Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's latest on Davis, after the 76ers game:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he almost got himself yanked out of the game in the first quarter for trying a stupid bounce pass. he cant afford that, given how much trouble he's had finding meaningful minutes. there's no excuse for him having 4 turnovers yesterday. he doesn't have the kind of role on offense to put himself in that position unless he just does something stupid

if he sticks to what he does well, he can be a difference maker for this squad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea.. I thought he came into the game trying to do too much... Any playmaking he does is secondary to his shooting. There are times he will be closed out hard, thus getting lanes to the basket and from there he can take his own shot or pass to somebody, but he started off just trying to get fancy and playing out of character. But he was resilient after that and played better.

He missed shots he could make but I am thinking he might not have had good legs for some jumpshots late since he normally doesn't play 30 minutes.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he almost got himself yanked out of the game in the first quarter for trying a stupid bounce pass. he cant afford that, given how much trouble he's had finding meaningful minutes. there's no excuse for him having 4 turnovers yesterday. he doesn't have the kind of role on offense to put himself in that position unless he just does something stupid

if he sticks to what he does well, he can be a difference maker for this squad
    I've been saying it; Poop ed this kid's head up pretty good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will be the one to recruit Pozingis to the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a ing shame that this guy needs to have 4 wings out of the rotation to get playing time.

Bertans > Gay, Anderson or any other player that Pop prefers to play over him, tbh. He just needs time and confidence to be a difference maker on this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's really been special since Gay went down. Should be the third big the rest of the way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With games like this, it's too bad the Spurs will be too cash-strapped to afford to keep Bertans this summer.

Time to let him go for cheap and replace him with a new minimum guy like Simmons and Paul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do wonder about the conundrum with Rudy Gay bc he's really who's blocked Davis, not Anderson who plays a whole lot more as a wing than a big lately.
    It's a problem for Pop to solve.
    Good thing Kyle has played well enough to get himself a deal somewhere this summer too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With games like this, it's too bad the Spurs will be too cash-strapped to afford to keep Bertans this summer.

Time to let him go for cheap and replace him with a new minimum guy like Simmons and Paul.
    Need to preserve as much space to re sign Tony.

130 million going to Tony, Pau and Mills in one year.

It's amazing how much Pop overvalues culture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just couldn't get one from the team he's currently on...

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    He's really been special since Gay went down. Should be the third big the rest of the way.
    He's special alright, just not in the way you think.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans is the difference between first round exit and .
    Just sayin'.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good thing most of the league is cash strapped with cap creeping up only a little bit. But I could definitely see a team throwing the MLE at him for his shooting alone.

At least he and Kyle are both RFA which makes it easier to retain and helps keep down market value.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thing Kyle has played well enough to get himself a deal somewhere this summer too.
    Good luck on whatever board is next for you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thing most of the league is cash strapped with cap creeping up only a little bit. But I could definitely see a team throwing the MLE at him for his shooting alone.

At least he and Kyle are both RFA which makes it easier to retain and helps keep down market value.
    The market is going to be tight enough that Spurs have a good chance to retain both if they want... but I wouldn't take them for granted. Sometimes guys want to just leave for playing time on relatively moderate/good value deals like Jsimms did.

Spurs do have an issue with Rudy Gay. Him and Bertans really play the same spot. Rudy is signed for a pricy deal considering injury history, current production, and if his body is not going to hold up. I don't know the answer to that but that is up for Pop.

Also, Davis was insane hot but got 0 rebounds playing as a big man for 31 minutes. He's obviously both talented and flawed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans is the difference between first round exit and .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The market is going to be tight enough that Spurs have a good chance to retain both if they want... but I wouldn't take them for granted. Sometimes guys want to just leave for playing time on relatively moderate/good value deals like Jsimms did.

Spurs do have an issue with Rudy Gay. Him and Bertans really play the same spot. Rudy is signed for a pricy deal considering injury history, current production, and if his body is not going to hold up. I don't know the answer to that but that is up for Pop.

Also, Davis was insane hot but got 0 rebounds playing as a big man for 31 minutes. He's obviously both talented and flawed.
    Easy fix, just have Pau come off the bench.

Starters
    Tony
    Green
    Kawhi
    Bertans/Gay
    Aldridge

Bench
    Mills
    Manu
    Anderson
    Gay/Bertans
    Pau

Problem there is you will have a 17 millons per year Gasol playing around 15 minutes per game, but that's another topic alltogether.

Since this scenario won't happen (at least untill the playoffs, where teams will inevitably force the Spurs to go small) I prefer to play Bertans over Gay, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Starters
    Tony
    Green
    Kawhi
    Bertans/Gay
    Aldridge

Bench
    Mills
    Manu
    Anderson
    Gay/Bertans
    Pau

Problem there is you will have a 17 millons per year Gasol playing around 15 minutes per game, but that's another topic alltogether.

Since this scenario won't happen (at least untill the playoffs, where teams will inevitably force the Spurs to go small) I prefer to play Bertans over Gay, tbh.
    I hope Pop figures it out. I agree with you plan. Gasol is playing really well and will still play a lot anyways. What worries me with Rudy is his injuries. I think that likely keeps him a bench player but who knows?

This season the team has been in flux due to injuries and it’s going to be interesting to see how they eventually settle down. I am going to stop saying when everyone is healthy bc we are already half way through the season and guys are still injured. Just got to enjoy watching them figure it out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Need to preserve as much space to re sign Tony.

130 million going to Tony, Pau and Mills in one year.

It's amazing how much Pop overvalues culture.
    I will keep saying this once again: imho Parker should be offered (and probably is gonna take) the veterans minimum a la Manu. That amount would not be that bad considering he's a veteran player with a lot of years played in the league. If he does not accept, bye bye... and he probably is going to find a market not that easy to him (36 years old and coming from potential career injury). Some people speaks about team culture but forget part of that is and has to be also on the players. Tp has been well paid also in his injured seasons and Manu has taken the minimum more than one time, this season and probably the next included (and for now is contributing the same or better than him).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You really are going to protect your boy KA to the very end. Give me gay at the 3 and Bertans at the 4 over anything with KA in the lineup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haters far from being found

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Starters
    Tony
    Green
    Kawhi
    Bertans/Gay
    Aldridge

Bench
    Mills
    Manu
    Anderson
    Gay/Bertans
    Pau

Have you been watching this year at all? Pau has not been the problem. He is limited against the Spurs two primary opponents in the west (issue for another post) but for regular season rotation minutes, he’s been very good this year. I hated the contract as much as the next guy, but it hasn’t turned out to be as bad as we thought unlike Patty’s.

You are also assuming Manu comes back. I think you can easily find minutes for all of Gay/Bertans/Gasol/Anderson. Issue is still the third big as Bertans can’t be that without rebounding and another penetrating guard should Manu retire. Maybe Murray develops more.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was an amazing shooting performance . The kind of games we usually see from the likes of Curry and Durant.

Bertans earnt himself a rotation spot . Liked how pop continued to ride his hot hand.

Wont doubt Bertans again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The transition from old to new should become more prevalent if Leonard is indeed lost for the season. The Spurs should look to move Mills and Green for more youth, athleticism, and or size. While the debate has gone on quite, a while, it may be time, as both Mills and Green are in the way as much as Gay of younger players developing.

Thread Information