if he lost a half a step for example, he's still very good offensively. Also, he's a good shooter and is used to making plays offensively so he's been a very good addition.

On another note, I am sure Bertans will have better games, but he's looking like the 5th big right now. When Kawhi gets back, Rudy will play minutes at the 4 and the little time that I saw the bench lineup with Kyle in, they played well together with Manu, et al. That was a look I hadn't seen all preseason bc Bertans got all the bench minutes and Kyle was starting. Bertans needs to be better or I could see the Spurs picking up another big midseason if there are injuries. Something to watch out for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really wonder if not getting chris Paul was a blessing in disguise. In two years, do you want CP3 at 20+ million, or DJ on his minimum contract? Kawhi will still only be 28.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A writeup of the game:

• Gasol looks great to start the season. He looks in shape after playing all summer for Spain.
    • Dejounte Murray is making the most of his opportunity, and he’s also becoming a leader by speaking up in player huddles.
    • Rudy Gay seems healthy. He seems like a guy who knows how to score the basketball.
    • Jeff Teague had a terrific block on Kyle Anderson when it looked like he had an easy breakaway dunk. That was a great hustle play.
    • LaMarcus Aldridge looked much more interested in playing basketball tonight than he looked at any point last season.
    • After playing great for the time he was in, Jeff Teague sat out the fourth quarter, for no apparent reason. There’s no understanding Coach Thibs.
    • Speaking of that, Thibs called a timeout with his team down by 10 with 10 seconds left, no doubt to perfect that 10 point play that they rolled out in preseason.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/10/18/16501864/minnesota-at-san-antonio-final-score-spurs-overpower-the-timberwolves-on-opening-day

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny gets a D+ or C- from me. Some really stupid decision making.
    He won his match-up with the Wolves' best player. Hard to ask for more.

Repeated terrible 3 point shots for one. OTOH he shot 3-7 from downtown so it's whatever.
    I didn't see horrible shots. People ed about that transition three, but Danny used to take those all the time in 2013-2015. They look bad when they miss, but they break the back of the opponents when they go in. In a game without Kawhi and Parker, Green took it upon himself to be more aggressive offensively. The results were mixed, but that's just to be expected for a guy who's trying to add new parts to his game and who relies on jumpshots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i give the B- on aldridge a C.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey great job. Next time try to include all the starters. God this site sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won his match-up with the Wolves' best player. Hard to ask for more.

I didn't see horrible shots. People ed about that transition three, but Danny used to take those all the time in 2013-2015. They look bad when they miss, but they break the back of the opponents when they go in. In a game without Kawhi and Parker, Green took it upon himself to be more aggressive offensively. The results were mixed, but that's just to be expected for a guy who's trying to add new parts to his game and who relies on jumpshots.
    Thanks for setting the record straight. Danny set a record for 3-point shooting in the 2014 finals shooting those open 3-balls on one-man breaks. I called him (and Kyle) unsung heroes of the game last night. If they both play like that the rest of the season the Spurs could, indeed, be contenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ is the truth. Saying the right words, doing the right things.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Don't mind Green shooting off the dribble and driving closeouts, so long as he avoids attempting to do more.

- Crawford was the comparison for Murray when he was drafted, but I see some Wall. He's not on his level as an athlete or play maker, but has better vision than initially credited for.

- Long way to go obviously, but if he plays well and team does too, it's going to get awkward when Parker returns.

- It goes mostly unnoticed because of lack of athleticism and traditional bigs, but Spurs might be longest team in league.

- Don't get Pop trying to play as big and with as little shooting as possible in the 1st half, even as Timberwolves went small. If that's the intention, why the unbalanced roster?

- Poor as the off season was as a whole, if Pop works the rotation properly, they get competent starting PG play and relative health, this could be best iteration since '14.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm picking up what you're laying down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy Gay is gonna be key for us

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Don't mind Green shooting off the dribble and driving closeouts, so long as he avoids attempting to do more.

- Crawford was the comparison for Murray when he was drafted, but I see some Wall. He's not on his level as an athlete or play maker, but has better vision than initially credited for.

- Long way to go obviously, but if he plays well and team does too, it's going to get awkward when Parker returns.

- It goes mostly unnoticed because of lack of athleticism and traditional bigs, but Spurs might be longest team in league.

- Don't get Pop trying to play as big and with as little shooting as possible in the 1st half, even as Timberwolves went small. If that's the intention, why the unbalanced roster?

- Poor as the off season was as a whole, if Pop works the rotation properly, they get competent starting PG play and relative health, this could be best iteration since '14.
    Totally agree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eff the micro-analysis.
    You know this team doesn't even scout teams during the season.

It's about growth and finding rotation and this team hasn't even begun.

Kawhi is coming like Winter. Parker is following.

Let us all hope for the best and a most successful playoff run after a dominating regular season where the team peaks at the right time.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -

Saw some shades of BG. Hopefully they can continue to build off that, but the ball movement last night was a better sign than the last two years.

I really like this team. Probably the deepest team we've had in years. Not like we got an Ayers or something. Everyone in the rotation can ball and the fringe players can do things well. Even Pau has his moments, so it really isn't as bad as we make it out to be. Pop took him out at the right time though.

My biggest takeaway was the late game play of Rudy Gay. I mentioned in the GT that I wanted to see how LMA performed under pressure cause I doubted that had improved, and also mentioned the need for a closer. Thought Gay might be it and he was. Very impressive. Having another closer is huge. He made a couple big assists and baskets. If LMA can carry the bulk of the offense and someone like Rudy Gay can close, this team could be very compe ive.

It wasn't a popular opinion but I said the Spurs were a top 3 team without Leonard so I'll be following that assertion as he continues to rehab. I don't see any chance of getting to the Finals with this team but for a regular season 'holding the fort' so to speak, we could be really good.

Mills/Green or Ginobili/Leonard/Gay/LMA could be really good. Pop not gonna play Murray to close. He deserved to play to close after Patty stunk it up and he made plays but oh well, we know how Pop is in that regard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool Weren't you in attendance tonight?
    Sorry I just saw this. I was indeed there and like a lot of what I saw. Getting the W was the most important thing, but I think it would be hard to have left that game without feeling optimism. Without Kawhi and against a pretty stacked team we looked pretty impressive. I especially liked the small ball with Gay at the 4 in the end. Murray played with a lot of heart and doesn't seem rattled by the lights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry I just saw this. I was indeed there and like a lot of what I saw. Getting the W was the most important thing, but I think it would be hard to have left that game without feeling optimism. Without Kawhi and against a pretty stacked team we looked pretty impressive. I especially liked the small ball with Gay at the 4 in the end. Murray played with a lot of heart and doesn't seem rattled by the lights.
    Many thanks for the good word. Always glad to hear from someone that was at the game that things looked as rosy in person as they did on TV. I am getting very excited for the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did people think he'd get minutes?
    Because he's white and has a decent outside shot ergo he's a poor man's Matt Bonner (that's pretty ing poor, we're talking Ethiopia).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many thanks for the good word. Always glad to hear from someone that was at the game that things looked as rosy in person as they did on TV. I am getting very excited for the season.
    Yep!

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Davis Bertains inc

- Only played four minutes...And we thought he was gonna get more minutes

Good defense (directing transition D / only one scoring play going against him (while guarding a smaller player on a switch)) spread the floor, kept a possession alive by at least rimming a 37' 3 with the shot clock expiring, came up with two loose ball rebounds, would-be assist to Green who missed the bunny.

Today's player fan.

Thread Information