Page 4 of 103 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathon Simmons Raves About Lessons Learned From Spurs

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/jonath...-learned-spurs

"I actually think I struggled in the Spurs system because I was like this (in and out) all of the time,’’ Simmons, 28, said recently, referring to the 14.8 and 17.9 minutes a game he played in two seasons in San Antonio. ``Pop always wants you to slow down and learn a lot of things and that’s was great for me because I learned a lot. But now I think it’s time to release the animal inside of me.’’

"(Leaving San Antonio) didn’t make me mad at all. For one, with all of the things that I’ve been through (in contract negotiations), it makes me understand the business of basketball a little more,’’ Simmons said on Thursday after the Magic conducted a lengthy practice to prep for the Spurs. ``I know now to never get emotional about (contract talks) because sometimes things just happen and you have to make the best out of it. I think I made the best out of it by coming here to Orlando and I’m making the best out of it with this team.

"Pop understood that and I explained that to him,’’ added Simmons, referring to his desire for a bigger role on the team. ``I told him that I just couldn’t play at the highest level that I wanted to there (in San Antonio). I want to become great and play against those elite guys every night myself. He tipped his hat to me and told me if I ever needed anything else from him he’d be there for me. We still have a great relationship and I’m looking forward to seeing him.’’

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathon Simmons Raves About Lessons Learned From Spurs

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/jonath...-learned-spurs

"I actually think I struggled in the Spurs system because I was like this (in and out) all of the time,’’ Simmons, 28, said recently, referring to the 14.8 and 17.9 minutes a game he played in two seasons in San Antonio. ``Pop always wants you to slow down and learn a lot of things and that’s was great for me because I learned a lot. But now I think it’s time to release the animal inside of me.’’

"(Leaving San Antonio) didn’t make me mad at all. For one, with all of the things that I’ve been through (in contract negotiations), it makes me understand the business of basketball a little more,’’ Simmons said on Thursday after the Magic conducted a lengthy practice to prep for the Spurs. ``I know now to never get emotional about (contract talks) because sometimes things just happen and you have to make the best out of it. I think I made the best out of it by coming here to Orlando and I’m making the best out of it with this team.

"Pop understood that and I explained that to him,’’ added Simmons, referring to his desire for a bigger role on the team. ``I told him that I just couldn’t play at the highest level that I wanted to there (in San Antonio). I want to become great and play against those elite guys every night myself. He tipped his hat to me and told me if I ever needed anything else from him he’d be there for me. We still have a great relationship and I’m looking forward to seeing him.’’

Thanks for sharing. That is exactly what I thought based on prior statements he and his agent said. He might have had a level of disappointment that the Spurs only made a QO but eventually accepted that it's just business. When Pop called him to tell him the Spurs still wanted him and what not, he had already made up his mind to move on to a different team. It was entirely his choice to leave. He's very clear about that and playing time and shot opportunities and role were a big part of that.

I agree that it's very difficult for a young player to get a rhythm (it's difficult for veterans too, which is why Pop still plays veterans despite them having a bad game and sometimes some 0fers consecutively like Manu in the playoffs)... When your playing time varies and is unpredictable it's even more difficult to get a rhythm... and if we are honest although he doesn't mention it, when your touches and opportunities are small even when you play.

One aspect that I always mentioned with Kyle, but with the hate wagon trollsters here it's pointless to mention, is that he's never gotten regular playing time either. Even less than JSimms got last season, who at least played in the regular rotation... and on top of that, Kyle never knew the spot Pop wanted him to play or in what lineup. Unsurprising then that he has now scored in double figures 3 out of 4 games (1 of them scoring 9 points, so he was close, although he didn't shoot the ball well in that game) and had one double double, and a near double double in the season opener since he pulled down 9 boards. All these numbers were as a starting forward, once in a closing lineup, and not statpadding numbers or garbage time lineup numbers. He only scored in double figures 4 times in 72 games last season, a product of playing garbage time lineups and unknown spots with unpredictable rotations.

I think Kyle showed up last season in the playoffs when given sufficient playing time and opportunities. Although much ballyhoo was made of JSimms also showing up (deservedly I have to emphasize)... Kyle played well in the postseason and is now playing well in the regular season as a rotation player. I think he will find himself in a spot similar to JSimms.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for sharing. That is exactly what I thought based on prior statements he and his agent said. He might have had a level of disappointment that the Spurs only made a QO but eventually accepted that it's just business. When Pop called him to tell him the Spurs still wanted him and what not, he had already made up his mind to move on to a different team. It was entirely his choice to leave. He's very clear about that and playing time and shot opportunities and role were a big part of that.

I agree that it's very difficult for a young player to get a rhythm (it's difficult for veterans too, which is why Pop still plays veterans despite them having a bad game and sometimes some 0fers consecutively like Manu in the playoffs)... When your playing time varies and is unpredictable it's even more difficult to get a rhythm... and if we are honest although he doesn't mention it, when your touches and opportunities are small even when you play.

One aspect that I always mentioned with Kyle, but with the hate wagon trollsters here it's pointless to mention, is that he's never gotten regular playing time either. Even less than JSimms got last season, who at least played in the regular rotation... and on top of that, Kyle never knew the spot Pop wanted him to play or in what lineup. Unsurprising then that he has now scored in double figures 3 out of 4 games (1 of them scoring 9 points, so he was close, although he didn't shoot the ball well in that game) and had one double double, and a near double double in the season opener since he pulled down 9 boards. All these numbers were as a starting forward, once in a closing lineup, and not statpadding numbers or garbage time lineup numbers. He only scored in double figures 4 times in 72 games last season, a product of playing garbage time lineups and unknown spots with unpredictable rotations.

I think Kyle showed up last season in the playoffs when given sufficient playing time and opportunities. Although much ballyhoo was made of JSimms also showing up (deservedly I have to emphasize)... Kyle played well in the postseason and is now playing well in the regular season as a rotation player. I think he will find himself in a spot similar to JSimms.
    Well just want to add that Kyle didn't play with this level of aggressiveness last year. He is much more confident this season and looking for his own shot. Whether he was comfortable or not he was still very hesistant in his first 3 seasons, so I'm not gonna go that far. Looked like he didn't want to step on anyone's toes. Now it's to the point that the lineups he's playing with are looking for him to facilitate. In the Murray/Paul/Green/Anderson/LMA lineup, he was the go to guy to make something happen. The offense was a little bogged down but still it shows where the team places him in the heirarchy. He's moving up the totem pole and I think Simmons leaving opens the door for him staying. He's becoming intricate to the rotation with his combination of playmaking on both sides of the ball. Hope he starts when Parker and Leonard come back, but with this new article about Pau's desire to remain a starter, it's gonna put Pop in a tough place with a tough decision to make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons said the right things. It's nice to believe him on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well just want to add that Kyle didn't play with this level of aggressiveness last year. He is much more confident this season and looking for his own shot. Whether he was comfortable or not he was still very hesistant in his first 3 seasons, so I'm not gonna go that far. Looked like he didn't want to step on anyone's toes. Now it's to the point that the lineups he's playing with are looking for him to facilitate. In the Murray/Paul/Green/Anderson/LMA lineup, he was the go to guy to make something happen. The offense was a little bogged down but still it shows where the team places him in the heirarchy. He's moving up the totem pole and I think Simmons leaving opens the door for him staying. He's becoming intricate to the rotation with his combination of playmaking on both sides of the ball. Hope he starts when Parker and Leonard come back, but with this new article about Pau's desire to remain a starter, it's gonna put Pop in a tough place with a tough decision to make.
    That's a good point, He gave some interviews at the opening of the season that showed a level of hunger he didn't openly display before. As Simmons said, Pop slows young guys down. He wants them to watch learn, develop. Pop also admitted he never previously really committed to him in a specific role either, he was just fit in wherever.

However, I truly believe although he didn't play that much last season, Kyle was aggressive towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. He gained confidence and I am glad it's here to stay. In doing that, he got the coach's confidence too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a good point, He gave some interviews at the opening of the season that showed a level of hunger he didn't openly display before. As Simmons said, Pop slows young guys down. He wants them to watch learn, develop. Pop also admitted he never previously really committed to him in a specific role either, he was just fit in wherever.

However, I truly believe although he didn't play that much last season, Kyle was aggressive towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. He gained confidence and I am glad it's here to stay. In doing that, he got the coach's confidence too.
    Sometimes it takes a snail more time to come out of it's s . Especially when they feel encouraged to stay in said domicile.
    There is no better time for Kyle to come and claim some skins than right now.
    He's started things off right, but let's go more and keep that up.

His success is this team's success.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I chuckled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In case you missed it in the BP3 thread:

It's a podcast with Brandon Paul and Alex Kennedy.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/10/26/bran...ture-and-more/

In the latest episode of The HoopsHype Podcast, San Antonio Spurs guard Brandon Paul joins Alex Kennedy for a wide-ranging conversation. Some of the topics they discussed include…

0:30: What factored into Brandon’s free agency decision and why he ultimately joined the Spurs.

1:05: The Spurs are described as the model organization in all of professional sports. Brandon discusses his first impression of the franchise.

2:45: Brandon bounced around the NBA a bit prior to joining the Spurs. What did he learn from all of those short training-camp invites and Summer-League stints, and how frustrating was it back then to come so close to being in the NBA but come up short?

4:00: How different is this year’s experience with the Spurs, knowing he has some job security and can focus entirely on developing and fitting in?

5:20: For those who don’t know Brandon’s game, he shares what he’ll try to provide the Spurs and what the coaches have asked from him.

6:20: Brandon talks about how the team prepared for the season, how they looked behind the scenes and what makes Spurs teams so great year after year.

7:25: Gregg Popovich is obviously one of the best coaches in NBA history. What has Brandon’s experience with Pop been like so far, and how is he from a communication and teaching standpoint?

8:40: As a guard, it doesn’t get much better than learning from Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. Brandon discusses how much they’ve helped him so far and what it’s like playing with them.

9:40: People are talking more about the Golden State Warriors, Houston Rockets and Oklahoma City Thunder when they discuss Western Conference contenders. Do the Spurs’ players feel overlooked a bit entering the season?

11:10: Brandon went undrafted and then had stints in Russia, Spain, Turkey and the D-League before making it to the NBA. He discusses his surprise over being undrafted and then breaks down each of his pre-NBA stints.

18:30: When a player goes from being successful overseas to signing a minimum contract in the NBA, a lot of fans don’t realize they’re taking a pay cut. Did Brandon consider staying overseas rather than making the jump to the NBA?

21:15: Brandon got signed after doing really well in Summer League, which is tough because every player is trying to showcase their game in a short amount of time. What was that experience like and how much pressure is there since there’s such a small window to make an impression?

22:35: Brandon discusses his offseason training and what specific aspects of his game he focused on improving.

23:45: San Antonio has one of the best international scouting departments, so they’re aware of pretty much every player doing well abroad. Does Brandon believe his stints overseas made him more appealing to the Spurs?

25:10: After college, Brandon immediately traveled the world and worked in several different countries where there was a culture shock and language barrier. He discusses how that changed him as a person and helped him mature.

26:25: Rudy Gay was a splashy signing for San Antonio this summer. He’s coming off of the Achilles’ injury, but he’s obviously very talented and people are excited to see how Pop will use him and what he’ll do within the Spurs’ system and culture. Brandon discusses how Rudy has looked behind the scenes, how he’s approaching this season and what kind of production he expects from Rudy.

27:45: Kawhi Leonard is one of those freak-of-nature players who does crazy things pretty regularly. How has Brandon’s opinion of Kawhi changed now that he’s seeing him up close on a daily basis rather than as an outsider?

29:50: Kawhi is known for being a quiet guy; is he like that around the team as well? And who have been the vocal leaders of this team so far?

32:00: Brandon jokes about how his NBA 2K18 likeness looks nothing like him.

34:40: Brandon and Alex share their favorite TV shows of all-time as well as what they’re currently watching.

39:00: The goal in San Antonio is always to win a le. Does this team have what it takes to win a championship, and what does the squad have to do in order to accomplish that feat?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna listen to this podcast. Hopefully it don't got a ty intro.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna listen to this podcast. Hopefully it don't got a ty intro.
    I'll be the judge of that...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Injury Update: Kawhi Out 2-3 Weeks (Mind Blown)

Low pain tolerance, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid blazers... left Blake Griffin wide open for a game-winning 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow he even had time to pump fake and everything b4 getting off his shot.

I dont have a good feeling about tomorrow’ game. I feel like the Spurs have never gotten to a better than 4-0 start is that Pop uses the RS to work out the kinks in the team. And there are some guys that haven’t been at their best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow he even had time to pump fake and everything b4 getting off his shot.

I dont have a good feeling about tomorrow’ game. I feel like the Spurs have never gotten to a better than 4-0 start is that Pop uses the RS to work out the kinks in the team. And there are some guys that haven’t been at their best.
    Tomorrow is no game to be experimenting, tbh. If we lose tomorrow then we have B2B on Boston and then the Dubs. We could be looking at a 3 game losing streak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tomorrow is no game to be experimenting, tbh. If we lose tomorrow then we have B2B on Boston and then the Dubs. We could be looking at a 3 game losing streak.
    feel the same way. We got two games on the dubs, got to keep that lead for as long a possible, especially since we'll be playing them next Thursday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's that Pacers game in between. In fact, they get two days off between the IND/BOS B2B and the Warriors game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Last edited by SAGirl; 10-27-2017 at 10:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-jahlil-okafor

Sources: 76ers continue efforts to trade Jahlil Okafor

With the role of Jahlil Okafor further diminishing, his representatives and the Philadelphia 76ers are collaborating to find a suitable trade, league sources tell ESPN.

Sixers coach Brett Brown informed the local media on Friday that the 21-year-old center is currently out of the rotation and that the second-unit spot is Amir Johnson's to lose. The frontcourt logjam of Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons and Dario Saric leaves Okafor expendable.

Okafor has a fourth-year option of $6.3 million that the Sixers have to make a decision on by Oct. 31. According to league sources, whether they pick it up or not depends on the trade discussions, but it's likely that it's exercised.

At the moment, there are no frontrunners, sources say.

Throughout this process, he's been the consummate professional and has worked rigorously on his body. He's healthy and fit for the first time in years and is poised to thrive with a change of scenery, according to sources.

Okafor has only played in one of the team's five games this season, in which he registered 10 points, nine rebounds and two blocks in 22 minutes off the bench. His statistics dipped from his first season to his second due to lack of consistent playing time.

The No. 3 pick in the 2015 draft has been on the trading block since last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-jahlil-okafor

Sources: 76ers continue efforts to trade Jahlil Okafor

With the role of Jahlil Okafor further diminishing, his representatives and the Philadelphia 76ers are collaborating to find a suitable trade, league sources tell ESPN.

Sixers coach Brett Brown informed the local media on Friday that the 21-year-old center is currently out of the rotation and that the second-unit spot is Amir Johnson's to lose. The frontcourt logjam of Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons and Dario Saric leaves Okafor expendable.

Okafor has a fourth-year option of $6.3 million that the Sixers have to make a decision on by Oct. 31. According to league sources, whether they pick it up or not depends on the trade discussions, but it's likely that it's exercised.

At the moment, there are no frontrunners, sources say.

Throughout this process, he's been the consummate professional and has worked rigorously on his body. He's healthy and fit for the first time in years and is poised to thrive with a change of scenery, according to sources.

Okafor has only played in one of the team's five games this season, in which he registered 10 points, nine rebounds and two blocks in 22 minutes off the bench. His statistics dipped from his first season to his second due to lack of consistent playing time.

The No. 3 pick in the 2015 draft has been on the trading block since last season.
    I mean how bad is he on defense??? This guy would easily average 20 and 10 starting. He's elite offensively in the post. Does he not have any range?

Thinking he would make a great piece on someone's bench ala Greg Monroe. I mean we have Pau starting, can't be worse than Pau. I dunno. Feel for the kid. He's got to be cheaper than Noel tho and all Noel's haul was Anderson and Bogut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA TV with the goods tonight. OKC Wolves rematch and Warriors Wizards double header.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yall see the fight in GS... all just cliff jumping...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yall see the fight in GS... all just cliff jumping...
    yes, it's funny. a lot of things to learn from this for the young players and the old players didn't set the best example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, it's funny. a lot of things to learn from this for the young players and the old players didn't set the best example.
    It's a good loss early in the season, especially for the youngins like you said. We didn't come ready to play. Bill and Sean said it early that we were going too fast and LMA said the same after the game. I think Murray set the tone in a sense.

Thread Information