Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If "one dimensional" Bertans is benched why did "multidimensional" Bonner have so much playing time compared? Was Bonner a better rebounder? More athletic?
    Last edited by San Antonio Slayer; 11-07-2017 at 11:27 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If "one dimensional" Bertans is benched why did "multidimensional" Bonner have so much playing time compared? Was Bonner a better rebounder? More athletic?
    Better shooter ( .414 from 3 for his career ) and a better rebounder ( TRB% of 10.4 compared to 7 for Bertans ).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not at the top of my head in the last few years. Beli is playing good now but was down since we let him go. Gary Neal is out of the league, same as Blair. West is still a show. Beno made a career as a backup. Mahimni had one good year and has cashed in. Splitter is done. George Hill was a necessary for Leonard. Finley didn't make another rotation since we let him go. Joseph was a necessary for LMA.
    You could have also mentioned Baynes, who was about the same the first year in Detroit then worse his 2nd year. Boban's points were about the same last year, but he played in only 35 games. The Spurs put their players in the best position to succeed. Generally, they know how to use players better than other teams do.

Simmons might be an exception, but rarely does a player go elsewhere and "shine". Go elsewhere and have comparable success? Yeah, maybe.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better shooter ( .414 from 3 for his career ) and a better rebounder ( TRB% of 10.4 compared to 7 for Bertans ).
    True. Bonner could also hold his own in the post on defense, while Bertans has trouble defending any position. Bonner and Bertans aren't all that comparable, really. Bonner was a 5 and Bertans is a 4 that can sometimes play the 3. Bertans is more comparable to someone like Anthony Tolliver or Steve Novak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner wasn't able to create hiw own shot, he was a true spotup shooter. Bertans can create and score in your face three any time he is asked. Bonner still had much more playing time in his second year when shooting lower 3pts%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner wasn't able to create hiw own shot, he was a true spotup shooter. Bertans can create and score in your face three any time he is asked. Bonner still had much more playing time in his second year when shooting lower 3pts%.
    Uhhh no - Bertans's assisted FG% was a ridiculous 90% last season and this season he hasn't made a single unassisted FG. It doesn't get any more spot up/dependent than this. Bonner's AFG% usually gravitated around 75-80%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uhhh no - Bertans's assisted FG% was a ridiculous 90% last season and this season he hasn't made a single unassisted FG. It doesn't get any more spot up/dependent than this. Bonner's AFG% usually gravitated around 75-80%.
    com'n man, this season stat means . you know well what Bonner was capable of...he couldn't even make a mid-range jumper only a spot up three pointer. Even Danny Green is a better dribbler. I agree about defense though but only because Bonner seemed to be heavier and stronger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    com'n man, this season stat means . you know well what Bonner was capable of...he couldn't even make a mid-range jumper only a spot up three pointer. Even Danny Green is a better dribbler. I agree about defense though but only because Bonner seemed to be heavier and stronger.
    You're either trolling or just blindly hating on Bonner - he was a fantastic mid range shooter. Sure, he didn't shoot too many because this wasn't his job ( and neither does Bertans ), but he was deadly from 10 feet out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're either trolling or just blindly hating on Bonner - he was a fantastic mid range shooter. Sure, he didn't shoot too many because this wasn't his job ( and neither does Bertans ), but he was deadly from 10 feet out.
    not a hater at all imo Bertans is way better overall player anyway than Bonner at 4. and it would be another missed opportunity for the team if we lose Bertans just like we did with Simmons, Neal and Boban.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Times have changed and even as a known shooter and a good positional defender Bonner barely played the last couple of his seasons in the league. In of them his elbow injury affected his shooting. In the other season, his shooting bounced back but he became a human victory cigar almost exclusively in spite of shooting well still and being effective. Technically, he could have played more, but it felt like he was inadequate for the Spurs new switching schemes and other players took his playing time.

I don't think the final dice has been cast on Davis yet, but he's going to have to compete really hard for playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than Gasol, tbh...
    Gasol sucking so hard deserves its own thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not at the top of my head in the last few years. Beli is playing good now but was down since we let him go. Gary Neal is out of the league, same as Blair. West is still a show. Beno made a career as a backup. Mahimni had one good year and has cashed in. Splitter is done. George Hill was a necessary for Leonard. Finley didn't make another rotation since we let him go. Joseph was a necessary for LMA.
    Stephen Jackson became better on the Warriors, Ben became a legit NBA backup instead of a bench warmer... Scola was pretty good, Barbosa was a top notch backup, Green was a very good for the Grizzlies, Simmons is pretty good, and those are just off the top of my head... We have let go ppl that would have been very good backups or starters for us for nothing in return most times

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This bit from tonight's play by play might be a hint as to why Bertans is no getting minutes:

1:58 Davis Bertans misses 29-foot three point pullup jump shot
    2:02 Davis Bertans enters the game for Kyle Anderson

4 seconds to pull the trigger on a 29ft pull up jumper. Shot selection is a thing...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This bit from tonight's play by play might be a hint as to why Bertans is no getting minutes:

1:58 Davis Bertans misses 29-foot three point pullup jump shot
    2:02 Davis Bertans enters the game for Kyle Anderson

4 seconds to pull the trigger on a 29ft pull up jumper. Shot selection is a thing...
    Why do you take so much out of mop up minutes?

Bertans hasn't received an opportunity when it matters because the guys in-front of him have performed well. Nothing he can do right now, Pop can't play all 13.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bertans hasn't received an opportunity when it matters because the guys in-front of him have performed well. Nothing he can do right now, Pop can't play all 13.
    This

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he would a rotation player on a decent amount teams, not necessarily your Houston's, OKC's, and GSW's of the world but still.
    In Houston he would be starting and getting 30 mpg, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But Bertans started the season as a rotation guy and lost that position after half a game. I don't understand that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why? Because I am pretty sure that Pop pays a lot of attention to shot selection. He can live with a player missing shots, but he hates players taking bad shots (or not taking good ones for that matter). A 29ft pull up jumper 4 seconds in is pretty close to the definition of a bad shot to take...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? Because I am pretty sure that Pop pays a lot of attention to shot selection. He can live with a player missing shots, but he hates players taking bad shots (or not taking good ones for that matter). A 29ft pull up jumper 4 seconds in is pretty close to the definition of a bad shot to take...
    I doubt Bertans lack of minutes have anything to do with offense related stuff, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol sucking so hard deserves its own thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty manu and green pull up for three pointers all the time... On iso fast breaks... Bad example

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty manu and green pull up for three pointers all the time... On iso fast breaks... Bad example
    From 29ft? The line is at 23 3/4... I can't recall the last time the Spurs as a team settled for a 29ft shot, except in end of quarter situations.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Bertans lack of minutes have anything to do with offense related stuff, tbh.
    Sure, the rebounding and inability to play big don't help one little bit, but neither does this kind of thing.

Thread Information