My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Anyone ever build one? Been tossing different scenarios out. Think I'll buy a pi grrl 2.0 kit. There's some really nice game boys but they are all custom hand made setups. I have light experience soldering so think I'll start here.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone ever build one? Been tossing different scenarios out. Think I'll buy a pi grrl 2.0 kit. There's some really nice game boys but they are all custom hand made setups. I have light experience soldering so think I'll start here.
    I would personally find the Gameboy design very hard to use for SNES games. For instance, I can't play Super Mario World for using my thumb for running and jumping, I have to hold the SNES controller the opposite way to use my index finger for running and middle finger for jumping. I think that would be pretty hard with a Gameboy design.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got 2 Pis collecting dust.

gonna install kano OS on one today

And the other one will think about handheld retro, home assistant or car gps...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cheaper to just use an old Android phone or tablet and use a Bluetooth controller.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got 2 Pis collecting dust.

gonna install kano OS on one today

And the other one will think about handheld retro, home assistant or car gps...
    Man Retropie is awesome. I play that er all the time since I got it. Especially SNES games on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cheaper to just use an old Android phone or tablet and use a Bluetooth controller.
    Cannot do hdmi out from phone or tablet

For $50 its pretty cheap imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man Retropie is awesome. I play that er all the time since I got it. Especially SNES games on it.
    Oh yeah ed around with it

But i got an older car and want a gps/stereo system that could also play movies and browse internet in the car

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Do you hold the n64 controller like this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ That looks like Fabbs holding his , tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this thing is sick
    https://www.autopi.io

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yo baseline what are some good roms for retropie?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yo baseline what are some good roms for retropie?
    You're seriously asking me for games on something with 30 systems on it? I'll throw out a few lesser known gems:

HERO on Atari 2600
    Halo 2600 on Atari 2600
    Karateka on Atari 7800
    Cadillacs and Dinosaurs on Final Burn Alpha
    Shinobi on Final Burn Alpha
    Shadow Dancer on Final Burn Alpha
    Super Mario Bros 2 on Famicom Disk System
    Yume Koujou Doki Doki Panic on Famicom Disk System
    Ninja Baseball Batman on MAME-libretro
    Ducktales on NES
    Solomon's Key on NES
    River City Ransom on NES
    Actraiser on SNES
    BS Zelda no Densetsu on SNES
    Ganbare Goemon Kirakira Douchuu: Boku ga Dancer ni Natta Riyuu on SNES
    Seiken Densetsu 3 on SNES (sequel to Secret of Mana)
    Shadowrun on SNES

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you hold the n64 controller like this?

I haven't touched an N64 controller in 20 years so I can't even remember how I held it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're seriously asking me for games on something with 30 systems on it? I'll throw out a few lesser known gems:

HERO on Atari 2600
    Halo 2600 on Atari 2600
    Karateka on Atari 7800
    Cadillacs and Dinosaurs on Final Burn Alpha
    Shinobi on Final Burn Alpha
    Shadow Dancer on Final Burn Alpha
    Super Mario Bros 2 on Famicom Disk System
    Yume Koujou Doki Doki Panic on Famicom Disk System
    Ninja Baseball Batman on MAME-libretro
    Ducktales on NES
    Solomon's Key on NES
    River City Ransom on NES
    Actraiser on SNES
    BS Zelda no Densetsu on SNES
    Ganbare Goemon Kirakira Douchuu: Boku ga Dancer ni Natta Riyuu on SNES
    Seiken Densetsu 3 on SNES (sequel to Secret of Mana)
    Shadowrun on SNES
    River City Ransom was so damn fun. I am unsure if it's the same developer, but the art styles are the same and both games are super fun, but did you ever play Dodgeball and Crash and the Boys Street Challenge on the NES?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    River City Ransom was so damn fun. I am unsure if it's the same developer, but the art styles are the same and both games are super fun, but did you ever play Dodgeball and Crash and the Boys Street Challenge on the NES?
    I never heard of the second game but I know Super Dodge Ball was done by the same studio. That's gotta be one of the most fun games on NES. I never played it back when it was new but came across it back in the Nesticle days and played the out of it then. Thanks for the heads up on Crash and the Boys Street Challenge. I never heard of it but I'll play any game made by that dev.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never heard of the second game but I know Super Dodge Ball was done by the same studio. That's gotta be one of the most fun games on NES. I never played it back when it was new but came across it back in the Nesticle days and played the out of it then. Thanks for the heads up on Crash and the Boys Street Challenge. I never heard of it but I'll play any game made by that dev.
    Really, really fun. You'll enjoy.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    That's how the band in the movie Scott Pilgrim got its name

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    holy crap! I've never soldered parts so small before. Got the thing up and running, to my disbelief. I may have burnt the amp out though. Sound is very quite. There is a pot on it that just maybe its cranked down? Still can't believe its working. Had to trouble shoot gamepad. Did i mention the parts were so tiny? Have yet to put it in the case but other than the sound, everything is working. Something weird about playing Castvania: SOTN on a homemade portable game console.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Cannot do hdmi out from phone or tablet

For $50 its pretty cheap imo
    Not sure how familiear you are with this project but if i add an hdmi cord, can i do hdmi out on this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure how familiear you are with this project but if i add an hdmi cord, can i do hdmi out on this?
    You could try using an hdmi splitter? But probably wouldnt fit your case?

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    You could try using an hdmi splitter? But probably wouldnt fit your case?
    Not using HDMI out. Using GPIO pins. I do know the custom gameboys that sell on ebay do. I don't know how to do that stuff. It looks like i need to configure n64 controlls somehow. Also select button puts it in to turbo mode for some reason. This thing rocks for gameboy games though. You could just tell they are configured for smaller screens and simpler gameplay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dsm man, have you seen this android tablet?

Speaking of imitation 3DS, the real New 3DS XL is pretty awesome for old school games on NES, SNES, and Genesis. Plus it has some nice N64 remakes like Starfox 64, Zelda OOT, and Majora's Mask. Though even on the official Nintendo VC emulator Super Mario World is hard to play (the only emulation that game has ever felt right on for me is on the SNES Classic). If you find a New 3DS, New 3DS XL, or New 2DS XL with firmware from 9.0.0 to 11.3.0 you can easily install custom firmware on it. If not you can buy a R4 cart from China to install CFW. It's pretty awesome for both new school and old school handheld gaming. Plus that cartridge will let you play DS games off a microSD installed into the cartridge.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    dsm man, have you seen this android tablet?

Speaking of imitation 3DS, the real New 3DS XL is pretty awesome for old school games on NES, SNES, and Genesis. Plus it has some nice N64 remakes like Starfox 64, Zelda OOT, and Majora's Mask. Though even on the official Nintendo VC emulator Super Mario World is hard to play (the only emulation that game has ever felt right on for me is on the SNES Classic). If you find a New 3DS, New 3DS XL, or New 2DS XL with firmware from 9.0.0 to 11.3.0 you can easily install custom firmware on it. If not you can buy a R4 cart from China to install CFW. It's pretty awesome for both new school and old school handheld gaming. Plus that cartridge will let you play DS games off a microSD installed into the cartridge.

Cool stuff but after getting PS4 I have little interest in retro gaming at the moment.

Thread Information